IGNORED

Legend of Zelda: Tears of the Kingdom

phart010

My two daughters and I have been playing BotW Master Quest since release, I'm the one that has put more hours and while I'm enjoying it, honestly it's starting to become a little tedious and sometimes frustrating (particularly when NPCs tell you about something to look for in a particular direction, usually I'm able to find it, but in two particular cases I've been unsuccessful so far, and unable to perform certain upgrades).

On 5/26/2023 at 2:28 PM, Kguillemette said:

Great sky isle felt like much of a chore to me. It was very satisfying to finally leave it for hyrule. Now that I have the paraglider, I remember much about why I managed to put over 300 hours into BotW.

Agreed, it was a little long and getting used to the new mechanics and stuff was starting to feel like a drag by the end of it. Probably a good thing in the long run to tackle that stuff early on and encourage crafting but once you clear the island and jump below that is when I truly felt that feeling like Botw where I could go and do whatever I want. They did a better job of masking it in the first one with the plateau.

I have been off and on with the game for the last week or so because of other responsibilities but I am loving this game so far. I really look forward to playing it (which is rare for any game these days) and often have trouble putting it down when in a good session. I'd say I am just about 1/2 through the main quest and am just finally starting to feel powerful enough to take on some decent fights. I also look forward to the shrines more in this game compared to this point in botw where they were starting to feel like a chore.

I've really been focusing more on fuse and recipes as well, as I think they give much more potential in this game when you're still somewhat under-powered. I also just figured out you can rocket-shield when you're gliding as well which is really fun.

Edited by Andy_Bogomil

So after running all over the map, unlocking sky towers and shrines, I finally get enough for some warmer headwear and tackled the sky dungeon.  Kind of crazy to spend this much time on the game and I'm only beating the first dungeon now.

I beat the final boss so now I’m just wandering around exploring and doing some side quests. I doubt I’ll 100% the game but more like just play it until the interest fades. I didn’t realize how little I explored the depths so I’m doing that and chasing around 

Spoiler

Master Kohga 

• Like 1

On 5/28/2023 at 5:20 AM, a3quit4s said:

I beat the final boss so now I’m just wandering around exploring and doing some side quests. I doubt I’ll 100% the game but more like just play it until the interest fades. I didn’t realize how little I explored the depths so I’m doing that and chasing around 

Hide contents

Master Kohga 

I was messing around down there today and kind of got overwhelmed by how large it is. 

2 hours ago, MrWunderful said:

I was messing around down there today and kind of got overwhelmed by how large it is. 

It’s definitely easier to like drop down a chasm and explore around that and then drop down another and explore around that rather than try to traverse the whole place in the dark lol. I’ve broken so many bows and gone through a million bright seeds only to run around in circles. 

8 hours ago, a3quit4s said:

I’ve broken so many bows and gone through a million bright seeds only to run around in circles. 

If you R1 to throw your weapon and press C-Up you can select an item to throw, if you want to just throw a bright seed rather than burning thru bows/arrows

Alrite @a3quit4s or anyone else I think I'm stumped

Not sure where else to go to reach the Zora disturbance.  Already spent a couple hours running back and forth and talked to everyone in the Domain and surrounding areas.  Got the king's toenail.  Now I need to shoot it in a tear for the sky fish over the Zora bridge, or something like that.  Area is suppose to look like a fish and I can see something like that on the sky map, but have no way to get up that high.  Got the Zora Armor to go up waterfalls, but doesn't work on sludge falls (which seem to be coming from the area I think I need to go to.)  What's the trick?

5 hours ago, fox said:

Alrite @a3quit4s or anyone else I think I'm stumped

Not sure where else to go to reach the Zora disturbance.  Already spent a couple hours running back and forth and talked to everyone in the Domain and surrounding areas.  Got the king's toenail.  Now I need to shoot it in a tear for the sky fish over the Zora bridge, or something like that.  Area is suppose to look like a fish and I can see something like that on the sky map, but have no way to get up that high.  Got the Zora Armor to go up waterfalls, but doesn't work on sludge falls (which seem to be coming from the area I think I need to go to.)  What's the trick?

Spoiler

If you walk up a little from where you meet Sidon towards the sludge fish in the sky you should stumble across Zonai parts that you can make a blimp. Equip the Zora armor and float up and jump off into the waterfall and swim up. At least that is how I remember doing it but it was many many hours ago lmao

edit: wait maybe you use the blimp to land directly on the fish island rather than using the waterfall

Edited by a3quit4s
  • Thanks 1

19 hours ago, a3quit4s said:
  Reveal hidden contents

If you walk up a little from where you meet Sidon towards the sludge fish in the sky you should stumble across Zonai parts that you can make a blimp. Equip the Zora armor and float up and jump off into the waterfall and swim up. At least that is how I remember doing it but it was many many hours ago lmao

edit: wait maybe you use the blimp to land directly on the fish island rather than using the waterfall

Gah I saw that and didn't realize it was right next to the one regular waterfall.  Anyway made it up there.

