IGNORED

SMW is not great if you compare it to SMB3... Also, SMB2 stuff

AirVillain

3 hours ago, LeatherRebel5150 said:

Actually going out to play the sport ball is fine and fun. I love me some mini-golf just as much as the next guy. But watching other people do it as a form of entertainment is just…why? Pick up a ball get some friends and go actually do it, or even play the dam video-game version. At least then your playing it

It's not just "watching other people" like fat middle-aged balding dudes with Dad bodies - watching professional sports is (generally) watching the best in the world at whatever particular sport they are playing.  If you have an interest in something/anything, are you not the least bit curious what it looks like when -insert your interest here- is done at a supremely high level?  No?  Ah well, I tried...

• Agree 1

34 minutes ago, Dr. Morbis said:

It's not just "watching other people" like fat middle-aged balding dudes with Dad bodies - watching professional sports is (generally) watching the best in the world at whatever particular sport they are playing.  If you have an interest in something/anything, are you not the least bit curious what it looks like when -insert your interest here- is done at a supremely high level?  No?  Ah well, I tried...

Watching dad bods or golden gods has the same outcome. Some people doing something ultimately pointless that would be more fun to actually spend some time playing it, rather than watching it on my ass in front of a screen. I enjoy watching people that are the best at what they do when they're actually doing something, creating, building, or generally doing something that I can pick up some knowledge from, in order to be more productive. Throwing a ball around, whacking it with a stick, kicking it, whatever else, isn't actually accomplishing anything other than throwing/kicking/whacking better then the other guy.

Actually thinking about it, if there was a bunch of drunken slobs out in the local field playing a game somewhere, you might get me to go watch that. At least that would lead to some laughs. While the "best in the world" all perform basically the same with fractional differences determining who played with their balls the best on that particular day.

Super Mario World is still the better game

Edited by LeatherRebel5150
  • Agree 1

1 hour ago, LeatherRebel5150 said:

Watching dad bods or golden gods has the same outcome. Some people doing something ultimately pointless...

Everything you do with your life is ultimately pointless - it's all about perspective.  In 100 years you're going to be just as dead and forgotten as the rest of us, but Babe Ruth will still be a legend... 😉

1 hour ago, LeatherRebel5150 said:

I enjoy watching people that are the best at what they do when they're actually doing something, creating, building, or generally doing something that I can pick up some knowledge from, in order to be more productive.

You mean, when you're not "wasting" your time reading and responding on an internet forum, when you could be "doing something, creating, building, or generally doing something that you can pick up some knowledge from, in order to be more productive"?  Hmmm...   🤔

One day you'll come to realize that different people have different ineterests, and yours are no less "pointless" than the guy who spends his whole life watching football because that's what he enjoys...   😛

• Like 3

haha of course this thread blew up...

I can damn sure beat SMB3 in less time than I can beat Battletoads, Contra, Castlevania etc., even without warping.

Here's my question, and I'll allow I don't have an answer because I didn't have a Super Nintendo when it was current. And when I've played it, I never could get a good handle on the flying control so that's discouraging. Anyway for the big SMW fans: what is your favorite world in that game and what do you like about it?

• Love 1

1 hour ago, Link said:

Anyway for the big SMW fans: what is your favorite world in that game and what do you like about it?

Man. Sincerely a tough pick.

Donut Plains are cool because of the number of alternate paths, the first star road, the first ghost houses, the first chance to get the feather.

Vanilla Dome has the best overworld music and an awesome atmosphere. 

Forest of Illusion has some cool level puzzles and good music

Star Road was so mysterious back in the day and had some tough levels

Valley of Bowser has probably the coolest atmosphere. The lighting crashes and silhouette were a little unnerving as a kid. 

On my first play through, Valley of Bowser took the cake. Tough to forget that feeling. Pure nervous excitement. 

But nowadays, I think I like Star Road the most. I didn't like it as much when I was younger because I didn't really understand the star map and how to open each path, or how to open the extra levels. But as an adult, those are fun and satisfying to beat. 

