IGNORED

The 3DS Thread

I am noticing that there is quite a decent library of interesting games. I have yet to ever get into a fire emblem game but that might just be because of a lack of trying. It's not my go to genre but that just requires a little extra effort to get into it. Ill keep an eye out for them. Ive had a 3ds ever since it came out but I think I only ever picked up one of the pokemon games, ocarina, and smash bros. I mostly like platformers, puzzle, and adventure genre.

I also noticed today that there are not many games available in the wild at least where I am. All that I found were a bit high priced, or weren't CIB. Checked all the retro game shops, gamestops and Walmart. Its interesting how there are still a lot of new copies of 3ds games available. I did pick up a handful of wii u and gameboy games so it wasn't a complete loss.

I guess unless conventions start back up this is mostly going to be an ebay/online marketplace effort.

I did see that stupid Barbie game is the heavy hitter for the set. Gotta love that.

Edited by samsamsamsmasmasma

17 hours ago, Reed Rothchild said:

You guys are reminding me that Purple Fates and Echoes are still in my backlog and that I should target one in the 2021 backlog challenge.  Which you should partake in.

My vote is you check out echoes. I’ll take a look at that thread too thanks 

11 hours ago, samsamsamsmasmasma said:

I am noticing that there is quite a decent library of interesting games. I have yet to ever get into a fire emblem game but that might just be because of a lack of trying. It's not my go to genre but that just requires a little extra effort to get into it. Ill keep an eye out for them. Ive had a 3ds ever since it came out but I think I only ever picked up one of the pokemon games, ocarina, and smash bros. I mostly like platformers, puzzle, and adventure genre.

I also noticed today that there are not many games available in the wild at least where I am. All that I found were a bit high priced, or weren't CIB. Checked all the retro game shops, gamestops and Walmart. Its interesting how there are still a lot of new copies of 3ds games available. I did pick up a handful of wii u and gameboy games so it wasn't a complete loss.

I guess unless conventions start back up this is mostly going to be an ebay/online marketplace effort.

I did see that stupid Barbie game is the heavy hitter for the set. Gotta love that.

Yea there are quite a few solid 3DS titles. For the genres you like, here are some games I’d recommend 

Shovel knight

Zelda link between worlds

tetris axis 

Luigis mansion dark moon

witch and hero 1 and 2 and 3

cave story 3d

and yea it seems like lots of stores are starting to focus more on the switch and leave the 3DS behind.

• Like 1

I haven't picked up my 3DS in almost a year but I just plugged it in and it isn't charging. Has anyone had issues with one of the cheap $6-7 replacements off ebay? Or is there another recommended option?

EDIT: I found my spare charger and it turns out my original charger was bad. Nevermind.

Edited by Aguy

3 hours ago, Aguy said:

I haven't picked up my 3DS in almost a year but I just plugged it in and it isn't charging. Has anyone had issues with one of the cheap $6-7 replacements off ebay? Or is there another recommended option?

EDIT: I found my spare charger and it turns out my original charger was bad. Nevermind.

So an OEM battery from Nintendo isn't good enough? 😉

https://store.nintendo.com/nintendo-3ds-2ds/replacement-parts.html

5 hours ago, Tanooki said:

I'd rather pay the price.  Often those Chinese batteries are big fat lies.  They'll print a power rating on them, then be like 1/2 the capacity so they burn out faster than an original.  It's very common among GBA SP and DS style  batteries.

Second this. I always buy OEM now after getting cheaper Chinese knockoffs that would barely last or have issues. Haven’t had to do it for the 3DS but this is true for other electronics like laptops.

• Like 1

The only time I ever resorted to it, because of such poor quality of the first party batteries over a decade old by then, they've all dropped more or less dead or are ticking time bombs of swelling to going into a combustible toxic pop... Sony PSP batteries.  I did a lot of research found the insten one had the same charge time/discharge time surprisingly, but not being a decade old either who knows if they pillow too.

But for Nintendo they sell them for years after until gone, even then usually if you're good about it you can find after market ones using the same factory molding/language(with (Nintendo) removed) that are ok, but so many are ghetto.  It's why anytime I find a dead unit, or one goes, I save the batteries.  I've got like 3 GB Micro replacements, same on the SP and a couple DS too.

• Like 1

• 4 months later...

Looping back around on this, found a page of every 3DS kisekae set ever made. There are a number of them that are one of a kind or close to it, so good luck finding them!

https://nintendowire.com/new-3ds-cover-plates/?__cf_chl_tk=Z71tPNpz76y4I9MuaGAUOAyFH1X2qMuW3USMud6VCes-1637685305-0-gaNycGzNB-U

The market has gone insane on these this year it seems, the prices I paid last year are a distant memory.

