IGNORED

Heritage Auctions Thread

2 minutes ago, DefaultGen said:

AqjBOjS.png

Did Karl actually say Jim Halperin bought the $100k Mario off HA listing? Because obviously that game was never listed on HA. RGT 85 made the same mistake in his video, not that I think RGT 85 actually cares about the situation. Minor inaccuracies like this that get added to the story as it telephones through the internet make it easier to rebut any legit claims by just focusing on the actual BS. Jim certainly made a press release pumping his own purchase, but he wasn't listing and buying his own game from his own platform.

Yeah, this is something I actually wondered about. The press release never says the game sold at auction. It just says it was sold and these people bought it. I'd been figuring people who said it was an auction actually knew it was, but maybe that was just a mistaken assumption all along? It definitely doesn't show up in HA's sales history if you search for it.

Edited by AdamW

Events Team · Posted
1 minute ago, DefaultGen said:

AqjBOjS.png

Did Karl actually say Jim Halperin bought the $100k Mario off HA listing? Because obviously that game was never listed on HA. RGT 85 made the same mistake in his video, not that I think RGT 85 actually cares about the situation. Minor inaccuracies like this that get added to the story as it telephones through the internet make it easier to rebut any legit claims by just focusing on the actual BS. Jim certainly made a press release pumping his own purchase, but he wasn't listing and buying his own game from his own platform.

I don't think Karl said that, and personally I thought that the cliff note you're highlighting was referring to the part about the guy explaining how his father (I think it was his father, not sure) used to rebuy some of his collectibles just to have a new higher price sale data point in time (but I might certainly be wrong here).

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, DefaultGen said:

AqjBOjS.png

No he didn't say that. What he said (paraphrasing) is that Jim bought the game with two others and that Jim made a press release about it with the mention of putting it up for auction on HA at some point. 12:20 on the video if you want to watch it.

• Agree 1

56 minutes ago, Dr. Morbis said:

Just post your other videos 😉  I filmed you opening a sealed Stinger long ago, and we did that Panic Restaurant at CGE in 2007.  Are those on youtube?

Yeah, they also require links to watch though.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ydGeU0Q4i_Y

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HnQaUgPnY8w

Enjoy the retro goodness.

But the idea is that I wanna do a new one, seeing as the last one was a decade ago...they don't have the same pissoff appeal that cracking a WATA case and opening that fucker would have on the internets 😛

• Like 4

A few things I want to say.

GoCollect's Cassundra Thomas has a February 4, 2021 article that talks about the "difference" between VGA and WataGames. The fact she admits that she did not use either service show how poorly GoCollect is managed.

This article (that I have once mentioned before) contains some info that says HA preparing to auction off video games before Wata was established is nothing new. The contrast between the two has me believe that HA does have a bigger role in all of this. And that Deniz is more the face, and less the brains, of that company.

So yeah... Blah blah blah this is why I used CAS. Blah blah blah I wonder what complaints people will have after they switch from Wata to CGC. Blah blah blah Khan job.

• Haha 3

7 hours ago, vb337 said:

My goodness, the amount of confirmation bias in these comments is astounding. The jaded collectors who are ready to take the Youtuber's word as gospel should really look at a list of common logical fallacies and try to improve your debating skills.

Honestly, I had to read your post multiple times to try to understand it. Not trying to be rude or to start a fight, but perhaps you should worry about improving your grammar before telling folks that they should improve their debating skills.

• Like 2
  • Agree 2

58 minutes ago, FenrirZero said:

A few things I want to say.

GoCollect's Cassundra Thomas has a February 4, 2021 article that talks about the "difference" between VGA and WataGames. The fact she admits that she did not use either service show how poorly GoCollect is managed.

This article (that I have once mentioned before) contains some info that says HA preparing to auction off video games before Wata was established is nothing new. The contrast between the two has me believe that HA does have a bigger role in all of this. And that Deniz is more the face, and less the brains, of that company.

So yeah... Blah blah blah this is why I used CAS. Blah blah blah I wonder what complaints people will have after they switch from Wata to CGC. Blah blah blah Khan job.

I’m sorry, that last line killed me. 🤣

• Like 2

8 hours ago, vb337 said:

I posted a list of six intelligent questions yesterday that were mostly ignored because they didn't suit your incredibly narrow view of the situation. I didn't need to resort to posting memes. But I'm done talking to little idiots like you anyway. I'll see myself out.

