IGNORED

The 3DS Thread

On 6/17/2022 at 12:24 PM, Reed Rothchild said:

And fyi @Makar since you brought it up,  I'll mention that this window just happens to close today:

Screenshot_20220617-102251.png

Appreciate the tip off on this. I just ordered a regular one and collectors edition. Looks like today is actually the last day to order

Editorials Team · Posted
26 minutes ago, Lynda Monica said:

I'm considering selling off my 3DS games. I've really enjoyed revisiting the Wii U, but revisiting the 3DS has been a bit more of a let down for me. Seems to be a good time to do it since people have started to gain interest in the 3DS again.

Might I recommend all of the games in my massive post I just dumped on us

I'm not selling them off just yet, but I'm considering it. There are a few games I'd be pretty sad to part with, and that's been keeping me from pulling the trigger on it. It's a good system with lots of games, but I'm frustrated with the system as I'm not even able to talk about the games I like for it without getting slammed for it.

I've tried to play some of the system's more popular games, and a lot of them just don't sit right with me. When I find a game that I think is cool and want to tell people about, I find out they were so reviled upon release that it's better to just not talk about them with anyone.

I find myself wondering if there's something I just don't get about the system's audience, as it seems any franchise that tried something new and interesting was considered bad, but whenever a series played it super safe and boring it got perfect reception.

There are a bunch of games I like for the system, but having nobody to talk about them with is frustrating to me.

Edit: Sorry for being so whiny. 😅

Edited by Lynda Monica

19 minutes ago, Lynda Monica said:

I'm not selling them off just yet, but I'm considering it. There are a few games I'd be pretty sad to part with, and that's been keeping me from pulling the trigger on it. It's a good system with lots of games, but I'm frustrated with the system as I'm not even able to talk about the games I like for it without getting slammed for it.

I've tried to play some of the system's more popular games, and a lot of them just don't sit right with me. When I find a game that I think is cool and want to tell people about, I find out they were so reviled upon release that it's better to just not talk about them with anyone.

I find myself wondering if there's something I just don't get about the system's audience, as it seems any franchise that tried something new and interesting was considered bad, but whenever a series played it super safe and boring it got perfect reception.

There are a bunch of games I like for the system, but having nobody to talk about them with is frustrating to me.

Edit: Sorry for being so whiny. 😅

Probably just the people you've been talking to. We have a variety of tastes here and I'd be shocked if you didn't find someone in this thread who didn't like a game you like. Why don't you lay out the games you like? They could end up being recommendations for others who haven't played them.

Personally I think the 3DS is my favourite Nintendo handheld after the GBA. There's a huge amount of variety on it. I've had one since the launch and there's always something to play on it.

10 minutes ago, Lynda Monica said:

I think I speak for several people here when I say you’re in a safe space here to voice your opinion. 

I’m genuinely curious to hear about what games you enjoy. If it weren’t for members talking about lots of games they love, I wouldn’t know about many of the DS and 3DS games in particular that I really like (Cave Story, Drone Tactics, Witch and Hero, Pocket Card Jockey, Digimon World DS, Retro Game Challenge, Tingles Rosy Rupeeland). 

1 minute ago, Reed Rothchild said:

...and ditto.  Someone on NA made that Drone Tactics thread.  And then fate put a copy for sale in front of me just several days later.  So I owe that to them.

Lol that was me. I love me some drone tactics. 

Best $2 I ever spent was on a used copy of drone tactics at a GameStop before it exploded and before I went on vacation. 

Edited by Makar
  • Like 1

Well, I'll put a little list of recommendations then.

Metroid Prime Federation Force: An absolutely kickin' portable FPS that has the guts to put forth an actual challenge. If you learn how to play it properly and just accept that it does something different from the series' norm, (which Nintendo handhelds have a history of doing anyway) you'll really like it! The game is perfectly playable by yourself, and I strongly urge you to not use the New 3DS thumbstick or the Samus amiibo as you play.