Edited by Br81zad
  • Like 4

4 hours ago, LeatherRebel5150 said:

Watching dad bods or golden gods has the same outcome. Some people doing something ultimately pointless that would be more fun to actually spend some time playing it, rather than watching it on my ass in front of a screen. I enjoy watching people that are the best at what they do when they're actually doing something, creating, building, or generally doing something that I can pick up some knowledge from, in order to be more productive. Throwing a ball around, whacking it with a stick, kicking it, whatever else, isn't actually accomplishing anything other than throwing/kicking/whacking better then the other guy.

Actually thinking about it, if there was a bunch of drunken slobs out in the local field playing a game somewhere, you might get me to go watch that. At least that would lead to some laughs. While the "best in the world" all perform basically the same with fractional differences determining who played with their balls the best on that particular day.

Super Mario World is still the better game

Show me athletic competition and I'm there. Damn near anything except soccer (most boring shit ever).

But if there's drinks, food, and other people watching, you can even get me to sit through a soccer match.

If you are content to just view sports at the most simplistic face value, then sure. Your take is adequate. But if you consider the preparation, strategy and effort put forth by each side, then you're suddenly viewing something deeper. "Man vs man" is one of the most prominent forms of conflict in all storytelling, and you're able to witness it play out on a public stage. Each competitor is their own person with their own personal hurdles and lives outside of their given sport. And yet there they are striving towards a common goal (however trivial you may find it to be). If you follow a team or specific athlete for any period of time you may find yourself curiously invested in whether or not they succeed. The personalities you like become the ones you root for. Look a little deeper and you might find you're caught up in something bigger than yourself, and you may just enjoy it. Find some friends that also enjoy it, and feel the camaraderie during the highs and lows of a season. 

Or don't 🤷‍♂️

Edited by Br81zad
  • Like 2
  • Agree 2

8 hours ago, Dr. Morbis said:

Everything you do with your life is ultimately pointless - it's all about perspective.  In 100 years you're going to be just as dead and forgotten as the rest of us, but Babe Ruth will still be a legend... 😉

You mean, when you're not "wasting" your time reading and responding on an internet forum, when you could be "doing something, creating, building, or generally doing something that you can pick up some knowledge from, in order to be more productive"?  Hmmm...   🤔

One day you'll come to realize that different people have different ineterests, and yours are no less "pointless" than the guy who spends his whole life watching football because that's what he enjoys...   😛

If a master builder puts up a well built home itll last 100yrs+, a chef creates a well loved recipe it’ll last 100yrs+, somebody invents a new gadget and it changes the world permanently. The difference between all that and Babe Ruth is that they provided the world with something tangible. Babe Ruth played with a stick

Generally no I try not to waste my time while online. Im multitasking while reading/responding on the forum. For example Im currently blow drying my hair as im typing this, blow dryer in one hand phone in the other. Often times I’ll be taking a crap, or on lunch break. I treat the forum as an additional thing to do with a task. Not a standalone endeavor.

Also Im well aware people have different interests. I said very early on in all of this that I don’t get the love for sports and probably never will. The only reason I even addressed it was because someone seemed to assume and insinuate that I probably spend time watching sports when I claimed to have very little personal time. Its you guys that went on this crusade to try to make me see some sort of light lol

5 hours ago, Br81zad said:

If you are content to just view sports at the most simplistic face value, then sure. Your take is adequate. But if you consider the preparation, strategy and effort put forth by each side, then you're suddenly viewing something deeper. "Man vs man" is one of the most prominent forms of conflict in all storytelling, and you're able to witness it play out on a public stage. Each competitor is their own person with their own personal hurdles and lives outside of their given sport. And yet there they are striving towards a common goal (however trivial you may find it to be). If you follow a team or specific athlete for any period of time you may find yourself curiously invested in whether or not they succeed. The personalities you like become the ones you root for. Look a little deeper and you might find you're caught up in something bigger than yourself, and you may just enjoy it. Find some friends that also enjoy it, and feel the camaraderie during the highs and lows of a season. 

Or don't 🤷‍♂️

I just don’t have the ability to care whether or not someone succeeds at playing with balls. Yes it is that trivial TO ME. The personalities are not that interesting. So some of them had a rough life and “beat the odds” to throw the ball better then everyone else, great. They probably could’ve done something actually useful for the world with all that drive. But they chose to play tiddlywinks the best instead .

