IGNORED

SMW is not great if you compare it to SMB3... Also, SMB2 stuff

AirVillain

I keep seeing the baseline time to beat SMB3 while playing all the levels is 2.5 hrs. I'm calling bullshit. It's gotta be closer to 4+ hrs for most people. Likely 6 hrs or more for noobs and casuals. (Which we all were at some point) 

But seriously, I don't suck, and I still feel like it takes 2 hours just to get to the tower that leads to the clouds. And there's still a whole lot of game left after that.

Anyway. SMW is better. Carry on. 

• Wow! 1
  • Disagree 1

Events Team · Posted
3 minutes ago, Jeevan said:

a lot of people think its the best right?.....anyway, we have derailed enough lol. 

I mean I didn't say it was everyone's favorite, just that it's a lot of people's favorite, which it is indeed. Personally, Link to the Past isn't even in the top 3 for me, haha.

14 minutes ago, Br81zad said:

But seriously, I don't suck, and I still feel like it takes 2 hours just to get to the tower that leads to the clouds. And there's still a whole lot of game left after that.

That tower in World 5 is where the game has a big difficulty spike.  I remember as a kid, once we got to the clouds in World 5, it was serious business - no more goofin' around, no jokes, just stern faces trying to beat levels, knowing that even harder Ice and Pipe worlds were to come...

• Like 2
  • Agree 1

1 minute ago, Dr. Morbis said:

That tower in World 5 is where the game has a big difficulty spike.  I remember as a kid, once we got to the clouds in World 5, it was serious business - no more goofin' around, no jokes, just stern faces trying to beat levels, knowing that even harder Ice and Pipe worlds were to come...

Yeah, I know what you mean. I've always kinda viewed it as the unofficial halfway point in the game. 

It's a real shame we didn't get a true Mario entry late in the SNES lifecycle. Yoshi's island was a great example of what was possible, but it never felt like a Mario game. 

• Like 3

I don't have a self imposed limit.  I'm also not stupid enough to leave a NES on for days or weeks at a time, it went off, because I care about not letting it rot powered on fearing maybe, it could overheat, and as a kid with a small allowance there was no way in hell I'd afford to repair or replace it.  And for some years I didn't have my own TV so leaving it going wasn't an option either.

Skipping with the whistles while it is an option, also means you actually really didn't play the game through.  You skipped, a cowards way out, simple as that.  Level too hard?  Skip the world.  To truly beat Super Mario Bros 3, you start at 1-1 and run it through to the end, and it can easily take a few hours.  As a kid I could do it, no problem, afternoon, even, sometime on the weekend, fine.  Now?  Yah...not happening.  The game is too long, and anyone making sorry ass excuses that the whistles negates the need of a battery is utterly full of crap.  There's no arguing that.

Oh and I'll up the middle finger ante.  I've got a custom made Famicom cart which has SUper Mario All-STars+Mario Bros for the NES/Famicom.  All 5 games are on there, massive MMC5 hack.  And it has per STAGE saving, not even per world/by the castle like the SNES cart did decades ago.  Fantastic cart, all in lovely english from Infidelity, so I can play the 8bit version perfectly fine without taking a wimpy shortcut to the end. 😄

Now there's a monkey wrench to the argument no one ever asked for.

SMAS-FC-Infidelity2017a.jpg

• Like 2

9 hours ago, AirVillain said:

I hear what you're saying... I meant beat it not 100% or just play it for an hour. 

I know we all have priorities in life, but 2.5 hours when we're talking about all the movies, games, and forums ppl like us waste our time on.... it's not much. 

Yes it is? Must be nice to have a straight 2.5 hours to yourself and be able to consider it "not much"!🤪

• Agree 2

1 hour ago, Tanooki said:

I don't have a self imposed limit.  I'm also not stupid enough to leave a NES on for days or weeks at a time, it went off, because I care about not letting it rot powered on fearing maybe, it could overheat, and as a kid with a small allowance there was no way in hell I'd afford to repair or replace it.  And for some years I didn't have my own TV so leaving it going wasn't an option either.

