IGNORED

How do you folks play Game Boy these days?

nesmaster14

Game Boy Gaming Setup Preference  

39 members have voted

1. 1. How do you play Game Boy (GB/GBC, specifically) these days? Your go-to option.

• Stock original hardware (GB/GBC), handheld
    • Modded original hardware (GB/GBC), handheld
    • Original hardware w/ oldschool accessories (Wormlight, magnifier, etc, feel free to specify)
    • Consolized Oldschool - Super Gameboy, Wideboy 64, Gameboy Player, etc.
    • Consolized Modern - a modern consolized gameboy solution using original hardware
    • FPGA - MiSTer
    • FPGA - Analogue Pocket
    • GBC? gbcsucks why are u asking and why am I reading this
    • GB/GBC on later model Nintendo Gameboy handheld (GBA/SP/etc.)
    • Other clone system/handheld
    • Gameboy Pocket
    • Gameboy Light (japan)
    • Emulation (handheld) -- Switch, Steamdeck, Smartphone, PSP, etc.
    • Emulation (controller/docked/keyboard) -- PC, Raspberry Pi/etc. -- or any emulator system used in Docked/controller mode

I've recently gotten a bit more into Gameboy Color again.  Nowadays, it seems there's quite a variety of ways to play.  

Thought it'd be fun to hear folks setups/and or ideal setups.   The poll above I think covers most options, but feel free to discuss!  Also, I separated Pocket because I feel that's a more uncommon go-to option, but we'll see (I actually had one in the day too).

For me, I'm enjoying playing the original unmodded Gameboy Color hardware.  Gotta find that right spot out of shadow, via the precise movement of mind body and spirit, to redirect the sunlight or nearby light source, in the goal of obtaining full-view of its low pixel-density screen for optimal handheld gaming circa '98.  lol

Edited by nesmaster14
  • Like 2

I love my pocket.  As much as I do love an OG experience, these old eyes are tough to use in dim light on an ole pee-green screen.  The green Analog Pocket filter, however, does get it to about as close to an original feel as you can and still be backlit (and large.)

I also find myself sometimes switching to the Red/Black theme.

• Like 2

The analogue pocket really is the best way to play early portable games imo.

I couldn’t imagine going back to my GBA even though I have the updated screen. And I definitely couldn’t see my self using a Gameboy.

The pocket just feels great and the sleep function is really handy.

I also like playing on the Super Gameboy and GBA player but I’m more into portables so the majority of time I go with the analogue pocket.

I use a Retroad adapter for SNES/SFC. It's pretty much one of those GB Boy Colour clones (the backlit ones by Kong Feng) crammed onto a cartridge that reads inputs from the console. Being able to play the games on my TV is a big upside for me. If I want something portable I'll use a GBA SP. I've considered getting one of those GB Interceptor cartridges to copy the image from my Gameboy Pocket to my computer screen, but in the videos I've seen of them they appear to have significant delay from what happens on the Gameboy. That makes me think they are probably only suitable for recording footage, not to be used as a substitute for the display in real time

Editorials Team · Posted

I ordered my Analogue Pocket forever ago, so I don't have it yet. 😒

99% of my GB playing is grey carts on an un-modded GBA SP. So it sticks out the bottom. If I were smarted and had more time, I'd mod a way to fit the entire cartridge into it, and use a different-shaped battery. I've actually spent some time on a few ideas. As soon as I find something feasible, the Analogue will arrive.

image.jpeg.35cbfa601aba1f35f483ed3f7bd7c8b1.jpeg

image.jpeg.62a8f87a0340ed46fc6864be5cbd19eb.jpeg

image.jpeg.f20da86aa9fbb1e118a5002fb271e531.jpeg

Usually the Game Boy Player. I have the GameCube's Component cable and run the GBP in Progressive Scan. My GameCube is also hooked up to a Sound Bar, and many Game Boy games sound reasonably good on it. Like using the Wavebird Controller, and sometimes use a Hori Digital Controller or a GBA SP as a Controller.

However, occasionally I'll play original Game Boy games using a Game Boy Pocket or on the Switch via the Game Boy App (either TV mode or handheld mode) or in compilations like TMNT: The Cowabunga Collection. I prefer looking at most games, even Game Boy games, on a TV, but don't mind playing Game Boy games on a handheld once in a while.

image.jpeg.62e88942de2154a0af81b7537d575355.jpeg

image.jpeg.baadc27b4330bc9065a445737505ee82.jpeg

image.jpeg.245228cd89e25fe70788c297d6885fe4.jpeg

Edited by MegaMan52
  • Like 2

I have the great fortune of being in the Analogue Pocket camp. The primary issue I had playing GB and especially GBC games on original hardware was the small, dim screens that were murder on my aging eyes. GB games were a little easier to deal with, thanks to the Super Game Boy but GBC games were pretty much off limits. The Analogue Pocket's screen is a complete revolution for me. I can finally SEE the games well enough to play them for more than a few minutes at a time and the form-factor is way more comfortable on my hands than the Color, GBA SP or even the DS Lite.

I can never go back. It's like rediscovering a whole library of games that I honestly thought I'd never get to explore again.

Edited by Webhead123
  • Like 1

12 hours ago, Splain said:

I ordered my Analogue Pocket forever ago, so I don't have it yet. 😒

99% of my GB playing is grey carts on an un-modded GBA SP. So it sticks out the bottom. If I were smarted and had more time, I'd mod a way to fit the entire cartridge into it, and use a different-shaped battery. I've actually spent some time on a few ideas. As soon as I find something feasible, the Analogue will arrive.

It might be coming soon.  I ordered my Game Gear Adapter last April and I got my notice earlier this week that I had til the 6th to update my address before it ships.

They might be produced entirely independently, but if you ordered one of those adapters too, then probably a +1 to your item basket has been added and I feel like Pockets have shipped faster than these extras.

• Like 1

Editorials Team · Posted
4 hours ago, RH said:

It might be coming soon.  I ordered my Game Gear Adapter last April and I got my notice earlier this week that I had til the 6th to update my address before it ships.

They might be produced entirely independently, but if you ordered one of those adapters too, then probably a +1 to your item basket has been added and I feel like Pockets have shipped faster than these extras.

I was about to respond with another snarky comment, but I checked my email and I got a shipping notification too! I ordered the Pocket with the GG adapter together. I'll be changing my answer once I join the Cool Kids Club.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Splain said:

I was about to respond with another snarky comment, but I checked my email and I got a shipping notification too! I ordered the Pocket with the GG adapter together. I'll be changing my answer once I join the Cool Kids Club.

It’s a real game changer, you’ll love it. I honestly couldn’t imagine going back to anything else.

Most of my game playing is handheld games these days and It’s definitely the best way to play handheld games. 

Administrator · Posted

Do be aware if you have/get the Analogue Pocket and the Dock, that the console doesn't exactly slide into the Dock seamlessly. It feels a lot like trying to plug something in at the back of a drawer where you can't use your eyes, so you'll end up with scratch marks all over the bottom of the Pocket. With the material used/finish of the Pocket itself, it ends up being really visible on the bottom.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1