IGNORED

SMW is not great if you compare it to SMB3... Also, SMB2 stuff

AirVillain

2 hours ago, JamesRobot said:

I prefer 3 but World is pretty dope.  Matter of fact, it's the last great mainline Mario game.  Mario platformers haven't been relevant since.

As bold a claim as this is, it's not even all that out there to say. The mainline Mario games all do well of course, but Mario Kart has outsold the main series on nearly every system they've been together. It's also worth pointing out that when New Super Mario Bros. was a thing, they also consistently outsold the more ambitious mainline games.

It's sort of a sad, but unspoken truth that Mario Kart has been the main line Mario series for a very long time now.

The new main line games are still great, but I agree that they're less relevant than they were early on.

Edited by Lynda Monica
  • Agree 1

Events Helper · Posted
3 hours ago, docile tapeworm said:

Yoshi sucks

tapeworms suck, the life of their host

3 hours ago, docile tapeworm said:

Leaf> cape

skinny is a furry confirmed

3 hours ago, Reed Rothchild said:

Hot take: the Tanooki suit is not fun 

best thing in smb3 is the wearable boot.

• Like 1
  • Haha 3
  • Agree 3

One correction on that early post. Super Mario World was not at any time ever rushed along or rushed out.  The game on paper had started as far back as 1986-87 before Super Mario 2(USA) came out.  It was in actual development, cold restarts and all, for 3 years.

Oh and you're all wrong, the correct answer here is Super Mario All-Stars+World is the best version, because neither are separated.  It's one big game, so now you're not forced to choose favorites. 😄

• Like 1

1 hour ago, docile tapeworm said:

Game doesn’t need a battery. Just use the whistle.

Because I hate skipping over shit. I want to experience the whole game, but not have a sore ass doing it.

Put a fucking battery in it. Whistles are for dogs.

• Haha 1
  • Sad 1
  • Agree 3

Yeah, why'd they even put in Worlds 2 through 7?  Just get two whistles on World 1 and then warp to World 8 and beat the game - batta boom, batta bing!  Think about all of the development time they could have saved!!!   😒

• Haha 3
  • Agree 1

7 hours ago, AirVillain said:

*The save feature sucks shit. Everyone always claims this as a reason why SMW > SMB3.... well if it doesn't keep track of how many lives I have, what good is that??? Okay so you keep all the levels that you beat, but now you're at later stages in the game and you only have a few lives. It's horse shit. Or when you have to do some of the tricky star stages or Super Star area.... it's annoying you can't keep all the lives you've built up and earned. A few lives here and there in the Star section isn't a big deal when you've earned 50, but when you only start with 5, the deaths add up quickly. 

Ok this is one of those “tell me you haven’t played SMW very much, without telling me you haven’t played SMW much.”

You don’t need to start with 5 lives later in the game, for two reasons. 

First: There us a “level” specifically dedicated to stocking you up with power ups/yoshi/extra lives. It’s literally one screen with 5 “?” boxes and thats it. You leave the screen and your back to the hub world. Can rinse and repeat for as many 1 up mushrooms as you care to get. Granted this is a secret level. So lets assume the player never found or knew this secret. Then we have…

Option 2: For any stage already beaten, you can hit Start + Select to exit the level at any point. So during late game you can just travel back to one of the first levels rack up some 1 ups and exit the level without beating it. Rinse and repeat. Or just finish those levels over and over either way works.

So the save system IS much better. Theres no reason to start with 5 lives or whatever, if you choose not to. Its a little tedious, but its also infinitely better than no saves of any kind AT ALL in SMB3

• Like 2
  • Agree 1

4 hours ago, docile tapeworm said:

If you want to go to another World, give a little whistle! 😄

Not be confused with this kind of Another World obviously! 

So by golly you better thank granny for that check for $50 she sent ya so you could get the NES top loader and not have to settle for mommy soaps like that one! 😄

Edited by Estil
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Tulpa said:

Because I hate skipping over shit. I want to experience the whole game, but not have a sore ass doing it.

No, Julie Andrews, whistles are NOT for cats!  They can hurt there whittle ears 😞  Not sure about the other animals though...

And the SNES and GBA versions of SMB3 have a save feature...doesn't that count?

• Eyeroll 1

4 hours ago, Tanooki said:

One correction on that early post. Super Mario World was not at any time ever rushed along or rushed out.  The game on paper had started as far back as 1986-87 before Super Mario 2(USA) came out.  It was in actual development, cold restarts and all, for 3 years.

It may not have been rushed exactly, but Miyamoto has stated himself in interviews that he was a tad disappointed with Mario World, as in his own words he described it as "unfinished". You can probably find the interviews in question by searching for them. He admitted that the game had to be released sooner than he would have wanted due to competition.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Tulpa said:

3 hours ago, Dr. Morbis said:

Yeah, why'd they even put in Worlds 2 through 7?  Just get two whistles on World 1 and then warp to World 8 and beat the game - batta boom, batta bing!  Think about all of the development time they could have saved!!!   😒

You can whistle warp to any stage though. 2-8. 

• Agree 1

7 minutes ago, docile tapeworm said:

I don't want to do that. I want to begin exactly where I left off, or close to it. Nor does the whistle allow me to have multiple saves.

The whistles are a poor crutch for a proper save method.

• Haha 1
  • Agree 2

Yeah, without any of the items or men you had from your previous game, and without any of the levels you had already completed on that World.  SMB3 is like a 9.8 out of 10, but with a battery it would have been one of the few 10/10's in existence...