IGNORED

The President of the US has been impeached

CodysGameRoom

7 hours ago, m308gunner said:

I'd like to, but there's not enough time in the day right now to pull together all the necessary strings of psychology, theology, politics, morality and history to give a fuller context

We were talking about same-sex marriage. 

7 hours ago, m308gunner said:

to those that want to just slap the "bigot" label on things and move on.

How dare you say what other people want to do. You are not a mind reader. You have no idea what their desires or motives are.

Where do they get the moderators for these debates?

This is not really about the kerfuffle between Sanders and Warren about what he may or may not have said.  I don't want to see either of them in the oval office so I don't have a dog in that show.  But the moderator asked Sanders if he said that a woman couldn't be elected (which he denied saying) and then she asks Warren what she thought when Sanders said it.  Thereby pretty much calling Sanders a liar.   Why can't these  moderators at least pretend to be neutral?

Edited by Wandering Tellurian

Moderator · Posted
1 hour ago, Wandering Tellurian said:

Where do they get the moderators for these debates?

This is not really about the kerfuffle between Sanders and Warren about what he may or may not have said.  I don't want to see either of them in the oval office so I don't have a dog in that show.  But the moderator asked Sanders if he said that a woman couldn't be elected (which he denied saying) and then she asks Warren what she thought when Sanders said it.  Thereby pretty much calling Sanders a liar.   Why can't these  moderators at least pretend to be neutral?

You could argue that in that instance the moderators are holding candidates’ feet to the fire. Warren’s staff had been spreading that particular claim, and it should be fair game to confront the candidates implicated by that claim. Sanders can deny it, Warren can want to sidestep it to not sling mud, but it would be a noticeable omission if it wasn’t addressed at all. It’s a potentially important opportunity to confront a candidate with “your campaign is spreading this rumor, what do you specifically have to say about it”?

Edited by Scrobins

1 hour ago, Scrobins said:

You could argue that in that instance the moderators are holding candidates’ feet to the fire. Warren’s staff had been spreading that particular claim, and it should be fair game to confront the candidates implicated by that claim. Sanders can deny it, Warren can want to sidestep it to not sling mud, but it would be a noticeable omission if it wasn’t addressed at all. It’s a potentially important opportunity to confront a candidate with “your campaign is spreading this rumor, what do you specifically have to say about it”?

I have no problem with the issue being raised - but it was done in such a ham fisted and biased way when it could have been addressed in a much better manner - it is not like the moderator was under any time pressure to come up with the questions - they have all the time in the world to decide how to phrase their questions.  

@Wandering Tellurian  I agree.  It was appropriate to talk about, but oh my goodness, it was handled in such an intentionally cheeky way.  If I recall correctly, the audience even laughed when the moderator said that.  Maybe they just wanted to stir up some trouble or get a reaction, but handling it in that manner just lowers the level of discourse and genuine examination.

If you're curious and haven't already seen it, I saw Politico has the audio now on the no-handshake showdown Warren and Bernie had at the end of the debate.

On 1/15/2020 at 5:56 AM, CodysGameRoom said:

I read what you wrote. Racism is using your race's bias, privilege and social status against other races. That literally can't be done to white people. Please provide a compelling argument otherwise. Cited sources/opinion pieces/articles would really help your argument. 

Yes it can, and it has happened to me here in Japan.  I have had landlords refuse to rent to me, and companies refuse to work with me for not being Japanese. 

• Thanks 1

8 hours ago, Rooster said:

Yes it can, and it has happened to me here in Japan.  I have had landlords refuse to rent to me, and companies refuse to work with me for not being Japanese. 

You don't even need to travel that far to see it.   I've had it happen to me plenty of times locally.  (Although I must admit being called the "white devil" was the best slur hurled at me)

14 hours ago, Kguillemette said:

I believe Chief Justice Roberts said it best.

"This court has determined that the marriage is a fundamental right for any two consenting adults, regardless of sexual identity. It is entirely unfair that only heterosexuals may suffer."

Wait, he is saying suffer by being married? That's funny.

• 3 weeks later...
On 1/15/2020 at 8:36 PM, Kguillemette said:

I believe Chief Justice Roberts said it best.

"This court has determined that the marriage is a fundamental right for any two consenting adults, regardless of sexual identity. It is entirely unfair that only heterosexuals may suffer."

Wait.....  he didn't actually say that did he?  Isn't that Peter from Family Guy?

