IGNORED

Legend of Zelda: Tears of the Kingdom

phart010

3 minutes ago, Reed Rothchild said:

Nope. SNES sux.

LBW is pretty sweet though.

Well I was hoping you would tell me that it starts slow but picks up. For some reason I thought Link to the Past was your favourite Zelda or are you messing with me? 🤨 At any rate I'm going to power on but was just curious because it does always rank high.

11 minutes ago, Brickman said:

Well I was hoping you would tell me that it starts slow but picks up. For some reason I thought Link to the Past was your favourite Zelda or are you messing with me? 🤨 At any rate I'm going to power on but was just curious because it does always rank high.

It's boring, yeah.

Editorials Team · Posted
1 hour ago, Brickman said:

Well who are you gonna believe?  Me, or this guy? 😏image.png.82c8e0ccf453c59197f45755d0111cee.png

• Agree 1
  • Disagree 1

Well, if you didn’t play BotW, it might be a bit overwhelming.  It does tell you about cooking and climbing, but it really helps to know a bit of that beforehand.  It’s been awhile and I’m really rusty with the controls and I have no muscle memory of what does what and keep almost chucking my weapon.

Anyway for those who remember the tutorial zone of that game, you get something similar here but much larger.  Took awhile to clear but I imagine you could spend a lot longer looking for chests and secrets.

The building and fuse powers look to play a major role and it is going to take some spatial awareness to figure out some of what they want you to do.  It also opens up some creative solutions as I was able to launch a glider and skip a good chunk of the map, so everyone’s play thru will be different.

Spoiler

image.jpeg.fb92e8fe1c5c54ed30237168a8c860b5.jpeg

Edited by fox

7 hours ago, Reed Rothchild said:

Nope. SNES sux.

LBW is pretty sweet though.

Yup because you said so, more so because fcgamer says snes sucks for...reasons. 😛

I won't have it until Monday if amazon keeps their shipment going as it should.  I don't care, it's fine by me waiting as I got some DVDs I want to take a swing at this weekend, and more NES/FC stuff too.

9 hours ago, Brickman said:

Not a troll question, but does Like to the Past actually get enjoyable? It's the only Zelda game I haven't played and I'm currently playing it but it's a bit boring. I just got up to the Dark World and so far A Link Between Worlds is far superior.

I think it's great. 

Caveat: I played it back in the day. Counterpoint: only a little, prior to 2000. 

That said, LBW is the same map with more modern gameplay. So I can see how LttP might seem... less compelling?

But it's Zelda 3. It does the same thing Mario 3 does, return to the format of the first game and greatly expand every single thing about it. So if you like Zelda 1, it's hard for me to see how you don't like it.

If you've gotten into the navigation tricks between the light and dark worlds, and have the boots and hookshot, and are still bored, then yeah, there's probably no hope for this one with you.

• Thanks 1

12 hours ago, OptOut said:

You guys will have to get back to me here once you've had the chance to play it.

I am pretty burned out on BOTW, and this game looks very similar to me, so I am probably gonna put off buying it for a while.

If you guys think it's worth playing even if you've already done the original to death then I'll give it a go, so lete know how you get on!

I've only played about 30 minutes of BOTW. I ran around, fought some moblins, climbed a tower thingy, went through a shrine, and got rekt by a guardian. I was pretty burnt out by the end of it too.

• Agree 1

Editorials Team · Posted
40 minutes ago, G-type said:

I've only played about 30 minutes of BOTW. I ran around, fought some moblins, climbed a tower thingy, went through a shrine, and got rekt by a guardian. I was pretty burnt out by the end of it too.

It's definitely like five million times longer than Super Mario Bros. 2 

6 hours ago, Link said:

I think it's great. 

Caveat: I played it back in the day. Counterpoint: only a little, prior to 2000. 

That said, LBW is the same map with more modern gameplay. So I can see how LttP might seem... less compelling?

But it's Zelda 3. It does the same thing Mario 3 does, return to the format of the first game and greatly expand every single thing about it. So if you like Zelda 1, it's hard for me to see how you don't like it.

If you've gotten into the navigation tricks between the light and dark worlds, and have the boots and hookshot, and are still bored, then yeah, there's probably no hope for this one with you.

It’s funny because Zelda 1 is in my top 5 Zelda games (maybe top 3) so I was excited to finally get into this game after putting it off forever.

I just found the first two dungeons to be a bit boring. However I did just return to Hyrule castle for the second time to beat the lightning dude and then went through the portal to the dark world. I did enjoy that part so I am hoping that now I’m in the dark world things will really get going.

• Like 1

Editorials Team · Posted

I hear stories of people receiving their pre-orders early. Well I got an email last night that said my estimated delivery date is now 2 weeks from today.

A home run for Splain!! 👏 I chose the correct retailer to pre-order from! Time to avoid spoilers until it arrives, or just download it like a normal person and return the pre-order in five months, after inevitably being delayed a lot more times.

• Sad 1

I don’t want to sound like a hater but I’ve got about 8 hours (which definitely isn’t enough for a game like this) in so far and it like just doesn’t feel like a new game to me. Don’t get me wrong I love BotW so I’m gonna play the shit out of this but…..I don’t know…it just seems someone who rides someone else’s fame ya know? 

