IGNORED

Heritage Auctions Thread

5 minutes ago, AdamW said:

The WATA case I was thinking of is a different and more recent one - not the one where they knowingly graded "interesting" clearly-not-original repros, but one where they seem to have unknowingly graded a repro that really tried to look exactly like an original. I'd have to find the thread again to check the details though.

VGA's response when I and others contacted them about the Pokémon fakes was a stock "we'll tell someone about it" reply from the customer service person and then nothing further. The same fakes have shown up on eBay several times, VGA have taken no apparent action on it. I dunno if WATA were made aware of the PC engine game thing or, if so, what their response was.

Ah ok, I have not seen that one. I didn't even know they were doing PC games lol. I guess just disc jewel cases?

Administrator · Posted
1 minute ago, port said:

NICK MORGAN NICK MORGAN NICK MORGAN

Just now, the_wizard_666 said:

Fuck, might be the only way I can get that explanation I've wanted since the mid 2000s...

Hounder, Hounder, Hounder!

😛

He actually signed up when the site started but I can't remember what username he is.

• Wow! 1
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, port said:

NICK MORGAN NICK MORGAN NICK MORGAN

I was gonna try and deliver, but sadly I just looked...he's no longer on my Facebook list.  Granted, it's been close to a decade since my last chat with him, so I'm not surprised.  Just slightly disappointed...that could've been fun 😛

• Sad 1

Just now, the_wizard_666 said:

I was gonna try and deliver, but sadly I just looked...he's no longer on my Facebook list.  Granted, it's been close to a decade since my last chat with him, so I'm not surprised.  Just slightly disappointed...that could've been fun 😛

https://www.reddit.com/user/skcin7

He's still out there.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, spacepup said:

This is sort of a side conversation, that isn't so much about the allegations and drama, but something I thought worth mentioning because it highlights a very philosophical difference of opinion between different members of our community, and perhaps, where a lot of rub and disagreement stems from (in general, and over the last couple years).

In the e-mail that SealedWholesale shared, Deniz says (allegedly):

-----
As collectors first, with backgrounds in other matured collectibles markets yet specializing in video games, we are addressing the fundamental flaws that have been circumvented in the video game market that prevent it from growing to its potential and that hinder involvement from key players and investors in ancillary markets. We set out on this venture over one year ago because we believe this is what the industry needs to move forward. There are many sellers of video games (and only a handful of your caliber!). But without objective, quality, trusted, and meaningful standards, the market will continue to be limited in its growth by a lack of confidence.
-----

Read the above carefully.  It just highlights something that I thought about even in the early days of discussion around WATA.  One of the selling points for WATA, in a pitch to me, was that it was going to help, and I quote, "legitimize the video game collecting hobby."  

I paused for a moment, thinking....I don't believe I personally have an interest in seeing it more "legitimized" because what this person meant by that comment was, more attractive and more lucrative as investments and collectibles which would attain future status and higher value.  And to me personally, that was not really my goal or why I was collecting at the time.

Obviously people collect for different reasons, and I can't say that one is right or wrong in their goals, but it highlighted for me a very significant difference of opinion regarding the direction of video game collectibles.  It was clear to me that, some people viewed video game collectibles as 'undervalued investments' with much potential for future "growth."  GROWTH, in this case, is not really the kind of growth that I was personally after.

So whether anyone wants to call it manipulation, inorganic, or whatever else, it highlighted for me that at least a few years ago, several individuals saw an opportunity to take action to "correct" this problem, and to 'grow' and 'legitimize' video game collectibles.  And they took such actions, starting a spiral that leads us to today.  

I won't get into much of the arguing and nonsense in this particular post, but it is just something I have been thinking about for a while now, and wanted to share.

At the end of the day, I haven't given up hope and I am trying to make the best of things wherever I can.

That business statement is all kinds of revealing.

1463973146_harrypotteriterferig.png.5979ed9131bb4ae3905017ef53909dd1.png