Skipping with the whistles while it is an option, also means you actually really didn't play the game through.  You skipped, a cowards way out, simple as that.  Level too hard?  Skip the world.  To truly beat Super Mario Bros 3, you start at 1-1 and run it through to the end, and it can easily take a few hours.  As a kid I could do it, no problem, afternoon, even, sometime on the weekend, fine.  Now?  Yah...not happening.  The game is too long, and anyone making sorry ass excuses that the whistles negates the need of a battery is utterly full of crap.  There's no arguing that.

Oh and I'll up the middle finger ante.  I've got a custom made Famicom cart which has SUper Mario All-STars+Mario Bros for the NES/Famicom.  All 5 games are on there, massive MMC5 hack.  And it has per STAGE saving, not even per world/by the castle like the SNES cart did decades ago.  Fantastic cart, all in lovely english from Infidelity, so I can play the 8bit version perfectly fine without taking a wimpy shortcut to the end. 😄

Now there's a monkey wrench to the argument no one ever asked for.

SMAS-FC-Infidelity2017a.jpg

I wonder which version of SMB2 LL this uses.

Do you remember how Brian the NES Christmas game guy claimed he had made a definitive version of LL for the NES, but it turned out he just stole the version that was engineered by Kaiser aka Gamars in Taiwan.

8 hours ago, Dr. Morbis said:

Yeah, I always find that funny when people say they have no time to game: like, have you also not watched a single movie in the last ten years?  Or in your whole adult life???  Could you not swap out one movie for two hours of gaming???  It's about priorities, I guess.  Plus you have to consider the fact that some men are in one-sided parent-child relationships with their wives, so they can't really set aside a little time for themselves to do some gaming because they'd feel guilty or just don't want to have to deal with the resulting "consequences."  It is what it is... 🤷‍♂️

Personally I don’t watch many movies to begin with. The last movie I watched was beca of visiting family and thats what everyone decided to do that night. The last movie I actively chose to watch was the Halloween sequel in theaters. Last fall I guess it was

8 hours ago, mbd39 said:

Many guys are addicted to sports and watch hours of grown men playing with balls. Somehow that's considered adulting.

Ive never under the appeal of watching sports. Any sport. Its the most god awful boring thing I can imagine doing. If your not participating then whats the joy in watching?

• Wow! 1

10 hours ago, mbd39 said:

Many guys are addicted to sports and watch hours of grown men playing with balls. Somehow that's considered adulting.

@LeatherRebel5150 

it’s just another genre of watching people do anything. Watching people cook, watching people argue, watching people act out fictional scenarios as fictional characters…. Aka sports

Edited by docile tapeworm
  • Like 1

Mario World and SM3 are both great!

Tanooki, Hammerbrother and Frog suit we’re fun, but they had limited use and applications.

I think there were only 2 or 3 hammerbrother suits to be found in the entire game. Aside from aesthetics, the suit wasn’t really good, especially compared to the fire flower. 

Frog suit was only really good in water levels, of which there were few…. I think Super Mario World wanted to start fresh, not just repeat what was already done. So they trimmed out the fluff. And can’t really complain because they gave us Yoshi, plus new Mario abilities. You can toss items upwards, there’s trampolines that you can carry around, flying adds a new element of skill for extended flight, P-balloons, etc.

There really is a ton a new stuff in Mario World. I think sometimes people want everything from before plus extra. Sometimes starting with a clean slate and remaking a new game is a good way to keep things fresh

• Agree 4

For some reasons which are probably highly subjective and some reasons which are a tad less so, as an overall experience, I find myself favoring SMW. Both are among the absolute greatest games ever made, absolutely, but I find myself wanting to replay SMW more often, more thoroughly and more excitedly. The save feature does help but I think one of the biggest factors is the exploration element. Finishing the Special World and seeing the overworld map and enemies change still makes me smile all these decades later.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

5 hours ago, docile tapeworm said:

@LeatherRebel5150 

it’s just another genre of watching people do anything. Watching people cook, watching people argue, watching people act out fictional scenarios as fictional characters…. Aka sports