• 2 weeks later...

I'm a little over 40 hours in and I'm still really enjoying it.  I now have enough hearts and stamina to stop getting my butt kicked.  I've beaten up a few mini bosses, but I haven't attempted any of the Main Quests just yet.  I'm still trying to avoid watching or reading anything online about the game.  I'm trying to do as much as I can without any help at all.  

I felt the TOTK tutorial in the sky was less interesting than the Great Plateau tutorial in BOTW.  So I felt that TOTK started off a littler slower, but now that I'm well into the game, I think I'm enjoying TOTK more than BOTW, even if only by a little bit.  

Spoiler

I absolutely love the music and the atmosphere in the Depths.  I recently figured out that the lightroots are all directly under shrines, and I've managed to locate a few shrines on the surface after finding a lightroot in the Depths first and using it's location to pinpoint a shrine.  I also noticed that the lightroot names are the same as the corresponding shrine, but with the letters reversed.    

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

One thing that I feel should have been improved is the combat. The trigger times just don't activate from time to time, or worse, you get clipped while actively dodging an attack. I also find it tough to judge when some enemies do certain attacks as you hit them and next thing you know half your hearts are gone from a headbutt or some subtle melee attack. I actually find a lot of the bigger enemies easier for this reason. The camera can also be a little frustrating in close combat, especially with the red-hands when they grab you and the camera doesn't reset properly. A small complaint but something I felt could have been optimized a little bit from Botw. Overall still really liking the game. Could probably beat it whenever at this point.

Edited by Andy_Bogomil

The dodge mechanic is, fittingly, extremely dodgy. You want to have a weapon drawn when you dodge, otherwise the slowdown and flurry attack doesn't trigger, which could be one reason why it feels unreliable to you. I'm not sure if you can avoid taking damage without the weapon drawn, but if the slowdown does trigger, you won't take damage even if the enemy cuts right through you.
It's really weird, because the timing window is quite generous, but generally much earlier than you'd think, meaning that to do it correctly, you'll usually dodge nothing only to appear to take a hit afterwards. This is basically how you fight lynels.

For the hands, I wouldn't even bother trying to fight them "fair", if there is such a thing. Just keep at a distance and repeatedly fire at them with arrow bombs. Being up close with them just messes up everything mechanically and will catch you in a grab loop, it's awful. The one major fight in the game where you have to fight a set of hans is also the one place in the game where you can't really safely keep at a distance. It's bad.

On 6/26/2023 at 3:33 PM, Sumez said:

The dodge mechanic is, fittingly, extremely dodgy. You want to have a weapon drawn when you dodge, otherwise the slowdown and flurry attack doesn't trigger, which could be one reason why it feels unreliable to you. I'm not sure if you can avoid taking damage without the weapon drawn, but if the slowdown does trigger, you won't take damage even if the enemy cuts right through you.
It's really weird, because the timing window is quite generous, but generally much earlier than you'd think, meaning that to do it correctly, you'll usually dodge nothing only to appear to take a hit afterwards. This is basically how you fight lynels.

For the hands, I wouldn't even bother trying to fight them "fair", if there is such a thing. Just keep at a distance and repeatedly fire at them with arrow bombs. Being up close with them just messes up everything mechanically and will catch you in a grab loop, it's awful. The one major fight in the game where you have to fight a set of hans is also the one place in the game where you can't really safely keep at a distance. It's bad.

Yeah, that second fight was the main one I was complaining about, but I also got into a fight in the depths and the camera was going nuts because I was on some uneven terrain.

I am in the habit of holstering my weapon if it's two-handed as soon as I am done attacking. You still get 'bullet time' when you have your shield out as well, but it still seems really inconsistent (and I agree usually early). Anyway, not a game breaker by any means, I have just played a lot of games that respond much better with similar combat mechanics and it seems to be one of the things they didn't alter or touch from Botw.

Still really enjoying the casual play-through. Just finishing up a few random things before heading to the final castle.

Edited by Andy_Bogomil

• 2 weeks later...

Wrapping this up. Going for every shrine and armour. Have all light roots and piece of equipment from the depths I think. Probably missing less than 25 shrines judging by light roots. 

Didn't enjoy the depths.. glad I tackled most of it later with a hover bike. Was tedious enough like that.

