IGNORED

Legend of Zelda: Tears of the Kingdom

phart010

Editorials Team · Posted

My copy actually arrived today, not in two weeks. I don't know if that was some kind of attempted "manage expectations" power-play or what.

But I'll start it soon, when I have enough time to really start it, and I probably won't even attempt to play on mother's day.

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, Reed Rothchild said:

Must.  Not.  Buy.  Backlog.  To be.  Played.

Lol, it's cute you think a backlog is something any mere mortal man can conquer!

We will ALL die with nothing to comfort our loved ones but a towering backlog of 30 year old video games looming menacingly over them. 😉

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 5/13/2023 at 6:26 AM, a3quit4s said:

But then again like how different was halo 2 from the original? Or Majoras Mask from OoT? 

From what I'm looking at with the screenshots and everything, this game looks a lot more similar to BOTW than those other games you mentioned. 

Majora's Mask was a radical departure from OoT in the fundamental structure of the game, with the time travel and focus on side quests and more complex interactions with NPCs. Not to mention, Termina was an entirely new world to explore, it didn't reuse the same world.

Halo 2 is more similar to Halo 1 than MM is to OoT, but it is also an entirely new game, it is a continuation of the story from Halo 1 with entirely new levels, many new weapons, vehicles and enemy types, and half of the levels you play as a covenant elite who has a very different playstyle to Master Chief.

From what you and others have said so far, I think I will be waiting a little longer to get this game, once my BOTW fatigue has dissipated some more. I just played a bunch of it last year and got bored with it again.

Editorials Team · Posted
39 minutes ago, OptOut said:

Lol, it's cute you think a backlog is something any mere mortal man can conquer!

We will ALL die with nothing to comfort our loved ones but a towering backlog of 30 year old video games looming menacingly over them. 😉

I take chunks of it, obsess over it, and repress the rest.

Just like the rest of life!

• Haha 1

8 hours ago, OptOut said:

From what I'm looking at with the screenshots and everything, this game looks a lot more similar to BOTW than those other games you mentioned. 

Majora's Mask was a radical departure from OoT in the fundamental structure of the game, with the time travel and focus on side quests and more complex interactions with NPCs. Not to mention, Termina was an entirely new world to explore, it didn't reuse the same world.

Halo 2 is more similar to Halo 1 than MM is to OoT, but it is also an entirely new game, it is a continuation of the story from Halo 1 with entirely new levels, many new weapons, vehicles and enemy types, and half of the levels you play as a covenant elite who has a very different playstyle to Master Chief.

From what you and others have said so far, I think I will be waiting a little longer to get this game, once my BOTW fatigue has dissipated some more. I just played a bunch of it last year and got bored with it again.

Like I said it’s fun as hell but I also haven’t played BotW in probably over a year at this point. The story is (sort of) new and there are new characters, the new abilities are interesting and makes the puzzles harder. Even though the map is reused, there are a lot of new areas to explore. The downside is it is almost a lot like playing a New Game+, you have to go out and do shrines all over again (they are different at least), gets hearts and stamina, get all the same armor and weapons, and play a different story. 

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, a3quit4s said:

Like I said it’s fun as hell but I also haven’t played BotW in probably over a year at this point. The story is (sort of) new and there are new characters, the new abilities are interesting and makes the puzzles harder. Even though the map is reused, there are a lot of new areas to explore. The downside is it is almost a lot like playing a New Game+, you have to go out and do shrines all over again (they are different at least), gets hearts and stamina, get all the same armor and weapons, and play a different story. 

Hmm, yeah I think that may be an issue for me, as I generally am not interested in the storyline of most games. I actually skipped all the cutscenes in BOTW because I found them boring, so I'm not exactly desperate to see what happens next, lol! 😅

New shrines sounds good though, I liked those, although I was maybe hoping for more of the traditional Zelda style larger dungeons to make a return.

