IGNORED

Heritage Auctions Thread

8 minutes ago, the_wizard_666 said:

I hope so...only way I'll be able to afford to crack open a WATA game...

You know, I gotta say that the icing on the proverbial cake here would be if I did just that, opened the game up, and it turned out to be a reseal.  That's my biggest fantasy tbh - to crack open a slabbed sealed game and find out it was a reseal that made it through the grading process.

I mean, we already know VGA grades fake Pokemon games and WATA grades fake PC Engine games, right?

Wait. We know that. Does @karljobstknow that?

• Like 1
  • Wow! 1

1 minute ago, AdamW said:

I mean, we already know VGA grades fake Pokemon games and WATA grades fake PC Engine games, right?

Wait. We know that. Does @karljobstknow that?

I actually didn't know that.  But I'm not a sealed guy either, so a lot of stuff like that never hits my radar.  But it'd be great to get something like that, crack it open, and actually PROVE that.

• Agree 1

1 minute ago, the_wizard_666 said:

I actually didn't know that.  But I'm not a sealed guy either, so a lot of stuff like that never hits my radar.  But it'd be great to get something like that, crack it open, and actually PROVE that.

I mean, the VGA Pokemon case was flagrantly obvious. Here's the thread:

those are very well-known fakes and very obvious from the outside. The PC Engine one I wasn't so familiar with but apparently it's well known to those in the know. Some guy who did very accurate unlicensed reproductions, early ones had no intended identifying features, WATA graded one of those...

• Angry 1

5 minutes ago, AdamW said:

those are very well-known fakes and very obvious from the outside. The PC Engine one I wasn't so familiar with but apparently it's well known to those in the know. Some guy who did very accurate unlicensed reproductions, early ones had no intended identifying features, WATA graded one of those...

WATA put on the label it was a reproduction, correct? It still did create a mini firestorm and I believe they agreed to change practice after that because it didn't stand out enough. I personally would like to be able to display some of the great old repros made by the community, but they should probably give them a new label color or something. Or have a label color and the grade area just say "REP" instead of a number grade. In fact, they might have even changed policy to that? I don't know. The only one I ever sent in was a black box Ice Hockey an old NA member made about 7 years ago or so. It has a grade, but I'm never selling it, so I'll either just keep it as is or send it back in to get a new label.

But undoubtedly both VGA and WATA have graded re-seals at some point. There's bound to be some level of human error over the course of tens of thousands of games, long hours, expansion of staff, etc. The question is how grading companies react when such issues are discovered.

Edited by ExplodedHamster
  • Angry 2

This threads kind getting stale, just wanted to add one last thought for the day.

I think the discussion about the ending of NA is healthy. Relationships sometimes end nasty. Re-establishing communications where there were none are most always a good thing. Even if that means in the process people have to blow off some Steam and voice their frustrations. 

@Dain I want to thank you for signing up and adding some new context to the ending of NA situation. Can’t tell you how much it is appreciated not only by me, but others I’m sure.

@B.A. Hopefully we can put the disagreements in past. All that stuff has already happened and it was years ago in a whole different setting.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1
  • Agree 4

3 minutes ago, AdamW said:

That's not what I was worrying about though.  A bootleg game getting graded happens from time to time, and as was mentioned in the thread, any reputable company would go to great lengths to buy it back to take it out of circulation.  What I'm concerned with is a legitimate game getting resealed, then getting graded.  The graders claim to be experts on the seal, not on whether a game is or is not a bootleg (although they should at least be able to spot the obvious).  But anyone buying a sealed and graded game expects the seal to be legitimate.  I feel like a reseal getting through would be far more scandalous to the grading company than a bootleg slipping through the process would be.

I have a Heritage and Wata question in an auction that's happening right now. The only way I think this game could be a 9.8 A+ is if the scratches all over it are actually from the Wata case and not the seal itself. I do have a Wata case that has scratching inside the case down the left hand spine, but this looks like it's scratched all over. Has anyone seen a slab this bad? I really don't think Wata would grade it this high.

Screenshot_20210827-151228_Chrome.jpg

• Wow! 1

14 minutes ago, inasuma said:

EDIT: On a side note, the distinction you draw for a "reasonable person" is really something for a court to decide, but I digress. 😛 

Reminds me of this:

"Fox persuasively argues, see Def Br. at 13-15, that given Mr. Carlson’s reputation, any reasonable viewer “arrive[s] with an appropriate amount of skepticism” about the statements he makes."

https://law.justia.com/cases/federal/district-courts/new-york/nysdce/1:2019cv11161/527808/39/

Fox news case that no reasonable person would take what Tucker says as facts. 

