IGNORED

What are you currently playing?

Reed Rothchild

3 hours ago, Reed Rothchild said:

Can you describe the GotG gameplay?  I'm incredibly hesitant to give it a shot even though it got a good reception and there have been plenty of good Marvel games in the last 10-15 years.  But then I see it on sale for $20 and tell myself to quit being silly...

Third Person Shooter/Graphic Adventure/RPG-lite

You play as Star Lord and just Star Lord, who mostly use guns and gets around on rocket boots.  But since you are kind of the team captain, you tell your other crew members what to do and what powers to use.  So you don't directly control the other characters, but their powers become your powers as you can easily call upon them in combat.  The coolest feature is usually once per big battle, you can do a team huddle, and if you say the right thing, you bring everyone back and inspire them with a huge buff.

Writing is really fantastic, and captures the humor well.  You get to decide what to say and how to handle situations, so there is a bit of a choose your own adventure feel to the story and some outcomes.  It really dives into the backstories of the characters, and sometimes you just want to hang out on the ship between missions and talk to everyone, just to see what new they have to say.

Edited by fox

10 hours ago, Reed Rothchild said:

Can you describe the GotG gameplay?  I'm incredibly hesitant to give it a shot even though it got a good reception and there have been plenty of good Marvel games in the last 10-15 years.  But then I see it on sale for $20 and tell myself to quit being silly...

9 hours ago, fox said:

Third Person Shooter/Graphic Adventure/RPG-lite

You play as Star Lord and just Star Lord, who mostly use guns and gets around on rocket boots.  But since you are kind of the team captain, you tell your other crew members what to do and what powers to use.  So you don't directly control the other characters, but their powers become your powers as you can easily call upon them in combat.  The coolest feature is usually once per big battle, you can do a team huddle, and if you say the right thing, you bring everyone back and inspire them with a huge buff.

Writing is really fantastic, and captures the humor well.  You get to decide what to say and how to handle situations, so there is a bit of a choose your own adventure feel to the story and some outcomes.  It really dives into the backstories of the characters, and sometimes you just want to hang out on the ship between missions and talk to everyone, just to see what new they have to say.

I can't put it any better than @fox already did, but here are a few of my thoughts.

Overall, it's just a really well-crafted game that punches way above its weight. The combat won't blow your socks off and is even kind of bad at first, but it can be really satisfying later on when everything clicks. It's a lot of fun to zoom around with your hoverboots, shooting the baddies while you activate your teammates' abilities and watch them absolutely dogpile onto the boss and stomp it into the ground. The huddles are super entertaining as well. Upgrade system is very straightforward and dumps the insanely complicated tech trees and crafting bullshit that dominates every game nowadays.

The highlight is definitely the story and character interactions. Everything is just really, really well-written and the voice acting is strong. I like all the characters and right from the start they seem like a family that you've known for years. The fight and argue and grow, but ultimately seem to really care about each other. Everyone has an interesting back story and their motivations are explored in thoughtful ways. Even the ancillary characters are great. After a few hours, these are now the default Guardians of the Galaxy in my brain instead of the movie actors.

I'm only about a third of the way through the game but I'm already hoping they'll make a sequel just so I can spend more time with these characters.

I'm not trying to oversell it. It's not a 10/10 game, but it is miles better than I expected and a lot of fun. Definitely worth $20 and 15-20 hours.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

Editorials Team · Posted
1 hour ago, G-type said:

Currently playing Ace Attorney 4: Apollo Justice... I have owned for years and never touched because my plan was to beat each game in the series in order (but I never got around to finishing #2), so I decided to just skip ahead.

I'm actually playing #2 right now

• Like 1

Deca Sports 2 continues! All four darts tournaments complete!

