IGNORED

What are you currently playing?

Reed Rothchild

1 minute ago, Reed Rothchild said:

I just beat it.  I loved it.  In my all time top 100.  Maybe top 50.  But I'm pretty high on games in general: certainly moreso than your average grump 😅

But it's definitely different from the regular Souls games in a few key ways, and some people take exception to that.

I actually like it when they try different mechanics and ideas. However, the reviews I read were things like "I love Dark Souls, and I made it half-way through Sekiro before rage quitting because it's just so hard and not fun..."
Some of the responses have been the expected "git gud" which I think is honestly a lame-ass excuse by obnoxious gamers. Still, I'd be up for giving it a go at some point. I honestly was disappointed to learn that the GoTY edition includes all bonus content as downloadable - lame ass shit by Sony that.

Editorials Team · Posted

I think the only real difference is that most Souls games give you an option to grind levels if you want to ease a fight (if not outright overpower it).  That's not really an option in Sekiro.

The GoTY is free DLC in all versions.  I never tried any of it.

11 minutes ago, Reed Rothchild said:

I think the only real difference is that most Souls games give you an option to grind levels if you want to ease a fight (if not outright overpower it).  That's not really an option in Sekiro.

The GoTY is free DLC in all versions.  I never tried any of it.

Did you get frustrated at all with Sekiro? How long did it take to finish?

Editorials Team · Posted
2 minutes ago, avatar! said:

Did you get frustrated at all with Sekiro? How long did it take to finish?

My PSN says 40 hours.  And yes I got very frustrated.  "Fucking stop dashing forward into the boss because I tried to do 3 things at once, Wolf!" *punches cushion*

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Reed Rothchild said:

...but I also did that with Smough-encrantz and Guil-Ornstein.  And the boss of Slay the Spire.  And Enter the Gungeon.  And Isaac.  And every other hard game. 

How dare you kick my ass game! 🤣

You like hard games eh 🙂

My problem with Slay the Spire is that it's just too RNG - I know some people say it's all skill and you just have to "git gud", but that's bullshite. When you start a major boss battle and during your "free turn" all you get is defense, and the next turn when the boss is doing major damage all you get is attacks... yeah, it's RNG bull.

But anyway, what is your list of hardest games?

15 hours ago, Reed Rothchild said:

I have unopened copies of Bloodborne, DS2, DS3, and Demon Remake.  And I keep waiting for a $30 sale on Elden Ring.

When you're gonna do DS2, I absolutely recommend playing the Scholar of the First Sin version right away. Also, probably do Bloodborne and DS3 first - DS2 is such a weird outlier it's probably best to go back later and approach it as its own thing, rather than a disappointing sequel.

To be perfectly honest, to anyone who's crazy enough to try it, I'd actually recommend playing a bunch of From Soft's earlier Souls-adjecent titles before DS2, because it shares a lot of the intangible qualities from those games.
Namely King's Field 2 and 4 ("1" and 4 in the west) and the first Shadow Tower.

Edited by Sumez

12 hours ago, Reed Rothchild said:

Personally I love that aspect of Sekiro. The reason I don't enjoy it anywhere near as much as I do the Soul/borne/elden ring games is exactly as @avatar!mentioned, the highly timing based combat, which I'm both bad at, and not very much fond of. If you try playing it as a Souls game you'll get your ass kicked.

I respect the game, and I also want FromSoft to try more different mechanics and approaches to the game, this one just isn't very much for me.

Playing the GameCube version of Resident Evil 4 on Professional difficulty: 

re4picture.jpg.64a8c4f26c1796a2bc6a230fc878b913.jpg

It's one of the games on my list in the backlog challenge topic. I've beaten the game on Normal difficulty several times, but this is my first time playing through it on Pro. It's pretty tough, but so far I've gotten to Chapter 4-1 (and I'm almost on 4-2).

