IGNORED

Heritage Auctions Thread

2 minutes ago, ExplodedHamster said:

Bronty. He posted today publicly that he had a higher offer and chose to sell to whom he did because he thought it would be better for exposure. Well, turned out he was right 😅.

I saw that. I don’t get the argument that the exposure or any of this is good for the hobby. It’s actually quite the opposite. 

• Agree 5

Just now, WalterWhiteJr. said:

I saw that. I don’t get the argument that the exposure or any of this is good for the hobby. It’s actually quite the opposite. 

Well, it all depends on which end of things you are (buyer vs seller) and how much money you've got to play with.  If you're hoping to make a killing, the more exposure the better to get things hyped up and prices skyrocketing, especially given all the long time collecting and bro deals lots of folks have done.

• Like 1

Just now, darkchylde28 said:

Well, it all depends on which end of things you are (buyer vs seller) and how much money you've got to play with.  If you're hoping to make a killing, the more exposure the better to get things hyped up and prices skyrocketing, especially given all the long time collecting and bro deals lots of folks have done.

Right but money and profit isn’t good for the hobby. 

Administrator · Posted
10 minutes ago, the_wizard_666 said:

All I have to say is that I've never wanted to see a bubble burst faster and harder than this one, and that at least it's not actual collectors that are gonna get fucked in the ass by this. 

I've basically paused on collecting games that came in cardboard. I'll be more than happy to see a burst bubble if it happens, get these games back down to affordable and my collection will grow again. 

For now I'm working on the still semi affordable systems, like ps2/3.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, the_wizard_666 said:

All I have to say is that I've never wanted to see a bubble burst faster and harder than this one, and that at least it's not actual collectors that are gonna get fucked in the ass by this. 

Well, I disagree, as the skyrocketing, crazy sales prices for sealed/slabbed stuff is bleeding immediately over into all other facets of video game collecting, whether it's something that WATA grades or not.  Stuff like Atari 2600 that's still a dime a dozen as far as supply is concerned is now $5+ a cart, regardless of title, which is nuts seeing as there's no giant influx of people demanding to play those games.  Same with basically anything that took a cartridge from the mid 70s to current date, regardless of popularity with actual enthusiasts.  The investors and resellers have seen what "the market" is bearing elsewhere, and are pumping the crap out of everything, rapidly pricing more and more people out of the hobby, whether they're new to it or long timers.  I'm just thankful that I more or less completed what I set out to collect as a set before things went absolutely bonkers, although if someone is willing to do a long term payment plan on an SE so I can officially be done with licensed NES, let me know, lol.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, WalterWhiteJr. said:
Just now, WalterWhiteJr. said:

Right but money and profit isn’t good for the hobby. 

If it’s limited to sealed and truly mint CIB, I think it’s perfectly fine tbh. Loose Mario 64 carts haven’t moved one iota, for example. Seems like there’s still room for most everyone. 

• Agree 2

Just now, Gloves said:

I've basically posed on collecting games that came in cardboard. I'll be more than happy to see a burst bubble if it happens, get these games back down to affordable and my collection will grow again. 

For now I'm working on the still semi affordable systems, like ps2/3.

I'm one of the rare few that could give a rat's ass what the stuff on my shelf is worth.  It's nice to know I could sell my collection and buy a house, but if tomorrow I woke up and my shit wasn't worth a dime, I would be fine with that.  But then, I'm not an investor or a speculator, I'm just a guy who loves games.

• Like 2
  • Love 2

48 minutes ago, JeremiahJT said:

Can the main defenders of WATA here (vb337, ExplodedHamster, Gulag Joe, B.A. etc.) answer if they think Deniz valuing games is ethical? I think that is the question I would most like answered from the other side. The answer to this question would probably help me see where exactly our biggest divide is.

You guys do know there are other grading companies out there, right? Like, it IS possible to not buy Wata graded games or use their services? Heck, you don't even have to create an account on Heritage and bid on games! There are other auction houses out there too, right? The biggest issue I see here with you people is that it really bugs you that Deniz is so powerful that he can put a price on anything and someone out there will buy it for that price! Hasn't been wrong yet, either, has he? Must be some kinda voodoo!

