IGNORED

The President of the US has been impeached

CodysGameRoom

3 minutes ago, Californication said:

Sanders can beat Trump; he is super popular. If Trump gets a second term it's going to be the fault of the DNC, liberal democrats, and the corporate media.

As crazy as this sounds, I think he could've easily beat Trump in 2016.  Think about it, Sanders didn't have all those incriminating emails, Sanders didn't have a flagrant adulterer for a spouse (talk about Bill as the first "First Gentleman" most definitely NOT living up to that title!!), Sanders wasn't caught on tape laughing about getting a child rapist off, and he sure as heck wasn't "resting" for days at a time.

But most important and most critical of all, did NOT flagrantly disregard/write off the rural/blue color folks in PA/MI/WI as Hillary did.  Bill in fact was begging Hillary not to write off those blue collar/rural folks because he knew they were essential for his 1992/1996 wins.  And just as you pointed out, Sanders too was able to get some good enthusiastic crowds (as opposed to Hillary who struggled to get hardly anyone to come to her rallies) and he too had a populist flavor about him...albeit on the complete opposite end of the political spectrum.

I guess what I'm trying to say is, Sanders would not have provided Trump nearly the ammunition that Hillary had that Trump was able to use to hammer her mercilessly on to the delight of his rally goers.

4 minutes ago, Tulpa said:

Impeachment also gets the evidence out there.

Even if a partisan Senate won't remove them, you go through the process to show the improper conduct.

On the second note I did in fact feel that way at the time regarding the Clinton impeachment...I thought what he did was a total embarrassment to the office and that even if indeed there was virtually no chance of conviction, I thought at least it was "better than nothing" or "better than just some censure".

But in hindsight, I'm approaching this in much the same way a DA/prosecutor would for regular ol' criminal cases...would they bother bringing the case to trial without first making sure they had the goods on the defendant that they thought would at least have a realistic chance of conviction?  Because remember under double jeopardy if the defendant is acquitted you don't get a do-over.

3 minutes ago, Estil said:

But in hindsight, I'm approaching this in much the same way a DA/prosecutor would for regular ol' criminal cases...would they bother bringing the case to trial without first making sure they had the goods on the defendant that they thought would at least have a realistic chance of conviction?  Because remember under double jeopardy if the defendant is acquitted you don't get a do-over.

They did have the goods. Even Romney thought so. But Trump's claim that he could shoot someone on Fifth Avenue and not lose his core support (and the Senate Republicans minus Romney believing that frightening statement) seems to be bearing out. 

Second, this is not a criminal trial. It's a political process.

The criminal trial would have things like witnesses, and not letting the jury vote against hearing witnesses.

• Like 1

Just now, Tulpa said:

They did have the goods. Even Romney thought so. But Trump's claim that he could shoot someone on Fifth Avenue and not lose his core support (and the Senate Republicans minus Romney believing that frightening statement) seems to be bearing out. 

Second, this is not a criminal trial. It's a political process.

The criminal trial would have things like witnesses, and not letting the jury vote against hearing witnesses.

A criminal trial also would have dismissed jurors who openly said they would not be impartial, and arrested ones who did not show up for court.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Bear85 said:

Y’all starting to sound like 49ers fans, calling the super bowl fix cause the Chiefs won. 

The trouble with claims like that though is that we've heard billions of them from the days all those sports started and nearly all of them are not true.  You know, the whole why someone shouldn't cry wolf thing?

1 hour ago, Tulpa said:

Impeachment also gets the evidence out there.

Even if a partisan Senate won't remove them, you go through the process to show the improper conduct.

Strong arming an ally to aid your personal campaign certainly qualifies as improper.

It also serves notice that if he tries anything like this again, he'll go through it again. Even if he doesn't learn, Senate Republicans will really pay a price, if they aren't already doomed come November.

All these people acting like he is super clear and cleared of everything lol. Wait until his taxes come out, and the state of NY gets a hold of him. 

I hope we can maintain the sanctity of our elections. Or else it is the roman empire all over again!

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Estil said:

The Medal of Freedom (along with the Congressional Gold Medal, but it doesn't get nearly as much attention) is the highest civilian honor.  The Tuskegee airman already got a late promotion (whatever the right term would be) to Brigader (one star) General and he could receive the Medal of Honor (highest military honor) if he hadn't already done so.

