IGNORED

SMW is not great if you compare it to SMB3... Also, SMB2 stuff

AirVillain

14 minutes ago, AirVillain said:

If you want to start the game where you left off.... then just do it.

Leave your system on and come back when you're ready, later that day, or the next day. How long of breaks are you taking here??? Each world is so taxing you need to take a week long break between worlds? SMB3 is a two day play through at most. You keep all your lives, all your items, and you start EXACTLY where you left off.... it's very simple.

No, I don't want to leave my NES on. No more than I want to use the whistles.

That's not a solution, that's a kludge.

14 minutes ago, AirVillain said:

Okay.... the "glaring flaw" thing is where you get me. Yes, sometimes not having a save battery can be a kick in the nuts, and that's the "culture", but not having a battery is no where close to a glaring flaw in SMB3, it's not even a flaw at all. I am deeply offended you would say SMB3 has a flaw. My insides are hurting. 

See, this is the issue. You guys take it too personally. I didn't slap your mother, I just pointed out a flaw. One that others agree with it.

If that hurts your insides and are offended by an opinion, seek therapy.

Edited by Tulpa
  • Haha 1

9 hours ago, Estil said:

You know I always did wonder how far ahead Nintendo has thought over the years.  You mean they honest to goodness started planning for SMB4 (as World was known as at first) a full year or two before SMB3 came out in Japan?  Just how far ahead did they plan in those days?

They usually start fairly far back if you go digging into old interviews, largely stuff translated from more thoughtful Japanese magazines and interviews from the era.  You'll find them online cited in various places.

12 hours ago, Lynda Monica said:

It may not have been rushed exactly, but Miyamoto has stated himself in interviews that he was a tad disappointed with Mario World, as in his own words he described it as "unfinished". You can probably find the interviews in question by searching for them. He admitted that the game had to be released sooner than he would have wanted due to competition.

Yeah I've seen that, it's pretty contradictory.  They had worked for so many years on it, yet somehow felt rushed, or at least, he did.  It doesn't add up, but also looking into the long development of the game, they did have stuff they ripped out like the raccoon suit coming back, which they ditched for the cape.  My guess he probably wanted some more suits, but instead they went with the Yoshi's of sizes and colors instead, and even in that green yoshi has various abilities to consider too including killing him potentially to make a huge jump to go somewhere or as a save.

I never can nor will I choose one over the other, they have equal parts amazing and questionable choices if you think enough about it.  SMB3 may have had more areas and worlds of true stark variety, suits too, but at a cost.  The frog at best is serviceable in the water world largely, but otherwise the leaf and fire are it, as the rest cool are just a joke being almost never used or even just once.  There's less hidden and far more easier to just skip to the end, yet if you want to play it, it's too long for its own good and really needed a save.  Mario World may have less suits but them including the yoshi mechanic are not left as sorry one offs and used more properly, a bit less varied worlds but they have more secrets of things to do or unlock(switches, star road, shortcuts, and it does have a proper save.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Tulpa said:

No, I don't want to leave my NES on. No more than I want to use the whistles.

That's not a solution, that's a kludge.

See, this is the issue. You guys take it too personally. I didn't slap your mother, I just pointed out a flaw. One that others agree with it.

If that hurts your insides and are offended by an opinion, seek therapy.

Why isn't leaving the NES on a solution? It's the EXACT solution.... This brings me back to my question of how long are you going in between wanting to play this game? 2.5 hours isn't exactly like climbing Everest. At most you would finish it over two days. Your NES won't explode if you leave it on overnight. Just warms up a little 😆

I understood the word, but still looked up kludge, haha. 

Hey man, sorry... I guess I didn't do a sarcastic enough job with my sarcasm. I'm not taking anything personally, nor are my feelings actually hurt. 😎👍

To be clear, though. SMB3 not having a battery is not a flaw. 

If you can't beat it in less than 1 hour, or whatever your cut-off for having your system on is, you can't blame the game. 

19 minutes ago, AirVillain said:

Why isn't leaving the NES on a solution? It's the EXACT solution.... This brings me back to my question of how long are you going in between wanting to play this game? 2.5 hours isn't exactly like climbing Everest. At most you would finish it over two days. Your NES won't explode if you leave it on overnight. Just warms up a little 😆

Have you priced electricity lately? 😛

All kidding aside, if you have to resort to that, then that suggests that maybe the game isn't perfect. Especially since adding a battery doesn't take anything else away.* That's all I'm saying.

