IGNORED

What's a game you want to buy, but every time you think to go look for it, it's now to expensive for your preference?

You know after having seeing it sit and sit and sit at the half price books locally it made me realize I've passively been since before the lame virus wanting to get Gamecube Fire Emblem in my hands once more ever since I found the guide cheap locally which sits on my shelf...taunting me.  The stupid store wants $300 for it... HELL NO.  I'm not even a fan of it, but I want to learn to like it, but I'm not going to learn I can't like it with that much dropped on a game.   Blah.

• Like 1

I currently have Shadow Dragon (DS) and the guide for it, other than that the original Nintendo released for a limited time in english on their shop, since it was going away I snapped it up.  And I do have another, but also permadeath, 3ds ambassador fire emblem on that set of 10.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

The remaining Dreamcast games I need.  Nothing super pricey left just hard to justify cost on the shovelware titles I'm missing.  I'm not thrilled about paying up $50 plus shipping each for Donald Duck, NBA Hoopz, South Park Rally, etc.  

Edited by LutherDestroysTheGond
  • Like 1

On 6/28/2021 at 7:33 PM, Tanooki said:

You know after having seeing it sit and sit and sit at the half price books locally it made me realize I've passively been since before the lame virus wanting to get Gamecube Fire Emblem in my hands once more ever since I found the guide cheap locally which sits on my shelf...taunting me.  The stupid store wants $300 for it... HELL NO.  I'm not even a fan of it, but I want to learn to like it, but I'm not going to learn I can't like it with that much dropped on a game.   Blah.

This is one that could really do with a re-release, but unfortunately Nintendo hates money.

• Haha 1

On 6/9/2021 at 9:31 PM, Hammerfestus said:

I recently pulled the trigger on 2 that I’ve wanted forever.  Upgraded my Dragon Warriors 3 & 4 to CIB so I have them all complete.  Saw the right condition copies at the right price and said screw it and kicked off another summer of selling of PS1 games to make it happen.  

Friggin Castlevania‘s killing me right now. Oh why didn’t I buy it when it was sub $100.  TMNT2 too.  I watched that one drift up there while waiting for my deal.  Ugh.

I’ve completed both Castlevania and TMNT2 for a good price this summer.  I was also after a copy of Kung Fu forever and after watching that price drift up and up I just snagged a solid condition one.  Currently fawning over copies of Zelda 2.

Edited by Hammerfestus
  • Like 2

On 8/22/2021 at 9:35 PM, attakid101 said:

Seems I was priced out on a few Saturn titles overnight. But I can never trust Saturn prices to be consistent. I feel like the Saturn market jumps around more than other consoles.

I think people are constantly leaving and entering the Saturn collectors market. If at any given time more are leaving than entering, then prices go down.

My guess of the problem with Saturn collecting is some discs are beginning to decompose. I think this discourages some people, they may want to sell their games off while they are still working. Meanwhile other collectors see a high value game that they’ve been dying to get for 20-30% off and they dive deeper.

I have a few Saturn games, but I have no real interest in buying anything for this system really. I may just go for one of those Terraonion optical drive emulators for Saturn.

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, phart010 said:

I think people are constantly leaving and entering the Saturn collectors market. If at any given time more are leaving than entering, then prices go down.

My guess of the problem with Saturn collecting is some discs are beginning to decompose. I think this discourages some people, they may want to sell their games off while they are still working. Meanwhile other collectors see a high value game that they’ve been dying to get for 20-30% off and they dive deeper.

I have a few Saturn games, but I have no real interest in buying anything for this system really. I may just go for one of those Terraonion optical drive emulators for Saturn.

Would you assume that Saturn games are more likely to experience bit rot then other games? Sega CD, PlayStation, Dreamcast, GameCube?

• Like 1

5 hours ago, ICrappedMyPants said:

I’ve wanted Little Samson for several years. It looks fun and I really like the art style. I can’t justify paying that much for a single cart that isn’t something special to me. Oh well.

Same here. I have a thing for misprints/errors, HTF, oddities, etc. So many loose carts were affordable last year, are out of my price range this year. Eventually all loose carts will rise to astronomical prices. As it always comes down to price vs demand or inflation. Not all buyers are high rollers and whales.

