IGNORED

The Spreading (And Potentially Deadly) Coronavirus Epidemic....

jonebone

Honest question: if you continuously find yourself being opposed by the rest of the world (in this case, the pandemic) at what point do you start to think that maybe you’re wrong about this, and it’s not (yet another...) massive conspiracy against Donald Trump?

This may sound snide but it’s not. I’m genuinely curious.

• Haha 1

4 minutes ago, The Strangest said:

The amount of idiots in Tennessee The United States is unreal. My location specifically (small town north of Nashville) country seems to be going against the CDC’s orders out of spite. As a result, our county nation has one of the worst outbreaks in the state on the entire flippin' planet.

I’m beyond over this shit.

Your comment helped me to sum up my feelings.  Thanks for the inspiration and clarity.

• Like 3

22 minutes ago, Quest4Nes said:

The media wants the economy driven to the ground because they hate trump and know he will win on the economy. So as long as they have driven it in the ground as long as they could its a win for them.

The economy was getting damaged no matter what. Whether it be by staying at home or a rampaging virus that would force the issue (which Trump is now admitting is far deadlier than the flu), it was going to happen, and it happened on Trump's watch.

Maybe if Trump didn't sit on his ass for the first few months, and actually had filled vacancies in the pandemic response team, we might have been ahead of it.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Quest4Nes said:

I think thats BS. There is no way we can operate like this through late summer and fall. People wont have it. Its going to get to a point of unrest. I think that point is the summer. We cant shut down the world for this. This is not the Black Plague. The US Second quarter GDP because of this could fall 34%? People arent going to let this keep that up. 

Saying shit like this will be a long time shut down the fall etc  is media pushed hysteria. I mean yea we need to take this seriously and practice good habits, but this shit has gone too far. This kind of unrealistic hype rhetoric is part of the problem. Because I dont care what you say. Its a statement that sounds like you are rooting for it to shut us down that long. Its regurgitating the media hype, and the media political agenda.

So the answer to my question is no, we can’t be adults about it. Good to know

Edited by Link

12 minutes ago, Tulpa said:

The economy was getting damaged no matter what. Whether it be by staying at home or a rampaging virus that would force the issue (which Trump is now admitting is far deadlier than the flu), it was going to happen, and it happened on Trump's watch.

Maybe if Trump didn't sit on his ass for the first few months, and actually had filled vacancies in the pandemic response team, we might have been ahead of it.

Blsme trump.....yawn.

8 minutes ago, Link said:

So the answer is no, we can’t be adults about it. Good to know

Yea because being realistic isnt an adult trait at all. Lol cmon man. Im a pretty go with the flow person, but even I have pretty much had it with this shit so I can only imagine in a month what other people are going to be like. This is going to get ugly.

Edited by Quest4Nes

There’s plenty of blame to go around for not being prepared. I don’t think it’s accurate to lay the blame solely at Trump’s feet. Truthfully, we were not prepared to be in front of this and wouldn’t have been regardless of which administration was in charge as medical experts had warned of this type of issue for at least three administrations.

With that said, it also didn’t help that China was not being forthright with the impact of this virus. I think I saw a Bloomberg article today that said US intelligence says China’s infection and death numbers aren’t accurate. I’ve thought this for weeks and most media has downplayed at as conspiracy. I think there should be some sort of recourse for what has happened as it has directly impacted the rest of the world.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.bloomberg.com/amp/news/articles/2020-04-01/china-concealed-extent-of-virus-outbreak-u-s-intelligence-says

Edited by ICrappedMyPants

It is accurate to blame a president that was briefed months ahead of time, did nothing, then called it a hoax to his supporters, then only took action when he realized the virus is a real thing.

His actions were worse than doing nothing. It’s why so many in this country don’t take it seriously. He called it a hoax. Now his supporters think it’s overblown to hurt him. He has done an objectively bad job with this pandemic.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

6 minutes ago, ICrappedMyPants said:

Truthfully, we were not prepared to be in front of this and wouldn’t have been regardless of which administration was in charge

Jan 8: CDC published an advisory

Jan 17: CDC began screening arrivals from Wuhan

January 21: CDC stated, “We do expect additional cases in the United States and globally.”