No offense, well maybe a little, but you claiming to ask anything that can be defined as "intelligent" can be summed up as a contradiction. By calling anybody an "idiot" because you do not like how they have responded, your desire to ask said questions is more narcissistic than what you claim it to be.

The fact you had to respond that way makes you the kid who refuses to play because nobody will play by their rules. Which has the response you received a valid one, just because you have chosen to be the proverbial child who is trying to act like an adult. And not an adult who can handle sarcasm like other non-egotistical adults handle it.

But since you chose to take your proverbial ball and go home... All I will say in the end is "Bye, bye." 😉

• Like 3

41 minutes ago, ICrappedMyPants said:

I’m sorry, that last line killed me. 🤣

It's all good. 👍

At this point, all I can do is hope that you did not laugh too hard. And that if you did, I can only hope that you wore brown pants. With added hope that you can convince those who smell something that they are smelling HA's defense. 😉

• Like 1

Edit: Incorrect information was in this article.

https://www.nintendolife.com/news/2021/08/possible_retro_game_grading_inconsistencies_come_to_light_following_fraud_allegations?fbclid=IwAR3ovMpKGFH8GpU0bM1Wzf_zPVNxCY1oTflokVZQ-u9zfM1Wn5rou79OTrs

Jeff Meyer issued VGC the following statement:

“No one at GoCollect, myself included, was consulted on any of this content. The allegations against me and GoCollect are untrue. I was never employed by Wata. I held a board position because I was a late stage investor in the company. I resigned from my board position in January 2020. I would welcome a live stream interview with @karljobstgaming”

Edited by Dumars2001
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Dumars2001 said:

Well, this sure isn't a good look for WATA. I can't wait for CGC grading to arrive on the scene. Back to VGA for me until the dust settles with WATA/Heritage.

https://www.nintendolife.com/news/2021/08/possible_retro_game_grading_inconsistencies_come_to_light_following_fraud_allegations?fbclid=IwAR3ovMpKGFH8GpU0bM1Wzf_zPVNxCY1oTflokVZQ-u9zfM1Wn5rou79OTrs

Come on man, don't give that Seth Abramson any ounce of credibility.  He's been parading around the FB groups lately and it's clear he has an extremely large ego and thinks that he knows it all with less than a year in the market.

With that example, no more than a case evolution.  Excitebike was graded 10/1/19 and these new mold red copies are graded July 21.  I'm assuming that after the huge lot of moldy games was on eBay this Spring, Wata realized that these really needed to be tagged somehow if poeple are going to get in the business of grading moldy games.  Any collector knows that is quite possibly the most extreme and severe flaw possible for a sealed game and not really desirable.

If anything that bolsters the argument that Wata is trying to protect their buyer base instead of put one past them.

And someday, I can almost 100% guarantee that CIB and Sealed games will probably have different colors to make it even more clear as well.   Cases evolve over time.

Edited by jonebone
  • Like 3
  • Agree 3

53 minutes ago, Dumars2001 said:

WATA just changed cases recently to color code mold. It’s a change a number of people had requested. I suspect more similar changes will come over time with labels (Sealed vs CIB, prototypes, autographs, etc). The EB case is an old one, the Alpha Mission is a new one. It’s as simple as that. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Agree 1

19 minutes ago, ExplodedHamster said:

WATA just changed cases recently to color code mold. It’s a change a number of people had requested. I suspect more similar changes will come over time with labels (Sealed vs CIB, prototypes, autographs, etc). The EB case is an old one, the Alpha Mission is a new one. It’s as simple as that. 

if a number of people request something overwhelmingly, then they should color code an apology series

Edited by SealedWholesale
  • Haha 2
  • Agree 1

56 minutes ago, jonebone said:

Come on man, don't give that Seth Abramson any ounce of credibility.  He's been parading around the FB groups lately and it's clear he has an extremely large ego and thinks that he knows it all with less than a year in the market.

With that example, no more than a case evolution.  Excitebike was graded 10/1/19 and these new mold red copies are graded July 21.  I'm assuming that after the huge lot of moldy games was on eBay this Spring, Wata realized that these really needed to be tagged somehow if poeple are going to get in the business of grading moldy games.  Any collector knows that is quite possibly the most extreme and severe flaw possible for a sealed game and not really desirable.

