IGNORED

What's a game you want to buy, but every time you think to go look for it, it's now to expensive for your preference?

I don't think this has been a community question but I'm curious if there are games that some of you have that always seem to be just out of reach or cost a bit more than you want to spend on it.  Even with time, if it eats at you and you're willing to pay a bit more than you were willing 6 months to a year earlier, but now when you check again, it's gone up in price and still more than you're willing to pay or simply out of your price range.

For me there are two titles.  Chibi-Robo.  I've wanted to go and buy that one multiple times over the years.  At first, it was just a game I'd heard about on NPR and it sounded interesting.  I put it on my back log of titles to eventually get too.  A couple of years ago I thought I'd hunt it down and it was an ok price, but more than I wanted for a Gamecube game, and this was before the insanity of GC collecting hit.  Well, the GC collector insanity did happen and for the past couple of years, every time I've considered to go and get this game and just get it out of the back of my mind, it's gone up $20-50 bucks and it's just not worth it for that price.  Last time I tried, I think I put in what I felt was a fair bid on a mint copy at $175 and the auction went for something like $210!  I've since looked at it again, but it's still out of my preferred range.  I don't even know if I'll like the game.

And then there is Gun-Nac. I can enjoy a good shmup and this one caught my eye from a longplay I'd stumbled on years ago.  It looks like a really, really good and fun NES shooter but it's expensive.  For a long time it was in the $250 price range which was a lot higher than what I wanted to pay for an NES game that I had no childhood attachment to it.  Well, I decided to get serious about NES collecting about 18 or so months ago, and prices were rising a little and then they took off.  I still really, really want this game but I don't see myself wanting to pay more than $350 for a cartridge.  $500 is ridiculous, which is what it's is on eBay.

So do you guys have any games you casually want to get, but every time you look them up, their price is just out of reach?

• Like 2

I dealt with it due to bad luck and circumstance off and on for over a decade.  Gameboy game from Japan that rarely turns up on ebay outside of Japan if ever, and whenever it does on either, they're gougy prices well over its paid value so stuff sits and rots for years on there with the seller getting free listings not willing to budge.  That would be the Miracle Adventure of Esparks, a really fun platforming hack/slash game.  I ended up getting it because I bought a lot of games for another title even worse to find (Money Idol Exchanger, neo geo arcade port) that showed up on yahoo japan auctions so I was blown away when I won it and got both.

Another, Konami GB Collection Vol 4 shows up after like 2-3 years of looking up on ebay.  If it did show up some jerk wanted like nearly $200 or more, like it's some golden child release of the series given they all came out the same time at stores as a UK/EU/PAL regions release.  Eventually I bumped into an aussie on ebay, he was happy to let it go for like 1/2 the going rate as he thought it was dumb too, so we were both happy. 🙂

Yes I can be that patient when I refuse to eat it, it's not food and water after all.

• Like 2

It’s not as expensive as some games, but I’d like to have that Hey You, Pikachu game for the N64. The game is cheap locally, about $15. It’s the mic and all that you need to play it that are expensive. I’ve seen the two bundled locally for $80. I’m gonna pass, unless a miracle drops the price.

• Like 1

Too many titles. 

Darkwing Duck on NES. Should have pulled the trigger at $35 😔

Megaman on GG. $60 was too much

PSP:

Metal Slug XX. Passed on it at $40😵

So many sub $20 rpgs, now have gone up to $80+🤯

Phantasy Star Portable 2. Just kept watching this one creep up. 🤔

PS1:

Again, so many sub $20 rpgs, now have gone up🤮

Ds:

Dragon Quest V.  If someone has a loose copy, I have a loose IV I’ll trade.

A local seller was selling all Dragons Quests on DS+3DS as a lot, some sealed for $200. Like a dumb@** I tried haggling and let it hang for 2 weeks it was sold to someone else. 🤬🤬🤬 

Alien Infestation. I passed up a sealed copy for $35, didn’t have time to meet the seller. Figured I’d just pick this one up later.🤬

Megaman Star Force series. Nobody wants these games.. I’ll just get them after I knock out a bunch of games that everyone wants 🤬

Gamecube:

Chaos Field. 

Smash

Luigis Mansion. Passed on a $20 copy because the art was a little faded.. regret that now

Pikmin 2. Passed on a $40

Mariokart Double Dash. Passed on a $20 Mint copy. I’m stupid🥵

Starfox Assault. Passed on so many good copies for $20 what was I thinking 

Wii/U

Rune Factory Frontier 

Game and Wario. Passed on a sealed for $20 didn’t have time to go meet seller.🤬

Edited by phart010
  • Like 3

Bubble Bobble Part 2 for NES. I bought It on eBay in 2016 and the seller didn't bother shipping it. Luckily, I got my money back...but I really wanted it.

