IGNORED

The Spreading (And Potentially Deadly) Coronavirus Epidemic....

jonebone

24 minutes ago, Bearcat-Doug said:

Here in Ohio they just ordered all bars and restaurants to close starting at 9:00 PM allowing only take out and delivery. I think it's a little overboard when there are only about 25 cases of the virus in the entire state.

The virus has been very unkind to my industry, restaurants and hospitality.

But the reality is that all these precautions are to protect our elderly. And my industry would not survive without them. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Kguillemette said:

The virus has been very unkind to my industry, restaurants and hospitality.

But the reality is that all these precautions are to protect our elderly. And my industry would not survive without them. 

At the rate they are going, the entire state of Ohio will be shut down by next week.

3 hours ago, None said:

I work for the company that makes that formula. I can help point you to where to find it.

You are THE MAN among men! THIS is why this community is so great... right here folks... @None can’t thank you enough for this post (just saw it) as well as the direct message to me to help point my best friend in the right direction! Guys like this are what make this place awesome!

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, Bearcat-Doug said:

Here in Ohio they just ordered all bars and restaurants to close starting at 9:00 PM allowing only take out and delivery. I think it's a little overboard when there are only about 25 cases of the virus in the entire state.

You'd rather be too early than too late... but I do agree that seems a bit much yet.

I'm a numbers guy, and people are saying this is more lethal than the flu and higher infection rate. But compared to a baseline of what? Of Americans who haphazardly care for their own hygiene and commonly hang out in mass crowds. I wasnt a huge handwasher before and now I'm washing at least 30 times a day, I assume most are overdoing it too. Personal hygiene is at an all time high and this social distancing is a big deal.

So dont get me wrong, I expect hundreds of thousands or even over a million to get this in America but final death count may be slightly higher than a typical flu season. Economy is going to be wrecked a while though and bailouts will be coming.

1 hour ago, Gloves said:

It's kinda funny actually, I walk down the street to get a coffee and literally all I see are old people walking the streets, like they all have a death wish.

I obviously don't speak for all old people - but the older you get the more you have to reconcile yourself to the fact you only have so  much ( generally unkown exactly how long that is) time left before the inevitable.  The younger you are the easier it is not to deal with this psychologically - even though you know it will catch up to at some (hopefully distant) point in time.

In some ways life is always a crap shoot - you can get hit by a drunk driver pretty much any time of day and killed.  You can live in fear of this and limit your life style, take reasonable precautions or not, or don't let that possiblity destroy your normal life patterns.   You can let your fears rule you or you can rule them.

From a simplistic perspective it is a 50/50 chance* this virus will get me - I either contract it or I don't - and even if I get it there is no certainty I will die.  I can try to shelter in place and live like some hermit or I can take reasonable precautions and continue to enjoy life with as much normalcy as I can.  (If things get really bad I will change what I do - but I suspect people's worst fears about this will not come to pass.)

Edited by Tabonga

1 hour ago, Lambda said:

You are THE MAN among men! THIS is why this community is so great... right here folks... @None can’t thank you enough for this post (just saw it) as well as the direct message to me to help point my best friend in the right direction! Guys like this are what make this place awesome!

For what it’s worth I got my 8 month old the Enfamil Neuropro Gentleease at Target a few days ago with no issue. They still had some on the shelf if you need me to go buy it for you and ship it out. 

My biggest fear lately isn’t me not having food for me, it’s not having food for my little bud.

13 minutes ago, Tabonga said:

I obviously don't speak for all old people - but the older you get the more you have to reconcile yourself to the fact you only have so  much ( generally unkown exactly how long that is) time left before the inevitable.  The younger you are the easier it is not to deal with this psychologically - even though you know it will catch up to at some (hopefully distant) point in time.

This x100. I went to my grandmother in laws 90th birthday at Outback this weekend, about 40 people there. The exact opposite of what the media wants you to do now.

But at end of day, shes beat breast cancer decades ago, outlived her husband by 15 to 20 years and even survived a major heart surgery in her 70s. Shes a devout Christian and would be truly at peace when it's her time. I was surprised the family wanted to go thru with the outing but she insisted.

End of day, media hype is way overblown at this point. I agree with some of the large scale cancellations and avoiding most travel but at some point you have to live your life. Take precautions but no need to live like it's an apocalypse out there.