I'm around 70 hours in.  I've completed around 80 shrines and two temples.  I've maxed out stamina and have around 16 hearts.  Working on the Sand Shroud issue right now.  I've probably only completed about 20% of the depths.  My plan is to complete as much of the game as possible without using a guide.  When I feel like I accomplished that, I will beat the game and then go back and see how much more there actually is.  It's pretty amazing to see how much more is in this game compared to BOTW which felt almost infinite in the amount of stuff to complete.  

I'm loving this game, but I wish I had more free time.  I feel like I'm way behind everyone else who has also been playing it pretty much non stop. 

• Like 1

Just over 100 hrs total and completed the majority of stuff outside of a few lengthy collecting quests (ex. korok seeds). I have a few armors I'll have to look at a guide for as I've picked most of the areas clean and talked to just about everyone that I can reasonably find but am still missing a few pieces to a few sets. Surprisingly, only looked up a quick guide for probably less than 5 shrine locations as the game does a really good job of giving you a helping hand. I've upgraded most of the armor I'll use, all light roots, shrines, sages, major side quests, battery upgrades, etc. Gonna get these last few armor pieces (likely with a guide at this point) then finish what I assume is the last main story event. I will likely look at a guide outright after that to see if there are any major things I missed or could upgrade but I think I've covered most of it. No way I am going to 100% this game though.

I think it's a great game although extremely similar to Botw and still suffers from some of the same issues like pacing and minor issues with combat. The programming and the abilities still blow me away sometimes with what you can do and how many options there are to complete objectives.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Sumez said:

You did all of that in "only" a little over 100 hours? Man, I'm slow. I'm still missing a few shrines, and a lot of light roots.

The hover board/car is a wonderful thing 😛  Honestly it's just how I play the game (and most games).. point A to B with little in between in terms of exploring, even if the game encourages it. Basically if it wasn't a shrine or a necessary part to the story I avoided it until much later in the game and then was able to fly (literally) through a lot of the tedious stuff with fast travel, max stamina, and the hover car.

Beat this over the weekend after maxing out a few armor sets before the big fight. Pretty good overall and I put in about 125 hours in total. I think overall it's better than Botw but hard to rate since that game is obviously the foundation for Totk. Definitely ready to move on to a different Zelda format after these two games though.

• 2 weeks later...

Got the Master Sword last night.

Spoiler

I'm still not using any kind of guide.  I really just happened to run into it pretty randomly.  Luckily, I was able to get it on the first try because I tend to prefer stamina over hearts once I have about 5 or 6 hearts.  So my stamina was maxed out at the time when I ran into the dragon.  I thought it was just a new dragon, so I was trying to shoot it to get a scale or claw and noticed something on it's head.  I was pretty excited when I realized what was going on.  I called my kinds downstairs to watch.  

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

Getting back into Tears.  Got the fierce deity set and upgraded that since I got tired of dying in two hits with 10 hearts.  Also got the master sword and now am in the fire temple.

Spoiler

IMG_9119.jpeg.4129e31f67e83b67610c33c42e83cc90.jpegIMG_9120.jpeg.8b6c6e7461601bbbff6a366368ec5e7f.jpeg

Edited by fox
  • Like 1

Still going pretty strong.

• All four temples cleared.
  • Got Master Sword
  • Max stamina and 27 hearts
  • Halfway through the 2nd round of the battery
  • 117 shrines complete
  • 75 lightroots found
  • 257 korok seeds found
  • About 60% of the way through the Hyrule Compendium without buying a single picture.
  • Spoiler

I have the majority of the armor sets, but I spend most of my game time wearing the climbing armor with the korok mast.  I just enjoy having the small climbing boost and the korok mask really helps locating those korok seeds.  It's just too bad that the Korok mask has basically no defense.  I typically only change armor when it's weather dependent or if I'm getting into a large battle like at the underground coliseums.  

• Still not using a guide yet.  When I get to the point where I'm having trouble progressing, I'll probably try and complete the game and once I've beaten it, I'll check to guides to see how much I've missed.  

12 minutes ago, TDIRunner said:

Still going pretty strong.

• All four temples cleared.
  • Got Master Sword
  • Max stamina and 27 hearts
  • Halfway through the 2nd round of the battery
  • 117 shrines complete
  • 75 lightroots found
  • 257 korok seeds found
  • About 60% of the way through the Hyrule Compendium without buying a single picture.
  •   Hide contents

I have the majority of the armor sets, but I spend most of my game time wearing the climbing armor with the korok mast.  I just enjoy having the small climbing boost and the korok mask really helps locating those korok seeds.  It's just too bad that the Korok mask has basically no defense.  I typically only change armor when it's weather dependent or if I'm getting into a large battle like at the underground coliseums.  

• Still not using a guide yet.  When I get to the point where I'm having trouble progressing, I'll probably try and complete the game and once I've beaten it, I'll check to guides to see how much I've missed.  

How many hourss?