Speaking of kisekae plates, does anyone know of good ways to display them? The packaging for retail that some plates used is good, but there are some plate sets that were part of a console box set and were not given a retail case at all. Curious if anyone has ideas for how to display those pieces. Maybe you have to sacrifice some unimportant plates and use their packaging instead?

I have started storing batteries and testing them too. I was surprised to find that my batteries are largely pretty bad, some of my SP only last two hours on full charge! Probably going to just recycle those unless I can justify keeping them for "testing" since I can at least show that the system they are inside of still works.

Editorials Team · Posted

I wrapped up my collecting a couple years ago, and only purchased the Atooi collection from LRG since.  There's a few random titles I'd consider getting such as Monster Hunter Stories, but in general I'm done.

Shame LRG didn't get involved sooner or heavier.

• Agree 1

2 hours ago, Reed Rothchild said:

I wrapped up my collecting a couple years ago, and only purchased the Atooi collection from LRG since.  There's a few random titles I'd consider getting such as Monster Hunter Stories, but in general I'm done.

That was the last game I bought too.  It's not that I won't buy any other 3DS games, but I own just about everything I think I would want, and I hardly ever see cheap stuff in the wild.  I'm sure there are some first party titles I would still like, but I never wanted to pay full price for them.

2 hours ago, TDIRunner said:

That was the last game I bought too.  It's not that I won't buy any other 3DS games, but I own just about everything I think I would want, and I hardly ever see cheap stuff in the wild.  I'm sure there are some first party titles I would still like, but I never wanted to pay full price for them.

I just thought we'd have more time before 3DS game prices gained momentum. Somehow games were cheaper before the Switch launch than they were afterwards. 

26 minutes ago, RegularGuyGamer said:

I just thought we'd have more time before 3DS game prices gained momentum. Somehow games were cheaper before the Switch launch than they were afterwards. 

It's sort of like the Wii U.  There was never that huge dip when games were dirt cheap.  New games were regular price, and then they were gone.  Clearance priced games were few and far between (but I did manage to snag a few).  

10 hours ago, Reed Rothchild said:

I've talked to Josh about that a few times over the years. There weren't a lot of games that they felt that they could get the developers to go back and get the work done that was needed to make a physical cart, plus there was a larger minimum order that they'd have to hit from the offset that also tempered things. 

• Thanks 1

11 hours ago, RegularGuyGamer said:

Man, I haven't found a good 3DS lot in months. I find better deals on Switch games these days. 

They just don't come up at all do they?  Worse, I don't see many of them in this county pop up at all in any bulk.  I'll see a new game or two show up at HBP or one or two new ones cycle into the local online marketplaces, but nothing usually all that interesting.  It's weird.  3DS never really dropped in value because Nintendo quietly killed it off just leading into the stupid virus, so that kicked off the usual trolls who buy low and sell highest into overdrive so it never got that dip where people get rid of their 'trash games' for something new.

@TDIRunnerI kinda was it coming from the Wii U though since the library was so small it was bound to full set collectors from the start. The mania behind Hello Kitty kart racer and even like Devil's Third was around during the life cycle. I can't really think of any collecting mania like that around any 3DS games during the life cycle. It just went largely unnoticed until the Switch dropped.

But I think @Tanookiis onto something about the timing of the pandemic. The last good 3DS lot I got was in April of 2020. It was a new 3DS XL w Pokemon gens 4 through 7 for $150. Granted they were all cart only and one for each gen including Black 2 but not the gen 3 remakes. 

Fast forward to August 2020 and I sold the new 3DS XL alone for $225 and couldn't find a 3DS lot on marketplace, at a yard sale or at a flea market. The flipper movement got so heavy that I think Tanooki is right that it kicked the trolls into over drive.

@RegularGuyGamer That's the last time more or less I think I got a bitchin deal on a 3DS lot too was maybe even around a month or few after yours, someone could look it up in that bloated finds thread.  Some lady had a basically kid used it twice situation with a New2DSXL in orange/white with a bunch of nice little games they lost the cases to largely, paid maybe $100 or something for it all and it had choice stuff like Monster Hunter Stories, Pokemon etc.  Pre-virus early 2020 maybe into 2019 was another which was as if not cheaper got a system(3D not 2D)SXL with a stack of boxed games too.

I could buy them now I see the stuff, but everyone thinks the hardware alone is valued at its old retail price or higher no matter the shape or completeness which is a laugh.  It's totally the virus, people were stuck, so they rammed the price up as they made for excellent distractions.  The 3DS era has a clarity of detail you'd get from the GC/Wii era but HD sharpness, so they don't feel old or dated so it is a modern gaming handheld until Switch came along.