As for RIP America/our electoral system, isn't it better for those like yourself who can't stand Trump and want to get rid of him to do it the right way, at the ballot box?  I mean it is just nine short months away after all.  Not to mention that the last three Presidents got the full two terms/eight years I would think you'd be thrilled to death to see Trump become an embarrassing "one termer" (wasn't there a Simpsons episode where Bush 41 tried to get into some nightclub and the bouncer said "sorry, no one termers!").

It is absolutely grotesque that Limbaugh would get that medal.

There is possibly no one LESS worthy.

I feel bad for the guy having late stage lung cancer, because I wouldn't wish that on anyone.  But it doesn't suddenly make him a person that has ever done anything good for America, freedom, or unity as a country.

• Like 5

I love the amount of salt in this room right now

Ellen Degeneres got a medal of freedom. Its not that big of a deal Rush Limbaugh got one. I dont always agree with everything he says, but hes a great entertainer and a very successful man. His program is often quite funny. I sometimes catch it at lunch when there isnt a youtube video or something else I want to watch. People take this stuff way too seriously.

Edited by Quest4Nes
  • Like 3

2 hours ago, Quest4Nes said:

Ellen Degeneres got a medal of freedom. Its not that big of a deal Rush Limbaugh got one. I dont always agree with everything he says, but hes a great entertainer and a very successful man. His program is often quite funny. I sometimes catch it at lunch when there isnt a youtube video or something else I want to watch. People take this stuff way too seriously.

Not to mention entertainers get knighthoods in the UK and Orders of Canada (such as Red Green 😄 ) have routinely been among recipients for at least a few decades.  And yes some like Rush have indeed been controversial political figures (of all kinds on the political spectrum).

Edited by Estil

I'm just surprised Trump didn't give himself a medal. 

Him and Limbaugh looked like they were on the same medication cocktail.

Maybe the award was for Limbaugh teaching him the right drug cocktail for different situations. (State of the union - gotta stay calm - look presssidential (in Trumps voice) 2 xanax and a nip of oxycontin to start the night and if you get a little drowsy keep some ground up oxy at the ready.

Edited by Californication
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, Quest4Nes said:

I love the amount of salt in this room right now

Yeah, it’s so stupid to care when somebody says repeatedly all black people are gangbangers and criminals. Don’t be offended, it’s just entertainment lol 

• Like 2

On 1/16/2020 at 2:11 AM, Rooster said:

Yes it can, and it has happened to me here in Japan.  I have had landlords refuse to rent to me, and companies refuse to work with me for not being Japanese. 

Situations like these have happened to me countless times as well in Taiwan. Although I'd never wish such behaviour to occur to anyone, it's nice to know that I'm not going crazy for recognising this for what it is.

49 minutes ago, RegularGuyGamer said:

Does the thread title change after the acquittal?

No, he ia still the third president that has been impeached in the house. 

The fact that his party controlled the Senate and doesn't want to impeach him has no bearing on the fact that he is the third presdient ever impeached in the house.

It's like Jeffrey Epstein raping all those girls. He was found guilty, and deserved more time, and the fact that he was released from jail after 6 months or whatever it was doesn't change the fact that he is guilty and deserved a longer sentence..

Edited by Californication

1 hour ago, fcgamer said:

Situations like these have happened to me countless times as well in Taiwan. Although I'd never wish such behaviour to occur to anyone, it's nice to know that I'm not going crazy for recognising this for what it is.

I'm fortunate that it's only happened to me maybe 3-4 times in as many years in Japan, but it is definitely not a fun thing to have happen to you.  

Who's saying that's a joke? I always just thought it was a crotchety old white dude living up to the stereotype.

7 hours ago, Californication said:

It's like Jeffrey Epstein raping all those girls. He was found guilty, and deserved more time, and the fact that he was released from jail after 6 months or whatever it was doesn't change the fact that he is guilty and deserved a longer sentence..

The guy already got the death penalty, how much more severe of a sentence could they possibly give him without it just being an empty symbolism.

Edited by PineappleLawnchair