IGNORED

What are you currently playing?

Reed Rothchild

12 hours ago, Redmond said:

Chakan: The Forever Man.  I think people probably play this for like 5 minutes and then quit, but it's a solid game once you learn the moves and have an idea of what you're doing.  There are still some incredibly frustrating and broken parts later on ( mainly the dragonfly and lava levels ), but I like the atmosphere and there are moments where everything kind of clicks.  Definitely worth a 2nd look if you've ever been interested in it ( I would also recommend to start with practice mode so you can learn what the alchemy flasks do ).

Hmmm, forgot about this. Now, I want to play 🙂

The premise is... well, very much like Dark Souls in many ways. I honestly wonder if Miyazaki was inspired by Chakan? I wonder if we'll ever know?

• Like 1

I can’t stay focused so I’m going back and forth between the following:

GTA Chinatown Wars on DS. Been in my collection for a while and I popped it in for no reason. It’s a fantastic game. One interesting mechanic is that you actually have to destroy chasing cop cars to get rid of the wanted stars. Of course going to a Spray n Paint is also an option. So they basically used the GTA3/Vice City/San Andreas formula but presented it from a top-down view like the first games. I’m always getting sidetracked buying/selling drugs and purchasing properties lol. 

Donkey Kong Country 1/2/3 on SNES. Decided to beat the 3 SNES games so I pick up my SNES controller every other day to progress through that.

Vandal Hearts on PS1. Among my favorite  PS1 RPGs and definitely my favorite Tactictal RPG. I love the bloody kills, the story is what you’d expect (war, revolution, treason) and the job system is so simplistic it’s almost not worth toying with, except to unlock a special class but I’m not bothering with that this time around.

Ken Griffey Jr Presents MLB. I’m about halfway through a season, playing 2-3 games every week. This game did not have the MLBPA license, but Nintendo actually used accurate  player numbers, positions and attributes so what I did is pick Montreal and renamed the entire roster to match the ‘93-‘94 Expos (who would have won the World Series if it weren’t for the lock-out FIGHT ME) and I’m taking the team to glory.

LASTLY, whenever I need a break from the previous, I play a translated ROM of King of Demons for SNES. It’s a very solid action platformer. There’s a lot going on there what with a double jump, a familiar that can attack, and levels where you morph into one of 4 demons! Try it if you haven’t.

Edited by WhyNotZoidberg
  • Like 1

Editorials Team · Posted

Lots going on right now

Stardew Valley - Over halfway through the first year.  I think I'll probably give the game two years, with a break in-between years one and two.  That'll be over 40 hours.

Elden Ring - Pretty addicting.  At 25 hours, and taking a pause so that I don't binge the whole game.  I like to take my time with super immersive games, taking years even.

Far Cry 5 - over halfway through.  It's definitely a Far Cry game.  And I have a lot of thoughts as a Montanan with family ties to some of the "religious groups" that directly inspired this game.

Nier Automata - Just started.  Very fun, and very reminiscent of Astral Chain, which is a good thing.  I guess it makes sense that during the AC reveal I thought it was NA.

I finished Sonic Lost World today, and I've been going back and cleaning things up. I've picked up all of the red rings in the first four worlds, and there are two stages in the other three worlds where I haven't picked them all up. I also played through the hidden world that opens up after the main story, which was pretty difficult. The stages in the hidden world were pretty creative though, with the final one in particular being unlike any other level I've ever played. A very strange, but fun finale stage.

Once I get all of the red rings, I'll have to decide if going for S-Ranks in time attack is something worth doing. Some of those later stages I'm not too thrilled with the idea of getting through without dying. There's also Omochao missions if I ever finish time attack.

In September and October I played and beat the following:

Super Mario Land 1,2,3
Wario Land 2,3,4
Final Fantasy Adventure

All great games ranging from about 6-8 on a scale out of 10 in my opinion. 

I played through Super Mario Bros 2 the other night, beat all levels with no warps. Great game.

What I like to do is do a longer game, then do some shorter games in between. So the last longer game I played was Donkey Kong 64 which I finished in mid September. Then I did all of these.

Now, I'm finally starting Earthbound for the first time ever. So far, I am enjoying it!

