IGNORED

SMW is not great if you compare it to SMB3... Also, SMB2 stuff

AirVillain

On 7/16/2022 at 4:53 PM, docile tapeworm said:

his beloved Super Nintendo doesn’t even have 6 games better than the best nes game. I wonder if there are any games from the master system or any pre nes home console that can crack the nes top ten?

Phantasy Star is supposed to be the premier, showcase SMS game. I've never played it though.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Tanooki said:

Ahh so you're on reddit, or coincidence you want and 'explain it like I am 5' write up.  I can try.

Even dumber was all the back and forward here is pretty well, dumb given the arguing as no one is going to agree.  But to make a joke I decided to point out a far more stupid argument made on another web forum.  That argument?  That games like SNES Mario Allstars and Ninja Gaiden Trilogy are not in fact newly coded games with newly made music and visuals.  The argument was that they used the same NES data and just ported the code, and updated added visuals to the graphics and nicer audio scoring for the music and sound effects.  That clearly was not the case.  Sure the games are remakes at best, but ports (porting from system A to B) they are not, and they're not emulated either with nicer visuals and audio thrown on top.  The SNES games mimic the originals but have new audio, new graphics, and new code to copy what the 8bit titles did on NES as a 16bit version on the SNES.

Does that work?

tldr: I was told the SNES games of Mario Allstars and NGT are emulated ports with touched up visuals and audio, but are the same games.  That is not true.  And that i what I called more stupid (even dumber) as a joke to lighten the mood.

Michael Scott Five.gif

Yes, I have seen that subreddit for various topics but I also like the OG quote from Michael Scott in The Office and I do legitimately need it explained to me like I am five. 

So thank you for explaining it, I really do appreciate it. 🙂  (NOT sarcasm)

Well... I don't find it "arguing" because some people, obviously, will never change their opinion on such a deeply rooted issue.... so I consider it more of a "discussion" where we all tell our true feelings, and maybe in the process can all grow a little bit and understand why we feel a certain way 🙂 . Some people might go back and revisit the games with a fresh view and maybe respect it in a different way.

I'm understanding what you're saying.... It was a joke but I actually DIDN'T understand it, haha. Appreciate your effort, though, thank you. 

I didn't know much about the actual nitty gritty of the "transfer"/porting of the games.... but apparently they just re-made them. 

All this time I just figured the slightly "off"/inaccurate feel of Mario (in SMB3 especially) in All-Stars was from the transfer/port.... but I suppose it's just because they couldn't quite get the coding right when they re-built it. 

SMB3 on All-Stars feels a bit "heavier" to me... and not quite as responsive as NES SMB3 is best I can describe it.  

10 hours ago, fcgamer said:

Famicom Bayou Billy is much easier 😉

Yeah? Are the enemies slower/weaker?

What's the main reason it's "easier"?

I mean, I must admit... I guess it's not the best example because the mechanics aren't really broken, Bayou Billy is just slow as fuck. 

They make it harder because your enemies are so fast and strong. So I guess it's kind of a hybrid of difficult/slow mechanics and a game that's hard as fuck on purpose?

I guess I don't know the history enough to decide this... but it is a good/great game. 

I do recall a time when I dedicated myself to beating it.  I legitimately can't recall beating it, but I made it to the final level and boss I'm sure... I think I did it. Meh... I'll revisit it and I've learned sometimes is just as much fun and sometimes MORE fun (because it's less frustrating) to just use a game genie. 

I mean, for games that I have 0% chance of beating, I will use a game genie and be happy about it. 

Bayou Billy is probably one I'd practise on for a few weeks, see how close I can get and then decide after... 

1 hour ago, Jeevan said:

well, good luck, I dont

Well here's something we can agree on.   😛   Unless you're being sarcastic. I will answer as if you're being serious, anyways. 😉

What's your "favourite" thing to do if you just want to play SMB3 a little bit? 

Me? Pretty sure I mentioned it, but it's heading over to World 5/6 and grabbing some Tanooki Suits and tearing shit up. My #1 goal during those playthroughs is to defeat a boss with the Tanooki Suit to receive the special message from the king. 

Sometimes I'll try with the Frog Suit but that's way harder, haha. Hammer Suit sometimes but that's a bit more work as well, and usually save trying to do that when I'm doing a full playthrough.

42 minutes ago, mbd39 said:

Phantasy Star is supposed to be the premier, showcase SMS game. I've never played it though.

