IGNORED

How do you folks play Game Boy these days?

nesmaster14

Game Boy Gaming Setup Preference  

39 members have voted

1. 1. How do you play Game Boy (GB/GBC, specifically) these days? Your go-to option.

• Stock original hardware (GB/GBC), handheld
    • Modded original hardware (GB/GBC), handheld
    • Original hardware w/ oldschool accessories (Wormlight, magnifier, etc, feel free to specify)
    • Consolized Oldschool - Super Gameboy, Wideboy 64, Gameboy Player, etc.
    • Consolized Modern - a modern consolized gameboy solution using original hardware
    • FPGA - MiSTer
    • FPGA - Analogue Pocket
    • GBC? gbcsucks why are u asking and why am I reading this
    • GB/GBC on later model Nintendo Gameboy handheld (GBA/SP/etc.)
    • Other clone system/handheld
    • Gameboy Pocket
    • Gameboy Light (japan)
    • Emulation (handheld) -- Switch, Steamdeck, Smartphone, PSP, etc.
    • Emulation (controller/docked/keyboard) -- PC, Raspberry Pi/etc. -- or any emulator system used in Docked/controller mode

24 minutes ago, koifish said:

isn't that the one I've seen where the cart wiggles with minimal force and can freeze your game? that's the gif I've seen lately.

anyway, I play gb on everything. i play on every OEM system, from dmg to micro and every step in between, plus emulators and super game boy. About the only ways i don't play are on game boy player (sold my GameCube), modern mod screens (they look bad), and new emulation handheld systems that come out of China every week (had I've one once and they are too poorly built and not adequately supported).

One of the cooler ways to play game boy is on retroarch running on an oculus quest. You can blow the game up onto a giant virtual screen and play anywhere. Very cool stuff.

I think that complaint about the pocket is people complaining just to complain.  I use my exclusively for GB games.  I've never had an issue after logging several hours.

Also, I know this isn't about the Game Gear but my adapter finally arrived after about 18 months since purchase.  Yeah, IMHO, this is the only way to play Game Gear games too.  I like both original filters too.  There's the one that's similar to the original but with a tweaked contrast and then there's a more accurate portrayal that makes the pixels looks super-bright and washed out like the original.

I can't recommend this device enough if you have the money for it.  It's worth the wait if you purchase one now.

• Agree 1

2 minutes ago, RH said:

I think that complaint about the pocket is people complaining just to complain.  I use my exclusively for GB games.  I've never had an issue after logging several hours.

Also, I know this isn't about the Game Gear but my adapter finally arrived after about 18 months since purchase.  Yeah, IMHO, this is the only way to play Game Gear games too.  I like both original filters too.  There's the one that's similar to the original but with a tweaked contrast and then there's a more accurate portrayal that makes the pixels looks super-bright and washed out like the original.

I can't recommend this device enough if you have the money for it.  It's worth the wait if you purchase one now.

Agreed. Played heaps of GBA games and a few GB games and never had an issue. My carts sit in super tight and never move.

I get that Analogue charge a bit for their products and the shipping sucks but the Pocket is worth it if you’re big into handhelds. I think some people just like to complain.

If you’re into handheld gaming I’d go as far to say that the Pocket really is the best way to play handheld games. The GBA SP is also a great alternative but the size hurts my hands when I’m playing for long periods. And for GG, well yeah there’s no way I’d play on an original GG over the pocket 😆

1 hour ago, RH said:

I see, perhaps I'll check into it. The game gear would be a nice system to move off; As much as I'm a stickler for original hardware, I have little issue replacing the blurry mess that was the GG screen.

1 hour ago, Brickman said:

Agreed. Played heaps of GBA games and a few GB games and never had an issue. My carts sit in super tight and never move.

I get that Analogue charge a bit for their products and the shipping sucks but the Pocket is worth it if you’re big into handhelds. I think some people just like to complain.

If you’re into handheld gaming I’d go as far to say that the Pocket really is the best way to play handheld games. The GBA SP is also a great alternative but the size hurts my hands when I’m playing for long periods. And for GG, well yeah there’s no way I’d play on an original GG over the pocket 😆

I recall now that I did try one from a guy at a con last year. It felt okay, I'm not sure I would leave my handhelds though. I'll consider it perhaps moving forward though.

I just use an original modded Gameboy as it makes the most sense just using what Nintendo made, except for a nicer lit up screen.  I wouldn't touch the analogue device, they never make enough, charge too much, then at least with the pocket and it's dock have product issues.  Wasn't this thing shaving off game gear and gameboy stickers?

7 hours ago, VmprHntrD said:

I just use an original modded Gameboy as it makes the most sense just using what Nintendo made, except for a nicer lit up screen.  I wouldn't touch the analogue device, they never make enough, charge too much, then at least with the pocket and it's dock have product issues.  Wasn't this thing shaving off game gear and gameboy stickers?

That was the first thing I checked and no, not at all.

I am not an AP zealot.  I really appreciate the item for it’s quality hardware and software but if I do run into issues, I’d voice my opinions and warn people the be cautious or maybe even steer clear of the device.  

I can’t speak for the dock, but the GG games handle just fine.  If you had a game with nasty label lift, I could see that bending up your label.  But you know what? So could the original GG. You have a few millimeters clearance as the game goes in.  The cartridge has to be snug a little because all machines do that to keep them from rocking.  Again, even an OG Game Gear does this.

I think a few people stuck their games in the thing, saw them get damaged and complained without asking if they were the cause.  It wouldn’t surprise me if those same people (much like myself) don’t even own a functioning Game Gear anymore, so they didn’t have the label lifting and tearing experience until they stuck the game in the first game slot it’s been stuck in for 20 years.

Well you know I had one and ditched it.  It did rub up on the Game Gear games where the label wasn't 100% flush so after a shove/peel began to start, I removed it to stop any real issues.  Maybe the gameboy slot is fine, or Nintendo inset the stickers just a tad bit more (1mm?) but the GG games have been victims of the adapter.  The label thankfully was a cheap game so I didn't care much as I could lay it flat again.  Not a concern now only have a GG. 🙂