IGNORED

What are you currently playing?

Reed Rothchild

I'm working my way through Gremlins 2: The New Batch as part of the backlog challenge. The game starts off easy enough but some of the later stages have seem to have some aggravatingly cheap elements that are taking time to learn. At least the game offers unlimited continues and a password system but it doesn't make the cheesy parts themselves any less annoying.

In the meantime, I couldn't resist picking up the Metroid Prime Remaster and started my first return to the game since probably 2006. Reliving one of the greatest games ever made with fresh eyes has been wonderful so far. The level of attention Retro Studios gave to this remaster is just humbling.

2 hours ago, Webhead123 said:

At least the game offers unlimited continues and a password system but it doesn't make the cheesy parts themselves any less annoying.

Quite the opposite, I think continuing on this game can seriously catch you in a state that's hard to recover from because you lose the ability to rely on upgrades in the store. It makes practicing the later stages incredibly hard! 

1 hour ago, Sumez said:

Quite the opposite, I think continuing on this game can seriously catch you in a state that's hard to recover from because you lose the ability to rely on upgrades in the store. It makes practicing the later stages incredibly hard! 

There's some truth there and I've begun getting into the habit of starting all the way over when I feel myself getting caught in a "Gradius loop". It's frustrating because I think the game has some excellent qualities. Not surprising, being a Sunsoft game, but the graphics, music and controls are mostly excellent. It just feels like they designed a few spots to be artificially cheap to keep players from beating it right away.

Edited by Webhead123
  • Agree 1

2 hours ago, Reed Rothchild said:

FOMO rising

Exactly what Nintendo wants. A small company like LRG has in essence done away with FOMO, and yet here, arguably the most powerful and rich video game company in history purposely ensures production never meets demand. Nintendo has in many ways, always been a shitty company.

The Shady Side Of Nintendo

https://www.svg.com/252281/the-shady-side-of-nintendo/

52 minutes ago, darkchylde28 said:

Well, for the past ~4 hours or so, I was playing Pass The Kidney Stone!  The fact that I'm coherent and able to communicate again means I won!  I'll spare everyone and forego posting photos of the trophy I got for my achievement!  🤪

Glad you're feeling better! And, congrats on the win!

Season 5 Episode 3 GIF by Friends

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, avatar! said:

Glad you're feeling better! And, congrats on the win!

Season 5 Episode 3 GIF by Friends

Thanks!  I've got an inherited genetic predisposition for them, so I've gotten fairly used to them popping up now and again.  However, this one really whipped my butt like no other since the very first one I had.  Just glad to be out the other side in good shape beyond being a bit sore and weak.  Ended up having to sit my daughter down and explain how everything worked, as I think I scared her when she was coming to get me a pillow and I jumped up and ran off to pass it right when she showed up to help.  Fingers crossed she got her mother's kidneys, as I don't know how I'll deal with the guilt if she ends up with these things like I have and my dad before me did.

13 hours ago, a3quit4s said:

Metroid Prime Remastered. The physical version came out today. It was surprisingly hard to find for whatever reason. GameStop just happened to have a couple extra copies. None at Best Buy or Target. 

Obviously we don't know the numbers, but I wouldn't sweat about getting a copy. I think we will see more coming in the future and eventually a trilogy release. Plus, I guarantee a full 50% of these will be bought by speculators and readily available on the secondhand market down the road.

30 minutes ago, DoctorEncore said:

Obviously we don't know the numbers, but I wouldn't sweat about getting a copy. I think we will see more coming in the future and eventually a trilogy release. Plus, I guarantee a full 50% of these will be bought by speculators and readily available on the secondhand market down the road.

Oh yeah it’ll be a Super Mario 3D all stars or tiny troopers. I just wanted to find one because I have fuck all to do at work right now so I need a distraction during the day lol

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, a3quit4s said:

Oh yeah it’ll be a Super Mario 3D all stars or tiny troopers. I just wanted to find one because I have fuck all to do at work right now so I need a distraction during the day lol

I have been seriously tempted to buy it since Metroid Prime is one of my all-time favorite games (top ten for sure), but I'm playing The Witcher 3 and Final Fantasy X and need to focus my energies. Must be disciplined!

7 hours ago, Sumez said:

Question Mark What GIF by MOODMAN

LRG's entire business model is dependent on FOMO

But there is no fear of missing out when it's an open pre-order period, typically about one month, and you can order as many copies as you want. Contrast that with Nintendo's limited editions, which are sold-out months before a release!

I downloaded this from the Nintendo eshop for $2 and am working my way through it.  This clip is from the first levels - things ramp up with more elements and complexities as you go along.  Nothing super hard so far but they do make you think and restart as you go down blind alleys.  

I prefer physical releases but for $2 I can live with it for a lot of fun.

4 hours ago, avatar! said:

But there is no fear of missing out when it's an open pre-order period, typically about one month, and you can order as many copies as you want

You'll be missing out if you *don't* preorder them though! Even though it's an open preorder, they still only print that number of copies, so it's buy it there or take the chance with marked up second hand prices. It's very much a fomo model. 

Editorials Team · Posted

You're both right.

I no longer have to try and camp out at my computer at 8AM on release days, knowing I might not get a copy.

Instead it's replaced with the countdown of the preorder end, where I have to make a decision.

"Should I get Moonrider and Steel Assault with Powerslave?  Is it worth dropping $70 on games that take 3 hours to beat?  Will I regret it?  Or will I regret not adding them to the collection?"

I still haven't decided by the way.

• Like 1