IGNORED

The Switch Thread

20 minutes ago, Skorp said:

Guess there is just a way too huge supply of them. I mean they are just everywhere I go. Definitely one of the only games I regret paying full price. Yeah, I preordered it.

I bought it for $22 a while back when it was on sale at Target after having missed a deal at Best Buy to get it for $20. Felt pretty smart, ha!

I gave Starlink the college try. It's OK. It's not great. The Arwing toy is the best part of it all. 

Ubisoft was printing money back in the day with Skylanders. They couldn't print enough of those. Then they did the deal with Nintendo bringing Bowser and Donkey Kong in and that was probably even more profitable. For a while people were buying Superchargers on both Wii and Wii U just to get the Bowser and DK Amiibo toys. 

Someone at Ubisoft predicted that this would be equally successful and commissioned a ton of copies to meet the expected demand. Unfortunately people don't like sci-fi nearly as much as they love fantasy even despite the success of a few franchises like Star Wars. Starlink isn't as fun or engaging as a bunch of dumb crazy monsters (Skylanders). The toys are probably all meh to the average person. I've only heard of a few people that collected Starlink toys and they are probably the kind of person who would rather go to Kennedy Space Center than Disney World (I know because I used to be that kid). The gameplay in Starlink is also niche -- even No Man's Sky being the most popular game in this genre is very niche itself and not something that appeals to kids. Making a Toys to Life game that doesn't appeal to kids was a huge mistake. 

I remember hearing that Ubisoft wrote down a huge loss on Starlink. They probably won't do Toys to Life ever again. I think Amiibo is the last surviving Toys to Life franchise. I'm sure the retailers are all furious about being left with so much unsold inventory, just like they were probably furious with all the Animal Crossing Amiibo Nintendo printed. I will not be surprised if Starlink starter sets show up at Five Below eventually. 

Edited by MiamiSlice

Subscriber T1 · Posted
2 hours ago, D~Funk said:

I assume most people have probably snagged this for cheap already but saw this yesterday. Pretty sweet deal. Poor Starlink 😓 Games actually pretty fun. 

Edit: deal available online as well: https://www.bestbuy.com/site/starlink-battle-for-atlas-starter-pack-featuring-star-fox-nintendo-switch/6260477.p?skuId=6260477

57313.jpeg

I couldn't resist. $7.99 with GCU and free shipping.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

47 minutes ago, Skorp said:

Guess there is just a way too huge supply of them. I mean they are just everywhere I go. Definitely one of the only games I regret paying full price. Yeah, I preordered it.

Samesies! 😓 Paid full price as well. Never thought it would have bombed the way it did. I remember at the time there was only 1 left at gamestop so i went out of my way to go get it and slapped down the $79.99 or whatever it was. I figured at the time the Starter bundle was gonna sell out and be replaced with a standard edition or somethin. I had fun with it but was a bummer to see it start to hit the bargain bins. Good for people who hadn't picked it up yet. Slap in the face for people like us who paid full price. Oh well.

6 minutes ago, D~Funk said:

Samesies! 😓 Paid full price as well. Never thought it would have bombed the way it did. I remember at the time there was only 1 left at gamestop so i went out of my way to go get it and slapped down the $79.99 or whatever it was. I figured at the time the Starter bundle was gonna sell out and be replaced with a standard edition or somethin. I had fun with it but was a bummer to see it start to hit the bargain bins. Good for people who hadn't picked it up yet. Slap in the face for people like us who paid full price. Oh well.

Now you guys know how us PS Classic day 1 adopters feel 🙂

With that being said, I really want this @$10

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Skorp said:

15 minutes ago, D~Funk said:

I bought a 2nd one for the boy, I mean shit $10 is worth it for the game and a bonus "toy".  I have almost the full set myself except that 1 exclusive pilot from ubisoft that I knew nothing about at the time but bought pretty much all of it well under retail at the time, like $8 per ship, $5 per pilot and seems $3 or $4 for the weapon sets each, and I bought 2 of the starter kits one for Switch and one for PS4 and I think those 2 were $30 ea, can't quite remember the specifics but I know it around a black Friday sale either last year or the year before.  

