IGNORED

Legend of Zelda: Tears of the Kingdom

phart010

Can someone help me with 2 things I can't figure out?

1. Any time I zoom with something and I'm trying to be precise with the stick movements, the view is jittering all around and I can't aim at anything. Why doesn't it just stay still?

2. The game tries to direct me to pick up weapons but then it tells me I can't pick them up. WTF? Why does it provide me a weapon and then tell me I can't carry any more?

7 minutes ago, Code Monkey said:

1. Any time I zoom with something and I'm trying to be precise with the stick movements, the view is jittering all around and I can't aim at anything. Why doesn't it just stay still?

2. The game tries to direct me to pick up weapons but then it tells me I can't pick them up. WTF? Why does it provide me a weapon and then tell me I can't carry any more?

The first one is just the game responding to you moving your controller it has motion sensors enabled. This happens to me when trying to aim where I want my amiibo rewards to drop.

You have to try and pick it up for it tell you have no room which is dumb but that is the UX/UI. You can visit Hestu and trade korok seeds for more inventory slots for weapons/shields/bows

15 minutes ago, Code Monkey said:

1.  This can be turned off in the options.  It's the first thing I do when I start a new game.  I also turned it off for my kids who were having a hard time aiming.

2.  Even if your weapon slots are full, you should want to see which weapons are available to pickup.  If you see a weapon you like more than what's in your inventory, you can drop a weapon or throw it to make room for a new weapon.

Another welcome addition in this game is the option to remove a weapon from your inventory after opening a treasure chest.  In BOTW, you had to cancel the chest, go into inventory, remove a weapon, and reopen the chest.  TOTK is much smoother in that aspect.  

• Like 1

Finally!!!

Spoiler

Got the paraglider.  Early in the game I found some fabric that said could be made into a paraglider.  I also talked to Impa would mentioned a paraglider.  So I knew one existed in the game, but I had no idea how to actually get it.  I also couldn't figure out how to activate the towers, but an NPC mentioned talking to Purah, so I went looking for her.  I didn't realize finding her would solve both problems.  Having the paraglider and knowing how to open the map will really help a lot going forward.  Both steps were much more involved compared to BOTW.

5 hours ago, TDIRunner said:

1.  This can be turned off in the options.  It's the first thing I do when I start a new game.  I also turned it off for my kids who were having a hard time aiming.

2.  Even if your weapon slots are full, you should want to see which weapons are available to pickup.  If you see a weapon you like more than what's in your inventory, you can drop a weapon or throw it to make room for a new weapon.

Another welcome addition in this game is the option to remove a weapon from your inventory after opening a treasure chest.  In BOTW, you had to cancel the chest, go into inventory, remove a weapon, and reopen the chest.  TOTK is much smoother in that aspect.  

1. There's an option for this? What's it called?

2. I have to manage this myself? In every other Zelda game, if you needed something, the game made sure you could take the something, why doesn't the game explain this? Or is it somewhere in Twilight Princess / Skyward Sword? I haven't played those.

Another question, does anyone leave the default jump button configuration? Why is jump defaulted to X, how is anyone's hand supposed to work like that?

Editorials Team · Posted
On 5/22/2023 at 7:36 AM, Tanooki said:

I don't want to ruin things, but confusing also is the camera thing that popped up just south of the town base in the depths.  It's a primary, but is that necessary already or whenever?

If you haven't done it already, it looks like you have to do that quest to get

Spoiler

Robbie to leave for Hateno, so that you can upgrade your Purah Pad to get the Sensor capability. I was trying to get that as soon as I could, and it seems like you have to do that depths quest to get it.

As for budget cold protection,

Spoiler

In this game, the Fire Rod, Ice Rod, Lightning Rod etc are all replaced by just a Ruby/Sapphire/Topaz fused to a stick. I got a Fire Sword from someone at some point, and as long as I have that equipped, it warms me up. Yes, I swap it out for a different weapon when I want to fight someone, but it's easy cold resistance that doesn't take up an armor slot.

• Thanks 1

16 hours ago, Code Monkey said:

1. There's an option for this? What's it called?

2. I have to manage this myself? In every other Zelda game, if you needed something, the game made sure you could take the something, why doesn't the game explain this? Or is it somewhere in Twilight Princess / Skyward Sword? I haven't played those.

Another question, does anyone leave the default jump button configuration? Why is jump defaulted to X, how is anyone's hand supposed to work like that?

1.  It's the motion aiming option.  I don't remember what it's called exactly, but it's the only option related to aiming in the game options.

2.  Yes, you have to manage weapon inventory.  

And I do NOT use the default jumping configuration.  That's another option I change immediately when I play the game.  I always thought the default was backwards.  

Administrator · Posted
1 hour ago, Link said:

The X button is on top and it makes you jump up. The B button is the bottom one and you use it to get down.

I hate it cause you're right hahahhah!

I never thought of it that way.

But still, B just feels like the natural jump button.  I haven't changed anything yet, but I may hah.

• Haha 1

Spoiler

I discovered "The Depths" last night.  I had a theory that there was a third map level that went underground, but I didn't know for sure until I finally got down there.  My first time jumping into a chasm killed me, but I later realized that I probably needed a paraglider to get down there.  I also finally visited a sky area which was my first time back in the sky since the opening part of the game.  I'm starting to realize how much more game is in TOTK compared to BOTW.  

For about a week straight, I've had so much going on that the earliest I can even sit down to begin playing is around 11:00 at night.  I'm not getting much game time in each night and I'm probably way behind some of the others that are playing, but I'm still loving every minute of it.  Fortunately, I've still been able to find something really new and interesting almost every day.

@TDIRunner Same here, you saw that last (I think) comment I made where I went after midnight which is an issue since I'm up before 6 and shower before bed usually to keep the sheets cleaner...that sucked.  I'm liking it, but it's a time suck, so I still haven't moved on to the under side with the camera quest or to one of the four points still.  I may take a swing at it tomorrow since Friday night should be more chill.  Kid graduates 5th grade tomorrow, she'll hang out with her mom that evening in the back room and they like to have sleep over stuff which irks me.  I'll be able to stay up a bit later, use my roll out japanese futon bed and get left alone for more time. 🙂