IGNORED

Star Keeper NES - a copy sold for $450. Wow

acromite53

Homebrew Team · Posted
13 minutes ago, RegularGuyGamer said:

I sold my copy in 2015 for $325 so I can believe it. I can't see it going much higher than it is now though. 

Well hold on to your hat.  Right now there is a listing for $800 on ebay.  Watching to see if it sells.  It does have a OFFER option as well, so I don't know if we will ever know.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/114394903165

Just now, Deadeye said:

Well hold on to your hat.  Right now there is a listing for $800 on ebay.  Watching to see if it sells.  It does have a OFFER option as well, so I don't know if we will ever know.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/114394903165

I actually just saw that! Haha. 

Still, I don't see why the game would go for more than $500. I didn't think it was a particularly fun game. It was graphically nice especially for as far as Homebrews go. 

Idk I would be surprised if it stays up. Although time walk games have seemed to stayed at high prices. Extra Mario Bros has a bid for $350 or $400 right now! So crazier things can happen lol. 

Homebrew Team · Posted
2 minutes ago, RegularGuyGamer said:

Extra Mario Bros has a bid for $350 or $400 right now! So crazier things can happen lol

What????  But Extra Mario Bros it a ROM hack put on cart many different people, I have  a ton of options to buy it if I wanted to.  You have a link?

Homebrew Team · Posted

@RegularGuyGamer this doesn't make any sense... 

Well that's it, I am flashing ROM hacks and selling them on Ebay for $$$.  Just got to put RARE and Needs Grading in the title and I am good to go.  See you on the other side.

P.S. How can you say sealed in box when you lay out all the contents for the picture >_>

Just now, Deadeye said:

@RegularGuyGamer this doesn't make any sense... 

Well that's it, I am flashing ROM hacks and selling them on Ebay for $$$.  Just got to put RARE and Needs Grading in the title and I am good to go.  See you on the other side.

P.S. How can you say sealed in box when you lay out all the contents for the picture >_>

CIB is not sealed lol

@Deadeye I never really understood the draw to ROM hacks as collectors pieces. I have a few but there no way I would consider them to be like a center piece of my collection. I can't wrap my head around why someone would pay big money for a Time walk game. Maybe bc of the history of the company? Since they did the ducktales release and got shut down afterwards. 

Idk maybe something can enlighten me. Same with Star Keeper. The game is so damn hard you can't get past the third damn level. 

I know the game is exclusive and rare but at a certain point I want my games to be good and playable. That's why went I got a nice offer on star keeper I didn't hesitate to sell. 

@RetroX85 you might be waiting until we're in the ground. NES knows no dump. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, RegularGuyGamer said:

@Deadeye I never really understood the draw to ROM hacks as collectors pieces. I have a few but there no way I would consider them to be like a center piece of my collection. I can't wrap my head around why someone would pay big money for a Time walk game. Maybe bc of the history of the company? Since they did the ducktales release and got shut down afterwards. 

The only ROM hack I ever paid meaningful money for was the Zelda hack that required an MMC5 donor cartridge (since it wasn't supported on flash carts at the time).

It wasn't hugely expensive ($100? at the time?) and I was able to flip it for a gain after I had my fun playing through it a couple of times.

But at least some amount of the expense was justified by the unique hardware requirements of the cartridge, inherently limiting supply.

The Timewalk stuff, on the other hand... I agree.  Never saw the appeal, at all.

Events Team · Posted
4 minutes ago, arch_8ngel said:

I took his comment more as saying it doesn't have a dumped ROM for emulation.

And while it was definitely a fun game... I was glad to be be able to sell it for the amount that I did last year.

Yeah that makes sense.  It's some kind of unique mapper I understand. 

28 minutes ago, arch_8ngel said:

The only ROM hack I ever paid meaningful money for was the Zelda hack that required an MMC5 donor cartridge (since it wasn't supported on flash carts at the time).

Was that Outlands?

28 minutes ago, arch_8ngel said:

The Timewalk stuff, on the other hand... I agree.  Never saw the appeal, at all.

Not condoning the stuff, but I think the main appeal was the professionally made boxes and what not. It was also at a time when repros and fakes weren't quite as rampant. They'd have a very different reception if they were released today, IMO.

Edited by Tulpa

3 hours ago, Tulpa said:

Was that Outlands?

Not condoning the stuff, but I think the main appeal was the professionally made boxes and what not. It was also at a time when repros and fakes weren't quite as rampant. They'd have a very different reception if they were released today, IMO.

No, Outlands used a standard cartridge, though I did buy that one on cartridge WAY back in the day, because that was before flashcarts were even a thing. 

Legend of Link was the MMC5 conversion.

