IGNORED

With NA gone, can we finally talk about why some members got banned?

attakid101

Was NattyBumpo (or something like that) banned?  He use to post news articles and though I never could figure out how old he was, I think he mentioned being a collector waaaaaaay back in the 80s and he was a young adult.

I always wondered what happened to him because he was a legit "old timer" amongst us old timers.

7 minutes ago, RH said:

Was NattyBumpo (or something like that) banned?  He use to post news articles and though I never could figure out how old he was, I think he mentioned being a collector waaaaaaay back in the 80s and he was a young adult.

I always wondered what happened to him because he was a legit "old timer" amongst us old timers.

Hey I remember that dude, nattybohman I think (national bohemian beer is a east coast thing, idk we don't get it here)

I ran into his Instagram a while back, oo here it is

https://instagram.com/nattyb0hman

2 minutes ago, drxandy said:

Hey I remember that dude, nattybohman I think (national bohemian beer is a east coast thing, idk we don't get it here)

I ran into his Instagram a while back, oo here it is

https://instagram.com/nattyb0hman

That might have been him.  Was his avatar the one with a kid with long hair and a dirty face?  Looked like it was from a dystopian sci-fi or fantasy movie, but I couldn't place what it was.

Edited by RH

Just now, RH said:

That might have been him.  Was his avatar the one with kid, long hair, dirty face?  Looked like it was from a dystopian sci-fi or fantasy movie, but I couldn't place what it was.

Oh maybe it's a different dude because I remember this guy having the same av as his Instagram, ope

17 minutes ago, RH said:

I may be mistaken but seems he just up and left after a rash of a user making a topic and commenting on his "unique" postings that kept showing up on NAs feed or something to that effect and seems Natty departed not long after, or at least that was the last time I seen him post anything. 

Edited by MuNKeY

Just now, MuNKeY said:

I may be mistaken but seems he just up and left after a rash of a user making a topic and commenting on his "unique" postings that kept showing up on NAs feed or something to that effect and seems Natty departed not long after, or at least that was the last time I seen him post anything. 

Yeah, I wondered.  Like I mentioned, he'd just post random news articles to talk about.  He'd talk about gaming, but that was his "thing", it seemed.  I think some people were a little annoyed that once every couple of days, he'd post an article and it could create a little controversy, even if he wasn't the instigator.  Maybe people mentioned they wished he'd stop, and he left.  Again, he was a gamer before most of us, and I liked having someone around that was probably in their 50s and new about the early days of first-gen consoles and arcades.  I think for the most of us, our formative years started in the mid-80s.  The 70s is just a bit of mystery, learned from articles and not so much from individuals.

29 minutes ago, RH said:

That might have been him.  Was his avatar the one with a kid with long hair and a dirty face?  Looked like it was from a dystopian sci-fi or fantasy movie, but I couldn't place what it was.

His avatar was the feral kid from The Road Warrior.

58 minutes ago, MrWunderful said:

See below:

”backdoor compliments” in a conversation you didnt have

”disrespected” again, projecting your idea of “disrespect” in a conversation that you were not privy to. 

crazy how asking someone not to be an asshole is considered “disrespectful”

BA gave you more than enough information, and you questioned every thing he said. That makes Him look like an asshole. 

I sent him a PM when he signed up here asking him to be cool. In my message to him I said all of these "I enjoyed your posts", "you are welcome here", "thanks for joining us".

Hey mr. Wonderful we all like you here and we’re glad your here and all but can you do us a favor and you know, be cool? 
I wouldn’t be surprised if you said fuck you. To hell with this place and all of you.
 I guess disrespected is the wrong word to use. 

I’ll try not to ask to many questions from now on.

trying to hurt anyone physically or mental, on purpose, is wrong imo. I’m not trying to defend that behavior. 
somebody asked what happen to the guy and I was curious too. So I asked why he had to be told to cool off and damn if I didn’t get some real polite answers back. 

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

Editorials Team · Posted
1 hour ago, RH said:

He left for his own reasons.  I talked to him recently and asked him to join.  I wouldn't get your hopes up though.

21 minutes ago, skinnygrinny said:

I sent him a PM when he signed up here asking him to be cool. In my message to him I said all of these "I enjoyed your posts", "you are welcome here", "thanks for joining us".

Hey mr. Wonderful we all like you here and we’re glad your here and all but can you do us a favor and you know, be cool? 
I wouldn’t be surprised if you said fuck you. To hell with this place and all of you.

trying to hurt anyone physically or mental, on purpose, is wrong imo. I’m not trying to defend that behavior. 
somebody asked what happen to the guy and I was curious too. So I asked why he had to be told to cool off and damn if I didn’t get some real polite answers back.

To be fair, you've been pressing this issue a bit yourself. I mean, BA did try to explain it as best he could.

Loxx wasn't some user that butted a few heads, there are lots of guys like that here. He posted some pretty nasty things that are hard to take back, and so asking if he would play nice wasn't out of line. There's some stuff going on with Loxx that no one is sure he's got a handle on yet. I would have probably done the same thing, and again, I liked the guy for the most part.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, MuNKeY said:

Yeah, someone called him out on his random postings, like, "Why do you post this shit?" Not those exact words, but that was the tone.

Natty was a little weird, but mostly harmless. He was that guy who tried to strike up a conversation about anything just to get people talking. Every large forum has one of those.