It's not taking away the enjoyment. It just means your supermodel has a mole or one eye is slightly lower than the other. She's still hotter than anyone you know.

Maybe "glaring" was too harsh of a word.

*I also get a huge kick out of people that say "Well it adds to the experience to not have a battery." NO, IT DOESN'T, YOU'RE JUST RATIONALIZING! (I will give you kudos for not going to that argument.)

Hey man, sorry... I guess I didn't do a sarcastic enough job with my sarcasm. I'm not taking anything personally, nor are my feelings actually hurt. 😎👍

I figured. But some people I wonder if I say something bad about a game they love they'll end up on a clock tower with a rifle.

It's not a bug, it's a feature!

If you can't beat it in less than 1 hour, or whatever your cut-off for having your system on is, you can't blame the game. 

It's all good. We have different opinions.

I just don't give things a pass if I feel a great game has something I don't like.

Edited by Tulpa

13 minutes ago, mbd39 said:

Most long platformers had save or password. Donkey Kong Country had battery save. Super Mario World had battery save. SMB3 should've had it too. Nintendo cheaped out.

Comparing tech a few years later to a  few years earlier , apples to mangoes.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Tulpa said:

Have you priced electricity lately? 😛

All kidding aside, if you have to resort to that, then that suggests that maybe the game isn't perfect. Especially since adding a battery doesn't take anything else away.* That's all I'm saying.

It's not taking away the enjoyment. It just means your supermodel has a mole or one eye is slightly lower than the other. She's still hotter than anyone you know.

*I also get a huge kick out of people that say "Well it adds to the experience to not have a battery." NO, IT DOESN'T, YOU'RE JUST RATIONALIZING!

I figured. But some people I wonder if I say something bad about a game they love they'll end up on a clock tower with a rifle.

It's not a bug, it's a feature!

It's all good. We have different opinions.

I just don't give things a pass if I feel a great game has something I don't like.

Haha, well I live off grid and my solar panel provides all the electricity I need for my NES and my SMB3 playing. 

I don't have to resort to leaving the NES on, I play it through like a regular human being. Or if I just want to play for 20-30 minutes I get the whistles and beat the game, or grab some Tanooki Suits and fuck around a bit. 

I think not having the battery adds to the urgency, though. Like, I don't think it would have been as "special" beating it if it had a save feature. 

You had to earn that shit as a kid. All night. All weekend. You had to be committed. The save feature would kill that whole experience and thrill of beating the game from front to back. 

This game is not nearly hard enough, or long enough to require a save feature. 

Of course, of course... I just never understood the criticism as the save feature never even crossed my mind as a child.

11 minutes ago, mbd39 said:

Most long platformers had save or password. Donkey Kong Country had battery save. Super Mario World had battery save. SMB3 should've had it too. Nintendo cheaped out.

Donkey Kong Country was like 80 years after SMB, and was super long (no actual facts provided). Not many other platformers on NES had battery saves. 

Just now, a3quit4s said:

Y’all need to respect your elders hahahaha damn millennials and your batteries

Haha, yeah really.... need to be saved by the battery and can't actual beat a game front to back. Contra, DD2.... this is literally the "charm" of the system. 

Also, SMB3 on All-Stars is klunky and not as smooth. 

1 minute ago, mbd39 said:

Battery save existed in 1989. Passwords was another option.

But the difficulty of the game didn't really warrant it. The game was a tad long, but not Zelda long. It required us to commit and built character. 

Or quitters as some people seem to be....😅

• Agree 1

16 minutes ago, AirVillain said:

Considering the world record for 100% is over an hour, it would appear that nobody can. When I was 10, it took me a little under 3 hours to beat mario 3, which I think is a typical run. Now that's fine for 10 year old without much else to do on a Saturday, but adult me can never expect to experience the whole game with out skipping vast portions of it with no save feature via whistles or just quitting when I run out of time. I don't know that this makes the game "flawed" per se, as it is mechanically perfect, but having the option for save stated via Nintendo switch online, for example is a huge improvement. 

All that being said, 3>SMW. 