The Samus amiibo cheapens the strategic elements of the game as it provides you a ludicrously unfair amount of extra ammo, and the thumbstick is terrible for this game. The gyro motion controls are vastly superior in every way, and you should make sure to learn how to use them.

The last three missions prior to the final mission are pretty lackluster, but that was due to fan pressure during pre-release to add more stages to the game.

Give it a fair chance, and you'll probably respect it way more than you thought possible. As someone who didn't grow up with Metroid and has never felt the series needs to be a certain way, I think it's infinitely better than Samus Returns.

It's also not easy to come by anymore, with only a handful of Engligh copies being resold at any time.

Chibi-Robo! Zip Lash: Fans freaked out about this game as it changed pretty much everything about Chibi-Robo, but as someone who had the original and never cared for it, I think Zip Lash is a really wonderful sidescroller.

It's admittedly not a fast paced action game, and its mechanics could have been explored a lot more, but it's a really charming game that controls very well and has great sound design. It won't set anyone's world on fire, but the amount of hatred it gets for how endearing it is makes me wish people would give it another chance.

Yoshi's New Island: This is sort of the opposite where a series played it really safe, but got slammed for no real reason. I actually prefer it to the original Yoshi's Island, as it isn't so cruel about its collectables. I like a challenge, but not in a game about a smiling green dinosaur. Yoshi's Island on SNES could be really mean when going for 100%, but New Island tones things down to be more in tune with the series' demographic. It's not the greatest, but it's a really charming game with a really unreasonable amount of hate thrown at it.

Paper Mario Sticker Star: This one is the most frustrating, as the mere mention of liking this game sends people into a weird fury. While by no means perfect, I'm okay with this new direction for the series, since they'll never top Thousand Year Door. I feel like fans of some series just don't understand when a franchise needs to experiment due to achieving its peak. If they made three other Paper Mario games exactly like Thousand Year Door, people would still hate them for not being as good as Thousand Year Door.

Paper Mario Sticker Star is an odd game, but it's still very fun. It's more based on exploring and puzzle solving than combat, and while there is very little dialogue, I see that as a good thing since Paper Mario games tend to talk way too much.

Sticker Star is the exact kind of thing you'd expect a Nintendo series' first portable entry to be like, as its weird and experimental. I think it's great fun, and certainly not worth the level of hate it gets.

Miitopia: There's not as much hate for this one exactly, but people tend to tease you for liking it. It's not your typical RPG for sure, but in many ways its actually better, and it's certainly a lot of fun if you like designing Miis. It's still a very unloved first party Nintendo game, and you should really check it out. Just be prepared to spend a lot of time in Mii Maker.

Those are my favourite games for the system, so you can probably see why I get a lot of flak for my 3DS choices. The truth though is that all of these games are fantastic, but the popular opinion is so prevalent that fans of these games get shut down pretty hard. They're all worth playing though, so you should pick them up while people still hate them and they're cheap. 🙂

• Like 2

7 hours ago, Lynda Monica said:

Well, I'll put a little list of recommendations then.

Metroid Prime Federation Force: An absolutely kickin' portable FPS that has the guts to put forth an actual challenge. If you learn how to play it properly and just accept that it does something different from the series' norm, (which Nintendo handhelds have a history of doing anyway) you'll really like it! The game is perfectly playable by yourself, and I strongly urge you to not use the New 3DS thumbstick or the Samus amiibo as you play.

The Samus amiibo cheapens the strategic elements of the game as it provides you a ludicrously unfair amount of extra ammo, and the thumbstick is terrible for this game. The gyro motion controls are vastly superior in every way, and you should make sure to learn how to use them.

The last three missions prior to the final mission are pretty lackluster, but that was due to fan pressure during pre-release to add more stages to the game.

Give it a fair chance, and you'll probably respect it way more than you thought possible. As someone who didn't grow up with Metroid and has never felt the series needs to be a certain way, I think it's infinitely better than Samus Returns.

It's also not easy to come by anymore, with only a handful of Engligh copies being resold at any time.