On 7/16/2022 at 5:53 PM, docile tapeworm said:

his beloved Super Nintendo doesn’t even have 6 games better than the best nes game. I wonder if there are any games from the master system or any pre nes home console that can crack the nes top ten?

It takes a strong person to admit their favourite system has games in it's top ten from OTHER systems. That's just how good SMB3 is. 

Edited by AirVillain
Trying to relocate this .gif like a boomer. (I think I got it with the old copy and paste)

Events Helper · Posted
2 minutes ago, AirVillain said:

What's your "favourite" thing to do if you just want to play SMB3 a little bit? 

stop myself and put in SMW 😆  sorry, i just couldn't resist!

My favorite is playing the first 3 worlds.  I remember we had to rent it in a "lottery" so i didn't get to play it right off the bat, but i wanted to.  We eventually rented it, and worlds 1-3 are the best imo.  We eventually bought a copy and i beat the game after that.

33 minutes ago, AirVillain said:

I'm understanding what you're saying.... It was a joke but I actually DIDN'T understand it, haha. Appreciate your effort, though, thank you. 

I didn't know much about the actual nitty gritty of the "transfer"/porting of the games.... but apparently they just re-made them. 

All this time I just figured the slightly "off"/inaccurate feel of Mario (in SMB3 especially) in All-Stars was from the transfer/port.... but I suppose it's just because they couldn't quite get the coding right when they re-built it. 

SMB3 on All-Stars feels a bit "heavier" to me... and not quite as responsive as NES SMB3 is best I can describe it. 

It takes a strong person to admit their favourite system has games in it's top ten from OTHER systems. That's just how good SMB3 is. 

You're fine.  I think the Office GIF there is why that reddit got its name, it just was a funny quote to use as a name because sometimes you just need a lot more detail enough will just roll their eyes over or get nasty about.  So no I don't mind explaining it.  Yeah it was a joke, observational humor because I watched someone make such a stunningly dense reach in thinking that.

The NES and SNES chips are compatible, it's a 16bit upgrade and some basically.  There are actual hacker works out there where people have moved NES games with nested to SNES, and some have figured out how to rig a NES to display SNES games and that's just strange to watch (there's a Super Mario World on NES output video on youtube.)

There's a LOT of work involved if you don't go with A) emulation or 2 ) simulation.  With emulation not that it's easy, but you need superior hardware to pretend to be every functional bit of one system so it can be emulated on another.  With simulation it depends, you can simulate the environment because of compatibility with hardware so you can use the same software calls(requests) and get away with what is shared allowing lower overhead, but simulation could just be a FPGA style setup too.  FPGA like the Super Nt/Mega Sg systems have an actual FPGA chipset that was designed to simulate what the original did, it's more accurate than low class clones and emulation, but they can barely off of perfect hardware copies.

The case of Mario Allstars, Ninja Gaiden Trilogy, or even (you'd swear it is emulated) overly basic copies of 3 shooters on the Hudson Caravan Collection (Super Famicom) are all just remakes. They didn't simulate (port) the code over, the hardware can't emulate the NES either effectively.  So these games basically whether touched up a lot (Mario), somewhat (NGT) or not at all (CC) are new audio, new visuals, new programmer code to basically clone what the original did as much as possible.

But as you pointed out Mario feels 'heavy' that's because it's a mix of just change in reaction but largely personal preference too.  It should work as the original does, but when you're trying to match, trying isn't 100% succeeding so some will feel the difference...you do.

8 hours ago, AirVillain said:

Yeah? Are the enemies slower/weaker?

What's the main reason it's "easier"?

I'm not sure what the reason is, as I haven't played the NES version in years. But it is much easier, I think the enemies are weaker. Actually Battletoads on Famicom is supposed to be easier too

Editorials Team · Posted
On 7/16/2022 at 3:53 PM, docile tapeworm said:

I believe there's a certain beloved puzzle game that came to us via 1970s Soviet computing.  You may or may not have taken a shotgun to it at one point. 😏

Also, we both know your secret lover is Chrono Trigger 👉👌😍

• Haha 2

2 hours ago, fcgamer said:

I'm not sure what the reason is, as I haven't played the NES version in years. But it is much easier, I think the enemies are weaker. Actually Battletoads on Famicom is supposed to be easier too

You're correct saying that to @AirVillain about battletoads.  The game was nastier in the US, they made a few corrections as other versions came long.  The FC version is easier and balanced a bit better, but easier is relative, and the Genesis version (the one I have currently) is more on par with the FC game it's the easiest/most balanced so the turbo tunnel while still quite nasty isn't a twitch memorization guessing game among other nasty bits.  I mean it's not easy, it's just not cheapo insanely hard.  Bayou Billy that one they did the same as like Ninja Gaiden games in the US, made it harder to middle finger rental stores/consumers so you got an unbalanced harder than necessary game for pure profit robbing revenge so the FC games are the superior accurate intent of design copies of the games.

