IGNORED

Legend of Zelda: Tears of the Kingdom

phart010

30 minutes ago, RH said:

Yeah, this is my perspective.  Plus we’re pushing 6 years on the Switch and still no official word on the next device, which is shocking in my opinion.

I think the next device will likely sell itself.  Nintendo has also never played the “better graphics” game but instead focused on better playing capability.  That said, they live in a competitive world and they both need to deliver something new and competitive with Microsoft and Sony.

You don’t have to slow down the Switch for it to look dated.  It was already mid-grade game hardware (compared to what consoles could do) when it was released and setting next to a PS5 or a Series X, it’s laughable by graphics alone.

Nintendo’s next system simply needs to just show up and be semi-competent against the current market for people to pick it up.  If they can make a 4k device close to PS5 capability, maybe without RT technology baked in, I think they will sell just fine.

I’d be nice to see them try and make some entry to try and compete but I just don’t see it happening. They will continue to focus on releasing quality games over graphics heavy games. They have been releasing underpowered systems since when the GameCube? Hasn’t really hurt them though besides the Wii U, they’ll just continue to be the weird kid at the table lol

The target market of Nintendo isn’t hardcore gamers and it never has been. Kids and families first. Shit when was the last time they even had a Call of duty on a system. Personally I’m glad the Switch has had a long hardware cycle without its successor not even being released. The Xbox One X and PS4 pro definitely stole thunder from the new systems and I’m just happy not having to buy new hardware since I don’t really play my switch that often. It’ll also be another 6 years till we get a next gen Zelda so whatever I’m playing on my OLED till it dies 

Edited by a3quit4s

1 hour ago, a3quit4s said:

I’d be nice to see them try and make some entry to try and compete but I just don’t see it happening. They will continue to focus on releasing quality games over graphics heavy games. They have been releasing underpowered systems since when the GameCube? Hasn’t really hurt them though besides the Wii U, they’ll just continue to be the weird kid at the table lol

The target market of Nintendo isn’t hardcore gamers and it never has been. Kids and families first. Shit when was the last time they even had a Call of duty on a system. Personally I’m glad the Switch has had a long hardware cycle without its successor not even being released. The Xbox One X and PS4 pro definitely stole thunder from the new systems and I’m just happy not having to buy new hardware since I don’t really play my switch that often. It’ll also be another 6 years till we get a next gen Zelda so whatever I’m playing on my OLED till it dies 

You miss my point "being competitive".  It true they've always focused on "family fun". but this day and age parents look at these details.  No, I'd be shocked if Nintendo released a $500 device intended to be "real" competition with the PS5 and we certainly will never see the day that in regards to raw gaming HP, they beat the competition.

However, considering the fact that the PS5 launched 2.5 years ago, and we're probably a year to a year and a half away from getting the next Nintendo device, parents, gamers, and kids will look at some of the technical aspects and simply do, do I want a device that is modestly underpowered compared to another device that's four years old and (probably) seen multiple price drops?  You eventually get to a cutting off point and I do think parents and kids, at least today, will look at a gap if it's too wide in regards to system capabilities and not be that interested.

What Nintendo does have going for it is that the Switch is a handheld, first, that you can dock and play on a TV.  Working with the handheld mindset allows for them to consistently stay underpowered, but if you try to push a device as a "TV" console, it still has to come remotely close to what it's compared against.  And even if you can sway numerous parents to consider the option, if Nintendo uses a device that is way too underpowered and the MS/Sony market share is large enough, a lot of 3rd parties won't even bother.  I know Nintendo IP is pretty strong, but still they need that strong 3rd party money. 

They've been slowly lagging on their finances for a while now and they are seeing a decline in Switch sales because people are moving on.  If they can't capture the attention of developers and gamers, this next system will be a flop By Christmas 2025, the need to somewhat compete with a PS5.  Especially if a PS5 Pro is also looming over the horizon, and I could see that being a possibility too.

Nintendo of America has a live "Official Trailer # 3" for Tears of the Kingdom.  I'm not sure if I want to watch it or not.  I'm at the point where I know I want to play it and I kind of want to go into the game knowing as little as possible.  

I'll wait to hear what others say about the trailer before watching it. 

1 hour ago, TDIRunner said:

Nintendo of America has a live "Official Trailer # 3" for Tears of the Kingdom.  I'm not sure if I want to watch it or not.  I'm at the point where I know I want to play it and I kind of want to go into the game knowing as little as possible.  

I'll wait to hear what others say about the trailer before watching it. 

Based on what you said you do not want to watch this trailer. I’ve learned more about the actual game than anything released as of yet. Even the gameplay trailer we got however many weeks ago 

• Thanks 2

Editorials Team · Posted
40 minutes ago, jonebone said:

It was a short trailer and it looks exactly as you'd expect from a Zelda game, good.  Looks like there will be some familiar characters of past as cameos in the game as well. 

Shit, I'm holding strong on not watching anything.  I can do it.  Going in blind.

Editorials Team · Posted

I'm stoked. I'm not going to have time to play it, but I thought that about BotW and life, uh, found a way.

