IGNORED

Legend of Zelda: Tears of the Kingdom

phart010

86EA02F4-DC90-42B3-933A-941DC9ACF475.png.4fdd88c79e1e54dbc9281615eab5869f.png

what the heck. They just showed this at the last Nintendo direct with zero explanation or commentary. Is this the new official name for BOTW2 or is it something else? I guess it looked like BOTW2 and they gave a release date so it must be BOTW2

May 12, 2023

Edited by phart010

Events Team · Posted
13 minutes ago, phart010 said:

what the heck. They just showed this at the last Nintendo direct with zero explanation or commentary. Is this the new official name for BOTW2 or is it something else? I guess it looked like BOTW2 and they gave a release date so it must be BOTW2

Of course it's Breath of the Wild 2, what else would it be? Haha, they always have big announcements at the very end of Nintendo Directs, and they usually don't have any additional commentary associated with them.

5 minutes ago, phart010 said:

Nintendo dropped some clues for Hyrulean enthusiasts 

6E65479D-58B3-4FA0-AA40-3C89E45E7F8E.thumb.jpeg.b919d3b0c7f4d0aeec030f2563368ad2.jpegD2D7F56A-5192-496A-BA28-4D3FD706EE20.thumb.jpeg.03ceec1caca9cbca291b2c6e095160f1.jpeg

Interesting. It doesn't look like Hylian, or at least it's not any of the forms of Hylian I know of, it's not Gerudo, and it's not Sheikah, so it's either some other language that exists somewhere in the games, or it's a completely new language they invented for this game. It definitely looks like it could be translated.

Yes, it's BotW2.  Otherwise, they've dropped a trailer for a new title that looks almost exactly like BotW2 and they've not even given us any solid details on the first game of the two, which just wouldn't make sense.

I think it make sense that "Breath of the Wild 2" seemed like a working title.  The art style of the game is just too similar.

Anyway, this game does look like it might require a lot of climbing, plus I'm guessing at some point you'll be able to fly more than just glide.  If that's the case, it makes me wonder if they will drop the stamina system or, as the game progresses, items/power-ups will be introduced that make stamina unnecessary.  Imagine a bird you could call to fly anywhere, or something like a "stamina armlet" that basically gives you infinite stamina.  I could see that being a thing because it opens up many possibilities on top of what was defined through the BotW experience.

58 minutes ago, ZeldaFreak said:

Of course it's Breath of the Wild 2, what else would it be? Haha, they always have big announcements at the very end of Nintendo Directs, and they usually don't have any additional commentary associated with them.

They could have just been like, “we’ve renamed BOTW2 to Tears of the Kingdom. Hope you enjoyed the trailer.”

I guess the reaction is just what they were looking for

Edited by phart010

Events Team · Posted
47 minutes ago, phart010 said:

They could have just been like, “we’ve renamed BOTW2 to Tears of the Kingdom. Hope you enjoyed the trailer.”

I guess the reaction is just what they were looking for

Well BoTW 2 was never the official title, that's just what the community started calling it since Nintendo only ever referred to it as "The sequel to Breath of the Wild." It wasn't that they renamed it, they just hadn't revealed the actual title until now.

15 minutes ago, OptOut said:

Man, that trailer was real lacking in anything... Whole thing looks just like the first one... The whole overworld looks identical.

I REALLY hope this one has proper dungeons! 🤞

Well we've known for at least a couple years now that the base overworld is the same as BoTW. From what I gather, the idea they're going for is this game is to BoTW what Majora's Mask was to Ocarina of Time. Same engine, same graphics, same basic gameplay, similar artstyle, but different games. Obviously the surface will have several changes so it's not completely identical to BoTW, and in addition, the completely new stuff is the stuff in the sky, they're adding way more verticality to the overworld, and it seems like possibly cave systems too? So the sky stuff is completely new, and I'm thinking the surface will probably kinda be like the Link to the Past overworld vs the Link Between Worlds overworld, same basic layout, but very distinct from one another. And yeah, traditional dungeons is the big thing most of the community is hoping for, and I'm sure Nintendo have heard those wishes since that's been something that's been brought up since right after BoTW launched.

• Like 1

That looks surprisingly good for what little you can see.  Thankfully it appears to stick to the new format that saved the franchise from being a stagnant parody of itself.  The title doesn't sound bad to me, there is obviously some missing context here.  I'm curious to see more about these floating bits of land and that mechanical glider and how that works out.

I'll grab it when it arrives, but at this rate, with the delays and knowing what I've had eluded to, this could be another game that sees yet further delay, mirroring a time from now over a decade and a half ago where a certain Gamecube title got a dual release to the next best thing in gaming.

