IGNORED

Heritage Auctions Thread

5 hours ago, CodysGameRoom said:

Is this true?

image.png.e2b0be653924d92dd370322aea522802.png

I guess this should tell pple how HA's quality control is...I mean for all we know this could be an isolated incident or it could be normal but were now finding out because someone is complaining on social media or where ever the person is complaining on. The 9.4 copy could be sitting somewhere in HA warehouse or some other HA customer has it. If its the latter and the person is unable to be reached. Do you suppose HA will compensate the price difference out of there own pocket?

On a side note, I wonder how many HA employees fudge up like this on a monthly basis and what are the consequences? (example: slap on the wrist, warning, deduction of pay, termination, etc.)

• Like 2

Deniz recently posted these images on social media (lost the link I caught) which shows some incredible games, sealed or not but minty anyway.  Makes you wonder, youtuber 'hidden gems' 2.0?  Puff up the value of a game, conveniently have no pop reports to support it, gin up a pool of rich idiots and speculators, sell said game for a crap ton more than it's previous worth...and his own personal value increases notably.  Genius!

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, Tanooki said:

Deniz recently posted these images on social media (lost the link I caught) which shows some incredible games, sealed or not but minty anyway.  Makes you wonder, youtuber 'hidden gems' 2.0?  Puff up the value of a game, conveniently have no pop reports to support it, gin up a pool of rich idiots and speculators, sell said game for a crap ton more than it's previous worth...and his own personal value increases notably.  Genius!

Maybe? Good luck replicating that plan though.

10 minutes ago, B.A. said:

How do you mean? It's entirely self-sustaining!

You lure dumb fucks in to spend ridiculous sums of money on sealed games, and that attracts MORE dumb fucks when they see how much these games are selling for, and then somebody buys Super Mario 64 for a million dollars! 🤣

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

4 hours ago, B.A. said:

I’ve worked out the formula of the master plan:

1. Buy at exponential amount.

2. Hype at exponential amount.

3. Sell at exponential amount. 

4. Profits galore!

• Like 2
  • Wow! 1

Looks like the next auction has a sealed Kingdom Hearts Chain of Memories and not one but TWO sealed Resident Evil Gaidens. None of these are mine but it will be a good way to see what I can hopefully get for mine if I go for February's auction. These will be the ones I eye intently.

• Agree 1

1 hour ago, tidaldreams said:

Who the hell thought it would be a good idea to donate this?

https://www.shopgoodwill.com/Item/127320702

image.png.1e23a993669c10b5bd1c22001a198fa7.png

Maybe the same person that donated a gold Nintendo World Championship cartridge to charity.

https://blog.pricecharting.com/2010/01/how-i-sold-nintendo-world-championships.html

6 hours ago, Code Monkey said:

Maybe the same person that donated a gold Nintendo World Championship cartridge to charity.

https://blog.pricecharting.com/2010/01/how-i-sold-nintendo-world-championships.html

I miss the good old days back in 2010 when $18,000 was considered an absurd amount of money to pay for a video game.

• Agree 2

I still can't get over the pokemon prices. There have roughly been dozens of each title sold for mountains of cash on HA. Then I see a title like Mortal Kombat 1 for Genesis, an historically significant game that led to the creation of the ESRB and revolutionized fighting games, and it can barely get 10k, and there's only been 5 of those offered for sale on HA.

32 pokemon games have sold for more than one Genesis MK1.

I don't want to stop there. For some reason the lame no blood SNES MK1 that all the kids with worried moms bought is selling for more.

I wanna speak to a hedge fund manager about this ridiculousness.

51 minutes ago, Gulag Joe said:

I still can't get over the pokemon prices. There have roughly been dozens of each title sold for mountains of cash on HA. Then I see a title like Mortal Kombat 1 for Genesis, an historically significant game that led to the creation of the ESRB and revolutionized fighting games, and it can barely get 10k, and there's only been 5 of those offered for sale on HA.

I don't want to stop there. For some reason the lame no blood SNES MK1 that all the kids with worried moms bought is selling for more.

I’m sorry, but your sense of nostalgia and sense of logic is completely non-correlation in today’s era of online auction houses. The formula is now a simple:

sell(x) => get(y)

x = game

y = pick a number of your fantasy and you shall receive.