1128496522_DecaSports2LegendCupDartsVictory!ForumVersion.png.d6633d8bc2b396b5bbf13b5a93c95b4a.png

How to play: Point the cursor at the screen while holding the Wii remote on its side. Pinch the A and B buttons to hold the remote like a dart, and thrust the Wii remote forward to throw. Make sure to wear the wrist strap! 📺💥

If you've played a lot of motion control games on the Wii, you know that the system has a VERY hard time registering motions involving depth. Thankfully the thrust works perfectly, but the inability to lock your cursor in place as you thrust is the real problem.

If you want to win at this game, you have to set the Wii remote on a surface in order to keep your aim steady. Since you need to aim all over the board, the best thing you can set the Wii remote on is a curved armrest. Thrust the Wii remote hard and fast, but make sure to not push very far. This is the key to getting a perfectly straight shot, which is necessary to beat the A.I on even the easiest difficulty.

Once you hit the legend tournament, there are two important things to keep in mind if you plan to win.

• You REALLY want to go first. If you don't win the first toss, you're best advised to quit to the main menu right away in order to try again.
  • If the A.I needs 180 points or less in order to win, you're best advised to quit to the main menu and give up before they get their next turn. Once the A.I starts their turn, there's no way to quit to the main menu and restart the match. This means you'll have to start the whole tournament over again when they win, which they absolutely WILL win.

So long as you follow these two rules, all you have to do is shoot straight enough times to win! This sport wasn't as hard as tennis, but wasn't a total cakewalk like synchronized swimming. Overall this one was pretty fun, so Deca Sports 2 has scored 3/3 so far on fun mini-games!

Seven more sports left!

Sorry for the double post, but Deca Sports 2 road racing complete!

2099707379_DecaSports2LegendCupRoadRacingVictory!ForumVersion.png.0fc004417790bdbf2eab61ae695f1033.png
I thought it'd be more fun to have one guy on the squad, so Judy was kicked off the team in favour of Joel. I've also decided on what my team's colour scheme will be, so I think I'm finally done customizing my team. I also made Chelsea's hair a different shade of blonde than Rebecca's.

How to play: Hold the Wii remote sideways, and tilt left and right to steer. Press A to accelerate, and 2 to brake. Shake the Wii remote to pop a wheelie for quick acceleration, and shake a second time to end the wheelie.

This probably would have been difficult if I hadn't already 100% completed F-Zero Maximum Velocity, which taught me all the tricks I'd ever need for a game like this. The only real trick to this one is something I spotted right away, which is to turn off automatic breaking. In every racing game under the sun, everything that's automatic sucks and slows you down. Turn that crap off right away, and learn how to play the game without it from the very beginning.

There's not much to report about this one since it was pretty easy for me, but I will say that the steering is wonderful, and the braking is even more wonderful. The bikes handle really well, and the motion controls work flawlessly. There are three main race tracks, and an alternate version of each one with different paths. There's a surprising amount of content here for a mini-game, and I'll probably end up playing it a lot even though I've already finished the tournaments.

Of the four sports I've played so far, this was the second easiest. It was harder than synchronized swimming, but easier than darts and tennis.

Six sports left to go!

I've been working my way through A Plague Tale on Series X and it has really blown me away. The setting, characters, and story are unique and interesting and the gameplay is quite enjoyable. I often find beloved indie games to be overrated, but I've been pleasantly surprised with how good this one is. It reminds me a lot of Hellblade: Senua's Sacrifice in the way it approaches AAA quality with indie sensibilities. Definitely one of my favorite games I've played this year.

I've been playing the translated famicom RPG "The Magic Candle".  It's similar to the Dragon Warrior games, but has enough small differences to keep it from being called a clone.  It's pretty fun.  If you like DW, I would suggest giving it a try.  It isn't as grindy as DW, but can still be challenging at times.

https://www.romhacking.net/translations/2399/

• Like 1

Administrator · Posted

Started up Call of Duty Finest Hour on PS2 tonight. Needed a new pre-sleep game and what better than loud shooting right before bed? I've beaten the game many times before and I'm getting through easily on the default difficulty (Medium), but that's alright cuz I just need something I can play a level or two without much thought put into it while I relax. 

