IGNORED

Heritage Auctions Thread

1 minute ago, tidaldreams said:

I don't think this guy knows much about video games. He has made some questionable purchases, including a $2k resealed yoshi's story from a sketchy shop.

Doesn't everyone have stories like that at some point in their history?  I bought a few sealed games from a reputable guy at CGE '09 and one of them (Ikari Warriors II of all things) was a reseal.  A very high quality reseal that likely wouldn't have been noticed if I hadn't opened it.  The guy offered some money back but I basically paid for a CIB so I declined it.  Ah, the good old days.

16 minutes ago, Rhapsody98 said:

That's your take away?  He was doing well, so he could afford to lose the money?    If he'd ever heard the concept of a "bubble" I'm sure he'd have stayed away, but he had no idea the price was going to drop out from under him.  And that's why scams like this succeed, because there's always someone ignorant enough and gullible enough to be the person holding the bag.  

Also, he grew up literally dirt floor poor.  Extreme poverty, especially for people in the Great Depression, causes PTSD and trauma over money and resources.  I don't blame him for always looking for ways to provide for his family.  

Boo hoo. No one held a gun to his head and forced him to buy beanie babies. 

There's a ton of people who get burned every time there is a bubble. Gold and coins in the 80s, sports cards and beanie babies in the 90s, tech stocks in 2000, real estate in 2008, crypto in 2017, etc. etc. And there's plenty of people who shout doom and gloom on the sidelines in every bubble and then act smug when the bubble pops, while some people make money and others don't. My late stepdad got burned in both of the big bubbles, in 2000 and 2008, so I know how it feels to watch someone you care about go through it. 

But you know what? Bubbles exist because of human behavior. When we see others piling into something, we feel the FOMO and want to pile in too. If a price is trending upward, we assume it will continue to trend. This is HERD MENTALITY and MOMENTUM BIAS. If we miss out on a bubble, we then get angry that no one told us about it when the going was good. See everyone who wishes they had bought Magic Cards or Bitcoin when it was cheaper... they are all regretting it. 

Everyone is acting like speculation is evil. Speculation is at the heart of investing. It's the gambling element that allows people to trade risk for reward. You have to believe that the thing you are buying is undervalued and could sell for more in the future. Otherwise how would you make any money? Everyone who "invests" in anything is speculating. Apparently some people are evil if they hype their investment to make that speculation work. 

None of this is new. 

• Like 3
  • Love 1
  • Agree 2

4 minutes ago, epiczail said:

Anyone else browsing a min ago when the site went down and wondered if WATA/HA/Deniz/any of the other shady characters took it all down 🤣

Bahaha. Or Gloves said screw it I need to go to bed I can't stay up all night monitoring this thread.

image.png.55ed9f67676dae8f19e39cfece653332.png

Edited by Shmup
  • Like 1
  • Love 1
  • Haha 12

18 minutes ago, the_wizard_666 said:

Doesn't everyone have stories like that at some point in their history?  I bought a few sealed games from a reputable guy at CGE '09 and one of them (Ikari Warriors II of all things) was a reseal.  A very high quality reseal that likely wouldn't have been noticed if I hadn't opened it.  The guy offered some money back but I basically paid for a CIB so I declined it.  Ah, the good old days.

I guess so but I don't think they are to the tune of $2k. But maybe I'm wrong?

Also, this is his main job, apparently.

Edited by tidaldreams

To all you posters on this thread...slow down, I can’t bloody keep up!!

🤪

But thanks to this thread, I’m glad to have joined this forum. So many varying viewpoints, done with passion, and everyone has a fair say. This is what a gaming community should be about - sharing the passion and defending against those being destructive to our collective love for games (genuine love).

• Agree 2

On 8/23/2021 at 12:05 PM, Gloves said:

It's an hour-long watch, and a lot of stuff we've already discussed here on VGS, but it takes everything and puts it in a nice consumable video and makes it all pretty clear.

He goes into NintendoAge stuff pretty deeply especially.

