IGNORED

SMW is not great if you compare it to SMB3... Also, SMB2 stuff

AirVillain

7 minutes ago, Jeevan said:

Oh god no, The cape is the superior out of all 3 of them!!!!

Oh, you're right.... the cape that only allows you to fly in one direction and dive bomb things. 

That IS far superior to being able to fly in any direction and turning invincible on command and crushing enemies as a statue. 🙄

Really though, the cape is far less versatile that the Tanooki Suit. 

4 minutes ago, Jeevan said:

The Goombas shoe is only as fast as you make it too btw......I just watched an interesting video.......

a tanooki suit mario in the shoe

😆

Tanooki Suit in the show is always a fun time. 

But the shoe is NOT only as fast as you make it. At the end of the video you can see the boot doesn't get passed one on the P meter. 

Events Helper · Posted
1 minute ago, AirVillain said:

Oh, you're right.... the cape that only allows you to fly in one direction and dive bomb things. 

That IS far superior to being able to fly in any direction and turning invincible on command and crushing enemies as a statue. 🙄

Really though, the cape is far less versatile that the Tanooki Suit. 

Tanooki Suit in the show is always a fun time. 

But the shoe is NOT only as fast as you make it. At the end of the video you can see the boot doesn't get passed one on the P meter. 

its fast enough.

Yes the cape is the better tool.  Who needs to turn into a statue to be good.........

• Eyeroll 1

Just now, Jeevan said:

its fast enough.

Yes the cape is the better tool.  Who needs to turn into a statue to be good.........

It's not the better tool. The flying is clunky at best. 

Better at being a clunky flying mechanism? Sure, I'll give the cape that. 

No one NEEDS to turn into a statue to be good at this point in our lives. But as children playing the game it provided a neat and fun way to save yourself from a hit. And now, using the cape can be a fun way to chill and let ppl pass you or a fun way to kill bosses. 

Also, when you get a wand back for a king in the Tanooki Suit he thanks you and calls you a "kind Raccoon"... what special easter egg do you get using the cape? NONE... because the cape is boring. 

• Agree 1

On 6/30/2022 at 1:30 PM, Strange said:

I know the sports talk is pretty much over but I’ll say this:

All the arguments in this thread regarding why watching sports are a waste of time are all the same arguments I heard while making music when I was younger. That it was pointless, wasn’t contributing to a better world, etc.

I wouldn’t ever expect someone to like sports if they didn’t like them already, but the “waste of time” argument makes little sense to me. If watching sports is a waste of time then watching movies or playing video games certainly are wastes of time too. (For the record, I don’t believe any of these are wastes of time).

If you can understand why people are passionately defending their favorite Mario games here, then you can understand why people are passionate about their favorite sports teams (which are, in essence, another form of media that is consumed).

All in all though, my POV is that life is short and mostly suffering. And the world is likely ending. I believe in letting people enjoy what they enjoy (assuming it hurts no one else). That’s my overall take for this thread. 😉 

I really wish I knew how to break up a quote into multiple parts to make a better flowing response. But here goes

"All the arguments in this thread regarding why watching sports are a waste of time are all the same arguments I heard while making music when I was younger. That it was pointless, wasn’t contributing to a better world, etc."

Those are two different things. Watching vs actively participating. You were watching sports vs MAKING music. Whether or not the music was any good or contributing to this or that is irrelevant. You were still DOING something. 

"I wouldn’t ever expect someone to like sports if they didn’t like them already, but the “waste of time” argument makes little sense to me. If watching sports is a waste of time then watching movies or playing video games certainly are wastes of time too. (For the record, I don’t believe any of these are wastes of time).

Again that's the difference watching vs playing.

"If you can understand why people are passionately defending their favorite Mario games here, then you can understand why people are passionate about their favorite sports teams (which are, in essence, another form of media that is consumed)."

No I honestly can't understand that. You have not input on a sports team, you can't affect their plays, the players they have, nothing. It quite literally has no effect on your life (barring you work work for them or something), whether they win or lose or change names or whatever.

I do understand why people defend a game they're actually playing. There are different mechanics, styles, whatever other differences that effect how they play the game. 

It boils down to active participation. Sitting around all afternoon watching people play a game or going to play the game yourself. I make the same argument about watching lets plays on youtube, fishing, hunting, etc.

