IGNORED

In what condition do you collect your games?

NES - it used to be almost exclusively loose.  I am now a CIB convert.  I’ve seen the light.  Having fun trying to complete/find complete games I’ve had in my collection forever.  I try to find the perfect balance between condition and price.

SNES - loose

N64 - loose and only when I’m drunk.

Genesis - loose and rarely

Gameboy - loose.  Why am I collecting this?

PS1/PS2/PS4 - it’s got to be CIB unless I find a phenomenal deal on a loose disc and then I’ll pick it up with the hopes of completing it later.  This rarely works out for me.

Wii - CIB

• Like 1

When I was collecting games heavily for cart based systems I went loose and as cheap as possible. Now i enjoy upgrading my copies when I am able. It is nice to pick up a cib then sell the cart and come out even or better. This also means I’ll always have an excuse to go to a game store or hunt around a bit

Cd systems and newer stuff I also like to pick up complete unless there is a crazy difference in price between loose and complete. I only buy what I want to play though, so it isn’t as much collecting really

I take what I can get.  If I don't have something and a boxed, CIB, etc. copy isn't much more than game only, I'll gladly pick up that version, although it's not a requirement.  For disc based games, I most often go for at least game + case, but in the instance of rare/expensive games, again, I'll take what I can get.  While I like having a collection of games, they get picked up in the first place to be played, so cases, manuals (in most cases), etc. aren't really an impedance to that if they're not present and are just icing on the cake.

I'll go loose for games that came in cardboard boxes. I have no inclination or money to collect an entire NES, SNES, or Game Boy set CIB, but I do want to own all the games. The good stuff, Nintendo, Capcom, Konami, RPGs, etc. I buy mostly CIB.

Sega games and anything with a disc CIB, I'm not a monster.

Edited by DefaultGen

I rules are straightforward. If, generally, most of the games for a system came in a case meant to be kept, then I want them CIB, otherwise loose. This does make exceptions, though. I collect some for the Genesis but since some games only came in boxes rather than clamshells, it means I have to collect the cardboard.

For all of these loose systems, manuals are a different set.  I collect manuals that I find for cheap and in good shape whether I have the game or not... I got a thing for books. I’m not looking to complete any sets though. 

As far as condition is concerned, my Game Boy set is my main one and I set the bar high for condition.  I am going for a Game Gear set next and will be probably accepting some games in lesser condition.

13 hours ago, CasualCart said:

I collect loose games exclusively, and condition doesn't matter as long as it plays. Marker, torn labels, etc. is all fine by me - it just adds character. I'd like to start picking up manuals for my NES games at some point, though.

-CasualCart

Good plan, it's the Paul route from NA years past.  I'm saving that pic you drew, that'll be useful. 😄

• Haha 1

Collect mostly NES and SNES cart only and I'm picky about condition being great. Have a small collection of my favorite NES games CIB and pretty minty with all original inserts. Small black box collection as well.

have a small n64 cart collection that are overall in very good condition, minus a few of the commons. That's just because they are easy to find that way. I have that stuff to play much more so than collect. 

• Like 1

Administrator · Posted
16 minutes ago, Skorp said:

I go everything CIB except retro of course (SNES, N64). Cart only since CIB would put me toward bankruptcy in seconds. N64 though, I will likely collect one day CIB since it is a small collection, but never with NES or SNES.

Why not go cib? You're surely not going for a full set, just pick up the games that are meaningful to you cib. Soon enough it turns from a couple beloved childhood faves to your entire collection, and it's not THAT bad really. 😉

I have moved on from my SNES, N64 and earlier collection.  The oldest games I own are mint complete RPGs in my PS1 collection.  So it's easy to stick to mint like new.  But when I did have an N64 collection they all had the plastic around the box except for the right side, so all completely mint pristine.

I'm cart only (though disc games you kinda have to do CIB)...as long as the label is in good shape (sometimes you see games with labels half torn off; yuk!) and there's no rental stickers/writing on it, it's all good.

But with games on the Genesis and Atari 2600 that didn't use as good quality paper for their labels, it can be tougher to find games with good labels.