IGNORED

Star Keeper NES - a copy sold for $450. Wow

acromite53

I am surprised to see a copy of this go for that much. From what I recall, it had a custom mapper so it couldn't be dumped. Or the ROM isn't out there online to play. This game is definitely one of the better homebrew games for the NES developed. I think about 100 copies were made by 87Arts. The early copies were Limited Edition and you could opt for custom text. They also had a unique number coded on the title screen.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Star-keeper-nes-homebrew-game-nintendo-CIB-Complete-rare-tested-/254327462715?hash=item3b37191b3b%3Ag%3AL1EAAOSwC4FdUAdr&nma=true&si=ig6XI4XlG4Lr6Jb3x%2Fzi3vRSLOc%3D&orig_cvip=true&nordt=true&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2557

20191101_000111.jpg

Edited by acromite53
  • Wow! 1

That is a good haul for that one, though if it shipped within Europe, the premium wouldn't surprise me, since fewer copies made it there versus buyers in the states.

Mine sold within the US for about $360 back in January, for reference.

And it went QUICK.  (though not as quick as my Super Bat Puncher :P)

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Tulpa said:

That's one I kind of regret not getting.

I didn't have as high an opinion of the gameplay value as others seem to, so other than the eventual cash-in (or if you were trying for a "complete" homebrew collection) I don't think you missed anything worth worrying about.

If you manage to play it at a meet-up or convention, you'll have had about all the fun you'll ever want to have with it, IMO. 

4 minutes ago, MrWunderful said:

Mine sold for about that. 450$ if I remember. As soon as I saw how much @arch_8ngel went for, put mine up immediately.  

Yeah, there was nothing recent when I sold mine (same with SBP), so I was treading into unknown territory with old information and throwing up what I thought at the time was a fairly high price.

I think I did BIN with best offer and took a best offer (probably had it listed at $400, though -- but too far back to see the eBay records without digging through my email).

10 minutes ago, jonebone said:

What's a Starkeeper and why is it so special?

3 minutes ago, MrWunderful said:

It was an NES homebrew from China that was really well made, and he had some sort of export troubles and he couldnt sell them outside of China (Someone correct me if Im wrong)

It made it highly desirable. 

There was fairly limited production and high initial demand, because it came out of nowhere unexpectedly.

That coupled with eBay listing difficulties (the not being able to sell from China thing).

For its time, it was perceived as really good quality AND it was pretty close on the heels of the super-limited Super Bat Puncher demo, so there was a HUGE Fear-of-missing-out factor at play.  

28 minutes ago, jonebone said:

What's a Starkeeper and why is it so special?

Couldn't disagree more with @arch_8ngel's evaluation of the gameplay. It is one of the most solid homebrews in that regard, particularly if you like arcade styled games. Art and music are top notch as well. It can be a bit difficult, but it is relatively fair.

It was able to be sold outside of China, he just had some hiccups on launch day.

Production was high as far as limited releases go (over 100), but the desirability is there due to gameplay.

• Like 4

15 minutes ago, SoleGoose said:

Couldn't disagree more with @arch_8ngel's evaluation of the gameplay. It is one of the most solid homebrews in that regard, particularly if you like arcade styled games. Art and music are top notch as well. It can be a bit difficult, but it is relatively fair.

It was able to be sold outside of China, he just had some hiccups on launch day.

Production was high as far as limited releases go (over 100), but the desirability is there due to gameplay.

I thought there were fewer than 100 out there, but I could be misremembering.

In terms of desirability due to gameplay, I just don't want someone thinking this thing has anywhere north of $100-worth of NES gameplay, unless they've had the opportunity to play it before.  (and I thought the original price on this one was pretty darn steep for the gameplay value)

But the larger point was that NOBODY PLAYED THE GAME prior to its release -- there were no demos.  So the original demand was almost all FOMO at work, along with the frenzy of dealing with the weird selling situation.

And as far as I know nobody that has paid the crazy prices for it played it prior to buying, because there is no way to easily do so  (so again,  SEEMS LIKE a bit of FOMO at work)

Edited by arch_8ngel

12 minutes ago, phart010 said:

My understanding is that some of these Chinese games used custom mappers that were designed with the famiclone hardware as the basis. Does this game work on NES or Famicom?

Yep it works fine on the original NES. I think somebody in the original thread had problems on an aftermarket clone like a yobo or retron.

Just now, Fleck586 said:

OK. You go first and let me know what happens.  LOL!

Haha. I am not the type that usually sells things from the collection... a few people on here make comments like "Forever trapped in JD's vault" and "Never to see the light of day". 

Just very tempting when bringing in these prices. 

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, dewisp02 said:

Haha. I am not the type that usually sells things from the collection... a few people on here make comments like "Forever trapped in JD's vault" and "Never to see the light of day". 

Just very tempting when bringing in these prices. 

I'm the exact same way.  If I don't have a double, it usually doesn't go anywhere.  I did sell off a bunch of Genesis premiums like MUSHA and Crusader of Centy a few years back to complete my licensed NES set, though, so you never know.  I'd gladly trade my copy of Star Keeper for a Sealed Master Edition of Breath of the Wild, though, so that's what makes me consider selling this one.