Edited by MegaMan52

Well I've owned the game for over two years now, but I finally started playing Tokyo Mirage Sessions for Wii U. While I was initially turned off by the voice acting, I quickly discovered the option to turn it off. I always prefer reading text boxes over listening to voice acting in RPGs.

I went into Tokyo Mirage expecting nothing and knowing nothing, and I've been very surprised. I started the game on hard difficulty as I know that's the way to go with modern RPGs, and that seems to have been the right move. The fights can be an actual puzzle even early on when played on hard, which is exactly what I want out of a turn based RPG.

Speaking of which, seeing an actual turn based RPG with a fun battle system come out at all these days (well more like six years ago) is really refreshing. Turn based combat is always what I want to see in an RPG, as it's the main thing that sets an RPG apart from an action game that just shows damage values.

The story is pretty weird, but I've been enjoying it so far. It's kind of ridiculous, but still takes itself seriously enough that you can get invested in it. I'm a fan of the classic one note anime character archetypes, and this game has no shortage of them. So far we've got...

• Bland sleepy eyed protagonist who's oblivious to the charms of all the women who want him.
  • Incredibly charming childhood friend with giant boobs who's embarrassed about how much she loves the bland protagonist despite constantly being flirtatious with him.
  • The cool best friend who drives a motorcycle and constantly teases the bland protagonist about how much his childhood friend wants him.
  • The alcoholic yet sexy older woman of the group who flirts with the bland protagonist to tease his childhood friend, but probably wouldn't flinch for a second if he took her up on the offer.

Ya know, the usual. 🙂

So far I've finished the prologue and the first chapter, and I'm now starting something called the "Intermission". I've had way more fun with this game than I ever expected too, and I hope it stays good. My favourite thing so far though is that the first chapter actually resulted in a major victory for the heroes.

I can't stand it in RPGs when beating a major boss doesn't result in a significant shift in the game's plot. When the villains just shake it off and nothing good comes from beating them, it makes the fight feel like an unsatisfying rip off. RPGs have a nasty habit of dumping on the heroes without anything good happening to them, but the first chapter of Tokyo Mirage Sessions has an unexpectedly wonderful conclusion. I won't give anything away for those who haven't played it, but I genuinely got a little mushy at how happy it made me. 🥴

One chapter down, five more to go. That may make it sound like the game is short, but chapter 1 took me five hours to finish. 😅

Editorials Team · Posted

Elden Ring - Cruising.  After Sekiro, going back to rolling around like a doofus feels like easy mode.  

Etrian Odyssey 2 Untold - Jesus H.  This series (and Persona Q) is no stranger to vicious roadblock bosses, but I've been stuck on the Area 3 boss for weeks.  I finally relented and consulted the internet for some new ideas.  Will regroup tonight.

Stardew Valley - I can very clearly see the inspiration from the original Harvest Moon.  A good game to play while watching Netflix.  If you haven't read Blood, Sweat, and Pixels, I highly recommend it.

Ace Attorney 2 - On a short hiatus, but I'm on the final case.

I'm finally making an effort to finish up Nintendo Land. I'm never in my life going to try and 100% the game, but I do want to get a star on each attraction and unlock the end credits. I'd love to start working harder on beating my Wii U games.

So far I've finished all of the single player attractions, and I did 30 matches in Mario Chase to get the star on that. I'm currently working on Zelda Battle Quest, which has been pretty fun. It seems like the team attractions are longer, but you only have to worry about one stage at a time. The single player attractions were probably the hardest things in the game, so it should be smooth sailing from here. 🙂

Chakan: The Forever Man.  I think people probably play this for like 5 minutes and then quit, but it's a solid game once you learn the moves and have an idea of what you're doing.  There are still some incredibly frustrating and broken parts later on ( mainly the dragonfly and lava levels ), but I like the atmosphere and there are moments where everything kind of clicks.  Definitely worth a 2nd look if you've ever been interested in it ( I would also recommend to start with practice mode so you can learn what the alchemy flasks do ).

• Like 1