Been on NA since 2007. I knew Dain was scummy for selling the site everyone donated to and contributed to (database).

Had no idea he was a founder for Wata and sold the site to a Wata director. Yikes.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, the_wizard_666 said:

@Dr. Morbis do you recall if Tim Atwood was banned on NA or not?  I was under the impression he was...

He at least did recieve a temp ban, I don't remember if he ever got a permanent one.  He did do a bunch of weird trolling, though, if I remember correctly.  Wasn't exactly a contributing member....?

Woops, see you were quoted already a few times haha.  Have one more!

Edited by Maertens29

Events Team · Posted

I did a goofy search on google and found a thread on a pokemon cards collectors' site that is quite interesting for the contrast in discussion VS what we have here. Just thought I'd share for the fun of it, and because it is sometimes a good idea to take a step back from the heat : https://efour.proboards.com/thread/25034/jobst-video-heritage-market-manipulation

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

13 hours ago, AdamW said:

Also, "In October 2013, Bill Mastro, CEO of Mastro Auctions (the owner of Robert Edward Auctions) pleaded guilty to mail fraud in U.S. District Court and later admitted to the court that he had trimmed the "Gretzky" Wagner card to sharply increase its value."

I remember this guy from an episode of American Greed. The part about selling fake Elvis hair to his customers made me LOL. Clever but shady. 

All this talk about Stadium Events has me thinking...There are a finite # of gray and gold copies left in the world. If a natural disaster occurred and half of each colors were destroyed or lost forever.  In theory, the remaining should go up in value? 

Edited by AnimalHouse

2 hours ago, the_wizard_666 said:

Man, if I wasn't a student I'd be buying shit just to piss off the internet, but sadly I have no income at this point.  But if anyone wants to donate to the cause, I'll happily bust out the camera 🙂

#FreeTheCartridge  😛

Just post your other videos 😉  I filmed you opening a sealed Stinger long ago, and we did that Panic Restaurant at CGE in 2007.  Are those on youtube?

...And as for the topic: Hey you guys! We already knew all this shit for 2+ years; why is it suddenly such a revelation now?!?

• Like 2
  • Agree 1

25 minutes ago, AnimalHouse said:

I remember this guy from an episode of American Greed. The part about selling fake Elvis hair to his customers made me LOL. Clever but shady. 

All this talk about Stadium Events has me thinking...There are a finite # of gray and gold copies left in the world. If a natural disaster occurred and half of each colors were destroyed or lost forever.  In theory, the remaining should go up in value? 

Sure. I mean, that's supply and demand. You cut the supply in half without touching demand, prices go up.

33 minutes ago, guillavoie said:

I did a goofy search on google and found a thread on a pokemon cards collectors' site that is quite interesting for the contrast in discussion VS what we have here. Just thought I'd share for the fun of it, and because it is sometimes a good idea to take a step back from the heat : https://efour.proboards.com/thread/25034/jobst-video-heritage-market-manipulation

AqjBOjS.png

Did Karl actually say Jim Halperin bought the $100k Mario off HA listing? Because obviously that game was never listed on HA. RGT 85 made the same mistake in his video, not that I think RGT 85 actually cares about the situation. Minor inaccuracies like this that get added to the story as it telephones through the internet make it easier to rebut any legit claims by just focusing on the actual BS. Jim certainly made a press release pumping his own purchase, but he wasn't listing and buying his own game from his own platform.

Edited by DefaultGen
  • Agree 1

1 hour ago, Tanooki said:

Well this is starting to cool down at the moment...but for how long.

I haven't looked it up in awhile, is the sealed pokemon crap cooling off or still frothing stupid?  I wasn't entirely joking about opening it up.

Pokemon prices have been holding kinda stable since, like...April? Not going bananas like Mario, anyway. I kinda feel like Pokémon is in a way the most "mature" corner of the market when it comes to the "new money" approach, because people have been treating it that way for a while now.

There's a 9.8 Sandshrew red in the next HA signature, though, which could kick it off again, if HA hasn't been wound up by the feds by then. 😛

• Agree 2