Ive never been very interested in being invested in groups like that. The “Yay we did it” (especially when you have absolutely no involvement in the “doing” part) feeling, people who follow sports seem to get has always been repulsive to me. Repulsive not in a gross way but in a “nope want no part of that” way. Ive always been the, a club that would have me, I don’t want to be apart of, kind of guy. So the “bigger than yourself” aspect of it, is very much a deterrent to me.

Again, this is how I feel about sports, watching them specifically. I have friends that love it. It doesn’t connect with me. I find it strange people defend it so hard

Events Helper · Posted
6 hours ago, Br81zad said:

Donut Plains are cool because of the number of alternate paths, the first star road, the first ghost houses, the first chance to get the feather.

Valley of Bowser has probably the coolest atmosphere. The lighting crashes and silhouette were a little unnerving as a kid. 

On my first play through, Valley of Bowser took the cake. Tough to forget that feeling. Pure nervous excitement. 

But nowadays, I think I like Star Road the most. I didn't like it as much when I was younger because I didn't really understand the star map and how to open each path, or how to open the extra levels. But as an adult, those are fun and satisfying to beat. 

sums it all up!  I love the feeling of finally getting past tubular in the secret star road!  such an accomplishment when u can get all the balloons and timing down just right.

14 hours ago, LeatherRebel5150 said:

Generally no I try not to waste my time while online. Im multitasking while reading/responding on the forum. For example Im currently blow drying my hair as im typing this, blow dryer in one hand phone in the other. Often times I’ll be taking a crap, or on lunch break. I treat the forum as an additional thing to do with a task. Not a standalone endeavor.

Damn, man!  You're that hardcore of a multitasker and you still don't have any time for video games?  You must be one busy mutherfucker!  Like, do you even have time to sleep at night, or do you multitask that too?  Just the thought of having to walk in your shoes for a single day makes me exhausted.  Kudos to you for a life fully lived 🙂

Meanwhile, I'll just be over here pissing away my time smelling the roses (aka playing video games) as I meander my way to old age...   😛

PS - Don't take anything I type too seriously; this is an internet forum and we're all just having fun... 😉

• Haha 1
  • Agree 1

REALLY loving the gumption in the responses here. A couple derails, but hey... that's what it's all about. Multi-faceted conversations can always weave together because it's ALL CONNECTED. 

Super Mario World isn't on the same level as SMB3, just as watching sports on TV isn't on the same level as playing sports as a professional athlete. Basically the same thing. 

On 6/26/2022 at 7:20 PM, LeatherRebel5150 said:

Two things here. It absolutely takes me linger than 2.5hrs to beat the game, well both games. Im not THAT good, I die and get game overs and have to redo things. Maybe if you can speed right through with only a death here or there you can do it in that time. Second, yes 2.5hrs would be an ungodly amount of time in my life. I think I can count less than 2 dozen times in the past ten years where I played more than an hr/hr and a half in one sitting. I would love for that not to be the case, but gotta adult 🤷‍♂️ 

3 hours. Long Weekend. 1 hour/day. Just joshin' you do you, man. 

On 6/26/2022 at 7:28 PM, Dr. Morbis said:

Luigi isn't in Super Mario 64, so it would be misleading to add "bros."  Either they would have to add in Luigi, or call it Super Mario Brother 64...

Excellent point. Also, they really fucked up b/c Luigi SHOULD have been in the game, and it SHOULD have been called Super Mario Bros. 64. 

On 6/26/2022 at 8:55 PM, Jeevan said:

So the reason i prefer SMW over SMB3......

I like the fact that a lot of levels have multiple ways to finish them.  I know SMB3 has a few hidden secrets etc.  SMW is filled with them!

I like the "simplicity" of the amount of powers.  

I like the fact that little things like getting on and off of yoshi changes the music.

Love the star road.

Love the secret star road, even though it is hard as hell.

The ending is soooooo much better in SMW!

Hot take!  SMB2 U.S. is pretty dang good, tied in favorite mario game for nes with smb3 😏.  <--- @AirVillain you said i wouldn't get jumped on but there ya go lol.

I like the greater amount of enemies in SMW, and yes i know they had more "resources" for it, but i mean its just a better game!

Excellent points. Thanks for sharing. 