6 hours ago, Dr. Morbis said:

I'm playing through this Famicom RPG called Madara, and I just came across this guy guarding a bridge, who has got to have one of the best taunts I've seen in a long while:

Madara-1.JPG.068eaa31333e84f793d339b1c47141f3.JPG

Wow... I think the most shocking thing I remember from the NES is Hitler's head exploding... which is cool! I love it when Nazis explode and die horrible deaths 🙂

002-bionic-commando-front-final-457x640.

• Haha 1

The third image in that series of sprites looks like it's out of a Spy Vs Spy comic. XD

I'm still working on clearing up the red rings in Sonic Lost World, with only three stage left to clean up. I've also made a breakthrough in a Wii game that I really like, where I've started to knock out the final three in-game achievements. Now there's only one achievement left, and thankfully it's far simpler than the other two I knocked out the past week. The final achievement is to clear all of the stages on hard mode, of which I've done twelve out of thirty.

I got all of the red rings in Sonic Lost World and unlocked Super Sonic! It's kind of hard to gather fifty rings depending on the stage, and his usefulness is debatable is a bunch of stages too. It's still a fun unlock though, and collecting all of the red rings was fun regardless.

I've started going for all the S Ranks in Time Attack mode, which is something I'll usually do for Sonic games. I started off with the final boss as per usual, and I've been tackling some of the harder stages first. I got an S Rank on that stupid snowball level, which was really hard, but overall fun.

Edited by PekoponTAS

On 12/1/2022 at 1:29 PM, Dr. Morbis said:

I'm playing through this Famicom RPG called Madara, and I just came across this guy guarding a bridge, who has got to have one of the best taunts I've seen in a long while:

Madara-1.JPG.068eaa31333e84f793d339b1c47141f3.JPG

I've heard this one is really tough.  How is it going for you?

4 hours ago, CMR said:

I've heard this one is really tough.  How is it going for you?

The very beginning is a chore because it's one of those games where you can barely win one battle at the start, so I spent an hour grinding outside the starting town right off the bat and healing at the inn all the time, but once I got a particular spell, the game became retard easy for like 10 hours, until they just took my strongest character away for "plot reasons."  But once I get him back, I hear it goes back to being super easy again until the final boss, who's supposed to be an absolute bitch.  But I'm about halfway right now, so I'll probably have her done in a couple of days...

• Like 1

I've beaten Madara 1 and that all sounds about right. It's got some neat and weird aspects but is not a fun game to actually play. Would not recommend unless you're gonna use it as a playable RPG-themed side activity on another window (for the most part the battles pretty much play themselves) while you listen to or watch something else.

On 12/3/2022 at 2:30 PM, MagusSmurf said:

I've beaten Madara 1 and that all sounds about right. It's got some neat and weird aspects but is not a fun game to actually play. Would not recommend unless you're gonna use it as a playable RPG-themed side activity on another window (for the most part the battles pretty much play themselves) while you listen to or watch something else.

Yeah good game in terms of story, graphics, and especially music, but the boring redundant battles combined with a super high encounter rate ruin what would be a great Famicom title.

Anyway, I just beat the game, and my advice to anyone finding/reading this post in the future is to set your battle speed to 1 (slowest) right before the final boss.  This way the battle moves along at an absolute crawl, but it gives you time to appropriately react and counter every single move the boss makes.  I succeeded first try doing this (and pre-buffing every single buff spell on every single character before the battle).

I won't be playing Madara ever again, but I would say it's worth a single playthrough for anyone who likes unrefined 8-bit RPG's...

• 2 weeks later...
Graphics Team · Posted

I've been working on Steel Empire [GEN] lately, but I can't figure out how to survive when the final boss starts shooting walls of fire that span the entire height of the screen.

Does anyone have some pointers that they'd care to share? I know most people consider this an easy shoot-em-up, but I'm still getting wrecked here...

-CasualCart

• Like 1

Bust A Move 99.  At first it seems like something I would really like, but I've realized I actually hate it.  The balls don't stick the way you think they would and difficulty is random.  The CPU will crush you three times in a row, but then you'll win without even hardly trying.  It doesn't make sense.