Just now, Tulpa said:

Yeah, someone called him out on his random postings, like, "Why do you post this shit?" Not those exact words, but that was the tone.

Natty was a little weird, but mostly harmless. He was that guy who tried to strike up a conversation about anything just to get people talking. Every large forum has one of those.

Not to mention our resident "old head". He was a great guy to have around.

Editorials Team · Posted

I brought Loxx to NA.  I've known him for a long time.  I hoped it could work here.  But when you are banned from other forums for telling people to "eat a bullet," you're gonna have the mods' attention.

He's not banned.  I hope he comes back.  He can contribute a lot.  He just might need to stay away from drinking and posting.  

• Like 2

Administrator · Posted
Just now, Tulpa said:

It's true. There's a guy on the PlaystationTrophies forum I used to frequent (and still visit on occasion) who is exactly the same, always posting stuff like that.

3 minutes ago, Tulpa said:

Well, I don't/didn't see a problem with it. So what if he posts a not-related-to-video-games article every other day over in "Everything Else".  That's why it exists.  IMHO, conversations like that are like hanging out with your buddies to game.  Some times you have an all out death match, everyone's trash talking and the gaming nights are about gaming.  Other nights, it's just a couple of guys, you rotate playing a co-op title and you shoot the breeze while you play.

Talking about random stuff is like shooting the breeze. I hate that he didn't feel welcomed.  Maybe he'll give this place a try.

Administrator · Posted
31 minutes ago, skinnygrinny said:

I have a few comments for you skinny.  Please read and try to understand where we are coming from here:

1.  You are assuming they are backdoor or backhanded compliments.  You don't have the message nor the intent.  B.A. was just sharing snippets of the language he used in the PM, to share that he wasn't being outright hateful in his message.  There's nothing backhanded or backdoor about it.  We keep trying to explain this and I don't know if you don't believe us or are confused?  It is perfectly reasonable for someone to genuinely compliment someone or be positive about them in general, while asking them to try and be better here based on negative activities in the recent past.  There isn't some dichotomy here about what B.A. said that precludes him from both complimenting the guy and asking him to have better behavior.

2.  In the example above, perhaps you are right about MrWunderful and how he would react to a request to be cool.  HOWEVER, if MrWunderful went on a wild, hateful, negative spree in very recent times, using a bunch of slurs and acting very irrationally, to the point that he got banned, then the situation would be very different, and I would not expect him to feel justified in saying to hell with this place.  At that point, I would expect and hope for him to look inward and think....ya know, I'm getting a second chance here.  I was way out of line before, and they are throwing me a line here and giving me another opportunity to be a positive, contributing member.

That was the opportunity that was given to Loxx.  How he interpreted that is completely on him.  When people firebomb their way out of a place, it is very negative and makes us all look bad.  When negative slurs were made - not everyone knows that it's because some individual is drunk, or upset, or trying to get banned, or whatever the case may be.  It is bad all around and is very immature, to boot.  He was given a second chance here and wasn't banned (and still isn't), with a mere request to try to keep things under control, which I absolutely maintain was extremely reasonable given the circumstances.

3.  You are free to ask questions as you see fit - you are not being censored in any way.  We are trying to answer questions as we can, but hopefully you can understand now how it seemed like you were pushing  on it and judging B.A.'s behavior as inappropriate, when B.A. was only trying to help both Loxx and also VGS moving forward.

We have put a LOT of effort here into both making VGS great, and also trying to be very patient and understanding with former members, giving people second chances, and really trying to run this place with an open mind and open heart for new beginnings.  We really do try.  So it is frustrating when it feels like our intentions or actions are judged and questioned, when people don't really know exactly the discussions to which we are referring.

ANYWAY, let's all move on from this and try to keep things positive.  I think there is a very old, super-legacy image that the NA Mods (and now VGS mods) are just super ban-happy and love to just hate and cause trouble for people.  As Gloves shared earlier, that really isn't the case.  People don't understand or know the true lengths we go to, to try to make things work and give people opportunities.  I can assure you the effort is there.  It is a very thankless job, while of course one that we did sign up to do for the betterment of the community.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

10 hours ago, acromite53 said:

What was the whole deal with mods and the Tim Atwood ban? Am I allowed to ask? 🙊 All I remember was that there was some trolling or something. Then there was controversy about it. 

Man I never said anything on NA because the crowd had anointed him Lord and savior but I read him as a troll. Apparently if you were tight with him he was cool but his "stadium events coming soon" bullshit and some other things I don't remember came across as someone trying to get a rise out of people for their own amusement. Plus his 1998 era personal website railing against some local government entity did not paint a picture of a reasonable person. If he wasn't sitting on a motherlode of sealed games he would've been swept aside much sooner.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

19 minutes ago, Lincoln said:

Man I never said anything on NA because the crowd had anointed him Lord and savior but I read him as a troll. Apparently if you were tight with him he was cool but his "stadium events coming soon" bullshit and some other things I don't remember came across as someone trying to get a rise out of people for their own amusement. Plus his 1998 era personal website railing against some local government entity did not paint a picture of a reasonable person. If he wasn't sitting on a motherlode of sealed games he would've been swept aside much sooner.

Who anointed him anything but a troll?

I don't remember reading anything particularly positive about him or the way he presented himself.