Maybe I just haven’t played enough yet?

Edit: maybe a better way is to just say it doesn’t feel like a new game? But then again like how different was halo 2 from the original? Or Majoras Mask from OoT? 

Edited by a3quit4s
  • Wow! 1

I'm waiting. I've always been patient. Never bought on launch day / pre-order. 

I don't care about steel cases, posters (after NES era), or pins. 

BotW had an Explorer's Edition eight months after release. It was regular price, and just included the game and a nice book. I would be happy if they did that again. (There was also a map, but it was pretty lame)
I didn't even have a Switch before I got that.

So while I'm greatly looking forward to playing this and I'm sure I'm going to love it, for people who aren't receiving TotK ASAP, solidarity. 

2 hours ago, Splain said:

I hear stories of people receiving their pre-orders early. Well I got an email last night that said my estimated delivery date is now 2 weeks from today.

A home run for Splain!! 👏 I chose the correct retailer to pre-order from! Time to avoid spoilers until it arrives, or just download it like a normal person and return the pre-order in five months, after inevitably being delayed a lot more times.

Bro no chance 2 weeks = 70$ to me. Just DL and return. Or keep it and sell at a small loss later, or sit on for 10+ years sealed. 

And mine was here at 3pm PST, which is pretty solid. Downloading now, then gonna crack a beer and get after it until 10pm or so. Hopefully my wife makes dinner. 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, a3quit4s said:

I don’t want to sound like a hater but I’ve got about 8 hours (which definitely isn’t enough for a game like this) in so far and it like just doesn’t feel like a new game to me. Don’t get me wrong I love BotW so I’m gonna play the shit out of this but…..I don’t know…it just seems someone who rides someone else’s fame ya know? 

Maybe I just haven’t played enough yet?

Edit: maybe a better way is to just say it doesn’t feel like a new game? But then again like how different was halo 2 from the original? Or Majoras Mask from OoT? 

It definitely doesn't look like it's very different. It's the same engine. It's the same world. Again I expect to enjoy TotK a LOT, but it is a very straight sequel. Unlike most of the best Zelda games. I feel like this one will break that mold, but it is definitely more of the same (and better) but I hold no illusions of breaking new ground here. 

Editorials Team · Posted
13 minutes ago, Link said:

I'm waiting. I've always been patient. Never bought on launch day / pre-order. 

I don't care about steel cases, posters (after NES era), or pins. 

BotW had an Explorer's Edition eight months after release. It was regular price, and just included the game and a nice book. I would be happy if they did that again. (There was also a map, but it was pretty lame)
I didn't even have a Switch before I got that.

So while I'm greatly looking forward to playing this and I'm sure I'm going to love it, for people who aren't receiving TotK ASAP, solidarity. 

I didn't buy BotW for a year.  Same thing could happen here I suppose.  Too much shit to play.

• Like 2

Absolutely loving this game so far. I beat the intro section and when u get to the main world you get that feeling all over again like when walking out of the cave in botw. 

The crafting is hilarious (a little tedious and could be frustrating for some). This part worried me the most but so far it's really fun. 

I agree, the game could be a little much if u haven't played botw but if u have it's easy to get in to. 

Wth all the stuff u can do even without touching the story, this game is gonna take a while. Crafting and fuse add a lot to the game so far. 

• Like 2

21 minutes ago, Reed Rothchild said:

I didn't buy BotW for a year.  Same thing could happen here I suppose.  Too much shit to play.

Don’t you have any tiny inkling of seeing what the hype is all about? Especially because I know that you have played the majority of Zelda games and enjoy them.

Don’t tell me some random western developed LRG strategy RPG is more enticing than this 🤣🤣

Editorials Team · Posted
1 hour ago, MrWunderful said:

Don’t you have any tiny inkling of seeing what the hype is all about? Especially because I know that you have played the majority of Zelda games and enjoy them.

Don’t tell me some random western developed LRG strategy RPG is more enticing than this 🤣🤣

Oh, no I won't be able to get to those until 2035 🤣

• Haha 2

My copy didn't arrive until about 2 hours ago.  I started it with my kids watching and played about 20 minutes before letting them take over.  Now that they are in bed, I'm going to start my own game.  I made it very clear that they have their own save files and I'm happy to help them with their games, but they DO NOT touch my save file.  

• Like 1

Anyone playing the game?  Thoughts? 

Spoiler

I was only able to play for a few hours last night.  I finished the first three shrines and made it back to the main temple and decided to call it a night when I got to the door.

So far, I'm enjoying the game.  It's obviously an expansion of BOTW rather than an entirely new game, but we all should have been expecting that.  The new features are pretty cool and I was able to adjust to the building mechanic pretty quickly.  Some of the story feels kind of lazy (like the excuse of needing to visit the shrines to power up) since it feels like starting BOTW again, but with a different story and powers.  But again, that's hard to avoid when playing a sequel based off a previous game instead of a brand new game built from the ground up.  

Also, my kids were super excited when they saw they started with full hearts and full stamina.  They are still pretty young and don't know any better.  I immediately knew that something would happen in the fist 10 minutes to get you back to low level status.  Watching that sink in for them was pretty funny for me. 

• Like 2