IGNORED

What are you currently playing?

Reed Rothchild

3 hours ago, MrWunderful said:

Anyone playing chained echoes on the switch or steam? It’s a modern 16 bit style turn based RPG that is pretty good.  Interesting battle system, solid visuals, and a great soundtrack with a fun modern political satire type storyline. 

I'm about 8 hours in playing through game pass on my steam deck and completely agree.

I just beat Metroid on the NES for the first time ever! I think it's a great game, but I did need a walkthrough and also I still think I prefer more linear type games. That said, I do think it was great, and I'm going to take 2 on the Game Boy and finally Super Metroid next, also both being for the first time ever. Feels good to knock some classics off the back catalog!

• Like 5

20 minutes ago, CodysGameRoom said:

I just beat Metroid on the NES for the first time ever! I think it's a great game, but I did need a walkthrough and also I still think I prefer more linear type games. That said, I do think it was great, and I'm going to take 2 on the Game Boy and finally Super Metroid next, also both being for the first time ever. Feels good to knock some classics off the back catalog!

I've always liked OG Metroid.

Don't get me wrong, Super Metriod is superior in just about every objective way, but something about the 8 bit graphics and music, the minimalist yet expressive atmosphere, and the fact that they made all that in 1986 just hits right.

• Like 2

Graphics Team · Posted
On 1/12/2023 at 5:24 PM, CodysGameRoom said:

Wow - first you beat both of the Kid Icarus games, and now Metroid, too? What a way to start the year, dude.

I really need to try my hand at more of those "staple" titles, too.

-CasualCart

• Like 1

8 hours ago, CasualCart said:

Wow - first you beat both of the Kid Icarus games, and now Metroid, too? What a way to start the year, dude.

I really need to try my hand at more of those "staple" titles, too.

-CasualCart

You are seeing my pattern! It was a bit of a resolution of mine. Get some more classics down. 

Administrator · Posted

Playing Divinity: Original Sin 2 on PC. Love this type of game and this is among if not (currently) the finest example. Right up there with Baldur's Gate, and it's no surprise that Larian are the ones making BG3, which I'm really looking forward to (and have played the demo for way too many times).

• Like 1

Dissidia Final Fantasy Opera Omnia.

Interestingly enough it is one of the best smartphone JRPGs I have ever played. And it was originally a way to motivate me to finally beat Final Fantasy VII. With me getting Jack's best weapon (shortly after I found a way to get him) making the game a bit more brutal on my end.

I put in a good chunk of time into Hollow Knight yesterday and the game has opened way up. There are a few upgrades that have really changed the game and now it's more in line with that I had envisioned going into it. Although I still feel like the start of the game has some flaws, I think that playing for small chunks of time and general bad luck with a few deaths really set me back that had little to do with the game itself. Another piece of health or a few small changes at the start of the game could definitely improve the quality of life aspect starting off.. you get burned pretty hard a few times for exploring dead end areas at the start of the game imo. Overall having a lot more fun now that movement/abilities have picked up and I have a few badge upgrades. 

167390383859231780162704873722.jpg.596f69f57878063d58b31ad68681b974.jpg

The new rig is all set up and it's time to game! Right now it's Kirby Return to Dreamland for wii! Very fun Kirby game! I don't know if I'm loving it enough to get the HD remaster coming out soon, but I am enjoying it very much, having a big Kirby romp with the kids eight now makes it a huge plus!

I've been playing Go Vacation on the Wii. It's an open world resort game, but also a mini game collection. While the mini-games are surprisingly good for a mini game collection, it's the open world resort part that's more interesting to me. The game is kind of a technical marvel considering it's on the Wii, and I have no idea how they got it running at all.

What I found out tonight though is that the previous games in the series didn't have the mini games at all, and were focused more on the open world aspect. We Ski only has the snowy mountain location, but it grades you on skiing in a way I wished it did in Go Vacation.

Go Vacation does have the benefit of doing everything it can to make you fall in love with the Miis though, which I had never had an interest in before this game.  I gotta make some Miis I can use as main characters for the We Ski series.

I've been combing through my some of my unlicensed titles to try and record some footage of the ones that don't work in emulators. Just got done beating a Megaman-esque one by Gowin called Magic Lamp. The manual shows some unused stuff, like a password that does not work, and an enemy that never appears

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, Ankos said:

I've been combing through my some of my unlicensed titles to try and record some footage of the ones that don't work in emulators. Just got done beating a Megaman-esque one by Gowin called Magic Lamp. The manual shows some unused stuff, like a password that does not work, and an enemy that never appears

I love that game.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, fcgamer said:

I love that game.

I have a love hate relationship with it. On the one hand the presentation and engine are both very good, on the other hand the level design can be kinda brutal. That last screen of stage 2, where you have to balance on a disappearing-reappearing foothold while you have to defeat a bulky enemy while it shoots at you, was definitely a process to get through. I think I like the game more now than I did previously though

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, Ankos said:

I have a love hate relationship with it. On the one hand the presentation and engine are both very good, on the other hand the level design can be kinda brutal. That last screen of stage 2, where you have to balance on a disappearing-reappearing foothold while you have to defeat a bulky enemy while it shoots at you, was definitely a process to get through. I think I like the game more now than I did previously though

I'll have to replay it sometime soon.