4 minutes ago, Tanooki said:

mirroring a time from now over a decade and a half ago where a certain Gamecube title got a dual release to the next best thing in gaming.

You don't have to go that far back.  That's exactly what happened with BOTW.  It was deliberately delayed and even had a little bit of content removed in order to release it on the Switch in addition to the Wii U.

Hahaha f traditional dungeons, they got just like the rest way too samey and re-runny too.  I'm glad they did what they did, as are the larger chunk of the fans and new fans who ran to this one and made some very impressive sales and scores under its belt.  Maybe it's best the old played out style of Zelda isn't killed, but relegated to remastered and b-effort titles like Links Awakening was among others put to 3DS instead of Switch.  Oh how I hope how that image just above is correct.  The sales of the franchise have been less and less robust until they made the dramatic change, get used to it.

• 5 months later...

I didn’t see anyone discussing this trailer, though it appears it is 8 days old…

I noticed all the text in this trailer is in another language, though it appears to have been posted by Nintendo of America.. maybe some other region leaked out a new trailer too early?

Events Team · Posted
3 hours ago, phart010 said:

I didn’t see anyone discussing this trailer, though it appears it is 8 days old…

I noticed all the text in this trailer is in another language, though it appears to have been posted by Nintendo of America.. maybe some other region leaked out a new trailer too early?

This appears to be fake. It looks more like a hack of the original to me, definitely not the quality you would expect for a first-party Nintendo game. And also, the channel that posted it isn't actually Nintendo of America, it's fake. It has 8 subscribers, haha.

Events Team · Posted

I was worried for a second there, because the stuff shown in that trailer looked, frankly, pretty shitty, until I looked at the channel, saw it wasn't actually NoA and breathed a sigh of relief, haha. Looks pretty cool for a hack, but no way Nintendo would let something of that quality slide for the actual game.

• 4 weeks later...

Nintendo released 10 minutes of gameplay on their YouTube channel today. It looked interesting. There's definitely some new ideas and new abilities that look interesting to play with. I just hope that they are fun to use. Sometimes these types of things get cumbersome so I hope that's not the case. 

• Agree 1

3 minutes ago, CodysGameRoom said:

Nintendo released 10 minutes of gameplay on their YouTube channel today. It looked interesting. There's definitely some new ideas and new abilities that look interesting to play with. I just hope that they are fun to use. Sometimes these types of things get cumbersome so I hope that's not the case. 

I don't have the time now to check it out.  Is it from the start of the game, like a 10 minute Let's Play, or is it intermittent cuts of various regions and dungeons?  Or just one long 10-minute segment in the middle of the game?

21 minutes ago, RH said:

I don't have the time now to check it out.  Is it from the start of the game, like a 10 minute Let's Play, or is it intermittent cuts of various regions and dungeons?  Or just one long 10-minute segment in the middle of the game?

Intermittent cuts, but around the same area in what appears to be near the start of the game, but not the actual start.  I'm assuming it's near the start simply based on the fact that the enemies shown are super low level.  

I cannot wait for this game.  So far, I'm loving what I'm seeing.  

Edited by TDIRunner
  • Like 1

I'm almost more interested to see how quickly this game gets busted with some of the new features than playing myself haha. Kidding aside, I am really excited to play and I hope that there are some more serious dungeons than BoTW. I am actually looking forward to playing the game having the knowledge from Botw since a lot will surly be similar. My only slight concern after watching the demo is that the building/combining of stuff will be such a massive part of the game that it could become tedious like a LEGO simulator or something.

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, Andy_Bogomil said:

My only slight concern after watching the demo is that the building/combining of stuff will be such a massive part of the game that it could become tedious like a LEGO simulator or something.

Precisely the same. I want it to be fun, not tedious. Also I hope it is intuitive and not obtuse. 

I found time to watch the video.  I didn't like that weapons broke in the first one but I could deal.  This one with the Scribblenauts level of crafting tho...

image.png.e35a1a8e7e34f2439c9191b78ce55155.png

But to be fair, I don't have anything against crafting but this does have an neediness of being crafty and creative like Scribblenauts and I just wasn't good at that game.  Building that raft seemed to make sense because all of the parts were lying around, but I swear if it ends up that for some dungeons you have to criss-cross over the entire map to acquire 10x craft parts and there's no guide for it, that's a recipe (pun intended) for utter frustration for me.

I choose to be hopeful, but other than simple "throw 2-3 elements in a pot" crafting, I get overwhelmed fast.  That's my personal hang-up, but it's legit.

• Agree 1