Just now, OptOut said:

Hmm, yeah I think that may be an issue for me, as I generally am not interested in the storyline of most games. I actually skipped all the cutscenes in BOTW because I found them boring, so I'm not exactly desperate to see what happens next, lol! 😅

New shrines sounds good though, I liked those, although I was maybe hoping for more of the traditional Zelda style larger dungeons to make a return.

I feel like with the new abilities, shrines are harder but now there are so many different ways you can attack them. This game definitely allows more creativity. Having the Zonai devices is leading people to build some pretty awesome stuff as well. I saw a guy with a tank on YouTube lol

To your point about dungeons, I played the first one if you follow the advice for the recommended path - it was short and I didn’t even get hit once by the main boss (luck maybe?)

The best part of the game is still just wandering around and exploring for me.

It’s fun but I couldn’t recommend for someone that has BotW fatigue already. 

• Thanks 1

The package oddly arrived today from USPS, something new seeing that.  I got a few hours on it so far this evening, the bots are less annoying than the guardians that's for sure.  I hate to be that guy, but I've just not played enough to get into it yet.  I'm not quite warmed up to it, but it's not bad either.  The first shrine didn't make sense to me on the last gap, nothing I would stack worked, ended up having to make some crap barely balanced "modern art" sculpture to just get over it which took awhile.  The second shrine wasn't bad at all, that got kind of nice with the combining of items, it's a new idea given it's more than just bomb arrows and all that.  I did help those 2 pairs of koroks so far too.  I think having to constantly merge items can get a bit tedious, hope that doesn't get even more so.

But as it is right now I think maybe, I'm screwed, not sure.  I had a few mishaps along the way, lost my spare fans due to a drop from the rails as I made my cart too heavy.  And I only made what I could on fire food, and I've just got one left.  I'm at the top of the bottomless pit space, and nice seeing like like back(killed both.)  But now I'm screwed, used my 2nd to last to run around and get nothing outside the opening there.  Everything is icy, though I could go down to go up...splat.  I never had the original game make me feel uncomfortable with progression or the inkling of hopelessness, but this one is creeping there because if this cold zone is getting me this tapped out ...what's next.  I didn't want to lose the last 3.5m of cold resistance I have left so I shut it off for now.

FYI, maybe this game is easily accessible.  I walked into Target on Saturday and they had maybe 50 copies.  My wife said she had heard "everyone talking about it" online (everyone being wives and Moms) and she asked if I was getting it... then encouraged I should.

I wasn't intending to get this game for a while because I remember how I was sucked into BotW but when you're wife makes a game recommendation like this, you go with it.  I've played about an hour and I'm hooked.  Forget that it has a crafting element.  I'll figure it out/look up guides.  Hyrule is such a fun and cool place to explore.  It's nice to be back, even if I never beat BotW.

• Like 1

My .02 after playing this weekend, about 6 hours in.  No spoilers, safe to read.

Exactly like BOTW 2.0, but that's not a bad thing.  The new power-ups and functionality give this game an entirely different feel, probably a lot of ways to solve various puzzles and not so linear. The storyline is surprisingly quite different as well with a plethora of new characters.  Yet there are some inevitable cameos as you start seeing names of areas on the map later, should tie together nicely.

All in all, if you liked BOTW or if you missed it, this is a must play.  My only slight criticism is that the new functionality controls could be quite difficult or a little kid.  Even my 8 year would have difficulties with some of the mechanics.  Really seems like this game is geared towards adults or older kids.  Not a bad thing, but it's not a pickup and play for a kid to get hooked to this franchise. 

Edited by jonebone
  • Like 1

Administrator · Posted

I'm only a couple hours in, but so far I'm liking it.  

I'm "concerned" I guess you could say, that I'll find the crafting / fusing a bit tedious (depending on how well it is implemented throughout the rest of the game) - but the flipside of that is that it definitely makes for some interesting puzzles and you can be creative in ways you couldn't before.

I definitely like the "feel" of the game, and I like the new characters and story so far.  

I like that it is very clearly similar to BOTW and the same engine / world type, but it feels "different" enough so far for me, that it keeps things interesting.  

I'm too early to really give it much of a review or anything, but I'm definitely looking forward to playing more, that's for sure.  