Oh well, I have CIB copies of the first Bubble Bubble and Rainbow Islands for NES as well as the Apple II version of Bubble Bobble. I also got the Bubble Bobble 4 collector's edition package for Switch last year, so I can handle waiting a while longer for Bubble Bobble Part 2.

Edited by MegaMan52
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, RH said:

I don't think this has been a community question but I'm curious if there are games that some of you have that always seem to be just out of reach or cost a bit more than you want to spend on it.  Even with time, if it eats at you and you're willing to pay a bit more than you were willing 6 months to a year earlier, but now when you check again, it's gone up in price and still more than you're willing to pay or simply out of your price range.

For me there are two titles.  Chibi-Robo.  I've wanted to go and buy that one multiple times over the years.  At first, it was just a game I'd heard about on NPR and it sounded interesting.  I put it on my back log of titles to eventually get too.  A couple of years ago I thought I'd hunt it down and it was an ok price, but more than I wanted for a Gamecube game, and this was before the insanity of GC collecting hit.  Well, the GC collector insanity did happen and for the past couple of years, every time I've considered to go and get this game and just get it out of the back of my mind, it's gone up $20-50 bucks and it's just not worth it for that price.  Last time I tried, I think I put in what I felt was a fair bid on a mint copy at $175 and the auction went for something like $210!  I've since looked at it again, but it's still out of my preferred range.  I don't even know if I'll like the game.

And then there is Gun-Nac. I can enjoy a good shmup and this one caught my eye from a longplay I'd stumbled on years ago.  It looks like a really, really good and fun NES shooter but it's expensive.  For a long time it was in the $250 price range which was a lot higher than what I wanted to pay for an NES game that I had no childhood attachment to it.  Well, I decided to get serious about NES collecting about 18 or so months ago, and prices were rising a little and then they took off.  I still really, really want this game but I don't see myself wanting to pay more than $350 for a cartridge.  $500 is ridiculous, which is what it's is on eBay.

So do you guys have any games you casually want to get, but every time you look them up, their price is just out of reach?

It's funny you mentioned Gun-Nac, I was watching it for awhile and finally pulled the trigger on a CIB (it's like one of the 5 or so CIBs I have) and then prices shot through the roof. Unfortunately of the ~20ish games I have left for the loose NES set all of them are rarer and prices are continually going up. Games like Frankenstein and Last Action Hero are going nuts and I don't even want to talk about Power Blade 2 or Panic Restaurant. 

Edited by a3quit4s
  • Like 1

Clay Fighter SC. I owned a cart and box about 8 years ago and sold the two together for a measly $550. At the time, it was a fairly high price……..

Cart and Box is probably going for around $4,000 (estimate) today. At this point, my N64 CIB collection won’t be complete as the prices for SC are waayyyyyy too high. I remember thinking $1000 for the manual was too high when people were asking that price back then. I believe a cart and manual set just sold for around $5,000 on eBay. I could kick myself for selling my copy…..

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

48 minutes ago, Generic said:

Clay Fighter SC. I owned a cart and box about 8 years ago and sold the two together for a measly $550. At the time, it was a fairly high price……..

Cart and Box is probably going for around $4,000 (estimate) today. At this point, my N64 CIB collection won’t be complete as the prices for SC are waayyyyyy too high. I remember thinking $1000 for the manual was too high when people were asking that price back then. I believe a cart and manual set just sold for around $5,000 on eBay. I could kick myself for selling my copy…..

I remember when SC came out.  I remember telling my friend I wanted to pick up a copy once it was no longer new and hold onto it for the future.  I never did though, and that sucks.  I was always a collector, even back then.  No doubt I would have bought a copy had I seen one in the used game bin.  Oh well.  Live and learn.

• Like 2

I recently pulled the trigger on 2 that I’ve wanted forever.  Upgraded my Dragon Warriors 3 & 4 to CIB so I have them all complete.  Saw the right condition copies at the right price and said screw it and kicked off another summer of selling of PS1 games to make it happen.  