So get up and GO PLAY the sport ball!

Edited by LeatherRebel5150
  • Like 2

13 hours ago, Jeevan said:

git gud

This is a poor argument because it's the mechanics in the game that are flawed.

It's like saying "Git gud at Bayou Billy". When, it's the game mechanics that are largely to blame for the game feeling "clunky" and thus more difficult. 

So yeah, you can "git butter" at playing the game, but it will ALWAYS be a clunky mechanic. 

The flying in SMB3 is smooth.

This is the only time that "gittin' butter" is a bad thing. Because butter tastes good... is what I'm saying. 

Events Helper · Posted
Just now, AirVillain said:

It's like saying "Git gud at Bayou Billy". When, it's the game mechanics that are largely to blame for the game feeling "clunky" and thus more difficult. 

So yeah, you can "git butter" at playing the game, but it will ALWAYS be a clunky mechanic. 

This is the only time that "gittin' butter" is a bad thing. Because butter tastes good... is what I'm saying. 

🤔  i don't seem to think it is a bad mechanic, you push back on the dpad........not hard imo

6 minutes ago, Jeevan said:

🤔  i don't seem to think it is a bad mechanic, you push back on the dpad........not hard imo

I didn't say it was "hard" to fly with the cape, I said it was clunky and not as effective as the tail/Tanooki Suit. 

The tail is a far easier/better way to control Mario when flying. The level in World 6 where you have to fly up with a turtle shell would be impossible with the cape. 

Edited by AirVillain
Correcting to state World 6
  • Agree 1

Events Helper · Posted
4 minutes ago, AirVillain said:

I didn't say it was "hard" to fly with the cape, I said it was clunky and not as effective as the tail/Tanooki Suit. 

The tail is a far easier/better way to control Mario when flying. The level in World 6 where you have to fly up with a turtle shell would be impossible with the cape. 

bet i could do it.....what level?

2 hours ago, Reed Rothchild said:

By the way, I love that we're arguing between the best game on the NES and the 6th best game on the SNES.  I guess it is a close call 😏

Sanda said he thinks smb3 is the best game on the nes

also acknowledging smb3 is in an argument about being, potentially, the 6th best game on the snes

• Like 1

Just for perspective, this whole argument could go off in an even dumber tangent.  I got a european guy on AA swearing he knows better that Mario Allstars and NGT on SNES aren't unique games, they're just recoded and ported NES games that just run on SNES that they redrew the graphics on so they look a bit better.  Just saying, we have room to go down the rabbit hole yet in this arguing, pinkies up you kool aid flavored tea sippers. 😉

• Like 1

On 7/16/2022 at 2:21 PM, Jeevan said:

bet i could do it.....what level?

World 6, level 5. 

Cape can't handle it because all you get is one big jump and then you have to continue going in ONE direction. 

The tail (especially fun using the Tanooki Suit) allows you to fly straight UP. Hence, it's superiority. 

On 7/16/2022 at 2:59 PM, Reed Rothchild said:

Leaf is baby mode with coddled mechanics.  Feather is for versatile champs. 😏

I am guess by the emoji and following post that you are being sarcastic here...?

If not.... I guess I really gotta put more flight time in with this cape. 😅

On 7/16/2022 at 3:01 PM, Reed Rothchild said:

By the way, I love that we're arguing between the best game on the NES and the 6th best game on the SNES.  I guess it is a close call 😏

22 hours ago, docile tapeworm said:

Sanda said he thinks smb3 is the best game on the nes

also acknowledging smb3 is in an argument about being, potentially, the 6th best game on the snes

Also acknowledged. 

I mean, this might come as a surprise to you, but I might rank it even higher.... but that's just me. 😎👍

18 hours ago, Tanooki said:

Just for perspective, this whole argument could go off in an even dumber tangent.  I got a european guy on AA swearing he knows better that Mario Allstars and NGT on SNES aren't unique games, they're just recoded and ported NES games that just run on SNES that they redrew the graphics on so they look a bit better.  Just saying, we have room to go down the rabbit hole yet in this arguing, pinkies up you kool aid flavored tea sippers. 😉

"even dumber"....? 🤔 Implying there are some dumb tangents? Haha, jokes. It's all dumb and fun. 🙂

Okay, but for real, though.... I'm not sure what you mean by this or if you are making a joke. I mean... I think it's a joke/sarcasm? Because they did in fact port and recode the games?

