IGNORED

With NA gone, can we finally talk about why some members got banned?

attakid101

1 hour ago, Reed Rothchild said:

He left for his own reasons.  I talked to him recently and asked him to join.  I wouldn't get your hopes up though.

Glad to hear he's alive, at least.

He struck me as being old enough that when you don't hear from them in awhile, you just never know if they're still above ground.

1 minute ago, arch_8ngel said:

Who anointed him anything but a troll?

I don't remember reading anything particularly positive about him or the way he presented himself.

He had instant celebrity due to the SE revelation. Maybe I'm misremembering but people were all over his posts. I agree he didn't present himself well at all but most people seemed to overlook that.

1 minute ago, barrels said:

MinusWorlds defended him to no end as a close personal friend.

Which is totally understandable but he was seeing a different tim than everyone else was. I've got nothing bad to say about minusworlds.

Just now, Lincoln said:

Which is totally understandable but he was seeing a different tim than everyone else was. I've got nothing bad to say about minusworlds.

That was my impression as well. And please know that I wasn't trying to disparage MinusWorlds by calling him out like this.

Others sung his praises too, but those seemed mostly limited to the few that got freebies from him. 

4 minutes ago, barrels said:

That was my impression as well. And please know that I wasn't trying to disparage MinusWorlds by calling him out like this.

Others sung his praises too, but those seemed mostly limited to the few that got freebies from him. 

Understood, I was just trying to be clear myself. Seems very much like a case of a good guy with that 1 friend you don't want to be around.

6 minutes ago, arch_8ngel said:

Really?  Guess I selectively tuned it out, because the troll-behavior was so blindingly obvious, and frankly, reached a level of genuinely acting like an asshole sometimes.

Maybe it was a silent majority thing then. I just remember there being enough attention I wasn't going to say anything to the contrary for fear of getting piled on.

Edited by Lincoln
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, Lincoln said:

Maybe it was a silent majority thing then. I just remember there being enough attention I wasn't going to say anything to the contrary for fear of getting piled on.

I mean, I remember him falling into a special category of "tolerated" (but still obvious) troll, owing to what he was bringing to the table to show off.

But I genuinely don't recall anyone saying anything nice about the guy, given the way he acted and presented himself. 

35 minutes ago, Lincoln said:

Man I never said anything on NA because the crowd had anointed him Lord and savior but I read him as a troll. Apparently if you were tight with him he was cool but his "stadium events coming soon" bullshit and some other things I don't remember came across as someone trying to get a rise out of people for their own amusement. Plus his 1998 era personal website railing against some local government entity did not paint a picture of a reasonable person. If he wasn't sitting on a motherlode of sealed games he would've been swept aside much sooner.

Nail on the head right there.

9 minutes ago, arch_8ngel said:

I mean, I remember him falling into a special category of "tolerated" (but still obvious) troll, owing to what he was bringing to the table to show off.

But I genuinely don't recall anyone saying anything nice about the guy, given the way he acted and presented himself. 

I do, because people were on his jock trying to get sealed freebies.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, MuNKeY said:

I may be mistaken but seems he just up and left after a rash of a user making a topic and commenting on his "unique" postings that kept showing up on NAs feed or something to that effect and seems Natty departed not long after, or at least that was the last time I seen him post anything. 

I wonder if I played a role in that...I'll be 100% honest there was a couple of us in one of Natty's news/historic threads one day that questioned his high frequency of posts and asked him whether he liked games/gamed/collected.  I do remember something about the NA feed getting mentioned too.  I also realized pretty quick that he stopped posting and felt really bad about it.  I regret saying anything, he had every right to post that stuff even if people weren't crazy into it.  I do recall one specific person that was a bit brash with him but don't wanna stir the pot. 

5 minutes ago, Boosted52405 said:

I wonder if I played a role in that...I'll be 100% honest there was a couple of us in one of Natty's news/historic threads one day that questioned his high frequency of posts and asked him whether he liked games/gamed/collected.  I do remember something about the NA feed getting mentioned too.  I also realized pretty quick that he stopped posting and felt really bad about it.  I regret saying anything, he had every right to post that stuff even if people weren't crazy into it.  I do recall one specific person that was a bit brash with him but don't wanna stir the pot. 

I liked the random stuff he would post and quite frankly, NA needed the traffic boost anyway.

I never understood why if it bothered other people so much, they couldn't just, you know, not click on those posts?

EDIT:  Not trying to single you out- that's directed towards the peeps that ran him off.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Lincoln said:

Man I never said anything on NA because the crowd had anointed him Lord and savior but I read him as a troll. Apparently if you were tight with him he was cool but his "stadium events coming soon" bullshit and some other things I don't remember came across as someone trying to get a rise out of people for their own amusement. Plus his 1998 era personal website railing against some local government entity did not paint a picture of a reasonable person. If he wasn't sitting on a motherlode of sealed games he would've been swept aside much sooner.

Lol the dude put me on his 1998 blog "do not sell to list". I guess he thought that mattered to me. The funny thing is, I had no idea why he added me. I literally said nothing. I made a comment or two in his thread but it wasnt anything attacking anyone or anything. Dude was a nutcase.

• Haha 1

Just now, Quest4Nes said:

Lol the dude put me on his 1998 blog "do not sell to list". I guess he thought that mattered to me. The funny thing is, I had no idea why he added me. I literally said nothing. I made a comment or two in his thread but it wasnt anything attacking anyone or anything. Dude was a nutcase.

Maybe someone quoted you and he copied the wrong name? *shrugs*

• Haha 1

I'll do my best to recall the atwood stuff. This is from memory and a lot happened in a short period of time, so I will be missing things for sure.