If anything that bolsters the argument that Wata is trying to protect their buyer base instead of put one past them.

And someday, I can almost 100% guarantee that CIB and Sealed games will probably have different colors to make it even more clear as well.   Cases evolve over time.

Ah, Gotcha and agree with you! I should have done more research on this, before posting it here. I didn't know about this guy.

32 minutes ago, ExplodedHamster said:

Okay, I was unaware of this. My bad. I won't hesitate to say it, when I am clearly wrong or uninformed on something. I should have done more research on this.

Edited by Dumars2001

9 minutes ago, Dumars2001 said:

Okay, I was unaware of this. My bad. I won't hesitate to say it, when I am clearly wrong or uninformed on something. I should have done more research on this.

Hey man, you’re not the one with a blue journalist check mark. Nobody has time to research everything in life, and there’s nothing to apologize for. It’s rough watching simple stuff like that get twisted by so-called “experts,” but I mean welcome to the age of social media 😎.

Edited by ExplodedHamster
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, the_wizard_666 said:

Yeah, they also require links to watch though.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ydGeU0Q4i_Y

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HnQaUgPnY8w

Enjoy the retro goodness.

But the idea is that I wanna do a new one, seeing as the last one was a decade ago...they don't have the same pissoff appeal that cracking a WATA case and opening that fucker would have on the internets 😛

I remember watching that Panic Restaurant years ago ... aaand yeah, apparently I commented on it 9 years ago, lamenting prices even then! Anyway, I always loved your corner of the hobby and the sealed contents FAQ, to me that's what collecting was about. Never about money, always about finding new games and cataloguing things. I always said if I had a spare million bucks, I'd buy a complete sealed set and open them all. Unfortunately a million wouldn't cut it anymore.

• Like 2
  • Wow! 1
  • Love 1

Administrator · Posted
44 minutes ago, Generic said:

This was Dain’s response to me when I expressed similar feelings on IG.

AAC9CA8D-13A3-4EB9-93D3-CA0022E5F0AD.png

With Dain, his main motivator was apathy, not greed.  

He was pretty much checked out of the site the last several years it was open.   Not sure exactly when his brain flipped the switch on not being into video games any longer in any capacity, but once he was done he was done.

I don't fault him for getting max value out of his physical stuff (as he never really was the "carnival barker" type), but I do think it was shitty that he had several fair offers from within the existing NA community and staff to at least buy NintendoAge, but ended up going the direction he did.  

In the other thread that was linked a few pages ago, it's pretty funny that MrMark pointed out almost verbatim what's being discussed in the video and that was almost two years ago.

EDIT:  Found where I found it!  (Wanted to make sure the proper poster got credit for digging it up)  

15 hours ago, John198X said:

NA shutting down was a bummer for me. I didn't find this forum until a bit after it had started and haven't lurked too often. Even when I do, it's The Gauntlet and other play areas I keep to, just as I did on NA. I'm reading some older threads here on this topic, and it's quite a trip... A whole lot of info in Jobst's video that's been around here for years for those willing to look. This one is fun...

• Like 3
  • Love 1

We went from poor Karl's video being the word of God to it now being a 52 minute long misleading and out of context libel and slander Qanon video! He should have stayed in his lane with his speed run videos instead of trying to become an overnight video game journalist! I can't wait for these live streams, it's gonna be like a pay-per-view!

• Like 1
  • Eyeroll 7
  • Disagree 2

Jeff Meyer's statement below is really huge for me and if it really goes down (and others from WATA or Heritage House start to address the situation more openly and with more transparency, then we can start to get to the bottom of some of these serious allegations in the Karl Jobst video and possibly put away some of our pitchforks.

Jeff Meyer issued VGC the following statement:

“No one at GoCollect, myself included, was consulted on any of this content. The allegations against me and GoCollect are untrue. I was never employed by Wata. I held a board position because I was a late stage investor in the company. I resigned from my board position in January 2020. I would welcome a live stream interview with @karljobstgaming”

Edited by Dumars2001

23 minutes ago, captmorgandrinker said:

I don't fault him for getting max value out of his physical stuff (as he never really was the "carnival barker" type), but I do think it was shitty that he had several fair offers from within the existing NA community and staff to at least buy NintendoAge, but ended up going the direction he did. 

Just speculating… sale of the physical collection may have been contingent on the inclusion of NA

And yes, board members usually are not employees.

Edited by kell