• Like 1

Hey guys, I work in a grocery store and lots of people come here every day. I am starting to get anxious about being infected by a customer or something. I mean, in Québec, schools are getting closed for minimum two weeks and gatherings are not allowed anymore. But, I interact with many customers, since they need my help. I am thinking about not going to work for the two next weeks, but then, my coworkers would have trouble with all the stuff they need to place in the aisles. Any advice ?

1 minute ago, jonebone said:

End of day, media hype is way overblown at this point. I agree with some of the large scale cancellations and avoiding most travel but at some point you have to live your life. Take precautions but no need to live like it's an apocalypse out there.

The media is hyping things to the max (you can argue why they do this - but they are still are doing it) - why bother to investigate things like the TP supply chain - have stories about how this stuff is manufactured in the US and not China and it is not likely to become in short supply (other than the artificial shortages caused by what only be described as mass hysteria.

A lot of the dire warnings are worst case scenarios and assume something approaching the 1918 experience (which was undeniably really nasty) is headed our way - this thing (unless it drastically mutates) is nowhere near that experience in potential damage.

The politicians on the other hand just want to look like they are doing something - whether it is at all efficatious or not.  And ignore things that might actully be useful.  (A similar situation occurred in WWII with rationing - very few of the thing rationed really needed to be (one of those was rubber since most of that came out of Southeast Asia) - but it made it look like the government was doint something and it gave the civilian population an odd morale boost since they too (along with the military members) were making a sacrifice of some sort to boost the war effort.

7 minutes ago, RetroMichel said:

Hey guys, I work in a grocery store and lots of people come here every day. I am starting to get anxious about being infected by a customer or something. I mean, in Québec, schools are getting closed for minimum two weeks and gatherings are not allowed anymore. But, I interact with many customers, since they need my help. I am thinking about not going to work for the two next weeks, but then, my coworkers would have trouble with all the stuff they need to place in the aisles. Any advice ?

My advice is to be gracious you have work to do. If you get sick, you get sick, but this disease is not some massive killer. Unless you are immunity compromised or live with someone who is, there really is not any sort of risk of death. Ride it out and keep collecting paychecks. Sales in my company is down close to 30% right now. I'm concerned of the possibility of consolidating the stores from 4 in manchester to 3. My store would likely be the odd man out if that were to happen. I have already been instructed to cut labor aggressively to ensure the viability of business. My coworkers/employees will be feeling the squeeze pretty soon.

1 hour ago, Lambda said:

Agreed

1 hour ago, RetroMichel said:

I would take time off work if I was financially able to. Even if your not above 65, or regularly interact with someone you are worried about carrying the virus to, they are starting to say that people that survive may have some sort of permanent lung damage. 

Administrator · Posted
2 minutes ago, Californication said:

I would take time off work if I was financially able to. Even if your not above 65, or regularly interact with someone you are worried about carrying the virus to, they are starting to say that people that survive may have some sort of permanent lung damage. 

Source?

Events Helper · Posted
7 minutes ago, Californication said:

Just a quick glance, but 12 people in the group......Remember it is still early and no possible way of really knowing anything long term about this.  That is a small group and who knows, maybe they live in the worst part of china where the air quality isnt the greatest!?  🤷‍♂️  Who knows.  But like i said, the small excerpt i read, 12 people is no where near enough to jump to that conclusion.

58 minutes ago, Jeevan said:

Just a quick glance, but 12 people in the group......Remember it is still early and no possible way of really knowing anything long term about this.  That is a small group and who knows, maybe they live in the worst part of china where the air quality isnt the greatest!?  🤷‍♂️  Who knows.  But like i said, the small excerpt i read, 12 people is no where near enough to jump to that conclusion.

I didn't reach a conclusion, I said "may." 

"May" cause permanent lung damage is good enough for me to want to avoid something. 

Events Helper · Posted
Just now, Californication said:

I didn't reach a conclusion, I said "may." 

"May" cause permanent lung damage is good enough for me to want to avoid something. 

I wasn't necessarily saying u believed it and I get ur point.  just that it really takes more than a group of 12 to justify a study was all......i want to avoid all sickness regardless

7 hours ago, arch_8ngel said:

Assuming you're talking about Alex Jones, he is the guy that was pushing a bunch of conspiracy theories about the Sandy Hook parents being "crisis actors".

Just the tip of the iceberg.

7 hours ago, arch_8ngel said:

The guy is a wretched human being that makes his living actively making the world a worse place.