• Haha 1
  • Agree 1

3 hours ago, Gulag Joe said:

Here's the thing. Mortal Kombat 1 is historically significant to video game nerds of a certain age. Pokemon and Mario are historically and culturally significant to everyone who has been or had a child since the 1980s/1998.

2 hours ago, AdamW said:

Here's the thing. Mortal Kombat 1 is historically significant to video game nerds of a certain age. Pokemon and Mario are historically and culturally significant to everyone who has been or had a child since the 1980s/1998.

Yes, MK's significance is substantially less and it's not close. Pokémon is the highest grossing media franchise of all-time, by far. Every other IP, movie, game, comic, toy, anime, cartoon, etc. you've ever enjoyed has made tremendously less money than Pokémon has- and Pokémon isn't going anywhere.

It's stronger than ever after 25 years.

Meanwhile, Mortal Kombat is roughly the fourth best-selling fighting game franchise of all time. It's not even the most popular, best-selling or influential fighting game franchise of all-time.

5 hours ago, AdamW said:

I think we need to dissect this reasoning:

- yes, Mario and Pokemon are historically and culturally influential/significant to most gamers since 80s/90s.

- no, the most historical significance does not necessarily translate into highest prices. The past 30 years prior to WATA have suggested so.

eg. Mario/Zelda/Pokemon being more popular than Nintendo World Championships, but you probably could have purchased 3 lots of sealed (Mario + Zelda + Pokemon) for 1 loose Nintendo World Championship cart (prior to the HA price explosion). 

—————————

Then the other argument is if it’s culturally or historically important to the end bidders of the recent 1-2 years, I have 2 questions:

1. Why didn’t they purchase a Mario/Pokemon for the past 30 years? 

2. Why are they only spending big on certain auction sites, and not bothering to look elsewhere for a better discount? 

(I’m not referring to all auction bids, but specifically the ones with record breaking sales.)

• Like 2

1. Because they did not see video games as a desirable commodity then.

2. From what I've seen prices aren't particularly different between venues. There's a perception that they are but if you are careful to compare prints and grades accurately, and account for time of sale, the differences mostly go away. There was no competition on other markets for the most recent record breaking sales. Copies of the same print of the same game in the same condition were not available anywhere else. OTOH, if you compare sales of commonly sold games, like the SMBs or Pokemon, across HA signatures, HA weeklies, certifiedlink, eBay...they all pretty much match up, honestly.

4 hours ago, DJ said:

Yes, MK's significance is substantially less and it's not close. Pokémon is the highest grossing media franchise of all-time, by far. Every other IP, movie, game, comic, toy, anime, cartoon, etc. you've ever enjoyed has made tremendously less money than Pokémon has- and Pokémon isn't going anywhere.

It's stronger than ever after 25 years.

Meanwhile, Mortal Kombat is roughly the fourth best-selling fighting game franchise of all time. It's not even the most popular, best-selling or influential fighting game franchise of all-time.

Sealed Genesis MK1, if bought at the prices it's selling around right now, is the better game to own (excluding the first 3 pokemons- red, blue, yellow) over the long term and has the most potential for growth, especially when that pop report goes public.

You heard it "hear" first.

Edited by Gulag Joe

1 hour ago, GPX said:

I think we need to dissect this reasoning:

- yes, Mario and Pokemon are historically and culturally influential/significant to most gamers since 80s/90s.

- no, the most historical significance does not necessarily translate into highest prices. The past 30 years prior to WATA have suggested so.

eg. Mario/Zelda/Pokemon being more popular than Nintendo World Championships, but you probably could have purchased 3 lots of sealed (Mario + Zelda + Pokemon) for 1 loose Nintendo World Championship cart (prior to the HA price explosion). 

—————————

Then the other argument is if it’s culturally or historically important to the end bidders of the recent 1-2 years, I have 2 questions:

1. Why didn’t they purchase a Mario/Pokemon for the past 30 years? 

2. Why are they only spending big on certain auction sites, and not bothering to look elsewhere for a better discount? 

(I’m not referring to all auction bids, but specifically the ones with record breaking sales.)

You are asking the right questions.