IGNORED

The 3DS Thread

On 6/6/2022 at 5:24 PM, greenthunder said:

So looks like the two last two new prints are by Limited Run Games for a game named Go! Go! Kokopolo and its sequel, which were apparently DSiware. I'm somewhat disappointed, mostly because I was hoping for a Harmoknight/Pocket Card Jockey dual pack.

I have been playing pocket card jockey nonstop for like a month now. It’s such an addicting game. Sad that it’s an eshop exclusive though. 

Ugh that's just wrong all kinds of wrong.  Pandemic did a number on people with greed and disgusting behavior and it still hasn't fallen off.  It's weird as when a system dies it's supposed to crater in value, not immediately skyrocket.  Stuff like that is why I haven't bought a new 3DS item in a long time and haven't been motivated to.  It has tempted me to locally just cash out as that kind of pricing isn't fun, it's a burden.

46 minutes ago, RegularGuyGamer said:

God damnit I should've bought this shit game when I saw it multiple times for $60 😑

That’s how I feel every time I look back on stuff I sold for dirt cheap years ago like selling a loose solatorobo for like $30 and a complete one for like $50 or so. I never picked up rhythm thief simply because I don’t like rhythm games and I never had the opportunity to buy one for a reasonable price years ago. 

• Agree 1

1 hour ago, greenthunder said:

I've always wondered who the people buying stuff like Rhythm Thief for $400 and random mid tier games for $100+ are. Full setters? People who really want to flex their money in stupid ways? I think Rhythm Thief is a pretty good game, but even $70+ would be stretching it.

No idea who they are but they might have always been around since years. This game was never cheap if I remember correctly and was always one of the more expensive 3DS games.

• Like 1

The issue with rhythm thief is that it was labeled a rare game early but it turned out to not really, actually be that rare just uncommon from poor sales or distribution. 

To me, is a classic scenario of googling rare 3ds games to speculate on the future price. 3ds in general I feel like has been over speculated during the pandemic just bc people saw what happened with mid term DS games and tired to keep the trend going.

Long story short, if I had Rhythm Thief I'd be selling it right now with the expectation of buying it back on a couple years for under $200

Edited by RegularGuyGamer

41 minutes ago, RegularGuyGamer said:

The issue with rhythm thief is that it was labeled a rare game early but it turned out to not really, actually be that rare just uncommon from poor sales or distribution. 

To me, is a classic scenario of googling rare 3ds games to speculate on the future price. 3ds in general I feel like has been over speculated during the pandemic just bc people saw what happened with mid term DS games and tired to keep the trend going.

Long story short, if I had Rhythm Thief I'd be selling it right now with the expectation of buying it back on a couple years for under $200

I like the gamble but I’m not sure I would take it. It took me at least 6 months to find one at a GameStop 3+ years ago when I was wrapping up the 3DS. Not sure this will take a 50% drop in a couple years. Flat or down 20-25% sure….. but hey I’m still waiting for Gameboy prices to come down since 2010 lol.

• Haha 1

5 hours ago, Mr. CIB said:

but hey I’m still waiting for Gameboy prices to come down since 2010 lol.

Lol That puts it into perspective. Maybe I just live in a good area for games since I've came across a number of rare™ Wii, DS and 3ds games while they were still in the current generation. 

And I'm also projecting bc I wanted to round out the full set one day and never expected prices to take off so quickly.

Edited by RegularGuyGamer
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, 360collector said:

All it takes is one idiot to buy high and then all the sellers up the price. Rhytm Thief always was uncommon and its a great game no surprise it exploded

Got that right, and it's a local issue now as much as it was online.  They either will reflect the greedy sod from the internet, or they'll see someone find a local idiot and think they can get as nicely paid too which is equally aggravating.

I have a slow good stream of 3DS game I could buy locally between half price and a couple other places I know of, but the toxicity of it all I haven't bought a game since the dumb virus I think.  50/50 potential regret mixed with my kid who likes her 2DS I keep the few things I have but man I've been supremely tempted to trade for some key 16bit games or just taking the 50-60% cash value I can get locally as it'll be more than I had in it anyway. 😄  I just don't like at all how things have gone on a system, considering its age, should be in the gutter historically like every system preceding it, so now it's just not a good thing to try getting at all if you want some of the better things.  I know I can't be alone in this thinking.

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, Tanooki said:

Got that right, and it's a local issue now as much as it was online.  They either will reflect the greedy sod from the internet, or they'll see someone find a local idiot and think they can get as nicely paid too which is equally aggravating.

I have a slow good stream of 3DS game I could buy locally between half price and a couple other places I know of, but the toxicity of it all I haven't bought a game since the dumb virus I think.  50/50 potential regret mixed with my kid who likes her 2DS I keep the few things I have but man I've been supremely tempted to trade for some key 16bit games or just taking the 50-60% cash value I can get locally as it'll be more than I had in it anyway. 😄  I just don't like at all how things have gone on a system, considering its age, should be in the gutter historically like every system preceding it, so now it's just not a good thing to try getting at all if you want some of the better things.  I know I can't be alone in this thinking.

You’re not. There are a few 3DS games I’m missing that I may just have to accept I won’t get. The only way I’ve managed to find anything for a fair or cheap price over the past 2 years is from people at work who every now and then put their games up for sale but mostly it’s DS or wii or GameCube stuff. No one is really selling 3DS stuff at work. So the roundabout way is buying good deals, then trading that for stuff you actually want or selling it then buying what you want with the profit you make. 