Exactly

7 hours ago, DarkTone said:

Never heard of him. What should I google along side his name?

infowars

10 minutes ago, Jeevan said:

I wasn't necessarily saying u believed it and I get ur point.  just that it really takes more than a group of 12 to justify a study was all......i want to avoid all sickness regardless

I see, ya. It will take a lot more studies and it will be a while before we know what's what. 

Edited by Californication
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, Bearcat-Doug said:

If you wait until it doesn’t sound overboard, you waited too long. 

Fuck I’m eloquently drunk and wrote way more than intended. I’ll split it up so you can read my rambles or not.

STATE REPORT: Illinois:

All schools (public and private) are closed Tuesday the 17th. Monday operation still on to allow enough time for planning. This schedule was announced the prior Wednesday afternoon, allowing Thursday through Sunday to plan for distribution of assignments and establishment of communications on Monday.

Bars and dine-in restaurants are closed.

Pretty much any event at the convention center is cancelled. 

Girlfriend’s job (major fine art museum) is closed; high enough position to get a work from home deal with provided laptop. Also got to bring home a good haul of food from the house catering company.

My job is public service and cannot close. We have multiple contingent schedules and plans in place in case staffing levels drop due to illness.

St. Patrick’s day parades all over are cancelled, although plenty of idiots were doing pub crawls this weekend. 

Primary election is NOT cancelled or postponed. I am not sure if this is good or bad for what I want regarding the election specifically. 

Official word, 93 cases to date.

—————

Grocery stores, at least in my area of Chicago, are amazing. (cont’d)

Spoiler

I don’t even live in a particularly well-to-do area (although it well might be a couple decades down the line)(yes, I almost own my home, #prvilege ) and I am impressed at how well they can re-stock. Some shelves are sparse sometimes, but you go back the next day and they’re better or certainly not worse. Also. the employees have been so helpful and so friendly. I never have a problem with a cashier or stock person and I love (most of) my deli people, but I sometimes I get annoyed (when I am in a rush). But throughout this crisis, I have been really amazed at how nice and together we all are. and I am talking now about not just employees but even my fellow customers. I am not normally a nice and chatty friendly howyadoin haveaniceday kind of guy but, shit, you guys, everybody is being super amazing right now.

Maybe, I don’t know but maybe, that’s because we’re about to go into lockdown.

Spoiler

Which I think is the right thing to do. When things are in exponential mode, you have to act aggressively. If you don’t, the ultimate required response resources are gonna be, well, exponentially more. You can’t counter-react. You have to pro-act. Saying “this isn’t a big deal yet” while waiting for more people to get sick (and then become a big enough deal— aka not exactly pouring gas on the fire, but also not carrying any extinguisher) is literally going to cause more people to get sick! and become a bigger deal.

So yeah. Shut it down. As much as possible.

Spoiler

Food distribution is essential and I’m going to say again, as an atheist, goddamnedGod bless every single front line and back of house worker in that industry, for serving the most of the public in the most common essential way. Same goes for public transit, although that isn’t a thing everywhere. Groceries, dudes. Fuck yeah.

But, my point is, almost any other type of nonessential retail and entertainment that operates face-to-face, should be suspended.

Spoiler

Everybody needs to settle down right now and just chill on the IRL social. Contain it now. If we do, we’ll be all good sooner than later. If not, shit’s gonna be way worse for way longer. Be NICE, but figure out how to, patiently, stockpile stuff asap, while not stomping over everybody, so that you could physically be able to not leave your house for a few weeks. Just get ready for a couple of weeks, stay away from others, go back to the store a couple weeks later. This way, we limit exposure and the supply process can rebuild. 

That doesn’t mean a hundred rolls of toilet paper, it doesn’t mean a case of hand sanitizer, (is there other-body-parts-specific sanitizer? Is there foot sanitizer? Crotch sanitizer?). It does not mean 80 cans of soup and green beans when you only eat two cans a week. Let other people have food too, and also toilet paper, or the problems will be worse for your area and more likely to spread to you. And if you think now is the time to learn to cook or learn new things like “beans”, you better be serious before filling your cart with that shit. Some of us know how to use it. Don’t waste.

• Like 2

AND. (knew I was forgetting something.) 

I’m sorry to all my friends, but I’m further putting off interaction. I’m REALLY sorry to my friends who are bartenders, musicians, artists and the like, whose lives are more severely interrupted.