January 22: Reporter: ...are there worries about a pandemic at this point?

Trump: No. Not at all. And we’re, we have it totally under control. It’s one person coming in from China, and we have it under control. It’s going to be just fine... It’s a hoax. It’s a total hoax. 

Need I go on?

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, The Strangest said:

It is accurate to blame a president that was briefed months ahead of time, did nothing, then called it a hoax to his supporters, then only took action when he realized the virus is a real thing.

His actions were worse than doing nothing. It’s why so many in this country don’t take it seriously. He called it a hoax. Now his supporters think it’s overblown to hurt him. He has done an objectively bad job with this pandemic.

14 minutes ago, Link said:

Jan 8: CDC published an advisory

Jan 17: CDC began screening arrivals from Wuhan

January 21: CDC stated, “We do expect additional cases in the United States and globally.”

January 22: Reporter: ...are there worries about a pandemic at this point?

Trump: No. Not at all. And we’re, we have it totally under control. It’s one person coming in from China, and we have it under control. It’s going to be just fine... It’s a hoax. It’s a total hoax. 

Need I go on?

The reality is that Trump has done a poor job, but he’s not solely responsible for shortages of supplies for states that were warned of shortages. He also is not solely responsible for the inadequate national stockpile that his last two predecessors, especially the last one failed to replenish to recommended levels. Anyone who wants to solely point fingers at him is kidding themselves.

This is a failure on multiple levels of government over decades. Where was Congress during this time? Oh yeah, focused on an impeachment that was essentially a complete waste of time and money. He was also criticized for the travel ban as being racist. I live in Illinois, and my governor has been vocal about social distancing and safety. If he cares as much as he claims to, he would have delayed the primary. Instead, he put millions of voters at risk.

You won’t get arguments from me that his talk has been detrimental for this pandemic, but it’s not realistic to ignore that there is responsibility for this across the board. Trump and ALL politicians should be held responsible for their failures.

40 minutes ago, Quest4Nes said:

Blsme trump.....yawn.

Knew about it months ago, sits on his ass, defunded the CDC (which Congress had to clean up), didn't replace the pandemic response team leaders ... hell yeah, I'm blaming him.

BTW, blaming the media is a far more stale trope.

Edited by Tulpa

I believe the argument of defunding the cdc was already debunked. Funds were shuffeled but no real impact to cdc. I cant remember all the details but watched a bteakdown of that myth a few weeks ago.  Dnc false talking point

Im done in this thread for awhile. Vgs politics is just one big leftist bubble circle jerk 

Edited by Quest4Nes

11 minutes ago, ICrappedMyPants said:

The reality is that Trump has done a poor job, but he’s not solely responsible for shortages of supplies for states that were warned of shortages. He also is not solely responsible for the inadequate national stockpile that his last two predecessors, especially the last one failed to replenish to recommended levels. Anyone who wants to solely point fingers at him is kidding themselves

You may have some fair points, but if the issue was taken seriously at first, and if we had agency staff in place per normal protocol instead of planning to get the best people back after the need arises, the demand on various resources would have likely been much less than where we’ve gotten to and are going.

I don’t disagree that state governments were equally ill prepared and at fault for not taking action.

As for the impeachment... maybe Trump shouldn’t commit impeachable offenses? That’s 100% on him. It’s a really weak excuse from Trump and McConnell. EDIT: Just want to also add that I think being able to focus on more than one issue at any given time should be a requirement for any political office, but especially president of the United States.

As for the comment saying VGS is a “leftist” circlejerk... again I ask, when you find opposition on something everywhere you go on every issue, at what point do you stop wonder that maybe you’re the one who is wrong?

