IGNORED

Legend of Zelda: Tears of the Kingdom

phart010

This showcase demonstrated exactly the kind of game design philosophy that I want from modern open world games and part of what made BotW work for me where many other such games fail. Focus on giving players tools to explore, experiment and just have fun on their own terms. Sure, I was excited for Tears generally, but after seeing some of the cool ways they've opened up the game for the player...yeah, I'm down like a clown, Charlie Brown.

• Haha 1

'Crafting' will be a big part of the game since it's one of Link's abilities but I hope it's no more complicated or expected than say cooking in botw (relatively easy to not get caught up in and can play a minor role if you choose) . I can tell you upfront that I have no ambition to build a 10-20 piece vehicle in a Zelda game... it's not what the series should be about, so I'll be interested to see how far this ability or mechanic plays into the game. I did like the crafting of weapons though as that may take away some of the frustration with the first one when you're looking around for a good weapon during the first part of the game when now you can grab a stick and a rock and mess up some enemies.

I think this will be a great game overall and I'm sure Nintendo has thought of some really amazing stuff given that they started with a great foundation from Botw. I have that weekend off too 🙂

Of all of the crafting, I'm really interested in the options to craft with arrows.  I'm really curious to see how many options will exist.  

It was mentioned in the video that players will have lots of options which is good news.  I like the idea of a puzzle having multiple options to solve.  

Hearing that it's got what's sounding like a fairly rich and robust crafting element actually piques my interest, whereas before I was neutral, figuring that I'd wait until it showed up on Black Friday for $20 like I did for Breath of the Wild.  It'll be interesting to see where they're going with this in future reveals.

I like that there is more to do with monster parts. The Fuse ability is definitely interesting for that and other uses, but like others have mentioned, I am a little wary of it. Making the boats, like, why are there fans just lying all over the place? It's hard to suspend disbelief when stuff is overly laid out for you like that. It reminds me of the bad parts of Skyward Sword, like that dungeon was designed with tunnels specifically made to fly the Beetle through to unlock something. Setups like that don't make logical sense. It's bad enough in a simple platformer where the bad guy boss is just hanging out in a room waiting for you. Very weird in a complex environment and everything is set out like a scavenger hunt that you're supposed to complete to find that room. The sky islands of course also remind of SS. 

Regardless of that I'm still excited for this game and I'm sure it will be fun. 

Man I was bummed to see the breakable weapons again. But it seems like they kinda addressed it with a mechanic maybe? Ill wait until a few hours in to decide, hope it works out.

Also, it seems the sheikh(?) stuff is just an analog for sci-fi, modern stuff to give the universe a new direction. Tablets! Helicopters! Space ships! Im here for it though, Im a fan of the aesthetic.

You have to give the team credit for the game engine though, people are still finding new crap to do in BoW ant ToK looks like it expands on that a large amount. Starting to feel a bit of hype. 

• Agree 1

48 minutes ago, MrWunderful said:

Man I was bummed to see the breakable weapons again. But it seems like they kinda addressed it with a mechanic maybe? Ill wait until a few hours in to decide, hope it works out.

You have to give the team credit for the game engine though, people are still finding new crap to do in BoW ant ToK looks like it expands on that a large amount. Starting to feel a bit of hype. 

I dig it. Although I think it's silly that you can put a big rock on a damaged stick and suddenly it lasts longer than a new pitchfork. 

50 minutes ago, MrWunderful said:

Also, it seems the sheikh(?) stuff is just an analog for sci-fi, modern stuff to give the universe a new direction. Tablets! Helicopters! Space ships! Im here for it though, Im a fan of the aesthetic.

I don't consider it new. Look at the orbs and Guardians and other Ancient technology in BotW, the Ancient Robots / timeshift stones in SS, the Twilight Palace and Dominion wand in TP, hell, the laser statues in LttP... I think there's long been a touch of glowy sci fi in the series. To be clear, I like it too. 

9 hours ago, Link said:

I dig it. Although I think it's silly that you can put a big rock on a damaged stick and suddenly it lasts longer than a new pitchfork. 