• Like 1

I got Star link awhile back when it hit 15-20 range and it was fun for like 10hrs or so but when I saw how large it was and how repetitive each planet was I sold it.  I kind of a little wish I kept the fun arwing and Fox but that’s it. The detail on those is far nicer than other SF toys. 

Is there a frequently updated, master list of Switch games with release dates and publisher details?  I know the second post in this thread is pretty close but it doesn't seem to be updated in a while.  Well, I couldn't find Baldur's Gate (which I just learned about 5 minutes ago) so I assume it's not updated.

If you want @Reed Rothchild you can post that link I posted for RH in the OP so everyone can see it, at least until you get a chance to edit your post.  The list of games should be complete and up to date as of a few days ago, though I'm still working on finding some box codes and barcodes

On 12/9/2019 at 11:16 AM, D~Funk said:

I assume most people have probably snagged this for cheap already but saw this yesterday. Pretty sweet deal. Poor Starlink 😓 Games actually pretty fun. 

Edit: deal available online as well: https://www.bestbuy.com/site/starlink-battle-for-atlas-starter-pack-featuring-star-fox-nintendo-switch/6260477.p?skuId=6260477

That deal is dead and this deal isn't switch, but I saw the PS4 big box bundle is on sale somewhere at $5 (shipped I believe?) today:

https://www.newegg.com/ubisoft-starlink-battle-for-atlas-starter-pack-playstation-4/p/N82E16879807028

Seems like everyone wants to have their own size of box and all that when it comes to special stuff.  I found a second hand copy of Axiom Verge Multiverse Edition locally yesterday and that one comes in a black cardboard box that's neither the size of anything I see in that picture above.  I basically popped the game/case out and stuffed the box to the side on the same shelf.

Finally got around to jumping in on the Switch ride. Glad to have picked one up, took my wife trying out Overcooked 2 at her brother's house to get on board and actively want to buy one. 

Picked up Yoshi's craft world (we loved Woolley world, but so far I'm finding this one a little meh comparatively) and of course Smash ultimate which has been keeping me up later than I'd like. 

Super stoked to explore the library!

• Like 1

I got a switch but it is primarily used by my kids.

They like: Fortnite, Hello Neighbor, Smash Bros, Arms, Zelda, Splatoon

some games I really liked: Celeste, Tumbleseed, Sine Mora, Keep Talking and Nobody Explodes

I also found some good multi-player games:

Overcooked, Lovers in Dangerous Space Time, Crawl, Killer Queen

Biggest complaint with the system is the controllers turned to crap so fast.

On 12/16/2019 at 12:48 PM, G-type said:

I got a switch but it is primarily used by my kids.

They like: Fortnite, Hello Neighbor, Smash Bros, Arms, Zelda, Splatoon

some games I really liked: Celeste, Tumbleseed, Sine Mora, Keep Talking and Nobody Explodes

I also found some good multi-player games:

Overcooked, Lovers in Dangerous Space Time, Crawl, Killer Queen

Biggest complaint with the system is the controllers turned to crap so fast.

In what way did your controllers turn to crap? I've had mine since launch and have put 100s of hours in and my co trollers are all fine. Just curious

Just now, Rooster said:

A lot of people have had issues with joystick drifting.

Oh! I thought you meant something else. Yes. My original joycons have had drifting and syncing issues. I have not sent them in to get fixed though. The updates seem to have helped and they run fine now. You know Nintendo is fixing them for free if you send them in, right? Have the updates not helped in your case?

3 minutes ago, Fleck586 said:

Oh! I thought you meant something else. Yes. My original joycons have had drifting and syncing issues. I have not sent them in to get fixed though. The updates seem to have helped and they run fine now. You know Nintendo is fixing them for free if you send them in, right? Have the updates not helped in your case?

I'm not having any issues yet fortunately.  I don't put a ton of hours in on my Switch though.