I also enjoy the hidden exits, & love the secret star road. Agree to disagree on the other stuff. 😛

SMB 3 tied with SMB2, you gotta be trolling me. Enough. 

Stop It Michael Jordan GIF

The same type of argument can be said for SMB2. It's a great game if SMB3 weren't on the table. It's "great" in it's own right, but since being compared to the GOAT... tough to put it on any sort of the same level. Tied? 🙈

On 6/26/2022 at 9:11 PM, ZeldaFreak said:

Speaking of bad takes

Hey, glad to see I'm not alone in that, haha. Obviously it was awesome for its time, and I think gaming as a whole would be different without it, so I'm very glad it does exist, but... yeah, these days, I don't go out of my way to play it.

I love to play it because I respect it for what it is. You know it's not the best mechanics and getting Mario to stick a tight landing is hard, but that's the charm of the game. Getting a fire flower is exciting as hell, haha. I enjoy it's simplicity in that way, but understanding (and remembering) how amazing it was when it came out helps me enjoy it.

I mean, the replay-ability is not nearly as high so I understand not going out of your way to play it. 

On 6/26/2022 at 9:43 PM, Br81zad said:

I keep seeing the baseline time to beat SMB3 while playing all the levels is 2.5 hrs. I'm calling bullshit. It's gotta be closer to 4+ hrs for most people. Likely 6 hrs or more for noobs and casuals. (Which we all were at some point) 

But seriously, I don't suck, and I still feel like it takes 2 hours just to get to the tower that leads to the clouds. And there's still a whole lot of game left after that.

Anyway. SMW is better. Carry on. 

I mean... 3 hours? 6 hours? Yeesh. 

If it takes you two hours to get to the mid-castle in World 5 then you might, indeed, suck. 😝 Might not *actually take you that long. You're either bored out of you're mind, or lost in time because you're having so much fun. Judging by your next comment, it's the former. 

This might be why you like SMW better. It's much easier and well suited for noobs, casuals, and babies. 😉

On 6/26/2022 at 10:01 PM, Dr. Morbis said:

That tower in World 5 is where the game has a big difficulty spike.  I remember as a kid, once we got to the clouds in World 5, it was serious business - no more goofin' around, no jokes, just stern faces trying to beat levels, knowing that even harder Ice and Pipe worlds were to come...

We always called that "Dickie Castle" as kids. 🤣 I think because it was pointed at the top...? And could't call it "Dick castle" I think....? 

These were my favourite levels because 1) Tanooki Suit Heaven and 2) I really enjoyed the unique transition into the clouds. 

On 6/27/2022 at 1:00 AM, Kguillemette said:

Yes it is? Must be nice to have a straight 2.5 hours to yourself and be able to consider it "not much"!🤪

I have easily invested more than 2.5 hours into this thread, and you're probably getting close there buddy. 😅

On 6/27/2022 at 9:18 AM, phart010 said:

Mario World and SM3 are both great!

Tanooki, Hammerbrother and Frog suit we’re fun, but they had limited use and applications.

I think there were only 2 or 3 hammerbrother suits to be found in the entire game. Aside from aesthetics, the suit wasn’t really good, especially compared to the fire flower. 

Frog suit was only really good in water levels, of which there were few…. I think Super Mario World wanted to start fresh, not just repeat what was already done. So they trimmed out the fluff. And can’t really complain because they gave us Yoshi, plus new Mario abilities. You can toss items upwards, there’s trampolines that you can carry around, flying adds a new element of skill for extended flight, P-balloons, etc.

There really is a ton a new stuff in Mario World. I think sometimes people want everything from before plus extra. Sometimes starting with a clean slate and remaking a new game is a good way to keep things fresh

Interesting viewpoint. Start fresh, then barely anything will seem good. Very accurate in the case of SMW.  

Sarcasm aside, SMB3 set the table for SMW, where it kept the mushroom and fire flower, along wit hthe basic mechanics (incl. holding/throwing a shell) .... so they didn't start with THAT clean of a slate. 

On 6/27/2022 at 10:35 AM, Webhead123 said:

For some reasons which are probably highly subjective and some reasons which are a tad less so, as an overall experience, I find myself favoring SMW. Both are among the absolute greatest games ever made, absolutely, but I find myself wanting to replay SMW more often, more thoroughly and more excitedly. The save feature does help but I think one of the biggest factors is the exploration element. Finishing the Special World and seeing the overworld map and enemies change still makes me smile all these decades later.

