IGNORED

Legend of Zelda: Tears of the Kingdom

phart010

I mean you can also encourage people to use new weapons by...giving them cool new weapons to use? Instead of just making their sword break so they have to use a stick, then their stick breaks so they have to use a club, because it's the only weapon they have, even if it's unpleasant and not their style.

I've only played ~3 hours of BOTW, so take this with a grain of salt but plenty of games have a variety of weapons and encourage people to use them by handing them cool stuff. If people have to be forced to use different items because a lot of them suck and aren't fun, that's not exactly a problem with the players for not wanting to use a stick, or preferring fast/slow/short/long reach weapons.

• Like 2

Editorials Team · Posted

brittle weapons just made me afraid to use weapons, so I was that guy who kept the strongest weapons I could find, but always used the weakest weapon I had. I never used arrows in Zelda games unless it was required to solve a puzzle or something, because I didn't want to run out of arrows!

• Agree 2

10 minutes ago, Splain said:

brittle weapons just made me afraid to use weapons, so I was that guy who kept the strongest weapons I could find, but always used the weakest weapon I had. I never used arrows in Zelda games unless it was required to solve a puzzle or something, because I didn't want to run out of arrows!

200.gif

• Like 2

But there are so many weapons to be had in BotW that you don't have to worry about that any more. Run out of good stuff? Sneak up on a Moblin with boulders or bombs. I never bought regular arrows at full price, you can tease bokoblins and get them free. 

Somebody on Reddit or something said he always used the most powerful weapon he had, and it made the game more interesting and challenging. I want to try that next time I play it, or maybe I will for TotK.

• Like 1

I've not played BotW in a long time. Years, in fact, and I've intended to break it out again and play it again.  I will say, I did buy a pack of NFC cards for Zelda characters and, uh... cheated my way to free drops.  It made the breakable aspect much more tolerable to me.

53 minutes ago, MrWunderful said:

I said screw it and started a new game on Breath of wild to  get my hyped up. What a good game. 

Using the highest damage weapons this time instead of hoarding them like before. 

Do you have the master mode DLC? The last game I played through was on master mode without beating the Divine Beasts until after Ganon and it was awesome. Highly recommend.

Edited by RegularGuyGamer

Am I the only one who is less hyped about Tears of the Kingdom with every new trailer? From a purely technical standpoint, I'm concerned about performance and not sure I even want to try to play it on the current Switch model. The graphics are borderline embarrassing from a technical standpoint and, even artistically, I don't find them particularly attractive. Also, the world looks extremely similar to the first game with the addition of some very unimpressive floating areas.

I will admit that the fusion system could be fun, but if there are no true dungeons, I think I'm going to hold off until the upgraded Switch releases. At least that would guarantee a smoother experience.

And to be clear, Legend of Zelda is one of my favorite franchises and Breath of the Wild is one of my all-time favorite games. I just think a lot has changed in the last 6 years.

Edited by DoctorEncore

Editorials Team · Posted

Well, I don't watch the trailers 😆

Don't care about performance either.  Yesterday I just played Fallen Order on PS5, Buck Bumble on N64, and 3D World on Switch, and I couldn't tell you the frame rate for any of those.

Then again I'm also far more forgiving and aloof than @DoctorEncore

• Like 1

9 hours ago, DoctorEncore said:

Am I the only one who is less hyped about Tears of the Kingdom with every new trailer? From a purely technical standpoint, I'm concerned about performance and not sure I even want to try to play it on the current Switch model. The graphics are borderline embarrassing from a technical standpoint and, even artistically, I don't find them particularly attractive. Also, the world looks extremely similar to the first game with the addition of some very unimpressive floating areas.

I will admit that the fusion system could be fun, but if there are no true dungeons, I think I'm going to hold off until the upgraded Switch releases. At least that would guarantee a smoother experience.

And to be clear, Legend of Zelda is one of my favorite franchises and Breath of the Wild is one of my all-time favorite games. I just think a lot has changed in the last 6 years.

I basically feel like this it's a huge expansion pack. Which isn't the greatest sequel. And rather than a new engine, which is what most of the best Zelda games (including II) are. Always disappointing when it's not a new engine. 