I know I will never own these but one can have hope: Pepsi Invaders Atari 2600 (125 approx), Donkey Kong Country Competition SNES (2,000 approx), Blockbuster World Video Game Championships II '95 SEGA (10 approx), StarFox Weekend Not for Resale Competition SNES (2,000 approx).

• Like 2

1 hour ago, attakid101 said:

Would you assume that Saturn games are more likely to experience bit rot then other games? Sega CD, PlayStation, Dreamcast, GameCube?

I don’t know for sure, but this seems this seem to be the general idea that a lot of people have. I personally think it may be that Saturn discs are not manufactured to the same standard of robustness as other consoles, but that’s not to say they are all actively rotting. 

Probably takes a combination of factors like higher temperatures, humidity, sunlight, etc that ultimately pushes Saturn discs over the edge. These factors will eventually degrade all discs regardless of the console, but Saturn discs probably degrade  a bit easier than the others. They can still be preserved if you store them properly though.

You’d do best to actually ask someone who owns a ton of Saturn discs and knows firsthand. Ask them about the rate of disc failures they have seen. I’m just going off of what I have seen people saying frequently.

• Like 2

31 minutes ago, phart010 said:

I don’t know for sure, but this seems this seem to be the general idea that a lot of people have. I personally think it may be that Saturn discs are not manufactured to the same standard of robustness as other consoles, but that’s not to say they are all actively rotting. 

Probably takes a combination of factors like higher temperatures, humidity, sunlight, etc that ultimately pushes Saturn discs over the edge. These factors will eventually degrade all discs regardless of the console, but Saturn discs probably degrade  a bit easier than the others. They can still be preserved if you store them properly though.

You’d do best to actually ask someone who owns a ton of Saturn discs and knows firsthand. Ask them about the rate of disc failures they have seen. I’m just going off of what I have seen people saying frequently.

I have roughly 80 Japanese Saturn games and I haven't noticed anything. They always boot up and don't appear to show any wearing. I try to keep them at the right temperature though and always in their cases.

Although I will admit that disc rot is a concern of mine and I will say that I think the Playstation discs look way better made than the Saturn games. I would bet Saturn goes first before Playstation.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

16 hours ago, LutherDestroysTheGond said:

The remaining Dreamcast games I need.  Nothing super pricey left just hard to justify cost on the shovelware titles I'm missing.  I'm not thrilled about paying up $50 plus shipping each for Donald Duck, NBA Hoopz, South Park Rally, etc.  

This almost happened to me with the remaining 5-10 Game Boy games I had. I think three of the heavy hitters I had on that list were Dark Man, Shaq Fu and Toxic Crusader.

All of those have gone up further in value but I think I paid about $100 for Toxic Crusader. That felt insane but I really wanted to finish the job, and it was the first I'd seen in a while so.I just forked out the cash. I don't intend to bust up the set, but I'm glad to see that it's one that's skyrocketed to the top of the list as one of the most expensive games. Makes my $100 purchase for a nice copy feel like a steal today.

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, RH said:

This almost happened to me with the remaining 5-10 Game Boy games I had. I think three of the heavy hitters I had on that list were Dark Man, Shaq Fu and Toxic Crusader.

All of those have gone up further in value but I think I paid about $100 for Toxic Crusader. That felt insane but I really wanted to finish the job, and it was the first I'd seen in a while so.I just forked out the cash. I don't intend to bust up the set, but I'm glad to see that it's one that's skyrocketed to the top of the list as one of the most expensive games. Makes my $100 purchase for a nice copy feel like a steal today.

Gameboy is on my short list of libraries I want to complete after Dreamcast.  Now I see what some games go for now just turns me off.  There are the 2 potato games, Toxic Crusader, etc for crazy expensive but now there is also a ton of games in the $40-$90 range that make the whole library get expensive really quickly.  And most of worthwile titles are at least $20 when they used to be like $5.  

I casually collected Gameboy for a long time so I already have most of what I want to play.  Now I'm just really thinking hard about if I want to even bother with the set.  

Vita, Wii U, and Turbografx are also on my full set lists but each set gets more and more unlikely.  I'm settling on just riding out the price hikes and scooping up games once they all drop again to finish DC and Gameboy.  At least Wii U is cheap enough for most of the library to still be fun to collect!

• Like 1

9 hours ago, RH said:

Agreed, the brand new conditions are on fire 🔥.