IGNORED

Heritage Auctions Thread

21 minutes ago, AnimalHouse said:

Probably Jeff Bezos or someone who doesn't need the extra cash.

I'm surprised it sold that high and it no "TM" version.

Buyer is gonna try to flip it probably. Has anyone even seen a sealed TM version before? If one went up for auction, it would go for over a million even raw.

3 minutes ago, tidaldreams said:

Buyer is gonna try to flip it probably. Has anyone even seen a sealed TM version before? If one went up for auction, it would go for over a million even raw.

Most likely so, if he/she want to recover that investment. Probably in the wild somewhere or in a bank vault collecting dust. I thought the one that sold at HA on July 9th was a TM but was an R. I should've reviewed my spreadsheet on past sales before commenting 😄 but yeah millions would be correct.

You'll get plenty of great data points in the next auction, TM Zelda and RE1 longbox should bring in some whales, who knows what else will make the auction too.

But this thread makes me sad of the state of collecting today.  People are literally arguing about what is the better investment, Mortal Kombat or Pokemon.  What happened to the collecting mentality of buy the stuff you like and not treat everything as a max investment decision?

I'd much rather own the stuff I like no questions asked.  For me I've had a MK1 sealed for many years and no pokemons until a Yellow picked up in mid 2020.  And I'm very happy with the decision regardless of missed profit opportunity when Pokemons were $400-$500 sealed all day long. 

• Like 5
  • Agree 1

22 minutes ago, jonebone said:

But this thread makes me sad of the state of collecting today.  People are literally arguing about what is the better investment, Mortal Kombat or Pokemon.  What happened to the collecting mentality of buy the stuff you like and not treat everything as a max investment decision?

I'd much rather own the stuff I like no questions asked.  For me I've had a MK1 sealed for many years and no pokemons until a Yellow picked up in mid 2020.  And I'm very happy with the decision regardless of missed profit opportunity when Pokemons were $400-$500 sealed all day long. 

That is a great question. I'd rather buy something that I'd like to own regardless of price over something I have no interest in that may potentially go up in value.

Edited by Bearcat-Doug

2 hours ago, jonebone said:

What happened to the collecting mentality of buy the stuff you like and not treat everything as a max investment decision?

What happens when you are trying to do the mentality of "buy the stuff you like" but you can't because the prices skyrocket thanks to the "max investments" group??

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, CodysGameRoom said:

What happens when you are trying to do the mentality of "buy the stuff you like" but you can't because the prices skyrocket thanks to the "max investments" group??

Games you love don’t need to be first print, sticker sealed, gem 10s. They can be loose carts found in the toilet of goodwill that you’ll restore to play. A loose Mario 64 surely does not cost $1.5 million though. 

This thread is the wrong place for that mentality though. I’m not at all saying buying graded games is bad. Collect however it makes you happy. But if you want to play in the big leagues, best bring your checkbook. 

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

1 hour ago, CodysGameRoom said:

It's always a trade off on price, condition and variation / print.  Always has been and always will.  You can always find stuff you like on a budget if you sacrifice on condition or completeness or print.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

1 hour ago, CodysGameRoom said:

You have smug people in this forum tell you to collect for the love but then they go on to subtly remind you that you weren't good enough at collecting like they were because you didn't get the games years ago like they did.

35 minutes ago, jonebone said:

It's always a trade off on price, condition and variation / print.  Always has been and always will.  You can always find stuff you like on a budget if you sacrifice on condition or completeness or print.

1 hour ago, a3quit4s said:

Games you love don’t need to be first print, sticker sealed, gem 10s. They can be loose carts found in the toilet of goodwill that you’ll restore to play. A loose Mario 64 surely does not cost $1.5 million though. 

This thread is the wrong place for that mentality though. I’m not at all saying buying graded games is bad. Collect however it makes you happy. But if you want to play in the big leagues, best bring your checkbook. 

I don't disagree with you guys. I've bought more than my fair share of incomplete, bad label, etc games in the past. Plenty of games in my collection could use an upgrade.

I just wish it all happened a little more organically. Not the way it did with Wata, Heritage, GoCollect, comic investors, etc. That's all.

• Like 1

Administrator · Posted

I settled on condition to get my Pokemon CIBs. I was a bit reluctant, but with the way prices were trending and have trended, in hindsight its good that I did. What I paid then for the whole GB/GBC/GBA set, today I'd spend on just one of them in any better condition. 

25 minutes ago, CodysGameRoom said:

I don't disagree with you guys. I've bought more than my fair share of incomplete, bad label, etc games in the past. Plenty of games in my collection could use an upgrade.

I just wish it all happened a little more organically. Not the way it did with Wata, Heritage, GoCollect, comic investors, etc. That's all.

People are always searching for the next Tulip market to exploit. 

edit: https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tulip_mania

Edited by a3quit4s
  • Like 1