IGNORED

SMW is not great if you compare it to SMB3... Also, SMB2 stuff

AirVillain

I have not played much Super Mario Bros 3 so I can't say which is better, but I will say that I prefer the overall look to Super Mario World. That may not be fair considering that one is on the NES and one is on the SNES, but considering how often people brought up batteries, something less common on the NES, I don't think fairness is what people are going for here. Passwords would've been a more fair thing to ask for. I've sampled a little bit of SMB3 and it seems good, but I'm not really a fan of the power-ups. Tanooki suit is just stone Kirby with a moon jump code if you run fast, Hammer Suit is too similar to Fire Mario, and Frog suit...that one seems cool enough I guess. The shoe is alright too, but it got expanded upon in SMW in the form of Yoshi. The overworld item menu from SMB3 seems nice to me, it makes it feel a bit more like an RPG. SMW has more collectibles which I think adds replay value and a bit more challenge for players who want to go back and get 100%. I also like the extra movement stuff they added in SMW, like the spin jump. The Super Mario series is known for good controls, and I think adding new ways to control Mario is something Nintendo has done well over the years. I don't think difficulty would make a huge difference to me in how much I like a Mario game. The series is in general pretty easy, not much harder than Kirby. Maybe SMB3 is an exception, I wouldn't know, I've just sampled the game here and there. Anyways I just figured I'd say some stuff I like about the games

• 2 weeks later...

Most excellent. Went away to visit family and come back to a continued great conversation. 

Love a good derail.

Sports are meaningless, yes. As mentioned, just as meaningless as video games. Saying you'd watch beer league just as much as a professional seems crazy.... obviously it's a whole other level of skill and gameplay. 

What was the other one? Oh yeah... SML3... that game was shit, agreed. Even 2 was pretty bad comparably. 

I'll get back to the topic at hand.... 

On 6/29/2022 at 7:36 AM, RegularGuyGamer said:

Or SMW has a better pacing which was improved upon after SMB 3 bc it's a successor?

There isn't any world in SMW that feels exhausting or where you over stay your welcome. I actually enjoyed each world and don't really have a favorite and I can't say the same about SMB 3. I still hate world 2 in SMB 3. Secret exits and bonus world also put SMW over SMB 3. 

However SMW is my favorite game of all time so I'm bias. That's what most of this thread sounds like tho. Just defending your favorite game as a kid, and for some reason why I don't watch sports on TV lol

Better pacing...? Like... faster? Aka easier? 

What makes you hate World 2 in SMB3? Most times it's the swimming. But, maybe you just gotta up your swimming skills. 😛

Defending your favourite game? That sounds like a personal attack. 🤣 Haha... 

Anyways, I dig the variety in exits, but the "bonus world" doesn't really add too much to SMW for me. 

On 6/30/2022 at 1:30 PM, Strange said:

I know the sports talk is pretty much over but I’ll say this:

All the arguments in this thread regarding why watching sports are a waste of time are all the same arguments I heard while making music when I was younger. That it was pointless, wasn’t contributing to a better world, etc.

I wouldn’t ever expect someone to like sports if they didn’t like them already, but the “waste of time” argument makes little sense to me. If watching sports is a waste of time then watching movies or playing video games certainly are wastes of time too. (For the record, I don’t believe any of these are wastes of time).

If you can understand why people are passionately defending their favorite Mario games here, then you can understand why people are passionate about their favorite sports teams (which are, in essence, another form of media that is consumed).

All in all though, my POV is that life is short and mostly suffering. And the world is likely ending. I believe in letting people enjoy what they enjoy (assuming it hurts no one else). That’s my overall take for this thread. 😉 

Yes, we SHOULD let people enjoy what they enjoy. Except if they blindly believe SMW is "better" than SMB3, even though this is categorically impossible.  😝

On 6/30/2022 at 2:25 PM, Br81zad said:

You ready for a waste of time? How about a sport that isn't even real... Pro Wrestling. 