• Eyeroll 3

1 minute ago, darkchylde28 said:

Well, I disagree, as the skyrocketing, crazy sales prices for sealed/slabbed stuff is bleeding immediately over into all other facets of video game collecting, whether it's something that WATA grades or not.  Stuff like Atari 2600 that's still a dime a dozen as far as supply is concerned is now $5+ a cart, regardless of title, which is nuts seeing as there's no giant influx of people demanding to play those games.  Same with basically anything that took a cartridge from the mid 70s to current date, regardless of popularity with actual enthusiasts.  The investors and resellers have seen what "the market" is bearing elsewhere, and are pumping the crap out of everything, rapidly pricing more and more people out of the hobby, whether they're new to it or long timers.  I'm just thankful that I more or less completed what I set out to collect as a set before things went absolutely bonkers, although if someone is willing to do a long term payment plan on an SE so I can officially be done with licensed NES, let me know, lol.

The question is, is anyone actually BUYING those Atari carts at $5+?  If nobody's buying, then the prices will go back to normal.  Also, it must be nice getting ANY video game under $5, because I have not seen that at a local level in well over a decade, so frankly I don't see an issue there anyway.

• Sad 1

2 minutes ago, ExplodedHamster said:

If it’s limited to sealed and truly mint CIB, I think it’s perfectly fine tbh. Loose Mario 64 carts haven’t moved one iota, for example. Seems like there’s still room for most everyone. 

I am just trying to understand the logic here. What benefit does inflated prices of sealed and mint CIB games bring to the hobby of game collecting and engaging with the community? I get that you made god knows how much money off slinging them Wata slabs, which is GREAT for you, but help me to understand. 

• Like 3

13 minutes ago, darkchylde28 said:

It also points out that the primary demand is from people who don't really care at all about video games, but only about money.  Basically the market is being primarily driven by investors who want to dump their money into what they're seeing as the next big bubble where they can get in and out relatively quick and make a buck, while everybody who's actually a fan of the games gets to bend over and take it because them pumping the sealed market is basically doing it to ALL related markets, quickly making what was a fun, affordable hobby for virtually anyone into yet another rich man's game.  One that the investors will get tired of, drop out of, but still leave out of reach of tons of enthusiasts, even after the prices fall and dust settles.

I don't think anyone even begrudges the true market trending up, but moreso WATA and HA basically doing it with a big bicycle pump, as quickly as possible, leaving nothing unscathed.  I mean, shit, ATARI games are getting pricey again, and comparatively nobody messes with those big time after the big crash in that market a bunch of years back.

I agree, but I don’t personally have a problem with people who don’t appreciate the games collecting. Yes, the spike in games has stopped me from collecting vintage games. It’s sad for me, but it has allowed for me to focus on other interests like getting a top of the line tv and building a nice movie collection. I probably watch more movies than playing games now a days anyway with three little kids and work.

4 minutes ago, ExplodedHamster said:

I collect mint CIB games and used to pick up sealed titles of favorites when the price was right. I have ZERO desire to sell games for a profit or look at this as investing. I am an attorney by trade and that is my 9-5 (much later than 5 unfortunately...). I collect because it brings me joy and a sense of escapism from my real life responsibilities. Now I am priced out completely. I can no longer collect what I used to enjoy because people that literally had no idea about retro game collecting came into the scene with deep pockets and orchestrated this artificial environment. So now me, and people like me, can no longer afford items that bring us joy. Backdooring has never been as prevalent as it is these days. All anyone talks about is "how much is this worth?" Jealousy and envy, and cliques have formed and alienated people. Just look at this thread as a clear-cut example. So I ask you, how is any of the foregoing GOOD for the hobby of retro collecting? 

• Like 4
  • Sad 2
  • Agree 1

25 minutes ago, ExplodedHamster said:

Bronty. He posted today publicly that he had a higher offer and chose to sell to whom he did because he thought it would be better for exposure. Well, turned out he was right 😅.

Just pointing out that since the the shill bidding accusation is in the air, the "higher offer" could've been someone else associated with HA/WATA.  

• Like 1