I think it's the phrasing of "swearing he knows better that" which is throwing me a bit off. 😝

Please explain it to me like I'm 5. 

• Like 1

Events Helper · Posted
25 minutes ago, AirVillain said:

World 6, level 5. 

Cape can't handle it because all you get is one big jump and then you have to continue going in ONE direction. 

The tail (especially fun using the Tanooki Suit) allows you to fly straight UP. Hence, it's superiority. 

i know for a fact that a yoshi and cape could easily do that 😉  2 great additions to the MARIO series 😘  

Also, you do know you can just do 6-6 instead of 6-5 right?  just sayin'

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Jeevan said:

i know for a fact that a yoshi and cape could easily do that 😉  2 great additions to the MARIO series 😘  

Also, you do know you can just do 6-6 instead of 6-5 right?  just sayin'

Yoshi and Cape...? Are you sure.... I think you need a blue shell? 

6-6...? WHUT? No... I have never heard of this "shortcut" before. This is literally the first time I have ever considered such an option. 

But for real... I enjoy 6-5. One of my favourites because of that flying section. 

Plus, if you're going to COMPLETE the entire game as we've spoken about you're going to have to deal with 6-5 at some point, whether you do it first or not. 

• Agree 1

Events Helper · Posted
Just now, AirVillain said:

Yoshi and Cape...? Are you sure.... I think you need a blue shell? 

6-6...? WHUT? No... I have never heard of this "shortcut" before. This is literally the first time I have ever considered such an option. 

But for real... I enjoy 6-5. One of my favourites because of that flying section. 

Plus, if you're going to COMPLETE the entire game as we've spoken about you're going to have to deal with 6-5 at some point, whether you do it first or not. 

if u 100% yes maybe, but if u just wanna beat the game, double whistles ftw!

On 7/17/2022 at 5:33 PM, Jeevan said:

if u 100% yes maybe, but if u just wanna beat the game, double whistles ftw!

.... yes? I know you're trying to make a joke about the battery save deal, but I think it's a stretch at best. 

Of course if you just simply want to beat the game you probably won't end up in the middle of World 6. 

Events Helper · Posted
3 minutes ago, AirVillain said:

.... yes? I know you're trying to make a joke about the battery save deal, but I think it's a stretch at best. 

Of course if you just simply want to beat the game you probably won't end up in the middle of World 6. 

im not actually, just saying you don't have to 100% it to enjoy the game.

• Like 2

On 7/17/2022 at 4:53 PM, AirVillain said:

"even dumber"....? 🤔 Implying there are some dumb tangents? Haha, jokes. It's all dumb and fun. 🙂

Okay, but for real, though.... I'm not sure what you mean by this or if you are making a joke. I mean... I think it's a joke/sarcasm? Because they did in fact port and recode the games?

I think it's the phrasing of "swearing he knows better that" which is throwing me a bit off. 😝

Please explain it to me like I'm 5. 

Ahh so you're on reddit, or coincidence you want and 'explain it like I am 5' write up.  I can try.

Even dumber was all the back and forward here is pretty well, dumb given the arguing as no one is going to agree.  But to make a joke I decided to point out a far more stupid argument made on another web forum.  That argument?  That games like SNES Mario Allstars and Ninja Gaiden Trilogy are not in fact newly coded games with newly made music and visuals.  The argument was that they used the same NES data and just ported the code, and updated added visuals to the graphics and nicer audio scoring for the music and sound effects.  That clearly was not the case.  Sure the games are remakes at best, but ports (porting from system A to B) they are not, and they're not emulated either with nicer visuals and audio thrown on top.  The SNES games mimic the originals but have new audio, new graphics, and new code to copy what the 8bit titles did on NES as a 16bit version on the SNES.

Does that work?

tldr: I was told the SNES games of Mario Allstars and NGT are emulated ports with touched up visuals and audio, but are the same games.  That is not true.  And that i what I called more stupid (even dumber) as a joke to lighten the mood.

On 7/17/2022 at 2:11 AM, AirVillain said:

Famicom Bayou Billy is much easier 😉