14 minutes ago, spacepup said:

I'm "concerned" I guess you could say, that I'll find the crafting / fusing a bit tedious (depending on how well it is implemented throughout the rest of the game) - but the flipside of that is that it definitely makes for some interesting puzzles and you can be creative in ways you couldn't before.

I was worried about this as well. It looked very tedious to me in trailers.

So far, I'm having a blast building stuff. I surprised myself with how much I'm enjoying that aspect.

Administrator · Posted
3 minutes ago, CodysGameRoom said:

I was worried about this as well. It looked very tedious to me in trailers.

So far, I'm having a blast building stuff. I surprised myself with how much I'm enjoying that aspect.

Yep, tis fair.  I'm a couple hours in so I've at least seen it enough to find out how it works.  And I do have to say, it seems to be implemented well.  It's not the actual building part I'm concerned about, that is fine and interesting.  It's how they implement the necessity for it in certain spots, and if it feels like fun, or just another chore to get across the lake.

SO far, I've enjoyed it, and is long as it doesn't hinder world traversal *too* much, then it is fine, and will likely enhance many things about the game.  I don't want to give even minor spoilers, but I did really like some of the "traversal mechanics" introduced by having to craft things and use the environment to get from A to B.  Some of them were already pretty fun.  And to be fair, not overly complicated.  It's not like you have to build the Lego Star Wars Millennium Falcon just to get from A to B.

• Agree 1

Well, I've only completed the very first temple where you learn to move stuff and fuse it together.  I also got the chest on the ledge, so I think I 100%ed that temple.

At the moment, I am a tad annoyed with the controls for orienting stuff, but that's completely on me.  I just need to take the time and practice a bit more using the controls properly to align stuff, but I can get their if I put the "work" into it.  I don't like it when games make you work before you can progress (cough... except grinding XP in some RPGs because I'm a walking exception) but I'll get use to it.

It could be loads of fun.  What it will come down to for me is how integral is crafting to completing the game.  If it's kind of like Minecraft where there's so much to do, but so little required to advance, then I'll be happy. And to be clear, I'm not unhappy.  I think this is shaping up to be a good sequel.  I really liked Breath of the Wild and I put about 80 hours into it which is a tremendous amount of time for me to spend on a single game.  If I put in half that much time with this this game, it will completely be worth it and at this point, I think that will certainly be achieved, maybe even 2-3 times over.

10 hours ago, RH said:

Well, I've only completed the very first temple where you learn to move stuff and fuse it together.  I also got the chest on the ledge, so I think I 100%ed that temple.

If a shrine has a treasure chest icon next to the name on the map, then you have opened every chest in that shrine.  This is true for both BOTW and TOTK.  You can check for the icon on the map while you are in the shrine so you can be sure you have everything before you leave the shrine.  

• Wow! 1

I found one chest with some hot pants in it basically that seemed to cut the cold some.  It got weird after that though.  Got what I needed to leave purgatory in the sky, died on impact the first time, hit the shallows.  I could have gone toward the marker, but saw a shrine, then another, ended up making a wide arc and hit 5, tried another floating just out of reach due to crap stamina...cratered.  Did find the stables and got that pony card, but no horse to be seen anywhere.  I did hit the town up, and now the crushed castle town and just slept it at that one inside there, saw 2 more fairly near by west of that but it's after midnight.

The game kind of feels even more so than the first where it begs you to buy that $40 guide book that's either out there or coming soon like the last go around.  The shrines so far got interesting with a batting game, twisty blocks, powered devices, a robot vs you challenge(strength) and so on.  Kind of curious if I left something behind somewhere, but it's so vast and open even at this rate it's likely.

I kinda feel like this is the Tony Hawk 2 of new Zelda... just kinda of expanded on the same game, looks a bit better, handles a bit better, and the new ideas are enough to keep it fresh. It's definitely built on the Botw foundation but there's more than enough there from what I see for a new game/experience. I feel like the abilities alone add a whole new dynamic and work better together than the previous entry. 

• Like 1
  • Agree 1