IGNORED

Heritage Auctions Thread

1 hour ago, Gulag Joe said:

You have smug people in this forum tell you to collect for the love but then they go on to subtly remind you that you weren't good enough at collecting like they were because you didn't get the games years ago like they did.

Everything okay over there? You seem frustrated. 

• Haha 1

15 minutes ago, 3rdStrongestMole said:

Everything okay over there? You seem frustrated. 

4 hours ago, Gulag Joe said:

tHiS tHrEaD mAkEs Me SaD bECaUsE i'M bEtTeR tHaN yOu BeCaUsE I CoLlEcT bEcAuSE I LoVe ViDeO gAmEs AnD hErE iS a LiSt oF gAmEs I oWn To PrOvE iT

I dunno, looks like he's having a stroke! 🤣

21 minutes ago, Gulag Joe said:

Just wanted to point out a common theme that gets repeated frequently in this forum.

I LoVe ViDeO gAmEs AnD oNlY cOlLeCt FoR tHaT rEaSoN bUt I dO oWn AlL tHe BeSt GaMeS sO eAt ShIt

Come on man, you bring it on yourself.  You sit here and talk about Wata population reports like this little thing called VGA doesn't exist.  You can preach what you want but don't get so damn offended when someone calls you out on it.

No one is bragging so sorry you read it that way.  If you would like me to talk about selling Super Mario World 85+ for pennies compared to today's values, or Super Metroid VGA 90, 85+ and 85+ with no sealed copies left to show for it, I can give you plenty of stories from the "gee I invested wrong perspective."

End of day, people build their collections in the way they deem fit and should be proud of them.  I'm thankful for where some values are today (though it's so damn tough to buy these days) but it was always a mix of skill and luck.  You can be much happier having a collection you love and missing out on some upside rather than investing wrong and having something you don't even want.  

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

42 minutes ago, jonebone said:

Come on man, you bring it on yourself.  You sit here and talk about Wata population reports like this little thing called VGA doesn't exist.  You can preach what you want but don't get so damn offended when someone calls you out on it.

No one is bragging so sorry you read it that way.  If you would like me to talk about selling Super Mario World 85+ for pennies compared to today's values, or Super Metroid VGA 90, 85+ and 85+ with no sealed copies left to show for it, I can give you plenty of stories from the "gee I invested wrong perspective."

End of day, people build their collections in the way they deem fit and should be proud of them.  I'm thankful for where some values are today (though it's so damn tough to buy these days) but it was always a mix of skill and luck.  You can be much happier having a collection you love and missing out on some upside rather than investing wrong and having something you don't even want.  

I'm not offended by any of what happened here. I was just midning my own business complaining about how MK1 gets no respect and it's severely underrated and should be a better investment when more big money sports game bros enter the sealed game market in the coming years and then somebody comes along and takes a dump all over me about games not being about money but should be for love.

Administrator · Posted

Collecting games should mean to you whatever you want it to. It "should" nothing. That's all opinion and there's really no "should" about it outside of your own views. And you can just as easily respect the views of other with neither party being harmed in any way whatsoever. 

Some people play the stock markets, some people play video games, and sometimes some people from one take a peek into the other. There's NOTHING wrong with that at all. 

I hate that CIB games get slabbed. But I respect peoples' right to do with their things what they want. 

• Agree 1

7 hours ago, jonebone said:

But this thread makes me sad of the state of collecting today.  People are literally arguing about what is the better investment, Mortal Kombat or Pokemon.  What happened to the collecting mentality of buy the stuff you like and not treat everything as a max investment decision?

I wasn't arguing about which is a better investment (I couldn't afford to buy either at this point :>) I was just saying I can see a reasonable justification for why Pokemon would cost more.

Administrator · Posted

Jone makes a lot of very good points throughout this thread, many of them with which I strongly agree.  I didn't read his posts as bragging about his successes really.  Jonebone has worked very very hard to get where he is today.  I mean, he has been very aware of the market for years and years, and yes, definitely used that to his advantage.  But he put in a lot of time and effort to gaining that knowledge and earning the success he made.  