I went ahead and pre-ordered a physical copy from a retailer. I'm all ready to sit and cry if they mail me a download code or tell me "oh hey we totally ran out, whoops, we'll send you one as soon as we have an extra in 4 months."

3 hours ago, Splain said:

I'm stoked. I'm not going to have time to play it, but I thought that about BotW and life, uh, found a way.

I went ahead and pre-ordered a physical copy from a retailer. I'm all ready to sit and cry if they mail me a download code or tell me "oh hey we totally ran out, whoops, we'll send you one as soon as we have an extra in 4 months."

Hold on a sec, will some retailers send you a DLC code for a game, and then ship you the physical when it’s in stock, if they can’t ship it right on launch? I prefer physical but if you could have BOTH, that’s be preferable in my book.  I don’t mind playing a DLC copy if O have a sealed copy on the shelf.  I just don’t want to double-pay for it.

10 minutes ago, RH said:

Hold on a sec, will some retailers send you a DLC code for a game, and then ship you the physical when it’s in stock, if they can’t ship it right on launch? I prefer physical but if you could have BOTH, that’s be preferable in my book.  I don’t mind playing a DLC copy if O have a sealed copy on the shelf.  I just don’t want to double-pay for it.

I’ve never seen that before on a switch/XSX/PS5 release. Like NES homebrews and things of that nature usually give you the digital and the physical because they have the game done anyways and it takes forever to get the physical. I got the iam8bit Garbage Pail kids game (which still hasn’t shipped) and they gave me a digital version for free. I’ve gotten that a bunch of times from stuff on kickstarter as well

Editorials Team · Posted
29 minutes ago, RH said:

No no, I'm saying that even though the listing says it's physical, I'm waiting for them to say "haha, hi there, yeeeeah, here's a download code instead." Or, in a different universe, "hiiii, we pre-sold way more than we had coming, so you'll be ok waiting a year until we have spares, yeah?"

So I'm ready to sit by the window, staring out into the rain as everyone else plays the game on release day. Got my chair ready and sad piano music cued up.

It might work out fine, the TotK Pro Controller said it was sold out of pre-orders, so hopefully there's a known limit and I got in before it was hit.

• Thanks 1

On 4/11/2023 at 6:02 AM, a3quit4s said:

They have been releasing underpowered systems since when the GameCube?

N64 at least. Adherence to cartridges limited graphics and sound capabilities as well as data capacity.

Even Super Nintendo - it didn't have blast processing 🙄 but yeah, they've never cared about specs. 

What about versions? I didn't buy BotW right away because I didn't have a Switch yet, and so I got the Explorer's Edition which didn't come out until later. I'm glad I waited, but are they gonna do something like that again? It would be a bummer to get a plain copy at launch and then something really cool comes out six months after. 

1 minute ago, Link said:

N64 at least. Adherence to cartridges limited graphics and sound capabilities as well as data capacity.

Even Super Nintendo - it didn't have blast processing 🙄 but yeah, they've never cared about specs. 

I would say all the way back before the NES.  It was the philosophy of Gunpei Yokoi that the entire company ultimately adopted.  He called it "Lateral thinking with withered technology".  The basic idea is to take a cheap, mature and well known piece of tech and adapt it to new ideas.  Ironically I think the Playstation followed this paradigm more than Nintendo did with the N64.  The tech used in the PSX had been developed by Sony back in the mid 80's. 

• Agree 1

13 minutes ago, CMR said:

I would say all the way back before the NES.  It was the philosophy of Gunpei Yokoi that the entire company ultimately adopted.  He called it "Lateral thinking with withered technology".  The basic idea is to take a cheap, mature and well known piece of tech and adapt it to new ideas.

You're totally right. My user name on NA was gunpei because I thought that philosophy was so awesome and I admired him for it. Thanks for bringing that in. 

15 minutes ago, CMR said:

Ironically I think the Playstation followed this paradigm more than Nintendo did with the N64.  The tech used in the PSX had been developed by Sony back in the mid 80's. 

I think I diverge with you here, though. Which tech are you talking about? before I respond to a point you're not making 

12 minutes ago, Link said:

You're totally right. My user name on NA was gunpei because I thought that philosophy was so awesome and I admired him for it. Thanks for bringing that in. 

I think I diverge with you here, though. Which tech are you talking about? before I respond to a point you're not making 

It was apparently something Sony developed for creating 3D effects for film.  The point I was trying to make was the technology they used in the Playstations graphic engine was fairly mature.  I learned about it in this video.

Edited by CMR

25 minutes ago, CMR said:

It was apparently something Sony developed for creating 3D effects for film.  The point I was trying to make was the technology they used in the Playstations graphic engine was fairly mature.  I learned about it in this video.

Ok yeah cool, I thought it was something like that. The true state of the art usually takes a long time to make its way down to consumer items. For instance HDTV was invented in 1972 and first broadcast in 1989. Just as an example. So I don't think that's historically unusual or that it the PS1 was outdated by the time of its release because part of its basis was worked out long before. 

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...