Chibi-Robo! Zip Lash: Fans freaked out about this game as it changed pretty much everything about Chibi-Robo, but as someone who had the original and never cared for it, I think Zip Lash is a really wonderful sidescroller.

It's admittedly not a fast paced action game, and its mechanics could have been explored a lot more, but it's a really charming game that controls very well and has great sound design. It won't set anyone's world on fire, but the amount of hatred it gets for how endearing it is makes me wish people would give it another chance.

Yoshi's New Island: This is sort of the opposite where a series played it really safe, but got slammed for no real reason. I actually prefer it to the original Yoshi's Island, as it isn't so cruel about its collectables. I like a challenge, but not in a game about a smiling green dinosaur. Yoshi's Island on SNES could be really mean when going for 100%, but New Island tones things down to be more in tune with the series' demographic. It's not the greatest, but it's a really charming game with a really unreasonable amount of hate thrown at it.

Paper Mario Sticker Star: This one is the most frustrating, as the mere mention of liking this game sends people into a weird fury. While by no means perfect, I'm okay with this new direction for the series, since they'll never top Thousand Year Door. I feel like fans of some series just don't understand when a franchise needs to experiment due to achieving its peak. If they made three other Paper Mario games exactly like Thousand Year Door, people would still hate them for not being as good as Thousand Year Door.

Paper Mario Sticker Star is an odd game, but it's still very fun. It's more based on exploring and puzzle solving than combat, and while there is very little dialogue, I see that as a good thing since Paper Mario games tend to talk way too much.

Sticker Star is the exact kind of thing you'd expect a Nintendo series' first portable entry to be like, as its weird and experimental. I think it's great fun, and certainly not worth the level of hate it gets.

Miitopia: There's not as much hate for this one exactly, but people tend to tease you for liking it. It's not your typical RPG for sure, but in many ways its actually better, and it's certainly a lot of fun if you like designing Miis. It's still a very unloved first party Nintendo game, and you should really check it out. Just be prepared to spend a lot of time in Mii Maker.

Those are my favourite games for the system, so you can probably see why I get a lot of flak for my 3DS choices. The truth though is that all of these games are fantastic, but the popular opinion is so prevalent that fans of these games get shut down pretty hard. They're all worth playing though, so you should pick them up while people still hate them and they're cheap. 🙂

You ever play kid Icarus uprising? That one has some tough controls too like some of the games you mentioned. 

On 6/14/2022 at 3:09 AM, Reed Rothchild said:

I'd say there's about 200-250 notable DS titles that I'd like to own, and about 100 3DS. With the 3DS top 50 being stronger than the DS top 50.  So, depth versus strength at the top.

But I also think a lot of those DS games are pretty niche.  Dunno how many people out there are aiming to acquire Miami Law or Lost in Blue 3.  Or even know of them...

IMO this is the DS's strength over 3DS. It's a fantastic platform for "hidden gems" and such things. The 3DS has a good amount of variation in its library too, but it doesn't go as deep as the DS's amazing treasure trove.

I'm not sure I agree on the "top 50" part though, but that's of course subjective. The 3DS has some very strong games, but even going 50 deep I start struggling for really notable titles, and a lot of them are multiplatform, compared to DS's strong exclusive lineup. Across both platforms I'd say that by far most of my favourites are DS games.

• Agree 1

1 hour ago, Reed Rothchild said:

Yeah, I'd say 4 of the top 5 3DS games are indeed ports (Zeldas, Star Fox, DQ8), but for me it's also the preferred platform to play them on.

...and then I realize that I'm missing a bunch of DS titles in my list, including the Dragon Quests 🤣

Big RIP for you. Hopefully you aren’t missing the DS etrian odysseys too. 

Editorials Team · Posted
5 minutes ago, Makar said:

Big RIP for you. Hopefully you aren’t missing the DS etrian odysseys too. 

I meant missing from my post.  If I was missing the actual games I would die.  I'm the original owner of all of them and they're immaculate.