• Agree 1

16 minutes ago, OptOut said:

That's one HELL of a take right there. You're a stone-cold mofo.

It's the truth.  I admit that SMB3 is a technical marvel, but I felt it was a downgrade over the experience I got from SMB2.  Although being that I didn't like SMB1, that also makes a lot of sense to me.  I think it was the gameplay in general...never been a fan of just running to the right.  Although it may simply be that with the NES, while my game options were limited, I had choices that helped refine my tastes. I only had SMB/DH, TMNT, and Metroid at the time, and barring a rental, I gravitated to TMNT and Metroid over the drudgery of SMB.  SMB2 felt like a step toward the games I liked, while SMB3 felt like it was stepping back.  Conversely, my childhood experience with the SNES was at my uncle's house, and he ONLY had SMW.  Thus, it was either play that or play nothing, and I only got rentals from them when I showed them my file with everything unlocked.  Basically saying "I've done literally everything I can, can I please play something else now?" 😛

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, the_wizard_666 said:

It's the truth.  I admit that SMB3 is a technical marvel, but I felt it was a downgrade over the experience I got from SMB2.  Although being that I didn't like SMB1, that also makes a lot of sense to me.  I think it was the gameplay in general...never been a fan of just running to the right.  Although it may simply be that with the NES, while my game options were limited, I had choices that helped refine my tastes. I only had SMB/DH, TMNT, and Metroid at the time, and barring a rental, I gravitated to TMNT and Metroid over the drudgery of SMB.  SMB2 felt like a step toward the games I liked, while SMB3 felt like it was stepping back.  Conversely, my childhood experience with the SNES was at my uncle's house, and he ONLY had SMW.  Thus, it was either play that or play nothing, and I only got rentals from them when I showed them my file with everything unlocked.  Basically saying "I've done literally everything I can, can I please play something else now?" 😛

Woof. I'm pretty sure that's like precisely the worst opinion I've heard on the internet so far! Kudos! ☺️ 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, OptOut said:

Oh man you're going for the high score!

@Gloves you wanna ban him now, or should we relentlessly berate him first, then ban him? 🤔

@Gloves has known me a long time.  Pretty sure the only thing more well known than my opinion of Mario games is my procrastination skills.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

47 minutes ago, OptOut said:

I'll have to find another mod to do it then... @Jeevan you game? 😘

@Jeevan is much in the same spot as @Gloves is here.  I've been saying this publicly within the collecting scene longer than almost everyone here.  My opinions are hardly secrets man, and I'm nothing if not consistent.  I'm sure anyone who feels like digging through the Wayback Machine could find posts stating more or less the same thing dating back to at least 2006, if not earlier.

33 minutes ago, the_wizard_666 said:

@Jeevan is much in the same spot as @Gloves is here.  I've been saying this publicly within the collecting scene longer than almost everyone here.  My opinions are hardly secrets man, and I'm nothing if not consistent.  I'm sure anyone who feels like digging through the Wayback Machine could find posts stating more or less the same thing dating back to at least 2006, if not earlier.

So... He admits it. DEATH!!! 😡

Editorials Team · Posted
6 hours ago, the_wizard_666 said:

@Gloves has known me a long time.  Pretty sure the only thing more well known than my opinion of Mario games is my procrastination skills.

Wait, what?  Are you the one who dragged him to NA?  You're to blame for all of it!

Events Helper · Posted
10 hours ago, the_wizard_666 said:

Looking only at the title, I'll say this:

I've never liked SMB3.  I don't hate SMW.  Take that for what you will.

I like that you don't hate SMW

7 hours ago, the_wizard_666 said:

It's the precise opinion I've held since my youth.  Mario sucks nuts in general.

This is incorrect, mario doesn't suck, i really wanna say something vulgar but i won't, so let's just say, mario is my favorite video game character!

7 hours ago, OptOut said:

I'll have to find another mod to do it then... @Jeevan you game? 😘

Why do you assume i would do that, opinions are like assholes, everyone has one.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1