Thanks for sharing. Exploration element, interesting. Do you play it in a different "order" each time you play? I guess I always do it in the same order.... 

On 6/27/2022 at 2:52 PM, cj_robot said:

I always loved SMB3, but I gotta say I find it strange that anyone wouldn't like SMW at least as much. In my opinion, it did everything SMB3 did, except better. I've played through World several times, but never really felt the need to revisit 3, except every once in a while.

And how could somebody from planet Earth not like sports?!? Like, not any sport at all? Bizarre.

It's not strange. For me, as you might guess.... liking SMW as much is strange. 😛

You claim SMW did "Everything SMB3 did, except better.".... a tall claim. I present you: THE TANOOKI SUIT!

Nothing in SMW is as good as the Tanooki Suit. 

22 hours ago, Br81zad said:

I also really like the atmosphere of the Valley of Bowser as well, that's pretty cool with the lightning crashing, etc. 

23 hours ago, Link said:

haha of course this thread blew up...

I can damn sure beat SMB3 in less time than I can beat Battletoads, Contra, Castlevania etc., even without warping.

Here's my question, and I'll allow I don't have an answer because I didn't have a Super Nintendo when it was current. And when I've played it, I never could get a good handle on the flying control so that's discouraging. Anyway for the big SMW fans: what is your favorite world in that game and what do you like about it?

Can you beat Contra? lt's like a 30 min playthrough...? 

The crappy flying IS discouraging, but I don't think it was just you. It's not a great mechanic I feel. I also thought I could never really perfect it.... but I think that's moreso because of the game design, not our lack of skiils.... is what I tell myself. 😛

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

9 hours ago, AirVillain said:

mean... 3 hours? 6 hours? Yeesh. 

If it takes you two hours to get to the mid-castle in World 5 then you might, indeed, suck. 😝 Might not *actually take you that long. You're either bored out of you're mind, or lost in time because you're having so much fun. Judging by your next comment, it's the former. 

This might be why you like SMW better. It's much easier and well suited for noobs, casuals, and babies. 😉

Or SMW has a better pacing which was improved upon after SMB 3 bc it's a successor?

There isn't any world in SMW that feels exhausting or where you over stay your welcome. I actually enjoyed each world and don't really have a favorite and I can't say the same about SMB 3. I still hate world 2 in SMB 3. Secret exits and bonus world also put SMW over SMB 3. 

However SMW is my favorite game of all time so I'm bias. That's what most of this thread sounds like tho. Just defending your favorite game as a kid, and for some reason why I don't watch sports on TV lol

• Sad 1
  • Agree 1
  • Disagree 1

11 hours ago, AirVillain said:

Can you beat Contra? lt's like a 30 min playthrough...? 

No! 🤣 

11 hours ago, doner24 said:

SMW and SMB3 are both great. If you can’t fly well in SMW it’s because your skills are bad, not because of mechanics. 

See above!

2 hours ago, RegularGuyGamer said:

I still hate world 2 in SMB 3.

😳 🤯 

• Like 1

12 hours ago, AirVillain said:

I mean... 3 hours? 6 hours? Yeesh. 

Shaggy Are You Challenging Me GIF - Shaggy Are You Challenging Me Scooby -  Discover & Share GIFs

• Haha 1

50 minutes ago, RegularGuyGamer said:

I remember feeling so deceived as a kid playing what I thought was going to be the sequel to SMW. I've gotten over it and now can enjoy the game for what it is but man, what a let down. 

I still can't get into it...

Oddly enough my wife loves it and she's not even big on playing games. (will only play Mario, Crash Bandicoot, Tarzan or Billy Hatcher a couple times a year). Her favorite Mario is actually NSMB on DS to boot.

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, Silent Hill said:

I still can't get into it...

Oddly enough my wife loves it and she's not even big on playing games. (will only play Mario, Crash Bandicoot, Tarzan or Billy Hatcher a couple times a year). Her favorite Mario is actually NSMB on DS to boot.

Well it WAS the first new 2D Mario game since 1995.

• Like 1