As for EO, only missing 3.  I have the rest.  I kept hoping it would get an "Untold" release.

1 hour ago, Reed Rothchild said:

I meant missing from my post.  If I was missing the actual games I would die.  I'm the original owner of all of them and they're immaculate.

As for EO, only missing 3.  I have the rest.  I kept hoping it would get an "Untold" release.

Lol yea it would suck having to track those down now. Of course you’re only missing the most expensive EO womp womp

19 minutes ago, Makar said:

Lol yea it would suck having to track those down now. Of course you’re only missing the most expensive EO womp womp

I bought Etrian III when it came out, and I had no idea it's so expensive now. A shame as it's a great game. I don't own it anymore, so I guess I'm not going to revisit the series physically any time soon. 😅

The third one added a lot of nice things, and it had my favourite character designs in the series too. If I were able to sew the way cosplayers do, I'd want costumes of pretty much every girl in the game. 😆

If we're talking original DS in this thread too, I highly recommend the first Bomberman Land Touch. It was a really sweet game, though the sequel wasn't as good. I feel like a lot of DS sequels tended to suffer.

Pokemon Ranger 2 and 3, Touch Detective 2 1/2, every Layton game after the first one, Bomberman Land Touch 2, Trauma Center 2, and so on. Maybe it was just the series I played on DS, but I had an aversion to sequels released on the same system after the DS.

Edited by Lynda Monica

23 minutes ago, Quack said:

Just started collecting for the 3DS and of course I start chasing Atlus games to start me off 😂 as well as the Yokai Watch series.  💸💸💸. Am I making a mistake, it seems to be a decent amount of titles run close to $100 or more.

Yes, unless Atlus produces your favorite series (which they might). I think you're going to be experiencing wallet fatigue pretty quickly. Start with what you'd want to play normally, then work your way outward.

After finally getting around to playing Etrian Odyssey 1 I fell in love with it right away, and immediately went out and ordered the second and third game as they were climbing in value and, unlike the first much cheaper game, they were import exclusives. 

Then pretty much the next god damn week, Atlus announces a value pack including *all three games*, each CIB bundled together, and indistinguishable from their original releases, available at a discount 😭

Good for everyone else, but such a waste of money for me. Given this re-release, I'm actually surprised that they've supposedly gone up again since then. *

That said, I still prefer the first game to the next two, with number 4 coming in second 🙂

*) Edit:  oh jesus holy shit

Edited by Sumez

1 hour ago, Lynda Monica said:

I bought Etrian III when it came out, and I had no idea it's so expensive now. A shame as it's a great game. I don't own it anymore, so I guess I'm not going to revisit the series physically any time soon. 😅

The third one added a lot of nice things, and it had my favourite character designs in the series too. If I were able to sew the way cosplayers do, I'd want costumes of pretty much every girl in the game. 😆

If we're talking original DS in this thread too, I highly recommend the first Bomberman Land Touch. It was a really sweet game, though the sequel wasn't as good. I feel like a lot of DS sequels tended to suffer.

Pokemon Ranger 2 and 3, Touch Detective 2 1/2, every Layton game after the first one, Bomberman Land Touch 2, Trauma Center 2, and so on. Maybe it was just the series I played on DS, but I had an aversion to sequels released on the same system after the DS.

I really liked Unwound Future perhaps even more than the first game. The other Layton sequels were pretty 'meh'. 

I've decided to hang on to my 3DS games, and I'm going to double down on the games that annoyed series fans. I've avoided certain games for a while since I've only heard bad things about them, but I'm realizing that those are the games I should be looking for to find games I like.

So the games I'll want to pick up include...

Kirby Battle Royale
Pokemon Sun
Zelda: Triforce Heroes
Animal Crossing Happy Home Designer (Which connects to the Wii U game, so I was going to want it regardless)
Hey! Pikmin
Fire Emblem Echoes: Shadows of Valentia
Kid Icarus Uprising (Which would be interesting as it'd challenge my own bias for the first two Kid Icarus games)