Even if you forget all of that, he actually makes some really good points about finding joy in this hobby, despite all of the things we've come to despise.

I don't think it's that people are wrong for being upset about some of the unnatural changes, but I think some of the "hurt" feels a bit exaggerated or overly negative sometimes.  Everyone is going to feel differently of course, and that is fair, but there is only some much complaining and venting to be done, before realizing that all it is doing is making yourself unhappy.  If I focus a lot of energy and time on WATA and investing, and just sit here and dwell on everything happening, eventually it is going to turn me sour.  I think it's fine to share the concerns, but I think there can also be a balance of taking a step back and realizing....you know, there is still a lot of great stuff out there, and great ways I can enjoy the hobby, DESPITE what is happening.

Things aren't exactly like they were before, but there literally is no changing what happened over the past few years.  We can work to help shape things going forward of course, as much as is possible (and that is limited), but we certainly can't change the infusion of cash or changes in the market.

People can choose of course how they want to continue in the hobby, if at all.  I urge people to try to reflect on this a bit more though, before posting bits of angry rants about how things are so terrible.  You are within your right to do so, and I'm not making fun of you, but I just personally believe it is just making you even more frustrated.  

I wish good luck to everyone.  I think the future is still bright in terms of gaming / collecting, and I'm certainly not going to let big money ruin my fun.  I've seen the phrase "this hobby is ruined" on more than one occasion by more than one person.  They are entitled to that opinion of course, but I strongly disagree.  It is forever changed, but not "ruined."

• Like 5
  • Love 1
  • Agree 1

46 minutes ago, Gloves said:

Collecting games should mean to you whatever you want it to. It "should" nothing. That's all opinion and there's really no "should" about it outside of your own views. And you can just as easily respect the views of other with neither party being harmed in any way whatsoever. 

Some people play the stock markets, some people play video games, and sometimes some people from one take a peek into the other. There's NOTHING wrong with that at all. 

I hate that CIB games get slabbed. But I respect peoples' right to do with their things what they want. 

I do think it's silly to get upset with others for what they collect and how they treat their collection,  but the why does matter a little bit. 

Reason being, those who are just in it for the money are directly (or indirectly) affecting the cost that other collectors need to pay for items that would otherwise not be difficult to obtain to build a collection. The "stock market" collectors are pricing out the "average joe" collectors.

So, one form of collecting is actually harmful to the other form.

😭😭😭... I know... But it doesn't make it untrue!

Edit: Then I read @spacepup 's post, and I feel like everything is going to be just fine 

Edited by 3rdStrongestMole
  • Like 1

Administrator · Posted

It will be fine yea! 💗

Well, it's not to undermine or minimize some of the concerns shared.  I know them, I've felt them too.  Trust me, I get it.

BUT, on the other hand.  We do have at least SOME control and ability with how we view things and how we deal with things, and I'm seeing a lot of disappointment and negativity in people's minds that I would love to see shift if at all possible, not even for my sake, but for their own.

It's more a message about...there's still some cool ways we can engage other and this hobby, maybe we can try to focus on that a bit more instead of dwelling on the things we DON'T like.

I don't know, I'm not here to stifle free conversation and I want people to feel comfortable to share the honest thoughts and feelings.  But still, take a step back, take a deep breath, and let's find ways to make this the best it can be, within the confines of things outside of our control.

• Like 2

30 minutes ago, epiczail said:

Article is wrong or misquoted in 2 areas:

"...A sealed version of the first print, with the box graded out by WATA as a 9.0 recently sold for..."

"...And given what the first print in a higher condition went for, we thought the market..."

The recent HA sale was a second print (circle R), not first print.

1 hour ago, blarky said:

Article is wrong or misquoted in 2 areas:

"...A sealed version of the first print, with the box graded out by WATA as a 9.0 recently sold for..."

"...And given what the first print in a higher condition went for, we thought the market..."

The recent HA sale was a second print (circle R), not first print.