Bit I am still excited and I think it will be a lot of fun. I always want to spend more time in a cool LoZ world. 

As for this

9 hours ago, Reed Rothchild said:

Don't care about performance either.  Yesterday I just played Fallen Order on PS5, Buck Bumble on N64, and 3D World on Switch, and I couldn't tell you the frame rate for any of those.

didn't you see the stutter in the forest areas? It wasn't gamebreaking by any means, but it made things choppy and a little bit annoying.

• Agree 1

Editorials Team · Posted
6 minutes ago, Link said:

As for this

didn't you see the stutter in the forest areas? It wasn't gamebreaking by any means, but it made things choppy and a little bit annoying.

No, I don't watch trailers, remember? 😆

I won't watch anything for movies I want to see or games I want to play.  I want to go in as close to zero as possible, always.  I'm not even fully reading people's posts, so I can skip the details.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Reed Rothchild said:

No, I don't watch trailers, remember? 😆

I won't watch anything for movies I want to see or games I want to play.  I want to go in as close to zero as possible, always.  I'm not even fully reading people's posts, so I can skip the details.

I'm talking about framerate issues in BotW1 the previous game. I usually don't care about "performance", but in BotW it really was choppily detrimental to gameplay in the forest areas. 

• Agree 1

16 hours ago, Reed Rothchild said:

I wouldn't consider myself a graphics snob, but there is a certain level of quality that I expect from a modern game. The Switch is so incredibly underpowered that even first party games are performing at an unacceptable level. If you can't provide a stable 30fps at 720p (or 900p docked), then there is a real hardware issue and it really does affect gameplay. Just look at the latest Pokemon games. Yikes.

As I said, I'll hold off until reviews and probably even until Switch 2 (which I'm hoping will be here in March 2024).

On 4/2/2023 at 8:54 AM, DoctorEncore said:

I wouldn't consider myself a graphics snob, but there is a certain level of quality that I expect from a modern game. The Switch is so incredibly underpowered that even first party games are performing at an unacceptable level. If you can't provide a stable 30fps at 720p (or 900p docked), then there is a real hardware issue and it really does affect gameplay. Just look at the latest Pokemon games. Yikes.

As I said, I'll hold off until reviews and probably even until Switch 2 (which I'm hoping will be here in March 2024).

I am convinced that Nintendo is intentionally making games that noticeably slowdown on the current Switch. It will help sell the new console when you can plug your existing Switch games into it and play them all at 60fps. 

Tech companies (Apple!) have been known to intentionally introduce slowdown into older systems to persuade people to buy newer hardware. It would be no surprise if Nintendo was doing this, or at minimum if they just made the newer software push past the limits of the current hardware.

Hyrule Warriors Age of Calamity, Pokemon Violet, I’m looking at you.

I saw this 2022 article that talks about people noticing Switch slowdown:

https://www.slashgear.com/1061043/why-your-nintendo-switch-is-slow-and-what-you-can-do-to-fix-it/

• Like 1

I'd honestly be surprised if Nintendo did that. Their marketing strategy is entirely different from Apple's, and have never really been trying to ride the "replace old crap" wave. Usually they'll release new hardware and say the old hardware is still supported, but then just quietly fade it out.

5 hours ago, Sumez said:

I'd honestly be surprised if Nintendo did that. Their marketing strategy is entirely different from Apple's, and have never really been trying to ride the "replace old crap" wave. Usually they'll release new hardware and say the old hardware is still supported, but then just quietly fade it out.

Yeah, this is my perspective.  Plus we’re pushing 6 years on the Switch and still no official word on the next device, which is shocking in my opinion.

I think the next device will likely sell itself.  Nintendo has also never played the “better graphics” game but instead focused on better playing capability.  That said, they live in a competitive world and they both need to deliver something new and competitive with Microsoft and Sony.

You don’t have to slow down the Switch for it to look dated.  It was already mid-grade game hardware (compared to what consoles could do) when it was released and setting next to a PS5 or a Series X, it’s laughable by graphics alone.

Nintendo’s next system simply needs to just show up and be semi-competent against the current market for people to pick it up.  If they can make a 4k device close to PS5 capability, maybe without RT technology baked in, I think they will sell just fine.