I don't specifically remember the spot you are talking about, but I don't remember having any particular trouble while playing through this game. Then again, back in those days (2012-2015 or so), I was travelling often and taking public transportation often, so I was always playing these unlicensed originals on my Game Boy Color while riding the train or bus. Beer + Game Boy + Unlicensed originals + Game Hunting + Idyllic Rice Fields out the Window = great times. 

Nowadays I just drive everywhere on my scooter and have little time to travel, the game shops are stripped of games and my Game Boy doesn't work so well either, haha. 

Either way, I must admit that I always get excited when I see an @Ankos post on here 😉

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, fcgamer said:

I don't specifically remember the spot you are talking about, but I don't remember having any particular trouble while playing through this game. Then again, back in those days (2012-2015 or so), I was travelling often and taking public transportation often, so I was always playing these unlicensed originals on my Game Boy Color while riding the train or bus. Beer + Game Boy + Unlicensed originals + Game Hunting + Idyllic Rice Fields out the Window = great times.

It is this part

I'm playing the original We Cheer; and despite it seeming worse than its sequel at a glance, the actual gameplay is more impactful and satisfying for a few key reasons. The most obvious reason is that the soundtrack is WAY better, which makes a mountain of difference in a music/dance game.

There's also way less filler, so the game just flows better. The character creator isn't so robust that you want to use it between EVERY song, and the achievement system doesn't exist at all. For those of you who dislike achievement systems, you understand why that's a good thing. 😉

There are some subtle things too that give the game a lot of punch. Something as simple as the transition to the results screen can make a huge impact when it's pulled off with style. It makes the victories more exciting, and the failures more crushing.

If anybody knew about these games at all, they'd be the kind of games that fans endlessly bicker over which one is better. The second game's good qualities are way easier to understand, but the original's more subtle good qualities are what fans would be infuriated trying to explain to people.

Luckily for me nobody cares about these games, so you'll just have to take my word for it! 😄

I just beat Super Metroid for the first time ever. Before I started playing it, I played it for about maybe 5 minutes total, testing out copies or whatever. For some reason it wasn't on my radar as a kid. 

It feels kinda like being a movie buff but for some reason you never watched The Godfather, then you did and you realized easily why everyone loves it.

I see why the game has the reputation it has. It really is an incredible and fun game. I did have to use a walkthrough a few times and I still prefer a more linear approach to games, but that said, it was very good and I could see myself playing it again trying to get the best ending. I am very happy to be knocking out these classics.

• Like 2

26 minutes ago, Aguy said:

DQ VIII on 3ds, it's been too long.

One of my favorite games! I thought both DQVII and VIII are masterpieces. About my only complaint in DQVIII is that the final boss is too easy, but not a big deal 🙂
Also, the 3DS version is the definitive version -- minor spoiler

Spoiler

In that version you can marry Jessica -- much preferable over the horse-princess 🥰

ja.jpg

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

8 hours ago, CodysGameRoom said:

I just beat Super Metroid for the first time ever. Before I started playing it, I played it for about maybe 5 minutes total, testing out copies or whatever. For some reason it wasn't on my radar as a kid. 

It feels kinda like being a movie buff but for some reason you never watched The Godfather, then you did and you realized easily why everyone loves it.

I see why the game has the reputation it has. It really is an incredible and fun game. I did have to use a walkthrough a few times and I still prefer a more linear approach to games, but that said, it was very good and I could see myself playing it again trying to get the best ending. I am very happy to be knocking out these classics.

It's a fantastic game, and was notable enough that it actually made me dig my Super Nintendo back out, go to Blockbuster, and rent a copy.  I ended up playing it nonstop one weekend and beating it before it needed to go back Sunday night/Monday morning (much to the annoyance of my girlfriend at the time, lol).  This also made it one of first of the few SNES games that I picked up at GameStop during the late 90s/early 00's, and the reason I dug out my SNES once again (and believed that the multi-out port on my SNES didn't work, as the cable I used from an N64 I'd been given didn't function on it).

If you weren't really a big fan of or grow up playing the original game, it's understandable that it just never hit high enough on your radar to pick it up previously.  There are plenty of games that get lauded by the public at large that I'm just not interested in based on description and advertising, so you're not at all unique in skipping/missing playing games that some proclaim as must-haves.  One thing to note is to beware playing it in any system with a less than tight cartridge slot.  I tried to play it several times in my RetroDuo Portable while on flights for work several years ago and ended up losing all save games, progress, etc., every time we hit a bit of turbulence, as the brief rocking of the cartridge was enough to lock up or reset the console, causing everything backed in battery RAM to eat it.  Should you have a dumper or something like a Retron 5 available, it's not a bad idea to go ahead and back up your save(s), just in case.

• Like 1