Eh I can make arguments for watching the other things. You can learn to cook by watching, thats a useful skill. Watching people argue in particular contexts could have you learn something/some important info (maybe like a debate between scientists or something). Fictional stuff at least has storylines that should provide some sort of arc. But sports? watch people pass some form of ball back and forth or do some other unnecessary physical activity then get emotional and yell at tv because they played bad and somehow telling that to the screen accomplishes  something? Nah, dont see it, never have, probably never will

15 minutes ago, LeatherRebel5150 said:

Eh I can make arguments for watching the other things. You can learn to cook by watching, thats a useful skill. Watching people argue in particular contexts could have you learn something/some important info (maybe like a debate between scientists or something). Fictional stuff at least has storylines that should provide some sort of arc. But sports? watch people pass some form of ball back and forth or do some other unnecessary physical activity then get emotional and yell at tv because they played bad and somehow telling that to the screen accomplishes  something? Nah, dont see it, never have, probably never will

What about movies……about sports?

• Haha 2

12 hours ago, fcgamer said:

I wonder which version of SMB2 LL this uses.

Do you remember how Brian the NES Christmas game guy claimed he had made a definitive version of LL for the NES, but it turned out he just stole the version that was engineered by Kaiser aka Gamars in Taiwan.

As far as I know it's the original FDS release patched to work as a NES ROM, it's correctly functional.

Just so you do know, it's not the broken cheapo FDS hack that has damaged goods.  This one the coder looked at his copy of the FDS disk and he restored the stuff that was broken/left out.  Flashing superficial stars on the title, world 9 isn't missing, Luigi has his floaty long jump skidding physics back, and the red plants and green spring boards are present.  There is a modification, I'm not familiar with the game well, but Lakitu Spiny Egg toss was implemented (listed as unused?)

For you or anyone interested, this is the write up for it on some other forum breaking down whatever you probably could be curious about by the game: http://acmlm.kafuka.org/board/thread.php?id=8211

Edited by Tanooki
  • Thanks 1

I always loved SMB3, but I gotta say I find it strange that anyone wouldn't like SMW at least as much. In my opinion, it did everything SMB3 did, except better. I've played through World several times, but never really felt the need to revisit 3, except every once in a while.

And how could somebody from planet Earth not like sports?!? Like, not any sport at all? Bizarre.

• Agree 1
  • Disagree 1

2 hours ago, docile tapeworm said:

What about movies……about sports?

Depends. Something like Happy Gilmore where the sport is just the backdrop for some jokes, then its great. Something where they take the sport super seriously and this person has to overcome all the odds to play with the bouncy ball better then everyone else? No, it’s boring garbage.

1 hour ago, cj_robot said:

And how could somebody from planet Earth not like sports?!? Like, not any sport at all? Bizarre.

Actually going out to play the sport ball is fine and fun. I love me some mini-golf just as much as the next guy. But watching other people do it as a form of entertainment is just…why? Pick up a ball get some friends and go actually do it, or even play the dam video-game version. At least then your playing it

• Agree 1

3 hours ago, LeatherRebel5150 said:

But watching other people do it as a form of entertainment is just…why? Pick up a ball get some friends and go actually do it, or even play the dam video-game version. At least then your playing it

Of course, playing sports with family/friends is a good time. But watching the best athletes in the world compete is something else entirely. It's quite incredible to see what people can accomplish when they push their bodies to the limits. Not only that, sports brings communities together, creates bonding moments, and simply gives people something fun to talk about. I cherish going to baseball games every spring with my dad. We both have a great time hanging out, drinking beer and talking to the other fans around us about whatever. Great times.

• Agree 1

25 minutes ago, cj_robot said:

Of course, playing sports with family/friends is a good time. But watching the best athletes in the world compete is something else entirely. It's quite incredible to see what people can accomplish when they push their bodies to the limits. Not only that, sports brings communities together, creates bonding moments, and simply gives people something fun to talk about. I cherish going to baseball games every spring with my dad. We both have a great time hanging out, drinking beer and talking to the other fans around us about whatever. Great times.

Im glad you get all that from it. But none of that sounds appealing to me, especially baseball. You have to be drinking to enjoy watching that sport, and I dont drink. So much NOTHING happens during a game.