• Haha 1
  • Eyeroll 1

3 hours ago, the_wizard_666 said:

While we're at it, let's bring back Stan and Portnoyd. 

Independence Day Hello GIF

And seriously if I could fly a fighter jet into NA to kill it, I would oh wait someone already did that and paid for the privilege nevermind.

1 hour ago, Gentlegamer said:

Good old Port!

heath ledger GIF by Maudit

This is a guy who clearly doesn't remember me posting on NA a decade ago. Or posting when NA was in its death throes. Or pretty much any time anyone mentioned NA to me online or in public. Or posting anywhere online. Moving on.

1 hour ago, the_wizard_666 said:

Oh I know!  I think the biggest problem with him is that he lacks tact and has an abrasive personality (at least online, can't speak to his offline personality).  I think a lot of what he's said over the years was bang on, but said in a way that even people who agreed with his positions would get pissed off about it 😛  Also, the Log Blog was pure gold!

Oh believe me, I have been furiously masturb...

1 hour ago, the_wizard_666 said:

the biggest problem with him is that he lacks tact

... furiously masturbating to all of this Wata nonsense. I've been told you can see my erection from space now. It's glorious. If things keep turning up Milhouse for me, I'm going to literally become Milhouse. Which is fine because yet another incredibly stupid thing about game collecting now is literal Pogs. You know, Shantae Pogs. It's like watching a cartoon of game collecting by the guys who did ATHF. So those will go with the Alf pogs.

Jokes aside (this will be difficult but I will try), anyone who remembers me knows my disdain for VGA and yes, it went tenfold for Wata, which is still one of the dumbest names I have ever encountered. When I heard they were grading open games, I knew the dam was breaking. Being as I'd rather shoot myself in the head then try and make some sort of public presence (ala Pat... it was possible as I had the patented Wall of Games trick to sit in front of and can curse uncontrollably), I just watched instead of trying to fight it.

It's impressive to me that superNESman and cohorts managed to create something that feels dirtier than VGA ever did... and now is being proven as actually dirty. How do you make VGA look like the good guy in all of this? I honestly don't know if there is a rift between this site and the actors who constitute the Wata grift, but I hope there is. With Abramson involved, I would not want any connection to this boondoggle in the slightest.

I have been around, not here... oh no not here.... but I've been around. I've largely slowed to a crawl with collecting because I have everything I could want, prices are lol and I have kids. What's that? No one cares? Correct answer, former NA, correct answer.

@Dain Hey man. I know why you're posting but I would not. I do hope all is well with you though and that this shit, wherever it goes, keeps you out of it.

So in summation:

Claw is a centaur; his dad is a horse.

Watajoke.

I still think the lot of you are twits.

Edited by port
  • Like 4
  • Wow! 1
  • Love 2
  • Haha 7

2 minutes ago, phart010 said:

This threads kind getting stale

I think this could liven it up.

@Dain If you'd be willing to address the following items, it would be very interesting. Of course, understandable if you choose not to. You owe us nothing. 

1. What is your opinion on WATA and Heritage Auctions as they stand currently? 

2. Do you think WATA and Heritage Auctions engage in dishonest or shady business practices?

3. What are your personal opinions of both Deniz Kahn and Jim Halperin?

4. When initially considering involvement with WATA games, were you aware of any relationship with Heritage Auction / Jim Halperin / and were you aware of Jim's escapades in the coin market in the 1980s?

5. How much did you sell your collection to Jeff from Go Collect for and do you regret selling it, knowing that if you had waited a few years you could have made way more money?

6. If you truly have the entire old NintendoAge site sitting in front of you, would you be able to to give someone access to some data to back it up, or would there be issues due to GoCollect technically owning the website?

Thanks for your consideration.

• Like 5
  • Agree 1

3 minutes ago, port said:

And seriously if I could fly a fighter jet into NA to kill it, I would oh wait someone already did that and paid for the privilege nevermind.

This is a guy who clearly doesn't remember me posting on NA a decade ago. Or posting when NA was in its death throes. Or pretty much any time anyone mentioned NA to me online or in public. Or posting anywhere online. Moving on.

Of course I do, and Digitpress before that. You were the voice crying out in the wilderness, calling out BS in the collector arena for years.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, port said:

Oh believe me, I have been furiously masturb...

