IGNORED

How do you folks play Game Boy these days?

nesmaster14

Game Boy Gaming Setup Preference  

39 members have voted

1. 1. How do you play Game Boy (GB/GBC, specifically) these days? Your go-to option.

• Stock original hardware (GB/GBC), handheld
    • Modded original hardware (GB/GBC), handheld
    • Original hardware w/ oldschool accessories (Wormlight, magnifier, etc, feel free to specify)
    • Consolized Oldschool - Super Gameboy, Wideboy 64, Gameboy Player, etc.
    • Consolized Modern - a modern consolized gameboy solution using original hardware
    • FPGA - MiSTer
    • FPGA - Analogue Pocket
    • GBC? gbcsucks why are u asking and why am I reading this
    • GB/GBC on later model Nintendo Gameboy handheld (GBA/SP/etc.)
    • Other clone system/handheld
    • Gameboy Pocket
    • Gameboy Light (japan)
    • Emulation (handheld) -- Switch, Steamdeck, Smartphone, PSP, etc.
    • Emulation (controller/docked/keyboard) -- PC, Raspberry Pi/etc. -- or any emulator system used in Docked/controller mode

Wow, some good and unexpected responses here.  Sure enough, there's even more ways to play GB/GBC I hadn't thought about (like Super NT/FPGA w/ Super Gameboy).  Also, I had an emulation category in my notes but missed it on the poll.  I might update it a bit.  I think it generally covers the range though.  There'd be 50+ options otherwise.

Also, good point about playing on handheld -- if the power goes out you can still game! (unless you have an unmodded GB/GBC where you'll need to find a candle to see the screen Lol).  +1/-1 for GB handheld

I can definitely understand the benefits of playing GB/GBC outside of stock hardware nowadays.   With some folks still playing the original toasters and CRT for the contests, I thought for sure more folks would be playing OG Gameboy/Color via handheld too haha.  I guess I'm in the minority enjoying an unmodded GBC handheld, at least at the moment.

Edited by nesmaster14
added (gasp) emulation to poll.

58 minutes ago, nesmaster14 said:

Wow, some good and unexpected responses here.  Sure enough, there's even more ways to play GB/GBC I hadn't thought about (like Super NT/FPGA w/ Super Gameboy).  Also, I had an emulation category in my notes but missed it on the poll.  I might update it a bit.  I think it generally covers the range though.  There'd be 50+ options otherwise.

Also, good point about playing on handheld -- if the power goes out you can still game! (unless you have an unmodded GB/GBC where you'll need to find a candle to see the screen Lol).  +1/-1 for GB handheld

I can definitely understand the benefits of playing GB/GBC outside of stock hardware nowadays.   With some folks still playing the original toasters and CRT for the contests, I thought for sure more folks would be playing OG Gameboy/Color via handheld too haha.  I guess I'm in the minority enjoying an unmodded GBC handheld, at least at the moment.

I used to play GB and GBA on original hardware but the pocket has been such a game changer that I can’t see myself ever going back to original hardware now. The sleep function is great for quick sessions too.

Plus with the adapters or with jailbreaking it you can add other systems.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Brickman said:

I used to play GB and GBA on original hardware but the pocket has been such a game changer that I can’t see myself ever going back to original hardware now. The sleep function is great for quick sessions too.

Plus with the adapters or with jailbreaking it you can add other systems.

Yeah, and for the convenience factor I often play NES games on this thing for the weekly comps.  Since they are unofficial FPGA cores, there are no filters for it, but it’s great for playing Pinball or Rad Racer.

• Agree 1

On 8/3/2023 at 7:22 PM, nesmaster14 said:

Thought it'd be fun to hear folks setups/and or ideal setups.   The poll above I think covers most options, but feel free to discuss!  Also, I separated Pocket because I feel that's a more uncommon go-to option, but we'll see (I actually had one in the day too).

There is a small upside to using a Gameboy Pocket over something newer. Almost all the newer systems (including Analogue Pocket) can't play Wisdom Tree carts, so if you really can't live without the experience of reading the King James Bible on a small non-backlit screen, then Gameboy Pocket is the way to go

• Like 1

Graphics Team · Posted

I play GameBoy games through RetroArch on a multi-cade.

Sometimes it takes a while to get used to seeing those graphics blown-up way bigger than they were intended to be, but it makes handheld games feel just as "significant" as home-console games, if that makes any sense.

Plus, everything is more fun with an arcade panel (even if a control-pad technically works better for things like handheld puzzlers).

[T-Pac]

• Like 1

Seeing that set of comments after my last, to be clearer

For GB/SuperGB/Black GB carts when I said using Super Gameboy I use that over a SuperNT (though I do have SD methods with Supaboy S which seems sicko to do that, and a DK Super Set I have put up.)

And for GBA there's the GB Player, which on my Cube has an external Zeldaxpro HDMI adapter so it's really sharp as well.

On the GBC. I've made a thread about this, it's the 1st generation that truly utilizes the GB games potential. Original, GB and Light all suffer from motion blurr that isn't merely an annoyance but to the point that you'll actually lose. 

Also the ergonomics (that aren't first version GBA to be precise). Never owned a SP. I've dabbled in everything from OG to 1st GBA and also Super Game Boy, with a SNES controller and also the SGB dedicated one. I might go back to these different experiences but the main one remains tthe GBC!

• Like 1

I really enjoy the Super Gameboy. Can change up the background depending on the time of day/game you're playing. Go legit with the OG gameboy background... Love that. 

But I also enjoy taking the 'ol GameBoy out on a sunny day, indoors, and playing through Super Mario Land. Maybe a little Tetris. What a fucking experience. 🫠

But if I want to play a longer game (Kirby's Dreamland) or anything else really, haha... I'll be using the Super Gameboy. 

I mean... if we're talking on the go, I don't mind throwing a GameBoy game into my SP... but I wouldn't do that while sitting around the house... obviously? 

The technology that allows a gameboy game to be played on a giant 19 inch CRT is so unbelievable I would never dare try anything different. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, AirVillain said:

I mean... if we're talking on the go, I don't mind throwing a GameBoy game into my SP... but I wouldn't do that while sitting around the house... obviously?

I sometimes do that. SP has a really good set of buttons and what I'd say is my favorite d-pad. Nice and clicky, and very flat so it does not dig into the thumbs as a SNES controller

• Confused 1

Just now, AirVillain said:

Excuse Me What GIF by Bounce

SNES controller dig into your thumbs....? It's so smooth.... like butter.... 

Technically an SFC controller (I was being a cheapskate and went with the cheaper Japanese version), but yeah it does sort of dig in at times. It's a bit worn down so maybe I'm just instinctively pressing down too hard

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Ankos said:

Technically an SFC controller (I was being a cheapskate and went with the cheaper Japanese version), but yeah it does sort of dig in at times. It's a bit worn down so maybe I'm just instinctively pressing down too hard

Don't grip the stick too hard, man! 😆

I find myself doing that, though, for sure, haha. 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 8/3/2023 at 4:24 PM, MrWunderful said:

Analogue Pocket, exclusively. There is nothing better.

isn't that the one I've seen where the cart wiggles with minimal force and can freeze your game? that's the gif I've seen lately.

anyway, I play gb on everything. i play on every OEM system, from dmg to micro and every step in between, plus emulators and super game boy. About the only ways i don't play are on game boy player (sold my GameCube), modern mod screens (they look bad), and new emulation handheld systems that come out of China every week (had I've one once and they are too poorly built and not adequately supported).

One of the cooler ways to play game boy is on retroarch running on an oculus quest. You can blow the game up onto a giant virtual screen and play anywhere. Very cool stuff.