*takes defensive cover*

Okay. Hold up here. 

You do realize that video games, movies, television shows, theatre in general are not even "real"? Well, pro wrestling fans get it too, that's part of the fun. 

The reason people still say ignorant things like that is because pro wrestling's history is rooted in "shoot" (real) fights/wrestling matches. Ssssssooooo... it's a LIVE show you see in real life and watch live in person, and it's VERY very real. SO, people who love to think their fictitious entertainments like movies and video games are superior say that pro wrestling is "not real" and obviously "fake". 

Also, your statement itself is misleading. No one watches wrestling and thinks it's "real". It's like saying "How about something that's not even real... video games/movies!". 

Well... we all know video games and movies aren't real, so it's okay that we enjoy them? 

On 7/1/2022 at 9:44 AM, fcgamer said:

I was watching some debates on YouTube, and I've altered my stance a bit, I think, which is as follows:

Mario 3 is the better game; however, just because it's the better game doesn't mean that it's the right fit for everyone.

I'd probably recommend Mario World to those casual gamers / non-gamers (aka babies) who aren't familiar with traditional Mario games or 2D games. I think it's an easier game, which makes it more accessible towards this crowd.

That being said, Mario 3 is the better game overall, and is the better choice for seasoned gamers.

Well said. Gotta give the gaming babies something. 😆

On 7/2/2022 at 4:48 PM, Ankos said:

I have not played much Super Mario Bros 3 so I can't say which is better, but I will say that I prefer the overall look to Super Mario World. That may not be fair considering that one is on the NES and one is on the SNES, but considering how often people brought up batteries, something less common on the NES, I don't think fairness is what people are going for here. Passwords would've been a more fair thing to ask for. I've sampled a little bit of SMB3 and it seems good, but I'm not really a fan of the power-ups. Tanooki suit is just stone Kirby with a moon jump code if you run fast, Hammer Suit is too similar to Fire Mario, and Frog suit...that one seems cool enough I guess. The shoe is alright too, but it got expanded upon in SMW in the form of Yoshi. The overworld item menu from SMB3 seems nice to me, it makes it feel a bit more like an RPG. SMW has more collectibles which I think adds replay value and a bit more challenge for players who want to go back and get 100%. I also like the extra movement stuff they added in SMW, like the spin jump. The Super Mario series is known for good controls, and I think adding new ways to control Mario is something Nintendo has done well over the years. I don't think difficulty would make a huge difference to me in how much I like a Mario game. The series is in general pretty easy, not much harder than Kirby. Maybe SMB3 is an exception, I wouldn't know, I've just sampled the game here and there. Anyways I just figured I'd say some stuff I like about the games

Thanks for the input Ankos! Interesting. 

SMW doesn't have anything to collect. SMB3 gives you the ability to hang onto items you find along the way. It's great! I would say that stone Kirby with a moon jump code is a pretty radical thing for a Mario game. 

Play some more Mario 3! You might enjoy yourself. 

Alright... so, back to it... 

When I typed that up I was thinking of Dragon Coins, but it turns out that is just the GBA version. Fall is also pretty cool, but I don't think you need 100% for that. Still though, SMW seems more like a game where the goal is to get 100%, whereas SMB3 is a game that the player is just trying to beat. Having a save feature and counter for what levels you've beaten makes collecting all the exits feel more important, but in SMB3 there is no save, so the focus is just on how the player wants to reach the end. I don't think either way is better than the other, but having a different end goal does change the dynamics of a game a lot. I'll go ahead and nab SMB3 on virtual console (or maybe the GBA version for the extra levels and power-ups)

13 hours ago, Jeevan said:

gotta do a golden ganon event before planning your next........