Honestly, there was nothing all that special about the boxes Timewalk was putting out. Multiple other people at that time already had diecutters and were doing the same thing, just as well.  And I completely disagree about the "weren't quite as rampant" comment -- if anything Timewalk stuff was selling for crazy prices at the PEAK of repro production. They somehow just lucked into people thinking "limited editions" of reproductions should "matter", tapping into the excitement around LE homebrew production (and product confusion).

24 minutes ago, arch_8ngel said:

Honestly, there was nothing all that special about the boxes Timewalk was putting out. Multiple other people at that time already had diecutters and were doing the same thing, just as well.  And I completely disagree about the "weren't quite as rampant" comment -- if anything Timewalk stuff was selling for crazy prices at the PEAK of repro production. They somehow just lucked into people thinking "limited editions" of reproductions should "matter", tapping into the excitement around LE homebrew production (and product confusion).

I disagree with your disagreement. Who else was doing said repros? Name names, give examples.

1 hour ago, Ferris Bueller said:

I disagree with your disagreement. Who else was doing said repros? Name names, give examples.

Flashback was right behind timewalk and IIRC they might've even overlapped. I remember when the guy from the company introduced himself on NA.

https://www.shopflashbackgames.com/index.php?main_page=index&cPath=75_67

Edited by BriGuy82
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, captmorgandrinker said:

Rose Colored Gaming off the top of my head.

And Vince was making comparable boxes way before Timewalk got big.

I mean, he wasn't making "CIB sets" like Timewalk/Rosecolored were doing, but he was making the boxes to pair with other makers' cartridges.

My point was more that "CIB" for reproductions always seemed silly to me in the first place, and really only served to confuse people about genuine homebrew releases.

2 hours ago, Ferris Bueller said:

I know you were into pretty much everything Timewalk back then, and I'm not disputing that they certainly pumped out the most content and made the biggest business out of it.

But there were multiple other people die-cutting printed boxes (Vince was in that scene before Timewalk was even a thing, and there were a few others that the various actual homebrewers used over the years).  It was long enough ago that I don't have names other than Vince at the ready.  But he was definitely not the only guy doing box-only runs.

19 hours ago, captmorgandrinker said:

Rose Colored Gaming off the top of my head.

Came after, he bought out Timewalk's inventory. Not physical, but the graphic designs and templates. RCG exists because TW didn't.

18 hours ago, BriGuy82 said:

Flashback was right behind timewalk and IIRC they might've even overlapped. I remember when the guy from the company introduced himself on NA.

https://www.shopflashbackgames.com/index.php?main_page=index&cPath=75_67

Again, might be a slight overlap at the beginning, but they got big after TW went away and they, along with others, filled the hole. If TW had continued, they might've been competitors.

17 hours ago, arch_8ngel said:

I mean, he wasn't making "CIB sets" like Timewalk/Rosecolored were doing, but he was making the boxes to pair with other makers' cartridges.

So then, he wasn't doing what they were doing. Especially with SNES, which is what made TW well known, they were doing CIB releases for SNES RPGs with full size maps and manuals, sealed.

My point was more that "CIB" for reproductions always seemed silly to me in the first place, and really only served to confuse people about genuine homebrew releases.

You completely discount the fact that without the CIB repros, we wouldn't have CIB homebrews. It's a progression, things start with repros and moved to homebrews. I would assert you don't have one without the other.

I know you were into pretty much everything Timewalk back then, and I'm not disputing that they certainly pumped out the most content and made the biggest business out of it.

This is amusing to me, because I wasn't.

For the Aftermarket Archive, I picked up repros that I considered important or limited, like RetroZone's SMB2j to complete his set or say the tins from way back in the day for Mario Adventure because they were among the first and different. But Timewalk wasn't limited, and it seemed as if they would continue to pump out Final Fantasy VI as long as someone ordered it. They were doing big things, but they were more expensive and to be honest, I couldn't afford them. Which sucks, because I paid a lot more not just getting them when I had the chance. 

Why do I think they're important? It was never officially confirmed, but I believe they received a Cease and Desist from Nintendo, making them, if that is correct and I am correct, the first know repro maker to be shut down by Nintendo. If Stadium Events is such a big deal to people because it's a "recalled" game, then to me the first company to get shuddered by NoA should be a big deal in the Aftermarket world. Even if that wasn't the case, I think the ripples of them closing went across the internet, whether it was people quitting that business model soon after or people coming in to fill the void they left.

But there were multiple other people die-cutting printed boxes (Vince was in that scene before Timewalk was even a thing, and there were a few others that the various actual homebrewers used over the years).

Uncle Tusk, NESCity, and the guy who made everything to order... I'm forgetting his name/website, but pretty sure they're still around, he did I think the Time Eon Man CIB and those early releases.

This is all of the top of my head and could be incorrect, I did not go check any of my records. Feel free to tell me where I'm wrong.

Edited by Ferris Bueller