On 9/11/2022 at 1:15 PM, DoctorEncore said:

I've been working my way through A Plague Tale on Series X and it has really blown me away. The setting, characters, and story are unique and interesting and the gameplay is quite enjoyable. I often find beloved indie games to be overrated, but I've been pleasantly surprised with how good this one is. It reminds me a lot of Hellblade: Senua's Sacrifice in the way it approaches AAA quality with indie sensibilities. Definitely one of my favorite games I've played this year.

I got to the very end of A Plague Tale and it ruined it for me. By the time you get to the last chapter or two, I found it repetitive, and boring. I know games are meant to get more challenging towards the end, but one little mistake and you're back to the starting. Also, as much as I loved the environment and story at the start, by the end of the game I was really not invested in any of the characters. Just my opinion of course, but I'd be curious to hear your thoughts after completing the game.

I took a bit of a break to play something else, but I'm back to Deca Sports 2. All four kendo tournaments complete!

1583023149_DecaSports2LegendCupKendoVictory!ForumVersion.png.0565fd5d70cc4d045c87024747440665.png

How to Play: Hit left and right on the D-Pad to approach or back away from your opponent. Swing the Wii remote sideways to attack with a body shot. There's technically more to this game, but none of it matters.

Each kendo match consists of three rounds where two points win the round. Kendo rounds are often determined in the first three seconds, making these the shortest tournaments in the game.

The key to knowing what to do is in the first half second of the match, where you have to immediately notice if your opponent is walking toward or away from you. If they're walking away, take a step forward and do a body shot. If they're walking toward you, take a step back, then forward again, and do a body shot. If your eyes are quick enough, you'll win nearly every time.

I was able to complete all four Kendo tournaments in roughly forty minutes, having never once played it before. By far the quickest and easiest mini-game yet.

Five out of ten sports complete! We're at the half way point, doing great so far!

On 9/13/2022 at 3:17 PM, avatar! said:

I got to the very end of A Plague Tale and it ruined it for me. By the time you get to the last chapter or two, I found it repetitive, and boring. I know games are meant to get more challenging towards the end, but one little mistake and you're back to the starting. Also, as much as I loved the environment and story at the start, by the end of the game I was really not invested in any of the characters. Just my opinion of course, but I'd be curious to hear your thoughts after completing the game.

I'll have more to say in the Backlog thread, but I 100% get what you're saying. The last couple stages really do the game a disservice by adding way too much action into what is essentially a stealth game. It didn't ruin the game for me, but it is a real shame they couldn't tighten up the ending. Overall, I still really, really enjoyed the game.

Just finished Return to Monkey Island. Make no mistake, while I have some very minor quibbles with it, it does feel like a worthy successor to the rest of the series and I'm very glad that this project even saw the light of day.

I feel like the discussion about the change in art style overshadowed much of the game itself. And while I feel there are a few minor things lost in translation with this style (some loss of fidelity in backgrounds and character designs, as compared to, say, Curse), I have to admit that the art design pretty quickly drew me in as I was playing and became second-nature.

I've heard some people complain about lackluster voice acting from some of the supporting characters and I can agree with that in some cases. However, all of the voices that the game needed to nail were nailed. Guybrush, Elaine, Carla, Murray, even the new voice of LeChuck land perfectly. Yes, no one will ever truly replace Earl Boen's dastardly, rumbling tones but the new voice ended up working out. It is mostly some of the new supporting cast that give some underwhelming, one-note performances but none of it is so distracting that it ruins the game or anything. It helps that the writing is strong enough to carry even a less-than-stellar performance in some cases.