Shots Fired Reaction GIF by The Runner go90

fred armisen snow GIF by Amazon Prime Video

Wasn't my fault @Gloves site crapped out and blew apart my schedule! We missed that window, hardcore, so the inaugural Golden Ganon awards will be held in Jan 2023. I ain't holding a year-end awards ceremony in July, lol! 🤣

• Agree 1

SMW < SMB3... the gift that just keeps on giving. 

On 6/30/2022 at 2:27 PM, Strange said:

Hey overall though I think this is a great VGS thread @AirVillain. Passion, debate, derails. It’s awesome

Missed this. Thank you. I figured it was a good discussion to be had and many derails with paralells that all weave together. It's a wonderful thing. 

On 7/13/2022 at 1:25 AM, Reed Rothchild said:

Imagine deriding sports yet liking professional wrestling.  That's almost as bad as hating on SMW 😏

Are you referring to me here...? I didn't deride sports. Sports are thumbs up. Pro wrestling is thumbs up. Other forms of predetermined entertainment like video games or movies are thumbs up. 

Did I "hate on" SMW...? I mean... not really. Just stated it's not great when compared to SMB3, which I believe to be categorically true. Been some good discussion, but not even the different level exits and upgraded graphics can save SMW here. 

Tanooki Suit is the GOAT of all Mario suits. Nothing has been better since. 

On 7/13/2022 at 12:06 AM, Ankos said:

When I typed that up I was thinking of Dragon Coins, but it turns out that is just the GBA version. Fall is also pretty cool, but I don't think you need 100% for that. Still though, SMW seems more like a game where the goal is to get 100%, whereas SMB3 is a game that the player is just trying to beat. Having a save feature and counter for what levels you've beaten makes collecting all the exits feel more important, but in SMB3 there is no save, so the focus is just on how the player wants to reach the end. I don't think either way is better than the other, but having a different end goal does change the dynamics of a game a lot. I'll go ahead and nab SMB3 on virtual console (or maybe the GBA version for the extra levels and power-ups)

I think completing all the levels is still a goal of SMB 3 players. Just depends how much they are wanting to play that day. If someone lieks SMB3, they would have taken the time to play it through and play all the levels. 

The playthrough of SMW in question is the first time in a while I actually wanted to complete everything possible, yet I want to complete SMB3 all the time. 

On 7/13/2022 at 10:58 AM, Jeevan said:

gotta do a golden ganon event before planning your next........

Shots Fired Reaction GIF by The Runner go90

fred armisen snow GIF by Amazon Prime Video

I'm pretty sure I'm honoured to have been part of the thread that allowed this reference. 

Lots of good discussion here. 

I'll finish by reiterating one thing that I believe helps with my argument:

THE TANOOKI SUIT IS THE G.O.A.T. OF ALL MARIO SUITS. NOTHING HAS BEEN AS GOOD/BETTER SINCE. 

Edited by AirVillain

Events Helper · Posted
22 minutes ago, AirVillain said:

I'm pretty sure I'm honoured to have been part of the thread that allowed this reference.

check out the thread in my signature that got about 25 pages in about 24 hours, that is what this reference is to.  It should have been the thread of the year for 2021, but looks like @OptOut is gonna deny me that just like he denies me his heart.

• Haha 1

38 minutes ago, Jeevan said:

check out the thread in my signature that got about 25 pages in about 24 hours, that is what this reference is to.  It should have been the thread of the year for 2021, but looks like @OptOut is gonna deny me that just like he denies me his heart.

Well, I guess we will have a little commemorative award for best of 2021, seeing as we missed that one! 😉

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

15 hours ago, OptOut said:

Well, I guess we will have a little commemorative award for best of 2021, seeing as we missed that one! 😉

15 hours ago, Jeevan said:

might be the only time i have the chance to win......