• Agree 1

19 minutes ago, stephbm6 said:

Do you guys think the 3DS will cool off after they close down the e-store or will it stay the same or go up more?

Probably stay the same or go up. I’d like to think it’d go down but nothing about the prices make sense so that makes me think they’ll continue to be bonkers. 

3 hours ago, Makar said:

You’re not. There are a few 3DS games I’m missing that I may just have to accept I won’t get. The only way I’ve managed to find anything for a fair or cheap price over the past 2 years is from people at work who every now and then put their games up for sale but mostly it’s DS or wii or GameCube stuff. No one is really selling 3DS stuff at work. So the roundabout way is buying good deals, then trading that for stuff you actually want or selling it then buying what you want with the profit you make. 

That would be nice, as big as my corporate office is or the mail trail around the country may be, there oddly is no inter-company rehoming of second hand goods as that would probably help.  All I can do now is ebay(argh), facebook marketplace (thin and mostly ebay greedy), or local retail which can either be a bit under ebay or just average to worse and subject to what rolls in.  And in recent last couple of years, that dried up as people want to sell it themselves to max it out.  Had the tax law not changed on snitchery I'd do what I used to, local/online buy bundles to get what I want and dump the rest to break even or make 10-20% on it for my troubles but that's shot to hell now.  I have to re-think it all these days unless that's corrected, which I know congress is trying on 3 known bills, but I'm not holding my breath that gets out of committee to a floor vote. 😞

I'm curious(but not enough to do it) what an unmarked rarely used New2DS XL black/turquoise CIB is worth, along with ace combat+, code of princess bundle, kid icarus(complete box/stand), kirby robobot, zelda oot3d, pinball hall of fame, pokemon ultrasun, star fox, mario 3d land, and theaterhythm ffcc would net me in the end if it's worth my bother or just leave it shelved.  Whatever it is worth I'd sell it locally probably to that resell shop that would pay 50-60% of its value, again, no ebay.

I've bought more Atari 400/800 games CIB at yard sales over the past two years then I have 3DS games. The last time I got a 3DS lot was April 21 and it didn't yield any new additions to the collection. I've added more to any DS library which is a whopping 40 games. 

Even my local game stores have abysmal 3ds selection. I'm disgruntled at this point. I thought the set was not only achievable but going to do something I could've done rather passively over the course of a couple years. I went from adding 50-80 games every summer to 5-10. Unreal. 

Some of it I blame on Facebook market place taking off and it is something I just don't use. Also I think the Switch success had really put the 3ds in the spot light. Switch kind of legitimized handheld gaming and there was an absolute surge of people who realized they missed out on an entire generation good, playable, games on the 3ds, and DS for that matter. 

1 hour ago, RegularGuyGamer said:

I've bought more Atari 400/800 games CIB at yard sales over the past two years then I have 3DS games. The last time I got a 3DS lot was April 21 and it didn't yield any new additions to the collection. I've added more to any DS library which is a whopping 40 games. 

Even my local game stores have abysmal 3ds selection. I'm disgruntled at this point. I thought the set was not only achievable but going to do something I could've done rather passively over the course of a couple years. I went from adding 50-80 games every summer to 5-10. Unreal. 

Some of it I blame on Facebook market place taking off and it is something I just don't use. Also I think the Switch success had really put the 3ds in the spot light. Switch kind of legitimized handheld gaming and there was an absolute surge of people who realized they missed out on an entire generation good, playable, games on the 3ds, and DS for that matter. 

What’s weird is the 3DS’ library isn’t as good as the DS’ so you’d think people would be ditching 3DS games more than they’re ditching DS games, plus 3DS is a newer generation so in theory those games should be more plentiful but like you said there is no good 3DS selection anywhere in person. My local game stores are the same way. Little to no 3DS games and what they do have is shovelware. I’m glad I scooped up DQVII and DQVIII a couple years ago for like $20 and $30. Those were the last solid titles that store had. 

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Makar said:

What’s weird is the 3DS’ library isn’t as good as the DS’ so you’d think people would be ditching 3DS games more than they’re ditching DS games, plus 3DS is a newer generation so in theory those games should be more plentiful but like you said there is no good 3DS selection anywhere in person. My local game stores are the same way. Little to no 3DS games and what they do have is shovelware. I’m glad I scooped up DQVII and DQVIII a couple years ago for like $20 and $30. Those were the last solid titles that store had. 

Yeah it sucks that 3ds never went that route that most of us expected. we should be rolling in 3ds deals at this point. Stores always had a very limited 3ds selection here. Sure they had Mario games but anything out of the common stuff forget it, all online or someone traded in to gamestop if your very lucky. To be fair some gamestops would get 1 or 2 copies of a weird game on rare occasion. I just bought Detective Pikachu online, full price still(40), I dont wanna risk waiting anymore cause boom suddenly its r@re and 100 bucks

Editorials Team · Posted
12 minutes ago, Makar said:

What’s weird is the 3DS’ library isn’t as good as the DS’ so you’d think people would be ditching 3DS games more than they’re ditching DS games

Debatable.  Plus it could be that there is just so much sheer junk on the DS that it's scared off people from doing a full set.  3DS is a long more tantalizing in that regard.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Reed Rothchild said:

Debatable.  Plus it could be that there is just so much sheer junk on the DS that it's scared off people from doing a full set.  3DS is a long more tantalizing in that regard.

Yea that’s true. Idk how many full setters there really are though for any library. I can think of 50+ solid DS titles and maybe 20+ 3DS ones. But maybe there are more 3DS ones I’m not thinking of