IGNORED

Star Keeper NES - a copy sold for $450. Wow

acromite53

14 hours ago, fcgamer said:

I don't think it's necessary to do some sort of full hypocrite disclosure when posting one's opinions on a gaming forum.

I also own one of these, and have also been saying for years that the game is not great. Then again, neither are the Super A'can games, they are not great either, when compared to the price point. 😉

You ask why the game has captured so much attention? It goes back to the history of the game and its release, as well as the history of NES homebrew as well, imo, ranging from the early years (i.e. Chris Covell and the early impressive tech demos before then) up until now.

A game such as this is quite significant to the history of NES homebrew scene; other titles I'd also value up there would be the early Christmas carts, Garage cart, etc. To compare it to the Super A'can, for example, that's a machine on an equal footing to the Tiger Game.com, i.e. a mediocre machine without much oompf to back it. Yeah, some people tried to artificially inflate the prices and popularity, but at the end of the day there's 12 mediocre 16-bit seen-it-all-before games, with the historical significance resting on an ethnicity, i.e. that Taiwanese people made it for a Taiwan market. On the other hand, with something like Star Keeper, it falls into a much broader historical area, of general NES homebrew, so it should be quite obvious why this would be a significant piece from the early years....

LOL, Wow. 

First, I was saying hypocrite, because I'm saying "it's not worth that" because, clearly it is to me, otherwise I'd sell my copy for what it's currently going for. It was meant as sort of a tongue-in-cheek, pointing out the irony of what I was saying. 

Also, Star Keeper is far, far, far, from being an "early" homebrew. I'm pretty certain Battle Kid 1 & 2 were out by that point, and the field of homebrew was already pretty flooded. It wasn't particularly impressive as far as design goes. It's an OK game, but it's only a strangely unique game for being released in limited quantities, from China, and is currently undumped. It really isn't as historically special as you're making it out to be. 

You insulting the Super A'can left and right is pretty hilarious. A 16 bit system with fun games is 100% the exact same level as a handheld with absolutely awful screen lag. 

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, DarkKobold said:

Also, Star Keeper is far, far, far, from being an "early" homebrew. I'm pretty certain Battle Kid 1 & 2 were out by that point, and the field of homebrew was already pretty flooded. It wasn't particularly impressive as far as design goes. It's an OK game, but it's only a strangely unique game for being released in limited quantities, from China, and is currently undumped. It really isn't as historically special as you're making it out to be. 

You insulting the Super A'can left and right is pretty hilarious. A 16 bit system with fun games is 100% the exact same level as a handheld with absolutely awful screen lag. 

To address your points:

1. I never said Star Keeper was an early homebrew game. You should go back and reread exactly what I wrote. 1998 or 1999 is around the time when we first started getting actual homebrew games, then around 2007 or 2008 is around the time we started getting homebrew games that we could purchase on cartridges. Yes, two years later we had Battle Kid and two years after that, Battle Kid 2, and then in 2014 Star Keeper. Now in 2024, look at the quality and wide array of homebrew games, a lot more progress has been made in the past five or six years than in the previous twenty. 

If we divide homebrew into two periods, Star Keeper falls into the earlier period. That's something that made it significant, this was the point where people started realizing, "Hey, there are some fun homebrew games that amount to something coming out". We had that with the Battle Kid games a few years earlier, but that was it more or less, as well as some simple clones of games.

2. Tiger Game.com had the online stuff, seems like that was sort of a big deal at the time.

3. I find it even more hilarious how you keep saying about how the Super A'can has such fun games, when the bulk doesn't amount to much. 

tl;dr Star Keeper has historical significance for homebrew for many reasons, it's sort of a situation where one had to be there and been following it to understand it.

2 hours ago, fcgamer said:

To address your points:

1. I never said Star Keeper was an early homebrew game. 

If we divide homebrew into two periods, Star Keeper falls into the earlier period.

tl;dr Star Keeper has historical significance for homebrew for many reasons, it's sort of a situation where one had to be there and been following it to understand it.

OK, gotcha. It's not early. Just earlier. Great clarification. A++. And that constitutes many reasons. 

On 1/26/2024 at 2:01 PM, DarkKobold said:

Full hypocrite disclosure: I own this from the original NA sales thread, and I would not sell it at the price it's currently going for. 

I.... was there. 

24 minutes ago, DarkKobold said:

OK, gotcha. It's not early. Just earlier. Great clarification. A++. And that constitutes many reasons. 

I.... was there. 

Right, but you need to look at it in the bigger context of homebrew from late nineties until now, something very few were following back then aside from NES dev members. So I suspect you weren't...there. if you were following everything at the time, you wouldn't be asking the question as to the significance of this game 😛

Edited by fcgamer
  • Haha 1