IGNORED

The President of the US has been impeached

CodysGameRoom

6 hours ago, CodysGameRoom said:

You are confusing racial prejudice and racism. 

https://www.thoughtco.com/racism-vs-prejudice-3026086

Literally in the opening image it states Racisim: Belief that race is equated with particular traits. So no, I'm not confusing shit. Keep moving those goalposts so that you can remain blameless for the actions you claim to despise when performed by others.

1 minute ago, MachineCode said:

Keep moving those goalposts so that you can remain blameless for the actions you claim to despise when performed by others.

I'm not moving goalposts. I'm sorry if I am failing to help you understand what I am trying to say here. Apparently, as pointed out by others, I've cited an article which isn't doing me any favors.

There absolutely is a huge difference between prejudice and racism. I have yet to see someone provide a compelling argument otherwise. 

3 minutes ago, MachineCode said:

Yes, there is. You just suck at recognizing it.

I read what you wrote. Racism is using your race's bias, privilege and social status against other races. That literally can't be done to white people. Please provide a compelling argument otherwise. Cited sources/opinion pieces/articles would really help your argument. 

Edited by CodysGameRoom

3 minutes ago, CodysGameRoom said:

Yes, and I recognize my privilege and do my best to check it. Please explain what you are getting at, I'm dying of suspense.

I'm really struggling to care if I lose any and all credibility with you. Just on the topic of "white privilege",... listen, I'd really like to deconstruct that topic alone and help you out of what is an already outdated mode of thinking, but things in real life are stacking up and I've already used alot of my free time for today responding to Arch. Maybe this weekend.

Just now, m308gunner said:

I'd really like to deconstruct that topic alone and help you out of what is an already outdated mode of thinking, but things in real life are stacking up and I've already used alot of my free time

PLEASE. Please make time to explain why you think white people don't have social privilege. I'm dying to know how you try to spin this one.

4 minutes ago, CodysGameRoom said:

Racism is using your race's bias, privilege and social status against other races. That literally can't be done to white people. Please provide a compelling argument otherwise. Cited sources/opinion pieces/articles would really help your argument. 

That is absolute horseshit. Let's instead consult our friend Merriam Webster:

: a belief that race is the primary determinant of human traits and capacities and that racial differences produce an inherent superiority of a particular race

2a: a doctrine or political program based on the assumption of racism and designed to execute its principles

b: a political or social system founded on racism

3: racial prejudice or discrimination

You are operating on that bullshit of racism = prejudice + power which is just as I stated earlier, moving the goalposts so that you can remain blameless for the actions you claim to despise when performed by others.

5 minutes ago, CodysGameRoom said:

PLEASE. Please make time to explain why you think white people don't have social privilege. I'm dying to know how you try to spin this one.

Nobody is making that argument. The argument is you're trying to redefine racism to be dependent upon privilege, which it isnt in the generally accepted usage.

5 minutes ago, CodysGameRoom said:

As I stated in my response to Arch, the ideologies behind your ideas (which look to hinge on identity politics (neomarxism)) present such a low resolution image of reality that to base your conduct on them would be extremely unwise if not outright dangerous. You are playing the game of lumping people into groups and ascribing those groups with certain characteristics. No spin required, but to include that statement is to betray any willingness on your part to give what I say a fair shake.

What I’m getting at is that you’re full of crap.  Unlike some of the participants here your arguments lack any sense of nuance or grasp of the reality of the situation.  That entire sociological school of thought does.  It’s easier to just spew some shitty catch phrases like “check your privilege” and not only diminish the real life struggles of people of color but also the discourse to a level where I must assume you feel more comfortable.  You certainly aren’t changing any minds or making it any easier on those of us who are not actually your ideological enemies.

i was hoping you’d play along longer so I could work my way to something along the lines of “Like ZOMG I like totally met a black guy once”

8 minutes ago, MachineCode said:

That is absolute horseshit. Let's instead consult our friend Merriam Webster:

: a belief that race is the primary determinant of human traits and capacities and that racial differences produce an inherent superiority of a particular race

2a: a doctrine or political program based on the assumption of racism and designed to execute its principles

b: a political or social system founded on racism

3: racial prejudice or discrimination

You are operating on that bullshit of racism = prejudice + power which is just as I stated earlier, moving the goalposts so that you can remain blameless for the actions you claim to despise when performed by others.

No worries friend. You keep using a dictionary to define things. I'll continue to look at the real world situations and implications and ya know, the things that are actually happening.

If I'm a hypocrite or a bigot because I won't tolerate racism, homophobia, etc, then label me as such and fuck off.

• Haha 1

Just now, CodysGameRoom said:

No worries friend. You keep using a dictionary to define things. I'll continue to look at the real world situations and implications and ya know, the things that are actually happening.

If I'm a hypocrite or a bigot because I won't tolerate racism, homophobia, etc, then label me as such and fuck off.

You're a hypocrite because you claim to be against bigotry yet engage in it against others instead of just universally being against bigotry.

2 minutes ago, Hammerfestus said:

What I’m getting at is that you’re full of crap.  Unlike some of the participants here your arguments lack any sense of nuance or grasp of the reality of the situation.  That entire sociological school of thought does.  It’s easier to just spew some shitty catch phrases like “check your privilege” and not only diminish the real life struggles of people of color but also the discourse to a level where I must assume you feel more comfortable.  You certainly aren’t changing any minds or making it any easier on those of us who are not actually your ideological enemies.

i was hoping you’d play along longer so I could work my way to something along the lines of “Like ZOMG I like totally met a black guy once”

Sorry to disappoint you. 

Back on to president stuff, it seems like the Iran stuff is a non starter after they shot down that jetliner. Although it recently came out the attack was in the works for several months exposing the "imminent threat" rhetoric as bs. I saw some speculation there could be new articles of impeachment based on all this but it seems like everyone is more or less going to move on now.

• Like 1

Well that was interesting.

I'll take back what I said about bigotry. I am not against it.

I am against racism, homophobia,  sexism, and any discrimination towards someone based on something out of their control (gender, sexual identity, skin color, etc). I will not tolerate it. I will not tolerate those who make excuses for it. I will not tolerate those that rationalize it. If that makes me bigoted towards people who subscribe to those ideologies, then that is what I am and I happily accept that. I'm sorry if any of my posts or comments here diminished the struggles of people of color as that certainly was not my intent. I'm sorry that my opinion of what racism is does not seem to match up to the majority of those here. If that makes you feel like I don't have a grasp on the reality of things, well, I'm sorry about that too.

Politics and social ideologies are extremely complicated and I feel like I am arguing with some of the same people (not all), who, if I were to speak to in person, would be very much in agreement with most of my ideals. That's unfortunate because with the way things are going, it's important now more than ever for those of us that stand up and unite with those who are oppressed to stick together. So I am truly sorry about going off the handle.

That said, I clearly need a break from this thread. I'll check it out again down the line.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, CodysGameRoom said:

I read what you wrote. Racism is using your race's bias, privilege and social status against other races. That literally can't be done to white people. Please provide a compelling argument otherwise. Cited sources/opinion pieces/articles would really help your argument. 

You are getting hung up on "racism" as used in the colloquial sense and "systemic racism" used in the sociology sense.

Most of us here aren't sociologists and are using the term as it is commonly used -- to denote intense/irrational prejudice (and usually hate) toward other races.

That one cuts both ways.