Friggin Castlevania‘s killing me right now. Oh why didn’t I buy it when it was sub $100.  TMNT2 too.  I watched that one drift up there while waiting for my deal.  Ugh.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, RH said:

Totally agree on that one.  Both Gun Nac and Cowboy Kid were around $60, I couldn't justify buying them both at the time.  Should have bit on the bullet back then.  At least I got Cowboy Kid though. 🤠

• Like 2

Administrator · Posted

For me, it is definitely Cubivore for Gamecube.  I've been wanting that game for years, and even had a few opportunities to buy it at a somewhat decent price at the time, but still passed thinking 'ugh...too expensive.'  But it just gets worse and worse and worse.  

I feel like I just need to bite the bullet at some point, but then now I know the market is insane and maybe I should wait for it to cool off.  Course, every time I say that in the past, it just gets worse, ha!

One day I'll have my Cubivore!   maybe..

• Like 4

Wow didn't notice Gun Nac shot up so much in just the past few months. In February this year I got it as part of a lot. I sold most of what I didn't need to get my money back so it was effectively free. I'm pretty sure the game was hovering around $200 then.

• Like 1

Put me on the long list for gun nac. It always slid down the list of similarly priced games because I dont put enough time into shooters. I also got a cowboy kid over that at some point. 

Zombie Nation is the other big one for me. Watched them forever and it was always just a little more than I wanted to pay. Should have pulled the trigger on one day 1 of a convention. Went to buy it day 2 just in time to see someone else walking away with it. 

Edited by NESfiend
  • Like 1

basically all the n64/snes games from my childhood. i ended up only grabbing a few CIB N64 games. also managed to get sealed copies of f-zero and gauntlet legends because there's so many sealed cases all over the place lol

otherwise, i generally haven't dipped in to buy games... just too expensive. my price memory comes from mid-2015 where everything was way cheaper. $30 for a cib golden sun lmao

• Like 1

My #1 is Dragon Quest I.II for the Game Boy Color. I paid a bit above the $200 range to get a new/unused copy. In the past I paid around $40 for a like-new copy at Mandarake's Galaxy branch in Nakano Broadway.

My #2 is Dragon Quest Heroes I∙II for the Nintendo Switch. After shipping and sales tax I paid a smidgeon below the $190 range. What softened this blow was the fact I sold 60% of my collection for an order that I ended up cancelling.

The remaining games I wanted are too hard to find in new/unused condition. And what stings is basically the fact that I had a 50% chance of getting the rare "First purchase" variant of Heroes, but ended up not getting it because I was buyer #2.

• Like 1

There are a lot of games from the PS2 or PSP that I had on my want list only to see prices go up quickly and drastically. The ones that come to mind are:

Eternal Poison

Xenosaga I have wanted all 3, but the price on III is the one that really stings

Shin Megami Tensei: Persona

Hexyz Force 

Kenka Bancho

• Like 1

Loose Stadium Events, lol. I know it's a default answer for most NES cart collectors, but it's a game I would pay $1000s for. Since the high end world is all about conditional rarity and popular franchises, I'm not keen on spending 20 grand for a loose cart of questionable significance compared to other significant games that might go up in price. A CIB Papillon Gals has been on Ebay for months (years?) with no buyers. Gonna need someone to maybe correct me, that's much rarer than SE, Myriad, or Panesians right? In terms of opportunistic FOMO buying, I'd probably do better off buying mint, common Pokemon and Mario games I don't have than something that only has rarity going for it. I do want to be in the loosie SE club, it's just the wrong time to buy.

I was looking for a real nice CIB Bucky o Hare when it was in the $400 range, then it went into a drought for a long time and the next ones that came up started going for like $900, and who knows what they're at now. Cool game, but not worth a grand to me. Still weird to me living in a world where "normal" video games are just casually $1000 now, not the highest of the high end stuff.

• Like 3

Administrator · Posted
3 hours ago, BreaKBeatZ said:

There are a lot of games from the PS2 or PSP that I had on my want list only to see prices go up quickly and drastically. The ones that come to mind are:

Eternal Poison

Xenosaga I have wanted all 3, but the price on III is the one that really stings

Shin Megami Tensei: Persona

Hexyz Force 

Kenka Bancho

What sort of prices would you be currently happy with paying on these? Like what amounts would you see them and think wow, that's a pretty good deal, I want to nab! hah

59 minutes ago, spacepup said:

What sort of prices would you be currently happy with paying on these? Like what amounts would you see them and think wow, that's a pretty good deal, I want to nab! hah

That's a complicated question, because if I'm getting a 50% discount on a game, I would always buy it since I could turn around and sell it for a profit (either right away, or probably down the line assuming prices don't crash). It looks like Hexyz Force sells for around $300, so I would buy it for $150. But if its market value was $150, I wouldn't pay that amount for it.

• Like 2