I don't consider it new. Look at the orbs and Guardians and other Ancient technology in BotW, the Ancient Robots / timeshift stones in SS, the Twilight Palace and Dominion wand in TP, hell, the laser statues in LttP... I think there's long been a touch of glowy sci fi in the series. To be clear, I like it too. 

I know they always had the lasers and stuff but in the earlier titles it felt more like magic.

I feel like since BoW its gone that direction because the timeline has become so convoluted, and nintendo can do more in the games with more modern technology. 

Either way, Im starting to look forward to it and can’t wait to play. Purposefully not getting into anything else before hand because I just want to hit it full speed once it drops. 

• Like 1

Is it just me or are the most experimental Zeldas usually the ones that are the second for any given system? Adventure of Link as a side scroller, Majora’s Mask and the time component and the masks, now this game with the steampunk crafting cranked to 11.

Editorials Team · Posted
10 minutes ago, RH said:

Is it just me or are the most experimental Zeldas usually the ones that are the second for any given system? Adventure of Link as a side scroller, Majora’s Mask and the time component and the masks, now this game with the steampunk crafting cranked to 11.

And 50% of people will adore it and 50% will spit on it.

Editorials Team · Posted
5 minutes ago, a3quit4s said:

Did you play the Links Awakening Re whatever it is? It was very well done

Ah I need to check that out... 2024 backlog...

I also wanted to check out the Japanese-only LttP "sequel" Ancient Tablets or whatever it's called

• Like 2

10 hours ago, JamesRobot said:

Man, I need a new top down Zelda.  I just couldn't get into Botw.

🤔💭 ...Minnish Cap 2

This is the hottest take of the year so far. A preference for a top down Zelda over an open world on a modern console is a take I don't think I've heard since the release of A Link Between Worlds. 

• Haha 1

22 minutes ago, RegularGuyGamer said:

This is the hottest take of the year so far. A preference for a top down Zelda over an open world on a modern console is a take I don't think I've heard since the release of A Link Between Worlds. 

Nah hottest take of this year isn’t even Zelda related! TMNT Last Ronin in a god of war type game!

• Confused 1

6 hours ago, RegularGuyGamer said:

I can't agree.  Franchises mature.  They create spin-offs and forks.  Look at Final Fantasy and all that's under that banner.  They are all still "Final Fantasy" games, though.

Having and wanting a top-down Zelda game isn't really a hot take.  If Nintendo can make OOT and MM (which were branching toward the more realistic form of 3D environments) and then turn around and make Wind Waker with it's cel-shaded look, there's no reason they can't stay true to the original form and do a top-down/tilt-shift looking Zelda again.  I mean, they already have the engine for the remake of Link's Awakening.  Why not just make a whole new game using the same general approach?  It doesn't take away from TOTK or other future main-line installments, and there's no doubt it'll sell well.  Why not?  Oh, right.  This is Nintendo we're talking about.

Edited by RH
  • Like 1

Administrator · Posted

They still have the weapon breaking? Hah, interesting decision.  I know that was a major complaint from MANY people I know who played BOTW.

Nintendo: Must be realistic and have weapons break after a little use
Also Nintendo: You can magically attach a gigantic boulder to your tree branch, and all of a sudden it's good as new!

Now, I'm one of those who found the quick weapon breaking a major annoyance (mostly early on in the game), but I still loved BOTW and it certainly didn't ruin the game for me or anything.  But I expected them to adjust those mechanics a bit with this one.

Either way, I'll definitely be playing it and still very much look forward to it!

1 hour ago, spacepup said:

They still have the weapon breaking? Hah, interesting decision.  I know that was a major complaint from MANY people I know who played BOTW.

I approve. It's good game design, since it gives people a reason to frequently try out new weapons and tactics. Nice to see them ignoring all the complaints.

• Agree 1

Administrator · Posted

To be totally fair - I didn't so much mind the concept in general.  It's that early on, the weapons break SO fast, you're just constantly picking up random things to replace them.  I think there could be a nice balance in between where things don't last forever, but they don't break so quickly either.

Having said that, I also agree that it gets way better as the game goes on, and I still think BOTW was a fantastic game and that in no way ruined it for me.  I think it's unfortunate if someone let *that* item alone, keep them from playing or completing the game.