The story is charming and adventurous in all the ways I think an MI story should be. The revisited locations are given quite a nice homage, although the new locations feel pretty limited in scope and significance. The game plays with the right amount of nostalgia and winks to long-time MI players without being heavy-handed about it or outright requiring familiarity with past games in order for the story to make sense ("Ah! Papapishu!").

Even on the "Hard" mode, the puzzles were mostly pretty easy to figure out and none took more than a few minutes of searching and pondering but several of them did leave me feeling quite satisfied when I managed to catch on to the solution. There isn't much in the way of "moon logic" here and the few times that I needed to consult the hint book were mostly the result of me not noticing something in the environment or forgetting that I had a particular object in my inventory.

Finally, the ending seems like it could be the sort of thing that's very divisive. The game even alludes to the challenge inherent in concluding a story and series built on a premise like Monkey Island's. Considering the weight of decades of fan theories, expectations and the unavoidable circumstances of the fans and developers growing older and being changed by the passage of time...I think the kind of ending they went for is probably the best way they could have approached it. Seriously, no matter how anyone would have tried to conclude a long-standing and deeply-loved series like this, there would have been a portion of the fandom that would have been disappointed. While I don't think it's a perfect send off and it leaves me with more than a few questions to ponder...honestly, you can see a lot of heart at the center of the decisions that were made.

Long story short, I'm very glad to have seen this come to fruition and Return feels like a genuine "thank you" letter to players that have made MI the cultural landmark that it became. It isn't a perfect adventure game nor is it a perfect Monkey Island game but it is an excellent experience and one I think is worth having, even if you haven't played the previous titles.

I have a hard time ranking (most of) the MI games because they are each such unique experiences and have such strong qualities to them. It is probably close in quality to Curse and it's tough to tell how much nostalgia is playing a part in that judgement. I think Curse feels grander and more ambitious in scope, where Return feels more like the original game in some ways (which makes sense, I guess). LeChuck's Revenge is still top-banana for me and I always have a hard time deciding second place between Secret and Curse. But really, this is like picking your favorite filet mignon. No matter what you choose, you're getting excellence.

So yes, if you like adventure games even a little bit, this one is absolutely worth your time. And if you haven't played any of the previous games...just do it. You don't really have to worry about the Tales series or even Escape from MI, if you don't want to be bothered. But the others in the series are some of the best writing and piratey adventure video games can offer. Just treat yourself.

Edited by Webhead123
  • Like 1

Mystical Ninja Goemon Zero ( the canceled Working Designs localization of the original PS2 game ).  I'm only 2 dungeons in, but so far it's pretty good.  I was kind of prepared for the worst given the history of the game, but if you're a fan of Mystical Ninja for the N64, it's essentially more of the same ( wish they had retained the original character designs and humor though ).  On the plus side, they added in more RPG elements like the leveling system, equipment, magic, etc, so at least something was gained in the trade-off. 

Props to the Hidden Palace people and others who made it possible. 

Mystical Ninja Goemon Zero (Aug 26, 2005 prototype) - Hidden Palace

I've been playing Zelda 2- Amida's Curse, a romhack of Zelda 2.  It's a really cool hack that's very well done.  It even has it's own custom palette file for emulators.  I'm not the biggest Zelda 2 fan, but I've played almost all the way through this.

https://www.romhacking.net/hacks/6292/

Edited by CMR

I've been playing everything not on my backlog list. Sorry @Reed Rothchild 😞

I've been making my way through FE Path of radiance which I thought I had only played a little bit of but turns out I think I did finish this game because the further I get the more I remember the story. Oh well almost finished now so I'll see it through.

Also started Rune (sorry forgot the English name). I'm a big From Software fan but this is one I've never gotten around to playing. I'm only a couple missions in but I'm really loving it so far.

Finally, after @Sumez recommended Bug Fables in the Paper Mario thread I thought I'd check it out. He was right, it's definitely a game that rivals even the early Paper Mario games. I'm only a few hours in but it's got a great story so far, Vi is my favourite character so far, so funny.