IGNORED

The President of the US has been impeached

CodysGameRoom

On 2/6/2020 at 4:49 AM, RegularGuyGamer said:

Does the thread title change after the acquittal?

On 1/13/2020 at 7:46 AM, CodysGameRoom said:
On 1/11/2020 at 5:03 PM, Tulpa said:

Can we rename this the Current Events/World Politics/whatever thread (with the blessing of the OP) and just use it as a clearing house?

OP Here. I'm in agreement with this. I think just Politics thread would be good enough. It seems to me we are getting through it well enough to keep discussing it. 

How about it?

Or is this about to get locked

• Haha 1

8 hours ago, fcgamer said:

Voting against hate? Come on bro, never once did you guys give Trump a chance, spewing all sorts of hate towards him since he became president. 

You know spewing hate against the President or other leader who is used to being in the public eye and can mostly roll with the punches and stick up for themselves is one thing but what I absolutely cannot stand for is when radical leftists (you know the ones that claim they're all about tolerance and diversity?) hypocritically are screaming "LOVE TRUMPS HATE!!!" while we hear over and over again assaults/vandalism committed against people just because they happen to support Trump and/or wear a red MAGA cap.  In the latest example there was a guy who tried to run over a whole pro-Republican and/or pro-Trump tent/booth!!  I also remember how right after the election you saw people burning/breaking stuff and assaulting people just because their preferred candidate didn't win the election.  I do not recall any other time in recent memory where the supporters of the losing candidate right after the election acted anywhere close to that.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Wandering Tellurian said:

As the only certified old f**k  on the board I distincly remember a distant time when who you voted for didn't mean a declararion of war - you might have talked about it but it had about as much impact as whether you preferred a Ford or a Dodge.  In other words you would maybe go out, have a beer, talk about who you were going to vote for and then have another beer and talk about women (or whatever).

I suspect it has to do with the polarization of things that the two party system has (predictably) resulted in. What I find most distressing in the sheer hatred manifest towards leaders (not just here but just about everywhere else) - unless they are on you side in which case it is ok for yours to do what the other side is doing/has done.  To get to the point where you wish someone would die is just pathetic (not really aiming at anyone in particular) IMHO.  While I immensely disliked Obama (and the second Bush also - I am still trying to decide which of the two is the worst president in my life time - at least when I decide I will know who is second worstI) I certainly never wished any physical harm to come to him.

That's how I view it too...we have more than enough checks and balances in place (and I don't just mean the three ring gov't from that Schoolhouse Rock diddy) to ensure that's it's not "the end of the world" just because your preferred candidate didn't win.  Remember it's not just the President/governor being up every four years...every other year so is your Congressperson and in two out of three of those two year cycles one of your Senators is up as well.

The President may allegedly be the most powerful man in the free world or whatever but he can't do nearly as much as people think he can (again checks and balances).  He's nowhere near an absolute monarch you know, and he only gets eight years at most (with the very rare exception of up to an additional two years of eligibility if he took over for another President who died/resigned/etc for up to that long; if longer he can only be elected to his own four year term once).

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, Link said:

On 2/6/2020 at 4:49 AM, RegularGuyGamer said:

Does the thread title change after the acquittal?

How about it?

Or is this about to get locked

Honestly the impeachment/acquittal is all done and I do think this topic should be locked and then start fresh with new topics about other current events.

5 minutes ago, Estil said:

Honestly the impeachment/acquittal is all done and I do think this topic should be locked and then start fresh with new topics about other current events.

Well he did just admit to firing whistleblowers in retaliation, which is against the law, so we might get to do this all over again.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Estil said:

In the latest example there was a guy who tried to run over a whole pro-Republican and/or pro-Trump tent/booth!! 

Really. Where was this? 

17 minutes ago, Estil said:

but what I absolutely cannot stand for is when radical leftists (you know the ones that claim they're all about tolerance and diversity?) hypocritically are screaming "LOVE TRUMPS HATE!!!" while we hear over and over again assaults/vandalism committed against people just because they happen to support Trump and/or wear a red MAGA cap. 

...Not the first time you’ve stated these things. I think you are conflating multiple people who have very different ideas about how to address authoritarianism, into one approach. What is this based on?

• Like 2

Here we go. Sounds to me like a pretty dumb attempt at intimidation that backfired gloriously.

https://www.jacksonville.com/news/20200209/jacksonville-man-arrested-accused-of-crashing-van-into-tent-of-republican-voters

What an idiot. So here’s the question though, was he screaming "LOVE TRUMPS HATE!!!" ? 

Edited by Link

• The topic was locked