Was going to point out the same thing. Dude dun f'ed up if he based his bid on what he thought a first print went for. Big oof.

Administrator · Posted
6 hours ago, spacepup said:

Jone makes a lot of very good points throughout this thread, many of them with which I strongly agree.  I didn't read his posts as bragging about his successes really.  Jonebone has worked very very hard to get where he is today.  I mean, he has been very aware of the market for years and years, and yes, definitely used that to his advantage.  But he put in a lot of time and effort to gaining that knowledge and earning the success he made.  

And actually saw the Gamestop stock thing coming years ago!   I think he's part wizard.

2 hours ago, epiczail said:

The buyer "Eric Naierman", is the dentist who was involved in another big NES bundle sale some years back, article.

Last year, talking to an ebay seller about a game I was interested in. The seller explained some guy bought $45K of sealed SNES including the game I was interested in. I asked if it was on ebay or locally? He said, "a gentleman who he talk to on ebay, flew out from Florida to buy (paid in cash) and pick them up in a Ryder truck." Curious, I asked what kind of games? He said "200 copies each of Wario's Woods, Addams Family Values, Star Trek, Dino City, etc."  I always wondered if it was the same dentist guy.

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, AnimalHouse said:

The buyer "Eric Naierman", is the dentist who was involved in another big NES bundle sale some years back, article.

Last year, talking to an ebay seller about a game I was interested in. The seller explained some guy bought $45K of sealed SNES including the game I was interested in. I asked if it was on ebay or locally? He said, "a gentleman who he talk to on ebay, flew out from Florida to buy (paid in cash) and pick them up in a Ryder truck." Curious, I asked what kind of games? He said "200 copies each of Wario's Woods, Addams Family Values, Star Trek, Dino City, etc."  I always wondered if it was the same dentist guy.

Yes... You could say he is well known around these parts...

Screenshot_2019-10-19-17-06-11-22.thumb.png.055dc9a2b8b0c53b660b83bd753ba84e.png

🤣

• Haha 1

Moderator · Posted
2 hours ago, tidaldreams said:

Was going to point out the same thing. Dude dun f'ed up if he based his bid on what he thought a first print went for. Big oof.

Not really, it actually helps him in this instance. If the later print went for that much, it makes his later print that much more valuable than comparing it to a first print.

• Agree 1

14 minutes ago, doner24 said:

Not really, it actually helps him in this instance. If the later print went for that much, it makes his later print that much more valuable than comparing it to a first print.

I love how basically the entire sealed/graded videogame market is being propped up by literally ONE mad dentist and his fuggin dog! 🤣

5 minutes ago, doner24 said:

Yeah, I don't really understand his logic. He thought the one at Heritage that went for $870k was a first print, and then says the second print in worse condition is worth $600k. That doesn't make any sense. If he thought the $870k one was a first print, then there's no way he should think a second print one in worse condition is $600k, it would be worth far less.

“I think the box would get an 8 or an 8.5,” Naierman told The Action Network. “And given what the first print in a higher condition went for, we thought the market was around $600,000 for this.”

• Agree 1

5 minutes ago, tidaldreams said:

Yeah, I don't really understand his logic. He thought the one at Heritage that went for $870k was a first print, and then says the second print in worse condition is worth $600k. That doesn't make any sense. If he thought the $870k one was a first print, then there's no way he should think a second print one in worse condition is $600k, it would be worth far less.

“I think the box would get an 8 or an 8.5,” Naierman told The Action Network. “And given what the first print in a higher condition went for, we thought the market was around $600,000 for this.”

It's not that confusing when you remember how market value for graded videogames is determined:

Fairly Oddparents Burn GIF

• Haha 3

10 minutes ago, tidaldreams said:

Agree, the logic doesn't quite make sense.  I'm assuming he knew the one on HA was 2nd print, and that it's just some error in the article / misquote / misrepresentation here.  Maybe instead of "first print", what was really meant was something like "first sale" or "former sale" , referring to the former HA sale.  

• Agree 1