6 minutes ago, AirVillain said:

I think not having the battery adds to the urgency, though. Like, I don't think it would have been as "special" beating it if it had a save feature. 

You had to earn that shit as a kid. All night. All weekend. You had to be committed. The save feature would kill that whole experience and thrill of beating the game from front to back. 

See, I totally disagree. I don't think it adds anything. If it needed urgency, why the warp whistles? That takes away urgency.

I think it's just rationalizations. You love the game and don't want to admit it has a shortcoming. Human nature. 🙂

Why did later iterations of the exact same game add a save feature? I doubt kids got soft in the five or so years. 😛

Edited by Tulpa

1 hour ago, Tulpa said:

Yeah, but it skips over stuff. You might not have an issue with premature ... gameplay, but some of us like to take our time. 😉

Video games are like sex, is what I'm saying.

The game is to long. Also, I like to take my time.

”hey where are you going?”

”sorry honey. I’m gonna stop here. I’ll be back later, we can start right we’re we left off”.

• Haha 3

3 minutes ago, docile tapeworm said:

The game is to long. Also, I like to take my time.

”hey where are you going?”

”sorry honey. I’m gonna stop here. I’ll be back later, we can start right we’re we left off”.

Well, when you last as long as I do, you have to give her a break now and then.

TMI?

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, docile tapeworm said:

Lol ya nobody wants to have the thought of you sweating up the bed cause you can’t finish

Well, I don't need to skip over anything to get to the finish line. 😛

BTW, this thread really took a turn.

Edited by Tulpa
  • Sad 1

1 hour ago, AirVillain said:

I forgot to answer this comment. 

First off... I'm offended by your tone😅 As I have played enough SMW to know those "tips" you mentioned. 

I know about the stock up level, which I thought would be obvious... but the grinding is annoying and would be completely alleviated with a proper save system. It's more than a little tedious, and it's not "infinitely better" than no saves at all in SMB3 because saves are not necessary for that game. 

SMB3 is not some crazy Zelda/Final Fantasy level RPG...

The tone was much more jovial in my head. 

It really is only a little tedious. You can get 5 extra lives in the first level to the right of the Yoshi house in under 2mins. Then go right back to whatever levels you saved at vs. (lets say you were halfway through world 3 or 4)Playing through a bunch of levels all over again to get back to where you were taking much longer than a few minutes in SMB3.

Uhh that's the very definition of why a game needs a save method (battery or password) you can't be serious.  Blame the game you can't do, game has no blame, the dumbass designer who left it out you do. 😉

• Like 1

I actually never thought about this.  Not having a save feature did make beating SMB3 a way bigger deal when I was a kid.  It was like this day long trial that resulted in a huge sense of accomplishment when you finally saw the ending.  No way would you get that feeling if you're playing twenty minutes at a time over the course of a week and then beating the game during your final fifteen minute gaming session.

I think the bottom line is that this game needs a battery in 2022, but not in 1988/1990.  I actually never thought about this game needing a battery back then, nor did I ever hear anyone bring up this topic before the internet era.   So, to me, it's a modern quality of life issue that we are used to in the current video game world, so we're retroactively evaluating an old game based on our expectations in the modern world.

Conclusion: SMB3 did not need a battery when it was released thirty years ago, but it needs one in 2022.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Disagree 2

23 minutes ago, Dr. Morbis said:

I actually never thought about this.  Not having a save feature did make beating SMB3 a way bigger deal when I was a kid.  It was like this day long trial that resulted in a huge sense of accomplishment when you finally saw the ending.  No way would you get that feeling if you're playing twenty minutes at a time over the course of a week and then beating the game during your final fifteen minute gaming session.

I think the bottom line is that this game needs a battery in 2022, but not in 1988/1990.  I actually never thought about this game needing a battery back then, nor did I ever hear anyone bring up this topic before the internet era.   So, to me, it's a modern quality of life issue that we are used to in the current video game world, so we're retroactively evaluating an old game based on our expectations in the modern world.

Conclusion: SMB3 did not need a battery when it was released thirty years ago, but it needs one in 2022.

I agreed with you until the last paragraph.

The games only 2.5 hours long if you clear every panel...skip a mediocre movie some weekend and just play the damn game as an alternative, the same amount of time would be blown. 

• Like 1
  • Love 1