... furiously masturbating to all of this Wata nonsense. I've been told you can see my erection from space now. It's glorious. If things keep turning up Milhouse for me, I'm going to literally become Milhouse. Which is fine because yet another incredibly stupid thing about game collecting now is literal Pogs. You know, Shantae Pogs. It's like watching a cartoon of game collecting by the guys who did ATHF. So those will go with the Alf pogs.

Jokes aside (this will be difficult but I will try), anyone who remembers me knows my disdain for VGA and yes, it went tenfold for Wata, which is still one of the dumbest names I have ever encountered. When I heard they were grading open games, I knew the dam was breaking. Being as I'd rather shoot myself in the head then try and make some sort of public presence (ala Pat... it was possible as I had the patented Wall of Games trick to sit in front of and can curse uncontrollably), I just watched instead of trying to fight it.

It's impressive to me that superNESman and cohorts managed to create something that feels dirtier than VGA ever did... and now is being proven as actually dirty. How do you make VGA look like the good guy in all of this? I honestly don't know if there is a rift between this site and the actors who constitute the Wata grift, but I hope this is. With Abramson involved, I would not want any connection to this boondoggle in the slightest.

I have been around, not here... oh no not here.... but I've been around. I've largely slowed to a crawl with collecting because I have everything I could want, prices are lol and I have kids. What's that? No one cares? Correct answer, former NA, correct answer.

@Dain Hey man. I know why you're posting but I would not. I do hope all is well with you though and that this shit, wherever it goes, keeps you out of it.

So in summation:

Claw is a centaur; his dad is a horse.

Watajoke.

I still think the lot of you are twits.

Oh man, I missed these posts!  Pretty sure you like me about as much as anyone here, but I gotta say I've always loved your posts.  Entertaining as fuck!

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, ExplodedHamster said:

WATA put on the label it was a reproduction, correct? It still did create a mini firestorm and I believe they agreed to change practice after that because it didn't stand out enough. I personally would like to be able to display some of the great old repros made by the community, but they should probably give them a new label color or something. Or have a label color and the grade area just say "REP" instead of a number grade. In fact, they might have even changed policy to that? I don't know. The only one I ever sent in was a black box Ice Hockey an old NA member made about 7 years ago or so. It has a grade, but I'm never selling it, so I'll either just keep it as is or send it back in to get a new label.

But undoubtedly both VGA and WATA have graded re-seals at some point. There's bound to be some level of human error over the course of tens of thousands of games, long hours, expansion of staff, etc. The question is how grading companies react when such issues are discovered.

The WATA case I was thinking of is a different and more recent one - not the one where they knowingly graded "interesting" clearly-not-original repros, but one where they seem to have unknowingly graded a repro that really tried to look exactly like an original. I'd have to find the thread again to check the details though.

VGA's response when I and others contacted them about the Pokémon fakes was a stock "we'll tell someone about it" reply from the customer service person and then nothing further. The same fakes have shown up on eBay several times, VGA have taken no apparent action on it. I dunno if WATA were made aware of the PC engine game thing or, if so, what their response was.

Edited by AdamW

10 minutes ago, phart010 said:

This threads kind getting stale, just wanted to add one last thought for the day.

I think the discussion about the ending of NA is healthy. Relationships sometimes end nasty. Re-establishing communications where there were none are most always a good thing. Even if that means in the process people have to blow off some Steam and voice their frustrations. 

@Dain I want to thank you for signing up and adding some new context to the ending of NA situation. Can’t tell you how much it is appreciated not only by me, but others I’m sure.

@B.A. Hopefully we can put the disagreements in past. All that stuff has already happened and it was years ago in a whole different setting.

Well said, and I agree.

• Like 5
  • Wow! 1

12 minutes ago, Gulag Joe said:

I have a Heritage and Wata question in an auction that's happening right now. The only way I think this game could be a 9.8 A+ is if the scratches all over it are actually from the Wata case and not the seal itself. I do have a Wata case that has scratching inside the case down the left hand spine, but this looks like it's scratched all over. Has anyone seen a slab this bad? I really don't think Wata would grade it this high.

Screenshot_20210827-151228_Chrome.jpg

Unfortunately, I have. These things are made in China, ship from China, and sit at docks for like 2-3 months now upon arrival to the US. I'm hoping that Collector's Universe money will offer a solution. The scratched case rate is fairly high, as is the debris rate.

Edited by ExplodedHamster
  • Like 1
  • Wow! 1