2 hours ago, tbone3969 said:

Wait.....  he didn't actually say that did he?  Isn't that Peter from Family Guy?

Ive been reading Babylon Bee a lot lately. They have been spitting out hot sarcastic conservative fire lately. Like this gem from a couple days ago.

https://babylonbee.com/news/trump-to-deliver-state-of-the-union-in-scuba-gear-to-avoid-drowning-in-liberal-tears

• Like 1

19 hours ago, MrWunderful said:

Nice to see the medal of freedom is basically worthless now. I would have rather seen it on the tuskegee airman, not a lie shouting bigot like Rush. 

The Medal of Freedom (along with the Congressional Gold Medal, but it doesn't get nearly as much attention) is the highest civilian honor.  The Tuskegee airman already got a late promotion (whatever the right term would be) to Brigader (one star) General and he could receive the Medal of Honor (highest military honor) if he hadn't already done so.

As for RIP America/our electoral system, isn't it better for those like yourself who can't stand Trump and want to get rid of him to do it the right way, at the ballot box?  I mean it is just nine short months away after all.  Not to mention that the last three Presidents got the full two terms/eight years I would think you'd be thrilled to death to see Trump become an embarrassing "one termer" (wasn't there a Simpsons episode where Bush 41 tried to get into some nightclub and the bouncer said "sorry, no one termers!").

EDIT: Here it is:

Edited by Estil
  • Like 2

8 minutes ago, Estil said:

The Medal of Freedom (along with the Congressional Gold Medal, but it doesn't get nearly as much attention) is the highest civilian honor.  The Tuskegee airman already got a late promotion (whatever the right term would be) to Brigader (one star) General and he could receive the Medal of Honor (highest military honor) if he hadn't already done so.

As for RIP America/our electoral system, isn't it better for those like yourself who can't stand Trump and want to get rid of him to do it the right way, at the ballot box?  I mean it is just nine short months away after all.  Not to mention that the last three Presidents got the full two terms/eight years I would think you'd be thrilled to death to see Trump become an embarrassing "one termer" (wasn't there a Simpsons episode where Bush 41 tried to get into some nightclub and the bouncer said "sorry, no one termers!").

Good point about the civilian honor.  I would rather see it thrown in the trash than given to Rush. 

I have zero faith that Trump will not do everything in his power to get outside influences in our next election so I am not keeping my hopes up about him being a 1- term president. Even if he loses, all we are going to hear About how its a deep state plot. 

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Estil said:

As for RIP America/our electoral system, isn't it better for those like yourself who can't stand Trump and want to get rid of him to do it the right way, at the ballot box?  

Impeachment and removal is also "the right way", given it is in the Constitution.

Edited by Tulpa
  • Like 2

7 minutes ago, MrWunderful said:

Good point about the civilian honor.  I would rather see it thrown in the trash than given to Rush. 

I have zero faith that Trump will not do everything in his power to get outside influences in our next election so I am not keeping my hopes up about him being a 1- term president. Even if he loses, all we are going to hear About how its a deep state plot. 

Not to mention we both live in super easy blue (your CA) and red (my KY) states so neither of our votes would make much difference anyway.  Well not for President anyway.

Edited by Estil

7 minutes ago, Tulpa said:

Impeachment and removal is also "the right way", given it is in the Constitution.

If you have anywhere near the votes to do so, sure.  To be completely "fair and balanced" I think Clinton's impeachment was just as much a total waste as the Trump impeachment was.   I mean even during the Nixon thing, didn't they take their time and make sure they first really had the goods on him and at least a realistic shot of having the 2/3 in the Senate to convict before really starting the formal impeachment process (he resigned right before the proposed articles were scheduled to go to the full House (no not the TV show) vote).

• Like 1

Just now, Estil said:

If you have anywhere near the votes to do so, sure.  To be completely "fair and balanced" I think Clinton's impeachment was just as much a total waste as the Trump impeachment was.   I mean even during the Nixon thing, didn't they take their time and make sure they first really had the goods on him and at least a realistic shot of having the 2/3 in the Senate to convict before really starting the formal impeachment process (he resigned right before the proposed articles were scheduled to go to the full House (no not the TV show) vote).

Impeachment also gets the evidence out there.

Even if a partisan Senate won't remove them, you go through the process to show the improper conduct.

Strong arming an ally to aid your personal campaign certainly qualifies as improper.

It also serves notice that if he tries anything like this again, he'll go through it again. Even if he doesn't learn, Senate Republicans will really pay a price, if they aren't already doomed come November.