16 hours ago, Jeevan said:

OOohhhh.... I think I may understand now. You want to win "Greatest thread of the year for 2021" but the event was never held. Well thank you for adding that meta jealous energy to this epic thread. You're just lucky I didn't unleash this bad boy back in 2021. 😛

Did you always have that link in your signature or did you put it in there specifically to make it easier to show us? I mean... I guess maybe you are really repping that thing. 🤷‍♂️ 

In return for your help here I have added my thoughts to your epic thread thus bumping it back into orbit and it can continue to live on in VGA lore. 

16 hours ago, Jeevan said:

tanooki suit is lame, the boot is waaaaaaaaaaaaaaay better 😉  

Okay... this is where we get back on track. 

I assume you're joking because of the winky face. So I will take it at that. 

For anyone who would say such a thing seriously.... It's not really a comparison as the boot isn't an actual suit. It's also very unfair to the boot. The boot, for what it is is incredible and super fun. For the ONE level. After that there's not much point in having it. 

The Tanooki Suit is a suit that you could play ANY level with and still kill it. 

The boot is neat because you can jump on spiky guys and the plants and that's great.... but it's not great enough to take you through entire worlds. 

Let's just be careful of what we're calling lame. Calling the Tanooki Suit "lame" is where things get serious. 

Events Helper · Posted
2 hours ago, AirVillain said:

Did you always have that link in your signature or did you put it in there specifically to make it easier to show us? I mean... I guess maybe you are really repping that thing. 🤷‍♂️ 

I did all that prior to the announcement of any awards.  I did it mainly to draw attention to it as @Gloves was so baffled as to why that thread was taking off so much and was kinda getting "pissed" and i use that term lightly, i dont think he really was, because it was poppin' off about some stupid question i asked.......

Administrator · Posted
1 minute ago, Jeevan said:

I did all that prior to the announcement of any awards.  I did it mainly to draw attention to it as @Gloves was so baffled as to why that thread was taking off so much and was kinda getting "pissed" and i use that term lightly, i dont think he really was, because it was poppin' off about some stupid question i asked.......

It takes more than a photo of a potato to piss me off.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

Events Helper · Posted
2 hours ago, AirVillain said:

I assume you're joking because of the winky face. So I will take it at that. 

this is not a joke........

The boot does, what the Tanooki suit doesn't........lets you move on spikes, and it is just cool as hell......also, from amateur furry, i.e. the leaf, to full on furry in a tanooki suit, even more of a reason to hate it..........

The Tanooki Suit differs in its unique ability to transform Mario into a statue for a few seconds, during which he is invincible but unable to move. In statue form, he can destroy some otherwise invincible enemies by landing on them. He can also land on spikes without getting damaged.

8 hours ago, CodysGameRoom said:

Pro Wrestling is way more interesting and compelling than team sports.

Loves me some pro wrestling. It's funny hearing the "it's not real" argument on a ideo game forum because, checks notes, video games are not real. 

7 hours ago, Reed Rothchild said:

image.png.f9a7caf8a45b610e0be719552aae4e3e.png

I didn't "make" the the Tanooki suit thing happen. It already happened. I'm just repping the truth. 

What suit is better? 

6 hours ago, Jeevan said:

this is not a joke........

The boot does, what the Tanooki suit doesn't........lets you move on spikes, and it is just cool as hell......also, from amateur furry, i.e. the leaf, to full on furry in a tanooki suit, even more of a reason to hate it..........

The Tanooki Suit differs in its unique ability to transform Mario into a statue for a few seconds, during which he is invincible but unable to move. In statue form, he can destroy some otherwise invincible enemies by landing on them. He can also land on spikes without getting damaged.

6 hours ago, Jeevan said:

i-stand-by-my-original-statement-officer

Yes, the boot is great because you can move on spikes, but you're slow, can't run, can't fly, can't kill enemies with your tail, can't turn into a statue and be invisible. 

Like I said, comparing the boot to the Tanooki Suit is unfair to the boot because of the limits on using the boot throughout the game. 

You telling me you want to use a boot throughout SMB3 and SMW would have been better with a boot as well...?