IGNORED

The 3DS Thread

We all knew this was coming, but as with most consoles (other than the Wii U), support will continue at least for a little bit.  I would say that the DS "empire" won't end until at least 2021 if not the year after.  Online support will continue at least until next year.  I also assume that games will continue to be release for a little while.  Maybe not from Nintendo, but some third parties will.

It was totally writing on the wall.  From the time I started casually dipping to trying to deep dive into getting a New 2DS XL a month ago it was a nightmare to find anything as far as the hardware goes.  I hadn't seen it a primary source like Target and Best Buy except like one of this or that at all post virus, maybe really more likely post-Christmas/New Year shopping period.  Scalpers started finding what they could and started demanding like a 30% premium or more on the stuff new or used on ebay and worse on amazon.  Took me weeks but I was finally able to wrangle the one I wanted for the MSRP NOA's site listed so I was happy.  I was just about to say screw it and get a refurb off them for the right price w/warranty than feed a troll.

Games have been an issue too, some stores just won't carry them anymore, recently in the last month or so Gamestop stopped carrying new systems and new games, what's kind of left of new is it and the used is used, all dumped into a small compressed shelf off to the side status.  Best Buy, Target, secondaries like Meijer have maybe anywhere from as selection of 2 to 4 maybe 10 titles in all with low quantities.

Thankfully outside of some weird 2-3x the price Atlus orgy going on on the after market a great many of the 3DS games, pandemic bump aside on some, have not gone up, still down, and perhaps may fall more since that nonsense is cooling off.  There are still some attempting it wanting $30 on a new $20 MSRP selects title, but that's mostly about it.

6 hours ago, Craigly1234 said:

I liked it a lot! It’s very different from most fire emblems, but I like the art style and music. Biggest downfall is the map design but it is a remake of an nes game so 🤷‍♀️

Yea it is very different with the open world part every now and then. The weapon system was different too iirc. I think it's one of the best fire emblems if not the best and I'm always surprised by how many people skipped over it. 

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
On 12/24/2020 at 9:01 PM, samsamsamsmasmasma said:

think I am gonna work on this set next. I was debating between which nintendo sets to do and it seems to be the prime time to polish off this set. any tips to get started? anyone have any extras they want to offload?

The 3DS has an excellent library. What kinds of games are you into? I have a bunch I can recommend that I enjoyed if you’d like. 

Editorials Team · Posted
On 12/24/2020 at 7:01 PM, samsamsamsmasmasma said:

think I am gonna work on this set next. I was debating between which nintendo sets to do and it seems to be the prime time to polish off this set. any tips to get started? anyone have any extras they want to offload?

I guess the games that are at least "uncommon" at this point.  By that I mean they command some higher amounts:

Professor Layton vs Phoenix Wright
Rhythm Thief
Shin Megami Tensei IV
Shin Megami Tensei IV Apocalypse
Shin Megami Tensei Soul Hackers
Shin Megami Tensei Devil Survivor
Shin Megami Tensei Devil Survivor 2
Shin Megami Tensei Strange Journey
Persona Q2
Atooi Collection
Yo-Kai Watch 3
Yo-Kai Watch Blasters Red
Yo-Kai Watch Blasters Blue
Corpse Party
Dragon Quest VIII
Professor Layton Azran
Etrian Odyssey V
...and so forth

The "rares" (that I know of)
Barbie Glam Pups (or whatever the hell it's called)

And if you're into variants there's the Pokemon steelbook(s), the Fire Emblem Dual Cart thing, all of the NIS and Atlus special editions, etc.

On 10/7/2020 at 7:07 PM, Makar said:

Yea it is very different with the open world part every now and then. The weapon system was different too iirc. I think it's one of the best fire emblems if not the best and I'm always surprised by how many people skipped over it. 

I've played every Fire Emblem released in the USA, and Echoes is definitely my favorite. My top three are Echoes, Awakening, and Path of Radiance. I think Three Houses is way overrated. I view it almost as more a Japanese dating sim than a true Fire Emblem game.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, avatar! said:

I've played every Fire Emblem released in the USA, and Echoes is definitely my favorite. My top three are Echoes, Awakening, and Path of Radiance. I think Three Houses is way overrated. I view it almost as more a Japanese dating sim than a true Fire Emblem game.

Nice! I’ve played almost all of them. Just have to beat the shadow dragon switch release then play the shadow dragon ds version. Those might be my top 3 too or maybe swap path if radiance with conquest. Three houses is the only fire emblem I haven’t completed. It just got way too chore esque after a bit and wasn’t as enjoyable. Totally agree about the dating sim thing too. It was a nice idea, it just could’ve been executed a lot better. Despite all that, I should probably go back and beat it one day. 

1 hour ago, Makar said:

Nice! I’ve played almost all of them. Just have to beat the shadow dragon switch release then play the shadow dragon ds version. Those might be my top 3 too or maybe swap path if radiance with conquest. Three houses is the only fire emblem I haven’t completed. It just got way too chore esque after a bit and wasn’t as enjoyable. Totally agree about the dating sim thing too. It was a nice idea, it just could’ve been executed a lot better. Despite all that, I should probably go back and beat it one day. 

Honestly, both Fates and Three Houses are among the weaker entries. At least Fates was a genuine Fire Emblem experience, and also the hardest FE game in the series (I played it on Lunatic, I play all FE games on the hardest setting 🙂 Three Houses just is not FE. It really is more chores than anything else. And a dating sim. I rather worry that the next FE will be just a sequel to Three Houses - what I want is a sequel to Echoes!

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, avatar! said:

Honestly, both Fates and Three Houses are among the weaker entries. At least Fates was a genuine Fire Emblem experience, and also the hardest FE game in the series (I played it on Lunatic, I play all FE games on the hardest setting 🙂 Three Houses just is not FE. It really is more chores than anything else. And a dating sim. I rather worry that the next FE will be just a sequel to Three Houses - what I want is a sequel to Echoes!

Amen to that. Echoes is the GOAT fire emblem game. I see what you’re saying. Conquest is up there for me a lot because of how freaking hard it was. I’ll never forget that dumb wind level. Took me a month to beat. I also remember sacrificing my entire team in the final battle to win. Truly the hardest entry in the series. You know what I really need to replay? Sacred stones. First fire emblem game I ever played and that was at least 15 years ago. Haven’t played it since but I do remember it being a solid game.