Edited by The Strangest

The CDC is examining the recommendation of masks in public. Considering the shortage, has anyone thought of what they might do if that recommendation is made? I’m considering possibly buying a sowing machine and making my own. I’d want to do some research on making them before going down this path.

4 minutes ago, ICrappedMyPants said:

The CDC is examining the recommendation of masks in public. Considering the shortage, has anyone thought of what they might do if that recommendation is made? I’m considering possibly buying a sowing machine and making my own. I’d want to do some research on making them before going down this path.

It’s my understanding that masks don’t prevent a person from getting the virus, rather it’s to protect others if you have it? Am I mistaken?

3 minutes ago, The Strangest said:

It’s my understanding that masks don’t prevent a person from getting the virus, rather it’s to protect others if you have it? Am I mistaken?

Yes, but since 4 out of 5 people don't know they have it, it is still a prudent measure. More evidence that the CDC has fucked up the entire national conversation about this and has probably cost many lives. 

• Like 3

That is what they have been saying. However, the CDC is considering recommending masks for the public to reduce the spread. Masks in Asia have helped reduce the spread of the flu. My guess is that it would reduce the larger airborne particles from the contagious. The virus itself is smaller than what an N95 mask can filter, but it would be better than nothing as long as people were still cautious and didn’t “play” with the mask.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.nytimes.com/2020/03/31/health/cdc-masks-coronavirus.amp.html

@Startyde I have not trusted the experts on lots of things they have been downplaying. I had to travel on March 2nd to Newark. I couldn’t get a mask or I would have worn one. I did disinfect everything I touched, including my airplane seat and tray. I started disinfecting all packaging from grocery shopping and deliveries shortly after even though experts said there was no need. I’m no scientist or doctor, but these things seemed like common sense measures that are only recently being encouraged.

• Like 1

My favorite part of this entire thread is when quest said this

On 3/3/2020 at 10:27 AM, Quest4Nes said:

politicizing this damn virus is annoying. Its why trump is going to win again. Everything is the worst ever and hyperbole. This is getting out of hand.

then proceeded to politicize the virus by saying the media and left are trying to destroy America so Trump won't win and they are purposely tanking the economy, the Democratic governor from VA is only ordering shut downs because he didn't want Republicans to be able to vote for Trump in a primary that was cancelled last year, and continues to downplay the virus when Trump finally admits this is a big deal and 200,000 Americans could die in the next two weeks from it after dismissing and attacking scientists and doctors and anyone with a brain for the past two months.

It's like even an act of god is somehow a conspiracy by the left to overthrow Trump. It's nuts. I'm sure if there's a big snow storm on election day it was probably the Dems paying off the weather guys to try and suppress Trump voters from turning out to the polls. Everything is a conspiracy. It can't just be that Trump failed at something.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

With many outbreaks in the past, I’ve heard something along the lines of: masks are just for hospitals. They are to prevent doctors and nurses from transmitting germs from one patient to another, especially those with weakened immune systems. In other words, they are like antibacterial soap: has a purpose, but general use by the general public is ill-advised. 

With Covid-19’s characteristics of rapid mutability and extended, asymptomatic gestation, I now believe widespread (and responsible!) mask use is a good idea.

spacer.png

above: MEDIA HYSTERIA

If using disposable masks dispose of them in appropriate places (not the ground in the supermarket parking lot).

If you have a mask to keep, wash and spray it with diluted bleach regularly (good idea to have multiple and rotate). I usually advocate for non-disposable items where possible and this is not different. 

My mask came from these instructions. It’s two layers of high thread-count cotton.

https://www.instructables.com/id/AB-Mask-for-a-Nurse-by-a-Nurse/

If you are not able to sew, a bandanna tied around your face is better than nothing. edit: So is a scarf, but warmer weather is on the way.

Edited by Link
your mom
  • Like 1

20 minutes ago, Startyde said:

Yes, but since 4 out of 5 people don't know they have it, it is still a prudent measure. More evidence that the CDC has fucked up the entire national conversation about this and has probably cost many lives. 

Thank you for the clarification.