He was very polarizing, some people liked him and propped him up as a hero railing against the big money players, other found him to be an off putting troll. Most threads about him brought out a lot of both groups.

It started with minusworlds posting a really hard to make out picture reported to be a sealed case of Stadium Events. Many threads and conversations came from that about what he did or didn't have, what he might do with his stuff, atwood himself joining in.

As said some people liked him and some didn't, and atwood had no problem telling people what he thought of them either. A couple of times he made really large posts calling out people who said negative things about him, often with personal insults. The insults would get edited out of his posts by the staff, which he didn't like. At that point he started posting his essays about NA and it's members on his own site and leaving links, so it couldn't be edited.

He was a lightning rod. During this time a mod was talking to him and Atwood said something like "I should make a post just saying "TRUMP" over and over and watch the chaos. Sure enough he did just that, the word TRUMP over and over in different fonts, sizes and colors. I'm pretty sure that was when he got the temp ban. 

While he was temp banned his wife made an account and sent a bunch of the the staff a picture of atwoods middle finger, with the question "Tim wants to know if posting this is ok?" So use your head there, he sends a bunch of us the finger with the pretext of it being "just a question".  Of course the temp ban caused all sorts of drama (it was never once intended to he permanent), it was a week or two after the Trump thread.

When he came back we both admitted things could have been handled better. We should have been more clear in our actual warnings, and he admitted to being antagonistic.

So there you go. 

Or........

We were so desperate to keep the value up of our sealed copies of Stadium Events that we had to silence him as quickly as possible.

Take your pick as to which explanation you like best. 😉

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

28 minutes ago, captmorgandrinker said:

I liked the random stuff he would post and quite frankly, NA needed the traffic boost anyway.

I never understood why if it bothered other people so much, they couldn't just, you know, not click on those posts?

EDIT:  Not trying to single you out- that's directed towards the peeps that ran him off.

I don't remember who specifically was doing it but there was a trend of someone grabbing a topic from Reddit and starting a thread on NA over it. It very quickly became redundant for anyone looking at Reddit with any frequency.

I remember the Tim Atwood stuff really well.  For whatever reason, I followed that entire thread very closely from day one.

I always felt that Tim wasn't as much of a troll as he simply didn't understand typical forum etiquette.  I personally never had a problem with him, but I also fully understood why he received the temporary ban when it happened.  Of course a lot of people complained that the NA mods were overstepping their bounds, but I fully felt that they waited longer to ban him than they would with most people in that situation.  

That was one of those threads that continued to entertain for a pretty long period of time.

2 hours ago, Boosted52405 said:

I know several of us posted in the one particular thread, but I don't think his departure was over anyone particular (even though I think I know whom your referring to) BUT it's all water under the bridge now and maybe he will make an appearance here one day. 

2 hours ago, captmorgandrinker said:

I liked the stuff he posted too especially the WW2 stuff and other interesting things he posted even if it might had been dull to some, he seems like he would be a very interesting person IRL 

The Atwood SE era I think I read most of it when the shit hit the fan, but for the most part I think I came in after most of the smoke cleared, I do remember MinusWorlds being upset and disappeared for a bit then came back (or I may have imagined that) as if I am not mistaken I was on another hiatus at the time with my personal issues and just played catch up later on, I honestly can't remember now or I can in fragments anyway.

Edited by MuNKeY
added mo stuffs G

4 hours ago, spacepup said:

I think there is a very old, super-legacy image that the NA Mods (and now VGS mods) are just super ban-happy and love to just hate and cause trouble for people.  As Gloves shared earlier, that really isn't the case. 

In my observation, this is the case on many forums. Some people really have a hard time understanding rules, their existence or reasons, or the possibility that they could ever be in the wrong.

I usually find the drama highly entertaining, personally. Not to be a suck-up but I will cheerlead the site staff. Because I have an appreciation for clever writing often displayed, while the person causing it usually digs themself deeper and deeper.

If the rules don’t make sense in maintaining a good community I would leave. I mean somebody came up with them for a reason. When people think they’re above it all and get cut down for it that’s when I laugh. Thanks to the mods and admins in general here, on oldNA, and any good forum.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Quest4Nes said:

Probably because you’re a “dirty reseller”

• Haha 1

6 hours ago, skinnygrinny said:

I sent him a PM when he signed up here asking him to be cool. In my message to him I said all of these "I enjoyed your posts", "you are welcome here", "thanks for joining us".

Hey mr. Wonderful we all like you here and we’re glad your here and all but can you do us a favor and you know, be cool? 
I wouldn’t be surprised if you said fuck you. To hell with this place and all of you.
 I guess disrespected is the wrong word to use. 

I’ll try not to ask to many questions from now on.

trying to hurt anyone physically or mental, on purpose, is wrong imo. I’m not trying to defend that behavior. 
somebody asked what happen to the guy and I was curious too. So I asked why he had to be told to cool off and damn if I didn’t get some real polite answers back. 

I just dont see a problem with asking someone who made a scene to be cool. Agree to disagree!

1 hour ago, MuNKeY said:

The Atwood SE era I think I read most of it when the shit hit the fan, but for the most part I think I came in after most of the smoke cleared, I do remember MinusWorlds being upset and disappeared for a bit then came back (or I may have imagined that) as if I am not mistaken I was on another hiatus at the time with my personal issues and just played catch up later on, I honestly can't remember now or I can in fragments anyway.

I don't think he disappeared specifically over that, just his visiting patterns over the years tend to be in bursts of activity and then idle for a while.

• Love 1